the Rift

[OPEN] Find him, bind him #6

Ahvelyn Posts: 44
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 13 [Orangemoon] HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

I'm not writing anymore. It hurts too much.

The battle ended and I never left. I stayed on the island, a whispering waif. Darkness fell and I fell with it. I laid across the earth, let my long tresses spread in the water at the shore. This was how I lived, aping death. I thought of my children but could not compose the same poetry I have spent hours laboring over.

It was morning when I first thought of leaving. Weeks had gone by. The sun was painted in painful streaks, bleeding down through pillowy heavens that I did not deserve. I was standing but swaying with every sweep of the wind and the exotic trees surrounding me. I was alive, but I could have fallen with a hard breeze and I don't know how long it would have taken me to stand again.

Age was beginning to affect me in a real and unavoidable way. My bones ached, and I don't think it was just the final injuries of the god war healing. It was just growing older, it was the fact that I had wandered for so long with the idea that I had nothing left to lose. Now I was settled, or at the very least my journey had reached its end. Helovia was going to be my grave, I didn't need prophetic powers to see that. It was just statistics.

Sand clung to me in large patches. They were bright shadows. I wasn't writing anymore, it hurt too much. I was just looking out into the sea, away from the mainland and into vast emptiness. Nothing was easier to embrace than the everything behind, and I had realized: this land was the end of the line. There was nothing left to Loorien, and I had walked it all and found no solace.

So I wasn't going to write anymore.

Ahvelyn

i wanted to tell you that things would be different this time

Open to any, but I just want a one on one!

Gull Posts: 120
Absent Abyss atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 9 (Tallsun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Splat :: Royal Zephyr :: Phoenix Shady
Gull

Her first mistake had been coming here. The second had been coming alone. And the third? It had been being born what she was, though perhaps she couldn’t have helped that last part.

One, two, three. Silently, Gull counted the horns on her head, blue eyes narrowing further at each sharpened point until they were nearly just slits in his face. So she was triply his enemy, he thought grimly, mouth hardening into a firm line. No matter. She would go easily enough.

On large wings he circled above the mare, sizing her up. Though she carried herself proudly enough for the beast that she was, he caught glimpses of age, of weariness—the way her body seemed to move with the wind, the clumps of sand that clung to her coat—he doubted that she would put up much of a fight. Which worked out well, he thought with a clipped laugh as he swung away from the lone figure, since he didn’t intend to spend his morning battling an old lady. Luckily for wobbly Three Horns, Gull had another lady to tend to today and he was quite eager to maximize that quality time.

It didn’t take long for him to find what he was looking for. Palm trees grew in abundance on this island, and with the Tallsun weather, clumps of fruit hung heavy beneath the spiky fronds. With some careful manuevering, the painted stallion was soon able to knock one of his prizes to the sand. After a brief landing to collect the cluster of palm fruits, he was off again, flapping towards where he had last seen the intruder.

He didn’t bother announcing himself, for he suspected that the rotting berries would do the trick as he flew overhead, shaking the branch vigorously in an attempt to rain them down upon her. He knew that these beasts were supposed to be smart--he was sure that she would get the message.

trouble just grew wings
Image Credit

OOC: Oh hi, the resident butthead has arrived.
Please do not tag Gull except for in opening posts or spars!

Jen

I was too old for that shit.

The moment the first berry, rotting and foul, struck my back I jerked my head up to find the source of the offending fruit. And there it was, casting a heavy shadow over my aging figure, the brute. I squinted up at his silhouette, the sun was brighter than I'd expected and against its bloody hues the winged creature was nothing but a black smudge.

I had certain expectations. I was accustomed to a certain standard of living. This, this being trodden upon by gods, objectified by men, and pelted by decomposing turds-of-nature by, well, a turd-of-nature, was not what I wanted out of life. Whether I wanted anything out of life or not was another question altogether,  but this sort of nonsense was not something I'd stand for.

