the Rift

[PRIVATE] its not that hard to say goodbye

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali

I had flown over every place I could think of, just hoping to spot Dragomir from the air, but I continuously came up empty. I'd landed in the meadow a while ago and had walked to the grove that he had shown me earlier in the season, the one that was filled with so many wildflowers, but he wasn't there. I didn't spot him near the Throat, or in the Blood Falls where the first God Battle had taken place. The last place I could think of was the island where the Earth God's battle had been. It was the last place that I had seen my friend and I hoped with everything I had that I would find him lingering there soaking up the solitude that the island had to offer.

I sighed and stretched my legs toward the ground and I flared my wings out to slow my decent, but the wind catching against my wing made it ache even more than it usually did. When my hooves touched the ground I tucked my wings against my side. I winced because even after so much time had passed since the fight where it was injured my wing still hurt when I used it too much. I wondered if it would ever get better and I worried that it would eventually get so bad that I wouldn't be able to fly anymore. I couldn't imagine being limited to just walking wherever I wanted to go.

It was a short walk to the beach from where I had landed and I waded into the water to cool myself because I had worked up a bit of a sweat with all the flying and searching that I was doing. I realized as I stood there in the water that the sun was beginning to set. That I had been away from home all day searching for someone who didn't want to be found. I was sad and defeated and was beginning to think that I needed to accept that Dragomir had left again. The most painful part, though, was that he had left again without telling me goodbye.

"."

Mother, make me
Make me a big tall tree
So I can shed my leaves and let it blow through me

@Rhoa

aud pixel!

Rhoa Posts: 175
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 3 HP: 65 | Buff: ENDURE
Odd

rhoa
        I WALK IN THE AIR, BETWEEN THE RAIN, THROUGH MYSELF & BACK AGAIN.
           To where? I don't know

Where have I been?

Ambling around. I've been here or there, and everywhere in between. I've wandered, roamed, and scoured the earth. I've been searching for meaning, purpose, if you want to know. Have I found it, you'll ask. Well, no. I haven't. But in that, I have found some peace.

I have come to terms with a few things. Mother and Ivezho are gone. They have left, onto better things perhaps, or perhaps they have simply grown tired of the life that Helovia affords. I don't blame or fault them for that. I have grown poetic in my wantings of them - like they are some dream that I aspire to remember and record, but not one that I long to touch any longer. They are gone, and I realize that now. 

I will carry their burden with me always, but my shoulders have grown strong enough to endure the weight of their memory.

"Jiji?" I mumble the word - her name - to myself, as she spans across my vision, like a daydream. She is all black and gold and youthful beauty against the roughness of the sea. It coalesces and dances around her body, and my mouth waters with jealousy. How lovely it must be for the sea to have so many final goodbyes? How many wade into its depths and sing their hearts to its vastness?

How amazing to be so privileged. 

"Jiji!" I call again, louder and this time to her, rather than for my own benefit. I suddenly want her to know that I am here, for I cannot bear my own loneliness in her presence. She rouses in me a rarely roused happiness. Her beauty boasts of happier times, and scolds me for being sad in her presence. Willingly, I move towards her.

"Jiji!"

I barely heard the voice over the waves and at first I thought it was Dragomir calling for me and that I had been wrong about him leaving again. But when I turned my head and looked back over my shoulder it wasn't Dragomir that I saw. Drago wasn't that dark and his legs weren't striped and he definitely didn't have wings that glowed like embers from a fire. There was only one boy stallion that I knew of that looked like that

"... Rhoa?" I turned to face him more fully and I stared because Rhoa was another one that had just disappeared without saying much of anything. It was baffling how many could just leave so easily and then come right back. Honestly, I didn't know Rhoa that well other than he was Gaucho's son and that his presence was something that was surprisingly comforting. I'd been able to confide my fears and doubts in myself when Gaucho had offered me the position of artisan and he'd been nothing but supportive.

There were many things that I could have said and asked. "Hey. Hi. It's been a while. Good to have you back. How are you? Where have you been? Why did you leave? Why are you back? Are you staying or visiting? Did you go back to the Throat? What did you see when you left? Whats outside of Helovia's borders?" But the first thing that flew out of my mouth was the last thing we'd really talked about. "I didn't make your shoes yet, I'm sorry." It was sheepish and embarrassed because I had promised him long before he'd disappeared that I would make them.

"...I can make them now." I offered to make amends even though I guess I really didn't need to because he was the one that had left. "Are you coming home?"

"."

Mother, make me
Make me a big tall tree

@Rhoa

Odd

rhoa
           To where? I don't know

I do what I never have been able to, even though it's a facade. I appear easy. The wind tangles and buffets against my mane - and as if it is my choice, I allow it. Tangles of unobtrusive gray are pulled backwards, dancing and billowing. I move with the elegance of Sohalia, but the confidence of Gaucho. It is in my blood, even if their love isn't, and I stride forward. Confident, muscular, whole. I appear unbroken. Perhaps I am now. Perhaps the wisdom of loneliness has finally fused my cracks. Or perhaps they are simply apart of me now.

Ranjiri is an easy, and fixed part of my past. She lingers there, beautifully broken, in the Veins. Her hard work and metal-workings litter the Throat, and she always greets me with an easy honesty. In that, she is so beautiful. She is unrefined. Her family is broken, her kin murdered or dead. But her eyes glow with some sort of possibility, whether it be for failure or accomplishment. But never with the uncertainty of ending it all, as mine have. Only now, before her, I inhale deeply. I feel whatever it is that dusts off of her with such a fluid grace, filling me, and I am sure that my eyes shine as hers do - even if she is unaware of their light.

"It's nothing-" I laugh, somehow sounding lighthearted and breezy. My embered wing shrugs with my words, emphasizing that it is nothing. And for once, it is. I am not disappointed in having been forgotten, but instead I merely rejoice in being in the presence of one who knows me. Ranjiri might not believe she knows me well, but who, if we were to instigate an argument, knows me better? My absent Father? My distant and disappeared twin?

"I've missed you."

I don't care how it sounds. If it's too personal for the meager friendship we have. I don't care if I should feel ashamed, because I don't. I want to tell her that I"ve missed her, because suddenly, an overwhelming tidal wave of longing has sloshed in my belly, and that can only mean that I have indeed missed her, even if I have only just realized it now.

He said it was nothing when I admitted to not making the shoes that he had requested so long ago, but I still felt guilty even if I shouldn't have. I didn't forget.I hadn't wanted to make the shoes without him being there. I hadn't known where he'd gone off to or when he'd be back and now I found myself wishing that I had them as a sort of 'welcome home, I hope you stay' present. "I'm going to make them." I promised. "I just couldn't find you and I didn't want to make them too big or too small where you couldn't use them and then there were these battles..." I started to explain as I left the water and walked toward Rhoa. "And these ... monsters and..."

"I've missed you..."

I was stunned into silence because the only ones that ever told me that they missed me were Ros and Cera. I was used to being overlooked and forgotten about and not missed. To hear it coming from someone that I didn't really know on an intimate level felt good. It was like I mattered to someone that I wasn't related to and it made a smile spread across my face that I don't think I could have hidden even if I wanted to. "I missed you, too." I said and I reached my muzzle toward his once I was close enough. Honestly, I don't think I would feel the relief or tinge of happiness that I did if I hadn't missed the dark stallion. If I hadn't missed him I would have been thoroughly disappointed to find him standing there instead of Dragomir.

"I'm glad you're back." I murmured as I withdrew my muzzle. "Are you coming home?" I asked again, because he hadn't answered me the first time I asked it and I felt this burning need to know if he was going to be back in the Throat with me. "Are you staying with us?"

"."

Mother, make me
Make me a big tall tree

@Rhoa

aud pixel!

Odd

rhoa
           To where? I don't know

I smiled.

It felt nice, to feel the muscles of my muzzle pull upwards, tightening the soft purple-gray skin. She says that she will make them, and subtly shifts the blame onto me for being away. I nod - agreeing with her in full. It is my fault, and I welcome the soft indictment that her words direct my way. My smile broadens - not to displace my guilt - but merely to dislodge it. Somehow something as inconsequential as shoes matter very little to me. And why should it, when I am in the presence of one such as Ranjiri? Daughter of Ktulu and Midas - sister of Hototo. Fighter of battles, wager of wars, and molder of metals. She is an amazon, strong in her resolve to continue unabashed against a world which seeks to crush her.

Did I mention that I find her so beautiful in her trauma?  

My smile fades at the talk of monsters. I had ... avoided them. They proved too much for the soft and malleable resolve that was filled my core. I couldn't face them. If I had ..

I would have let them kill me.

My smile is gone now, but not the light in my eyes. I didn't go, and so I am here. I am here, although others are not. Like this Dragomir, of whom I know nothing. But if he were, I would not, and I would not have told Jiji of my missing. In that, I suppose I can be thankful of my ignorance.

I missed you, too.

The smile that reappears is unintentionally boyish and charming. "Not the way I've missed you." I correct, and am in no way trying to be suave or smooth. My lips betray my subtle hesitancy and speak my thoughts earnestly, and a bright spark in my gaze underscores the sentiment. I am just being honest; I have missed her with part of my soul, and though I know she shouldn't feel the same - and likely doesn't - I am unabashed in my honesty. For too long have those around me hid their true feelings. I shan't be one of them. 

She asks of home again. I inhale deeply, a smile creasing my eyes. I think I have started smiling as a dense mechanism - rather than fading darkly away in the backdrop. Is it an improvement? "Ah-" I begin, allowing my sea-green gaze to pull in the depths of the ocean around us. "Very likely..It's...difficult.."

Then, I realize how silly I am being. 

My gaze easily shifts back to Ranjiri, somehow settling relaxedly into her gaze. "I'm sure you understand."

"I like your smile." I blurted it out when he smiled at me, but I really didn't feel embarrassed by it. "Its really nice." I wanted to tell him that he should smile more, but I knew well enough how hard it could be to work up a smile when all I really wanted to do was frown. I knew how exhausting it could be to keep up a smile once I finally managed to find one and plaster it on my face. I would not tell him to smile more and put that pressure on him to make me happy. I just hoped that Rhoa would find a reason to keep smiling like that because he deserved it.

"Not the way I've missed you."

"Huh?" My head tilted and I stared at Rhoa, my confusion shining bright in my eyes. "How many ways are there to miss someone?" I asked, genuinely confused because I honestly didn't know. I just knew that I genuinely cared about everyone in the Throat (that I met) and I missed them when they were gone and longed for them to return, just like I missed and longed for Ros when she was away. It was the same way that I longed for and missed my mother, father, and my brother. 

When he finally answered my question about returning to the Throat it wasn't one that boasted of promise. It was doubtful and hesitant and I looked down at my sand covered hooves to try to keep Rhoa from seeing my disappointment. "Oh." Was all I said even though I wanted to tell him "But I want you to come home with me." It was not my place to force Rhoa back to the Throat, especially if it was a place that he didn't want to be.

"I'm sure you understand."

"I do." I admitted, which was exactly why I wasn't going to tell Rhoa that I wanted him back in the Throat though I wanted him there. If he wasn't going to be happy, if he wasn't going to smile then why try to force my wants on him? It would be exactly like me living in the Falls and having a constant reminder every morning when I opened my eyes of what had been there that I'd lost and couldn't have back. I wouldn't even ask him if he'd visit because I didn't want to force him to make a promise to visit a place that he wasn't sure he wanted to live in.

"How've you been?" I asked and I lifted my head to meet Rhoa's gaze again. "Where'd you go? Did you see anything interesting?" Meet anyone? But I didn't voice that last question. I didn't know where it had come from or why it mattered, so I stood with my ears tilted toward Rhoa as I waited for him to answer the questions I continuously bombarded him with.

"."

Mother, make me
Make me a big tall tree

@Rhoa

aud pixel!

Odd

rhoa
        I WALK IN THE AIR, BETWEEN THE RAIN, THROUGH MYSELF & BACK AGAIN.
           To where? I don't know

The corners of my lips turn downward as she comments on my smile, as if forbidding my lips from wrapping upwards any further. It is a selfless and modest movement, but silently I thank her for noticing. Though I am not surprised that she has.

Her question spreads delight across my features, and my head tilts silently as I contemplate the best way to respond. "Surely you do not miss the warmth of spring the same way you miss the warmth of a lover?" My voice betrays me only for a moment, and something like a force smile pushes itself onto my features. Why was it that I suddenly felt cold and hostile at the thought of Ranjiri with a lover? I knew I had no right, and yet my inward and idealistic heart pushed itself into my throat. Clearing it, I looked away for a moment, allowing my easy smile to once again grace my features. 

Why shouldn't one as beautiful and steadfast as Ranjiri take a lover? Why should it bother me?

"Or the way one misses the tangy fruit of a cactus with the way one recalls a fond memory?" My words again are unburdened and I continue mostly untroubled by the thoughts of Ranjiri (beautiful Ranjiri) with another. "There are a multitude ways of missing." I conclude with clear eyes and am untroubled smile. 

"I have been searching." I respond instantly, eagerly. My eyes focus on hers and I am drowning in the desire to extend our conversation - this moment - forever. "I did not find what I was looking for .. but perhaps that was for the best...There were many sights that tugged at my attention, many who sought my attention. But none so lovely as those here, in Helovia. In the Throat." A weightiness pulls down my voice, but I do my best to breathe through it. 

I am Rhoa. The last. But that is alright.

"And you? Have you been well?" I asked with a genuine concern and interest. Tell me everything

Rhoa tried to explain it, but it was still something I didn't understand because I'd never had a lover before. I'd never thought about ... giving myself to anyone in that way before and I probably wouldn't have for a while longer if Rhoa hadn't brought it up. "I've never had a lover." I admitted and for whatever reason I wasn't embarrassed to admit it to Rhoa. Not like I had been when I'd offhandedly mentioned it to Mister Archibald so many seasons ago. I was a little bit older now, though, and I couldn't see the problem with not having let touch me like that. But Rhoa had, hadn't he? How else would he know what the touch of a lover felt like? "...so I really don't know what missing that is like." I shrugged a bit because it really wasn't a big deal to me right then. How could I be upset about not having something that I'd never experienced?

His explanation did move on to something that I could relate to and I did understand that, because I knew missing the way the clover tasted in the Foothills was different from the memories I had of learning to fly with my dad and Gaucho. "How did you miss me?" I asked, because that part I didn't understand. I wasn't Rhoa's lover and yet he said he missed me in a way that was different from how I had missed him. Why? How?

As he answered my questions it only lead to more questions, but the only one I asked was one that was probably none of my business. "What were you looking for?" He said that others sought his attention and I supposed that I could understand. He certainly was handsome and his family was full of strong warriors. It was really no wonder that he'd found himself a lover (I was basing this assumption purely on the fact that he'd mentioned missing the touch of a lover). "Oh..."  I wondered over who he thought was lovely in the Throat, but I didn't give that question a voice because it really wasn't any of my business, just as it wasn't my business what he'd been searching for.

"And you? Have you been well?"

"I suppose." I said when I could have said that I was fine, but if I was anything at all I was honest. And it helped that I was comfortable enough around Rhoa to tell him what was bothering me "My wing's been bothering me." As I said it I stretched it out, frowning at the way it ached into my shoulder. "I hurt it in a battle... the first battle when the gods started coming back, actually. This ... giant bear came through and we were fighting it and someone attacked my wing and it really hasn't been right since." But at least I could still fly. I could deal with the ache as long as I wasn't stuck having to walk everywhere. "There were three other battles..." I said shortly after. "I got this in one and this in another." I motioned to the fang that I'd gotten from the Moon Goddess' battle and the blood I'd gotten from the tiger battle there were hanging around my neck. "You can have one if you want..." Because I still wasn't sure I wanted either of them.

"I made some keys for the bridge." I said happily moving on from talk about battles and I laughed when I said it. "My keys were so ugly compared to Cera's. I don't know how he can make them so effortlessly. And two at a time!" I just needed more practice, I guessed, and that was exactly what I hadn't been doing.

"."

Mother, make me
Make me a big tall tree

@Rhoa

aud pixel!

Odd

rhoa
           To where? I don't know

It surprises me that she says she's never had a lover. I briefly wonder if that entails she hasn't loved, or if she just hasn't been with anyone. Perhaps both. Still, I feel a flare of optimism and possibility bubble up through a malnourished spring in my chest - a fount I've not really felt in any meaningful capacity before. 

"Ah." I say simply, my dark lashes lowering with acknowledgement. 

As she asks how she has been missed, I pause. My hips shift slightly as I allow myself to stand in a more comfortable, albeit casual position, as I think on her words. How have I missed her? The ways seem enumerable, and yet when I try to reach out and grab at one, it floats idly away. Closing my eyes, I exhale slowly, allowing myself a moment to fall into the rhythm of my thoughts before speaking.

"I missed you like I would miss a cool spring on a hot day. Not merely because it quenches your thirst, but because of how it revives you. I missed you the way the cactus in the throat miss the rain, and how they blossom ever bigger and brighter, revealing their secret hearts, as the rain welcomes them back to the world. I have been cold, Jiji-" Unapologetically my eyes seek out hers. I am being foolish, in this plight of poetry, but it doesn't matter. No one had told me that they love me, my family has gone, and there is nothing on the earth for me, if not for the words I can offer others. I have nearly died countless times, and was on the verge of madness. Whatever pulled my back filled me now, and it just felt right, how foolish and flowery it might sound, to speak my heart to her. 

Even if we were little more than strangers. 

"- and I have been lost. I have missed you like a sailor misses the north star, when all he sees are storm clouds."

I gather my slow-burning wings around my shoulders, as she asks what it was I was looking for. "Ghosts." I reply simply, sadness diluting the bright spark of my gaze. 

I listen as she describes the battles and her injury. I long to reach out and touch her wing, to see if it feels inflamed or hot, but I resist. It's easier to reach her with my words, than it is with my touch. I've never had a lover. Her words echo in my ears, and I keep my wings to myself. 

As she offers me a token, I politely decline by shaking my head. Pale and sooty tresses gently knock against my cheek with the motions of my skull. "I carry enough death with me for now." I reply playfully, though my words are earnest and sincere. 

"Ah! You're still a crafter then?" The thought makes me smile. When I left, I was a crafter. Would I be again, if and should I return? Would we work together? "The beauty of anything is in its utility. If the keys work, then they are as beautiful as Cera's." I offer reassuringly.

To say that I was confused by Rhoa would be putting it very mildly. What he described was lovely, a cool spring on a hot day, the rain in the desert, the blooming cactus... but I didn't understand and if he paid attention he would likely see it in my eyes, but would he understand? Would he know that internally I was questioning what he was telling me and wondering why he would miss me like he said? I'd not had many interactions with Rhoa, but we had been in the same herd up until the point that he'd disappeared. We'd seen each other on occasion, be it at herd meetings or in passing and only a few times had we stopped and actually had conversation.

How could he miss me?

Why would he miss me?

And if he could miss me like that then why would he leave without saying goodbye?

He continued on, though, and told me that he's been cold then, again, how he's missed me and I couldn't stay silent any longer and just listen. "Then why did you leave?" I finally asked. "Why... without telling me bye?" I frowned and I stared and I felt myself doubting every word he was saying because how could he stand there and tell me how he missed me, how could he make it sound so fanciful, and lovely, and wonderfully flattering when he obviously hadn't thought enough of me to tell me bye? "How can you think enough of someone to miss them like that but not think enough of them to bid them farewell?" How could he do it? How could Dragomir do it? How could Toto and Ryuu and Momma and Daddy and everyone I cared about  all just leave without telling me bye? Was that too much to ask? Was I being selfish for wanting that closure?

