the Rift

[PRIVATE] Each Piece Of My Broken Heart

Brisa Posts: 386
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 15.4 :: 7 HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Hikari :: Common Kitsune :: Fire nickel

Standing upon the highest peak the grey mare looked down upon the ocean with confusion not knowing which way to turn down her life's path. So many things had changed yet others seemed to have taken a rash turn down a path of unforeseen turbulence that just seemed ready to turn her life upside down at any moment. Curling her head down she clutches the magnificent treasure to her chest where it hung suspended in a cradle of vines and branches. The steady beat of the heart within was comforting and gave her hope for a new life she could cherish and love forever. While she yearned for another that belonged to her on a more personal level for now she would settle for the little creature relying so much on her care and nurturing until it would reveal itself to the world. Thinking back to the elephant she couldn't help but smile as the gentle giants song  started to play within her mind. She would always remember the tune of the woman who had given her such a precious little bundle of joy to share her life with.

Taking a deep breath the girl finally gathered what Kaj had left her of her heart and allowed it to consume the warmth given so freely by her egg. Things would work out eventually, they just had to. Picking up a free flowing tune she began to hum along to the rhythm of her heart hoping that the babe would enjoy what little she could muster. This was one of her favourite places in Helovia and she had wanted to come here to think all things through in the peace of the ocean's lullaby. "I know you can't hear me but I want you to know that you are safe and will forever have your own piece of my heart." While her intentions were pure and true she still held onto that sliver of hope that just maybe her thoughts would somehow be passed along to her companion growing inside the fiery crimson egg. She wanted to let him or her know that no matter what she would always be there and not to worry, she could only hope that her confusion over her relationship with her pegasus didn't carry over to the child. "If only you could talk to me... I'm sure that you would make everything better."  

After awhile underneath the bright sun racking her brain to try and find a plausible solution the pale girl carefully freed herself from the sling to let her precious egg rest in the shade of one of the few trees dotting the coastline. Ensuring that it was tucked away in a crevice and secured so it would not roll away she returned to stare down into the water. It had been so long since she had taken a dip in the cold water nevermind jumped from this height like she had used to in her time before becoming a mother, but it was ever so tempting. The other bonus to this would be the benefit of helping to clear her mind from all the depressing news that seemed to be taking her all at once these days. Taking a steadying breath to calm her frantic heartbeat her hooves touched the cliff's edge sending down a spray of tiny stones into the churning water below. From the looks of it there was no looming rocks waiting to bash her skull in from here and plus it was a lower section of the wall anyway, she would be fine she was just being a wimp. Snorting softly against the faint breeze she closed her eyes and pushed herself forward in one swift movement before she had a chance to hesitate further.

It was a strangely satisfying feeling to have the wind bustling up around you but the least fun part of the trip was the terrifying sensation of falling into the great unknown. If the gods were watching over her they would not let something bad happen to her she just needed to believe. The last thing she remembered was breaking through the surface of the water, a sharp pain to the side of her head before everything faded into darkness.

Brisa talks

•• TAGS: @Kaj  •• NOTES: Isn't dead lol Jumped in and caught her head on some rocks under the surface rendering her unconscious. Will leave a small/medium gash on the back of her head that will bleed. ••

Table by Moonstone Designs
[Image: brisa_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobm.png]
-- Please Tag Me In Posts --
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --
Icon base: Bronzehalo

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

The bronze creature scours the earth, exploring and poking its nose into pockets he has not experienced or seen. He is born anew, a mighty beast once more, emotional burdens lifted from his soul. He remembers that he blocked his memories, can guess as to which with how some faces flash briefly in his memories where the gaps lie. Kahlua he knows only by name and face, for how he has so intently destroyed any recollection he has of her. But after leading the Edge with her for so long, he cannot remove her completely, nor can he destroy all the memories he has of Evangeline, though her name still escapes him even now. It does not bother him, the blank spots that he drags his palms across, the static ache he can feel when he presses against them quizzically. He had removed them for a reason, and if Miykael had been telling the truth regarding the state he'd been in when he'd sought out the painted healer, well...he did not want them back. That he had apparently fallen so far, become so weak, still made his lips flutter with the desire to curl with distaste. He had failed not only himself, but those around him. His herd, which had always been stone number one for him. 

One thing he had to get used to was his injured shoulder. He had perfect clarity regarding that memory, but he was handling it far differently than...Other Kaj. He had no other term for the soft-bodied babe, for he felt they were two entirely different beings. It was easier to kill the idea of him, embrace his own newness - which felt less like newness and more like solidification, with how he did not feel as though he had lost anything, since he could not remember the memories at all - and simply disassociate completely from the fool Other Kaj had been. His shoulder was a badge of pride, not of weakness, and he would wear it proudly. He would fix the stupid mistakes Other Kaj had made, and quickly. He would not have such weakness tied to his name, the one that had prompted the initial title of Storm Bringer. With age he had become wise, accepted that he had changed enough to become the Aurelight, but not in the way Other Kaj had been. 

Everything about him was new, but achingly old and familiar. He liked it. 

Flight, at least, was something he had not forgotten. Something Other Kaj had not tainted, in the remaining memories the Aurelight had. He'd simply picked up and taken off, letting the winds carried him where they desired, where Fate and the Gods - ah, and he was learning to be a man of faith now, how strange - dictated he end up. He hadn't seen the Endless Blue in literal years, but the cold breezes and salt against his face and in his nares was unmistakable. So similar to the Throat shores, where he'd lingered in his youth, but unique in its own way. He floats above the cliffs, bobbing with the curls of wind that rush and play beneath the boughs of his wings. Until he spots her, a familiar pale form against the sandy backdrop, standing at the cliffside. 

For a moment he stares, puzzled by the gaps in his memory. Why had he chosen her to erase? But then his heart stops in his chest as she foolishly leaps, flightless and delicate as she is. No matter why he had removed her from his mind, she is his friend, and she is part of his flock. Even if she were not, he could not let someone commit such a suicidal act without trying to intervene. 

His mass is drawn down fast and hot from the air, wings tucked so tight they whistle as he dives past the sheer edges of the cliffs, trying not to remember white-washed stone and thick curling mist. She isn't surfacing, and though he'd known something was wrong the moment she'd thrown herself forward, his fear ramps up immediately when he does not find her thrashing in the water against the throes of her own fate. Uncaring of his wings he slams into the water so hard it makes him dizzy, but she is a pale beacon beneath the waves and froth, and his wings are wet and useless but still capable of acting as rudders and powerful arms that push him forward towards her. Blows air out through his nostrils as he dips beneath the waves, draws her neck over his withers and begins kicking mightily, eyes like electric gems and nares blown wide and blood filled. His wing is low, supporting just below her belly as he pulls and drags her through the water, huffing like a great beast through his wet muzzle. 

The stone and sand is familiar, but it slips away from him as he tries to kick and plunder his way to shore, the sand shifting with the waves. He is stubborn and furious with fear and worry though, kicks through until he finds purchase, and lugs Brisa's form up onto the shore to deposit her shakily, his left shoulder burning so fiercely he almost follows her down to the earth as well. Grips her mane in his teeth and jerks, trying to get her to awaken if she has not already. Ignores the shaking and trembling of his leg as he grits his teeth and stares down at her, something wild and untamed in his face. "BRISA!" And he needs to see those pale lashes flutter, see those crystal eyes, reassure himself that he wasn't too late, that she's still here. One of his only friends left, one of the few things Other Kaj hadn't fucked up irreparably. 

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

If this was death, the pale maiden was no where near ready to go into the light. The last thing the girl can recall is the feeling of freedom as she leapt from the cliff down into the surf below. It had always been a way she had tried to cull her strongest emotions and try and move forward but this time had failed. Until now she had not realized the nasty pent up emotions that Kaj's rejection had scarred upon her heart. Deep and open to the world her heart ached terribly with both pain and strongest love she had ever felt. How could she feel both? It didn't make sense, but then again when did things ever make sense? When things had gone black it had taken a few moments before she could vaguely recall a soft brightness in the distance. Taking a few steps forward she stared down the brightness before she remembered that she should not be standing on land, she had been in the ocean.

Ripping her eyes open salt stung painfully as she found herself fighting against the blurred darkness. It had been a mistake to try and inhale for it only made the fight ten times harder when a water took the place air had once been. Trying to kick out her legs allowed her to come to the realization that something was dragging her body upward towards the surface and she was pretty helpless to do much else other than try and fight along with them to breach and draw in very much needed oxygen. After that memory the next thing she knew was waking to the pounding of her head and someone calling, no yelling her name. Squinting against the noise and light all she can manage is a hacking cough as she expels seawater from her airway. Groaning pitifully against the throbbing pain she tries to pull herself up only to fall as a wave of dizziness passes over her. Damn what in the hell did she do to herself this time?

Eyes flutter open once more to find a blurry figure hovering over her like a worried hen. Her heart beats rapidly when her battered brain finally manages to put two and two together. "Kaj? Is that you?" She mumbles still a little disoriented from her head injury. Looking down to the sand as a few crimson droplets fall from above she finds that she luckily managed to obtain a nice bleeding wound where that rock had made contact. Lovely yet another scar that would tarnish her pitiful self image she mused still not brave enough to attempt standing again. Things are still blurred but at least as slowly starting to become clearer. Reaching out her muzzle she searches for the comforting touch of her crush wanting to make sure that he was alright considering the last time she had seen him he had been running away from her. "Kaj?"

Brisa talks

•• TAGS: @Kaj •• NOTES: Small bleeding wound to the side of her head from where she was hit with the rock. ••

Picture Credits: Here
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --

At last his pale lamb struggles to consciousness and begins to kick against the water with him, aiding him in their pursuit of air and land. He does not cease his efforts nonetheless, gripping tight to her mane and shoving her upwards to freedom relentlessly, even as his shoulder burns and his lungs protest against the salt water that burns his throat and nostrils. She goes limp at intervals, slowing and struggling in turn, but his eyes burn with ferocity and determination. There is simply nothing to be done until she lays prone upon the sand, his own shoulder burning so fiercely he nearly joins here there. Does not simply because someone has to be the strong one, and he must save face and ensure she does not look down upon him, even if he had just saved her life. His pride keeps him standing, and he wonders for a brief moment as Brisa's eyes start to shift beneath her lids, whether Other Kaj would have joined her there sprawled shamefully across the beach. Snorts derisively and does not think on it any longer, embracing instead the frustration and ferocity that leads to raised voice and downward turned snarl of disapproval. Fear that he had lost her, that he had failed her both as lead and friend.

At last she shifts, coughing and choking, eyes blinking open and croaking hoarsely a question. "Yes," he says simply, a bark of noise for how his heart is still racing and his blood is still hot with anger at her stupidity. Kaj knew of her depression and her isolation. Had this been a suicide attempt? He frowns fiercely down upon her as she struggled to regain herself, wonders what would have happened if he had not been there to bear witness to her reckless plunge into the icy waters that chill his hide. The beach was devoid of life as he twisted his head to look while she awakened herself. She would not have lived, he decided grimly, and found himself all the angrier at her for the realization. 

He returns her touch only briefly, for her dazed eyes still inspire the barest threads of pity inside his wretched soul, for while he was no soft bellied idiot like Other Kaj, he was still no mindless, heartless beast. But he retreats from her quickly enough as his name is spoken quizzically, and he cannot contain himself any longer for how the fear and anger boils inside him. 

"I can't believe you would do something so foolish! So idiotic!" He shouts it, turns away from her and whips his wings with a sharp snapping sound that resounds between them, whisking away water and underscoring his anger in unison. He whirls to face her, sand pasted to his wet legs and chest heaving, eyes like electric blue fires and ears disappearing into his soaked mane. Pale strands play across his vision, sticking uncomfortably to his forehead, but he bears it no mind. Instead he embraces his anger, kicking up sand as he moves toward her in a sharp, aborted movement. "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!" He wants to grab her mane and shake her again, rattle her brain until it clicks that she cannot waste away her life so carelessly.

"YOU WOULD HAVE DIED IF I WASN'T HERE!" Soggy, useless wings flare wide as if cruelly inviting her to look down the beach and see for herself how it is empty. "What about Aeolus?! Why did you do this? WHY?!" He bellows it, and wonders if she can see the fear that drives him to this one sided shouting match. If she can see past the spark of anger to the terror he'd felt to see her limp and drowning in the water, fearing he would not reach her in time and that he would have to be the one to announce his failure to Aeolus, tell him that he was a full orphan at last. 

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Laying there in the sand for another couple moments of silence she closed her eyes to the world. The sloshing of the water behind her sounded much louder than it should be but then again everything was amplified by the pounding in her head. It had been a mistake to jump off that ledge but it was one she had done many times before without a problem. Leave it to her to fuck everything up on the one and only time that someone she cared about was looking, but wasn't that always the way? Coughing against the salty water burning her nostrils and throat she opened her eyes again to try and focus only to hear Kaj start into her from a little ways away.

Flicking her ears back to dull the noise she had no choice but to listen to the comments spilling forth to confirm her own thoughts from before. "I can't believe you would do something so foolish! So idiotic!" She really was in no mood to argue or try and defend herself from the harsh comments but there was some things that could not go unaddressed and this was one of them. First he walks away from her and just expects her to be alright with it, and now he comes back to save her ass from drowning and think he can lay into her? No, she didn't thing so. "YES, I SCREWED UP! She snapped back, her tone rising to rival that of Kaj's. "At least I know that and am trying to deal with my mistakes."

Having enough of sitting around she plants her front feet and hauls herself up, sidestepping as her balance is thrown for a loop by a wave of dizziness. Keeping to her feet she sways slightly before turning her head to face the wrath of Kaj head on. "Maybe I was trying not to think! Maybe I was trying to forget the fool I made of myself when you walked away!" Nothing could ever burn that picture from her mind of both of them sharing their feelings only to have Kaj turn and leave her. Wasn't he always the one telling her to believe in herself and her feelings? What good did that do her this time?

"My feelings have not changed I still love you and I will for the rest of my life. Aeolus loves having you around, he looks up to you. Why will you not believe it!" Stalking forward she turned so that she was once again staring him down. She wanted answers and this time there was no running away. "I want you in my life Kaj, don't you dare try and run away from this when you too admitted you feel the same way." Tears fell from her eyes at the sheer emotion of the situation. Nothing she had done should have driven him away, so why was he always running? What made him be that coward that he could not even stand up and let himself feel his own emotions?

"You want to know what brought me out here today? I was looking for you! I wanted to share something with my one and only friend. That is if you will stand to even look me in the eyes anymore. I cannot help what I feel, but I know that I need you in my life. You and Aeolus are my life. I fucked up today and misjudged the rocks, I wasn't trying to kill myself although in the past maybe I would have. Please Kaj, I can't go on like this any longer."

Brisa talks

•• TAGS: @Kaj •• NOTES: ••

Pale ears flick back upon the maiden's crown, white daggers and molten eyes that glare back at him. Kaj is a being of old laws and primordial language, and his body language responds in a way that Old Kaj never would have allowed it to - his wings angle themselves into a dominant configuration, drawing his impressive height and mass to impose upon her silently. He felt an appreciative flicker of warmth curl through his gut nonetheless, seeing her snap and scream back at him, lifting her soaked and trembling form from the sand to get back in his face. Does the lamb have some teeth to her after all? Yet he wondered why she spoke so freely and familiarly with him, for it stoke his anger towards her. He was her Czar! He had just SAVED HER LIFE! To speak with such a lack of formality and deference was not only a slight to his title and name, but to the actions he'd taken to ensure she survived her stupid adventure into the depths of the ocean. 

When he walked away? He startled, wings faltering and falling closer to his sides, head tilting and peering unnervingly close at her. When had he walked away from her in a way that would inspire such volatile emotions from her? Azure eyes narrowed, as if trying to find the golden thread that lay within her being so that he could pluck at it and unravel her, take her apart mercilessly, heartlessly, until the core of her truth lay bare and revealed to him. It was all he cared for, aside from perhaps putting her in her place for speaking so familiarly and disrespectfully to him. 

At least that was the plan until she really started talking nonsense. His wings dropped into himself, and he cocked his head and stared bemusedly down at her. And then of all things, she said that word. Kaj reared back, already cursing Other Kaj for his fuck up in this area. You couldn't even fucking clear this up before dumping this on me? Fucking coward. But Brisa was far from finished, and Kaj uneasily looked around them, knowing disappearing once more would just make this problem so much worse. But how was he supposed to tell her that hey, sorry your boyfriend was such a dick and that I happen to wear his face and body, but he decided to erase his memories of you? He wasn't good with the emotional side of things, and he wasn't sure how to approach this without making a big mess of things. If Other Kaj had any good attributes, at least he could handle the emotional messes of others. 

Kaj gave a great sigh, shifting to his right to take weight off his bad shoulder. Well, no time like the present.

"I'm sorry Brisa, but I simply don't remember any of that." Fuck, was that how he was supposed to do this? His empathy had been completely removed, until he was but a drone of his homeland once more, only a few good memories remaining to bolster him and render him a more fitting Helovian. "Other Kaj turned to Miykael and asked him to block our memories. It seems...he also desired to forget you, in some ways. I still remember our friendship, but nothing beyond." Uncomfortable with the confession he shuffled his hooves uncertainly. How could he word it any better? Other Kaj was a soft bellied dick and you should forget about him since he clearly forgot about you too?

"I am sorry that he hurt you," he mumbled in an attempt at comfort, eyes averting from hers. Would she find it odd that he referred to Other Kaj that way? They were two entirely different souls, in his eyes. One weak, one strong. One held to the earth by moral obligations, the other free to make the villainous decisions that needed to be made for the sake of his herd and family. His burden was a feather in comparison to a planet, for how Other Kaj had allowed himself to suffer so needlessly. 

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

In her heart she could feel each tattered edge shutter with the strength of the impact the next proclamation. Not remember... what does he mean not remember?! Biting her tongue to tame the lash that she could feel burning to leave her throat she waited for him to finish. He had done what! How could he? Red hot tears chose to streak down from her eyes at this moment as she felt the white rage build inside her gut. This was not fair! How could he do this to her? To them?

Not sure whether to run away or face the fact that she was yet again unwanted she could feel herself breaking apart beneath the facade. Each beautiful memory cut deeply into her soul turning it to ash as the painful fire destroyed everything she had held so deeply. No this couldn't be it! Shaking her head she turned her eyes to meet Kaj yet again. "I can't believe you would do something like that. Before you were no coward, you were not afraid to feel those emotions. It made you special and loved by all. Now look at you, a big coward who cannot stand to feel what makes us all alive inside." She stated her voice surprisingly strong for what she was feeling inside. With her words she could feel the fire spring to life around her coating every inch of her in marvelous blue fire. This was as raw and to the heart that she could get and to be turned away by a coward, it was something she had never seen coming.

"You remember our friendship? Well that means nothing without the rest of it!. She snapped her eyes falling to the necklace she had given him all those months ago. "That necklace I gave you meant a lot more to you than just friendship, but let me guess you don't remember that either." Pausing to try and rein back the fire that threatened to consume her she took a shaky breath pleading with the heavens to please not let this be the end of them. She had been through so much already for this to go down in flames would destroy her. Only difference was that she would not be able to come back from this again. "If our friendship meant anything to you, you would recall the memories of us and what we meant to each other. I meant it when I said I would stand by you through anything, this included just please don't shut me out."

Brisa talks

•• TAGS: @Kaj •• NOTES: Sorry for the wait, life has been killing me. ••

Her anger may have been understandable to any other soul, but Kaj could not comprehend it. He stared bewildered and unblinking as he watched her slim bodice practically vibrate with the intensity of her emotions. They scalded him, boiling water injected straight into his veins, and he hated it. Hated her, for her depravity, her sick display of such profoundly uncomfortable feelings. This was the sort of woman Other Kaj had associated with? It was a further example of how far he’d fallen. Kaj understood the importance of emotions. He was not without a soul, just reverted to the archaic soldier he’d once been before Helovia had changed him. But emotions made you blind, made your skills falters. Emotions got you killed in war. So he could appreciate them, could feel them, even cherished them with the memories he hadn’t erased from Helovia. But it still made him uncomfortable to hear her words hurled at him, her blatant insults and disrespect, when everything in him cried out for her punishment.

If this was going to become a routine, it was going to get really old, really fast.

“Other Kaj was the coward then, not I,” he corrected, tone a tad sharp with the insult he felt at being spoken down to. “It’s not that I am incapable of feeling them currently, it’s just far more strategic not to!” It was an uncomfortable sensation, to be almost pleading for her to understand, to be so uncomfortable and unsure in his own skin. Perhaps Other Kaj was used to that, but this Kaj was not. He owned his presence, his power, and he associated himself with it wholly. But this? A jaded mistress, lover, mate? Whatever she had been to him at one point in time he could not recall it, but her pain was valid and scorching against him.

The necklace felt hot and vile against his skin and he frowned hatefully down at the woman, hating her for her assumptions but incapable of hating her in the way that mattered. Because he did remember her. He remembered her gentle nature and soft laughter, he remembered how she’d relied upon him to learn and find the confidence to wield her new magic. “Of course I remember it,” he snapped defensively, chin tucking subconsciously as if to shield the necklace from her view. “I haven’t taken it off, it still means something to me.” Just because he’d forgotten any romantic developments between them didn’t me he did not care for her.

“I don’t know if Miykael can return those memories to me, and furthermore if he can do it singularly. Brisa…I’m sorry but if the only way to find those memories again is to erase every single block he put up…I can’t do that. Other Kaj was weak and a coward, and I will not become him again.” His voice was deep and grounded, rolling like thunder in his chest, eyes sad but severe. He would never fall that far, not again. It was akin to suicide, for his own mind would be erased just as Other Kaj’s was. “I’m still here now. I’m just…different.” Didn’t that mean something?

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Nothing could possibly make this day any worse than it already had become. A single misjudgment not only put her life in danger but another's stupidity left her on the brink of shattering. Closing her eyes to the stabbing wave of pain through her cranium she swayed slightly on her feet. Ok maybe it was a little more than just a bump to the head. Perhaps she might just have to hunt down Miykael and get him to check it out before she turned him into a burning heap of flesh. She was angry at the men in her life for being so careless and so inconsiderate. How could Miykael have consented to take away such things? Did he not know what the hell he was doing? What he was creating?

"You may not see it but others sure as hell do. Cowardice cannot be erased but rather be created when stupidity is allowed to call the shots." She retorted opening her eyes to glare back to the only friend she had. Was he still a friend after all this? How could she manage to call him a friend knowing he had gone to such extremes to forget her? She wasn't sure what hurt more, the knowledge of such a betrayal or the reality of her once again losing everything.

Dropping her head away she turned so she was no longer staring down the shell of her best friend. " Your not sorry for what you have done. You knew exactly what you were doing when you chose to cut me out of your life. Apparently I meant nothing to you..." She said her voice soft and hurting. "Miykael might be able to if you asked him but I suspect that you would rather just say its impossible as opposed to trying."

Watching as a couple lone drips of crimson fell from her wound to the soggy ground she couldn't bring herself to care anymore. It likely would't kill her but maybe if she hit it hard enough she might be able to forget about this entire night.
"All I see is the ghost of you standing where the rightful Kaj should be. You say you are here but you are not the one that I once knew. You are more than different now its almost as if I don't even know you."

Brisa talks

•• TAGS: @Kaj •• NOTES: :'( so sad••

No matter the volatile nature of their meeting, Kaj cared for Brisa. He did. He would not have been so frantic in his efforts to save her, if he did not. He would have done the same for any other herd member, but he recalled her easy, quiet friendship. That did not simply disappear - though everything else had, he despaired as he watched her wince and cringe beneath the pain of her head wound. There was no magic within Kaj's abilities to take that away from her, but he - and Other Kaj especially - both seemed to have the miraculous knack of bringing more pain to others rather than leeching it away. He hated it, just as he hated that she made this such an issue. He could objectively understand her pain, but the emotions alongside it were dull, his empathy crippled by the removal of the deeply emotional, intimate experiences that had scarred and weakened him. For while he had become stronger of mind and spirit, something had to suffer equally, it seemed. Not everything could be so easy. 

This, especially. 

Kaj frowned deeply, not seeing how she could not comprehend that he and Other Kaj were different. "But I'm not the one who made the call, I'm not the one who initiated the stupidity then," he tried to plead his case, not sure what else he could say to make her understand. Much less what he needed to say in order to ease her from this suffering that he had caused her. It made him feel weary and wounded, though Kaj knew she was more so in this position. It rankled more than any insult she could throw at him. He could not provide for her like a Czar should, she was suffering because of him, and he had no way to stop it. It was torturous, especially because he remembered how fondly he regarded her. He could see now how, previously, that could have easily turned into love. But now he just needed the time for that to happen again, because those experiences had not happened for him. 

Did he want them to?

Pale eyes narrowed in exasperation. "I told you, it wasn't me who decided to cut you out!" He didn't want to grow frustrated with her but he was. He wished there was a way to direct her words to Other Kaj, bypass this matter entirely because it wasn't his fault. But for all her sorrow, her harshest words cut through at the end, for their truth was undeniable. Kaj, who had kept a rather dominant pose this whole time, seemed to crumple before it. His eyes dropped almost instantaneously to the earth, deflating slowly. 

A ghost.

"I know. Brisa, I know. I am not the stallion you know, or...well, knew. And I am not the one you fell in love with. And I will meet far more others like you who will say the same words. All I can do is try to be myself, even if that's not the Kaj that you all adored." Could she not see that asking Miykael to unblock the memories was akin to suicide? He would not be himself anymore. How had Other Kaj managed to stare that kind of fate in the face, unflinching? Knowing he would essentially be erased from existence, replaced by Kaj as he was now? Perhaps he had underestimated his counterpart's strength this whole time. 

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!