I was tired, but not too tired to outmaneuver the next shower. I skirted away, watching with a stern frown as the berries wedged themselves in sand and splattered themselves upon rocks. My long tail trailed behind, losing faint blue hairs as they dragged against the unforgiving earth and caught on the snags and tears that the isles still bore from the fight. Hoofbeats and blood had hardened in mounds. This land was a warzone, even still. As I turned to look up once more, the light cast a faint reflection on the offender's underside and revealed two other berries. A stallion, of course. Why was I not surprised?

"Are you done?" I called up with vague disinterest, displeased but not so filled with rage as I might have been before the events of the God fight had tired me out. The boy had had his fun, perhaps now he'd descend and let me give him a proper tongue lashing.

I had to admit, most of the stallions didn't start off their interactions with me this way. What an odd way to show your affection, wasn't it? Then again, boys hit the girls that they liked in the sandbox, didn't they?

Ahvelyn

@Gull
Sorry for the wait. Please don't tag via site, just poke me on skype when you reply. As a warning I am trying to get into Lyn and experimenting with her writing so this may be an up and down thread.

Gull Posts: 120
Absent Abyss atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 9 (Tallsun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Splat :: Royal Zephyr :: Phoenix Shady
Gull
His aim was true, and Gull found it deeply gratifying to see her jump at his onslaught. When the first fruit burst across her back, he cackled freely, watching her skitter out of harm’s way. She might be old, but she could still dance well enough to entertain him it seemed. Even as the she-beast dodged the rest of his tiny missiles, he continued to swoop above, following her until the frond was finally bare. Pleased with himself, he gave the branch one last emphatic shake before dropping it abruptly—with any luck, it would brain the old thing.

Unsurprisingly, his victim was unamused by the whole situation. “Are you done?” an irritated voice called up to him. Gull peered down in surprise. That was all? For the amount of trouble he’d gone to, he would have appreciated more shrieking and running, but the old hag appeared annoyingly calm. The stallion snorted, mulling it over, circling lazily above all the while. Leave it to the unicorn to play holier-than-thou, he figured. Typical of her to spoil his fun, really. Shaking his head, he sighed. For everything, he supposed, there was an easy way and a hard way…

“I dunno,” he crowed back, voice breaking the silence like a sudden swell at low tide, “Are you gone?” Applauding himself for his own wit, Gull allowed himself a raucous chortle. If she was so smart, couldn’t she see that he wanted her off of his beach? He’d thought his message had been clear enough. Still, he refrained from diving down to herd her into the waves. Gull had never actually talked to one of these demons before, and somewhere in the back of his mind, he found himself a little curious to hear what she had to say. Not that he would let her stay, of course...but even children wonder about the monsters under their beds from time to time.

trouble just grew wings
Image Credit

OOC: No worries, experiment away!
Please do not tag Gull except for in opening posts or spars!

Jen

If I was a master in anything, it was the art of rhetoric. This stallion, this winged beast from above, was decidedly not worth my time of the effort of composing a real surprise. I looked up for a time, but eventually the craning hurt my neck. Eventually my eyes got tired from squinting at the odd sky, my ears turned and flickered to focus on other things. This was not worth my time. None of it. And if the stallion hadn't expressed his desire for me to leave I likely would have.

But now... now I was determined. Because I was a stubborn old thing, stubborn in letting go of my looks and stubborn of letting go of my life. I was sticking to it, past my years of hurt and pain and trouble. I would stick to doing what I wanted, or at least what no one else did. I could be a stick in the mud, too.

My tail flicked and I grunted, loudly enough for him to hear if he listened but quietly enough to keep it to myself, too. It didn't matter if he heard. I answered him more quietly than before, my throat aching and my head unfocused. "Have you lost your vision then, boy?" was all I gave him, not looking even marginally in his direction and hoping the quieter voice would draw him down towards me. It wasn't that I wanted a conversation, but if he did he was going to have to come closer. I'd go down to a whisper if I needed to.

I'd do whatever the hell I wanted.

Ahvelyn

@Gull