But right at that moment wasn't the time for me to crumble and fall apart. I needed to be brave and strong and act as if his confession (if that was what it was) hadn't brought with it bad feelings about everyone else that I cared about that had just left. I needed to act as if I were simply curious and hope that my tone hadn't reflected just how confused and hurt I was, so when he asked if I was still a crafted I offered a small smile and nodded. "I ... need a lot more practice." I said with a shake of my head. "I'm not that good at it yet." Which was a shame because I hadn't wanted to disappoint Gaucho and I thought that if he saw the keys I'd made, functional or not, he would be disappointed that I hadn't practiced more.

"."

Mother, make me
Make me a big tall tree

@Rhoa

aud pixel!

Odd

rhoa
           To where? I don't know

I would have elaborated on the topic, should she have asked it of me. But how could I even begin to annunciate the feeling of overwhelming joy, and warmth, and being found, that I experienced when I encountered her, only moments before? How could anyone make sense of those phenomenological moments when the world just seems to knit itself back together in a way which just makes sense. Perhaps it is better that she did ask. I am not sure how to reveal the flowing cockles of my heart to her; not just yet anyways. Perhaps I will later.

Then why did you leave? Why... without telling me bye?

"I didn't know that I was leaving, until I was long gone." I replied, my gaze easy, soft, honest. And it was true, too. I just wandered, searching and looking. Eventually my wanderings carried me too far away to go home empty handed. The ghosts I was trailing pulled me further, and I allowed them their way with me. What else could I do? I knew then - and now - that my asymmetrical feelings towards those I held dear were not enough to keep me. I was not missed, not the way that I missed. But then, my love has always been one sided, and in that I understand Jiji's question perfectly, for it is one I have wondered often. How could they just leave me?

"In chasing those who left me, I left others. I committed the sort of injustices of the heart that I was struggling to sentence my family to.." My shoulders shrugged, the weight of the ironic twist of fate not lost upon me. "I won't do it again." A promise. Perhaps not to her - at least, not in the way which would suggest I was pledging myself to her. Merely a window into my heart. I would not leave. My ghosts were gone, and I was back.

"You have a lifetime to practice." I responded with an easy wave of my wing and a smile.

"I wonder what I'll do ... Already you're leaps and bounds ahead of whatever meagre crafting skills I possessed. Perhaps I shall be a warrior again." I offer casually, as if to solicit any advice she might have on the subject. 

"I did not know that I was leaving, until I was long gone."

I couldn't help but stare and wonder if that was what it was like for everyone that just left? Did they just go for a walk and not stop? Did they not realize that they were leaving everything behind until they finally looked and noticed that everything around them was totally unfamiliar? Was it really that easy to leave behind everyone that cared about you, and everyone that you cared about? I couldn't fathom just walking and not stopping. I couldn't imagine just leaving everyone I cared about behind and I guess that's why I'm always the one being left. Some are destined to leave and some are destined to be left, its just our lot in life.

"In chasing those who left me, I left others. I committed the sort of injustices of the heart that I was struggling to sentence my family to.."

I was guilty of chasing after everyone that left me behind as well, but there was one big difference between Rhoa and myself-- I didn't leave. I was mindful of everyone that I loved and I stayed. I didn't want to subject them to the same hurt that came with being left, abandonment, whatever you want to call it. I knew how much it hurt, but I also knew the desire to find the ones that you loved and hold them close and tell them to never leave you again, so I couldn't hold it against him completely. There's a desperation that comes with wanting the ones you care about to be with you again. We all feel it, I think, and we all handle it differently.

"Promise?" I asked when he said that he wouldn't do it again, but really what use were promises when they were typically broken?

The conversation turned quickly back to crafting and I nodded when he said I had a lifetime to practice. It was true, I supposed, but I didn't agree when he said that I was probably leaps and bounds ahead of where he had been. "To be that advanced I would have had to practice... which I didn't." I shrugged as if it weren't a big deal, but I did feel guilty. I felt like I was letting Gaucho down, which was something I never ever wanted to do. "You could..." I agreed when he suggested becoming a warrior. "But the offer to be my crafting partner still stands." I smiled a little and I wondered if he would even remember, forever ago when we stood talking in the grove, that I asked if he would be my partner.

"."

Mother, make me
Make me a big tall tree

@Rhoa

aud pixel!