the Rift

[OPEN] A Thousand Miles from Comfort

Clay Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
For the first few minutes she had been left alone in the Basin, Clay had been in a state of panic: eyes and stance wide, ready to run but at the same time as frozen as the ground. Her previous home was large, but it was a desert. Voices carried across the entire kingdom and you could see other equines on the horizon no matter where you were. This place was an entirely different planet--covered in the remnants of snow that now began to wane in the warming sun. It was contained by a mighty wood and the subtle hills made her feel entirely alone. 

If there was anything the gradient mare was good at, though, it was squashing her fear. One may call that a dangerous trick (most would, actually), but it suited her just fine. A few moments of her heart beating faster than ever, then she was off, using the adrenaline for other purposes. She had launched into action, hellbent on exploring every single part of the Basin she could. She lived here now, didn't she? Time to get up to speed. 

She was an early riser and had spent most of the morning exploring the land's border. When the enormous sentinel at the entrance had neglected to respond to her introduction, she moved on, making her way west of the lake, past a series of caves and a scary looking prison, which she gave wide berth to. She continued for some time, shocked by how large the land really was. 

When she reached the Northern most part of the Basin, she was delighted to spot a body of water. Writing off the steam that rose from it as some brand of the odd magic that existed here in Helovia, she enthusiastically lowered her head, plunging her nose into the water for a drink.

ACK! was her response, somewhat muffled by the hot water in her nose. Her head flung up as she coughed, dismayed by the aggressive warmth and sulfur-like taste. Dramatically, she hacked a few more times before eyeing the water as though it had deliberately betrayed her. You see, she'd never seen a hot spring before, and it didn't quite make sense to her that the water would be steaming hot in such a cold, cold land. She soon overcame her betrayal, though, and lowered her nose once more, cautiously testing the water to see if she had simply been tricked before. Large puffs of air emitted from her nostrils, disrupting the top of the pool. Hooves danced lightly in confusion and excitement, and her prehensile tail extended like a cat's on high alert.  

SPEECH

Johnny Posts: 161
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13 hh :: 10 years
Jellybean :: Common Griffin :: Molten Dagger Sarah
Johnny
Ah, a mare after my own heart.

Granted, I didn’t see like 90% of what had been going on in her day - though if I had seen her try to introduce herself to the sentinel I would have walked right up to her and like… proposed or whatever the horse equivalent was of that. I did the very same thing, you know, but the metal unicorn had resisted my charm. I thought I saw a little flicker of something for a moment when I pulled out my best moves but, alas, it was not meant to be.

Although I generally give a wide-berth to the hot springs, I recognize their draw for the other members of the herd and sometimes I like to hang around because someone has to talk to me. It’s like a friendly little trap. They go in, maybe get all comfortable with the warm water all around them, and then I walk up and start talking away because hey, it’s going to take them at least a couple seconds to get out. It works best in the winter, of course, because they are less willing to actually exit the pools and are forced to stick around. But even though it’s disgusting and sort of warm out I still think it’s a pretty good spot to meet someone.

Today, oh glorious day, there’s a stranger standing near them which is a little weird - she’s not actually getting in the hot springs but… sort of looks like she’s trying to drink from them? Which is a) really weird because that can’t be comfortable and b) super gross because the combined stew of the Basin folk cannot be fun to drink in. Not everyone here is made of candy and tastes wonderful, I can tell you that for certain.

Not… uh, that I’ve licked anyone else here or anything. That’d be weird. I’m usually on the receiving end but…

Oh nevermind.

The powerful combination of being curious and having absolutely nothing else to do resulted in me trotting over to say hello. I come up on her right side, skidding easily to a stop but careful to not get any closer to the edge of the springs than a couple feet. I don’t want to risk falling in! “Doesn’t taste very good, does it?” I inquire because I’ve never actually tried the hot springs soup so who knows, it might be good? But I feel like it won’t so I watch her curiously, my green eyes bright with a smile.  
I'm your sweet sugar Candyman
Image Credit
Table by Sevin!

@Clay
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts