the Rift

[OPEN] sleeping with my clothes on

Macaria Posts: 57
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17 hh :: Three Years [Birdsong]
Psilo

macaria

palest shadow; darkest light

Orangemoon was upon them. She can feel it. She's not quite sure if it is official yet, you know...the moon or the sun or something does something and something shifts and BAM, a new season. Yeah. Whatever that is.

Is it Orangemoon where you are? Her golden eyes look dismally onto a fiery sunset. The colors were almost enough to bring her heart back up, almost. Not enough though, and so still her heart feels like its laying at the tips of her toes, beating slowly and painfully. It's harder now, without you, than it was when I was little. How can I miss someone I never knew though? I want to remember you... I want to know your face and your voice like I know Dad's, like I do Reginald's and Abraham's. All I know of you is that one memory of your beautiful face on the day I was born...you said something that day, something important, but I cannot recall what it was. My new ears were still full of gunk and my head confused and my lungs full of pain. Around her swarms a lull; the only stirring being a gentle breeze and a few songbirds to bring the evening on like a blanket. Everything was still green, the long grasses wave gently, back and forth. Their like a horse's winter hairs blowing in the wind and catching the orange light of the setting sun. She watches the sun go fall behind the horizon, her eyes are wet and reflective against the dim light of the sun's last ray. The violet curtain waits eagerly to take over and swallow up the sky until it's black. Just before the sun's radiancedisappears completely she turns away from it, the brims of her eyes finally letting go the crystalline droplets, one for each half-white cheek. She shakes it off like a dog getting up from a good roll.

It's not in your best interest to feel things, Macaria, so stop. She barks at herself inwardly and scowling outwardly. Well if my mother didn't just go ahead and DIE for no reason.. She sucks in a sniffle. Oh wait. That reason was me... I almost fucking forgot! Pushing me into this world ripped her in two and now she's dead. FOREVER. GONE. She shakes her head, realizing now that she was yelling at herself inside of her head. Her skin suddenly feels cold and prickly, sweaty and chilly at the same time. She shakes again, but the feeling sticks to her like clay mud. Maybe the river will make me feel better – water always makes me feel better. Frowning, she walks off and leaves the purples and dissipating pinks and golds of a downed sun behind.

Half of an hour later she comes to her favorite river spot amongst the meadows. It is rarely, if ever, visited by anyone but her. Big, very old oaks tower over a mossy forest floor and a bed of gnarled ancient roots that reach out to the sandy bank of the running river. This particular spot is a pool, dammed at each side with perfectly round stones and a few strong granite pillars. The contraption is so old she cannot begin to even guess who's crafting skills were responsible. It seems as though it lets through only just enough to keep the current gentle and a small, shallow pool to wade in or drink from. She wastes no time and quickly slips into the water up to her chest, drinking as she walks into the cold water. Relief webs across her body as she takes it in and soaks in it, her tail slashing fast at first and then slowly relaxing to sink under the surface. Calmness washes over her thoughts, her mother's absence pushing back to obsess over at a later date.

Ah. Much better.

image credits

@Erthë
And anyone else who wants to happen upon herrr <3

Agnodice Posts: 70
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2hh :: 8
Herophilos :: Plain Black Dragon :: Toxic Breath prissy

The duchess' appearance as of late was simply inexcusable. Her hair was tangled, her hooves and pasterns stained brown with dirt. Even her alabaster coat seemed to lose some of it's intense purity. If her mother could see her now (Gods bless her soul), she would curse her for her appearance. (When her appearance ever began to falter, her mother in her dying days favored a particular teasing line: "You looked better as a man.")

Agnodice wasted no time. She had left the Rotunda from her latest herb gathering endeavor, glass basket between her jaws, heading to the Falls. She would return and bathe in the waters there! It was particularly known for it's water, even it's name suggested the liquid brilliance that her herd was famous for.

Yet, as the doctor trotted through a particular meadow, she heard the sound of running water. Quite a bit of running water, actually. Her curvaceous ears flicked forward, straining against the hold on her head. There would be no harm done if she stopped to clean herself off a bit here, now would there? (Unless these waters aren't up to her standard. Her pale coat requires the purest of waters.)

Despite the recent change in seasons, the water she found was not overly chilly. In fact, it was up to her cleanliness standard, and felt quite nice after her journey. Agnodice was careful to place her basket at the edge of the river, and not stray too far from it as she bathed. She would absolutely hate for someone to steal the precious item she had just recently obtained.

The duchess stayed in the water for a while, scrubbing grime off her coat and untangling her mane and tail as the sun set. She only paused her obligatory cleansing when she heard splashing. Splashing that she was not responsible for. The mare moved from the river to the shore, wringing out her hair and shaking off as much of the water as she could before daintily picking up her basket and venturing farther down the shore.

Agnodice found a large yearling, relishing in the water as well, though the spot the filly had picked was much more secluded. The doctor was impressed by the contraption that had created a serene pool for any to enjoy rather than deal with the harsher part of the river downstream. The alabaster and onyx mare sat her basket down on the shore, near one of the pillars, laying herself down around her item. Her coat was still damp, her mane and tail still dripping some. She had a few questions about this place to ask of the filly.

"This pool is lovely. Did you make it or find it?"  Agnodice softly asked, her turquoise gaze on her basket rather than the onyx yearling.

@Macaria hope you don't mind aggy dropping in c:

Image Credits
[Image: 5694548be0939]
You’d stick the world into your bedside lane
It’s boredom makes you callous to all pain

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
Eventide is softly casting o'er the earth a magic spell,
And a love-song, everlasting, on the night wind seems to swell.

She had a secret. It was of a ticklish, wonderfully exciting nature, the kind of sparkly amazing secret she was dying to share with others. But for the longest time, no one had really been able to spare more than a few moments in passing for her and her secrets, and while the filly normally would have found that completely alright and natural, it had bothered her these past few days.

The season had changed just like Erthë had predicted. The sky was brighter now and the waters clearer, there was a bite of chill in the wind and each night the temperature wonderfully low so that the mists beneath the ancient trees froze and coated everything in fine crystals. Soon she would be a yearling, and it seemed that with her growing body, something had awakened within her. A secret something that she always had longed for but never thought she would come to possess.

It would seem Volterra had been right. Sometimes magic just blossomed within you, as a natural part of the body and soul.

But what was the fun of having magic if she didn't get to brag about it to anyone? Filled with restless energy and an undefinable urge to wreak havoc the filly took to the sky and headed away from her forested homeland, off east until the woodlands gave way for the purple-tinted meadow where thistles still bloomed despite the lateness of the year. Gliding back and forth high over the expanse of billowing grass, she smiled when pale eyes caught sight of a familiar figure down below. Erthë hadn't spoken much to the lady Agnodice, but they had come across each other here and there, in the Threshold forest mainly and she felt harmless enough to show off to. Intending to approach her openly at first, she began the descent - then broke off and veered away hastily, as she noticed what the mare was up to.

There was a pool below, a structure of rock and water connecting to the winding river that looked a bit too smooth to be entirely natural. Whether it was or not didn't interest her too much at the moment; what was more curious was the horse that was in it. It looked like a silvery hued filly about her own age, wingless yet lean and delightfully absent-minded. She couldn't make out too many details from so high above of course, but there was no mistaking Agnodice's entrance into the pool and the generally amicable mood to the scene.

It was utterly boring, and Erthë knew exactly how to liven things up.

Grinning mischievously to herself she angled her pale wings and lowered herself down until she was mere meters above the ground. With silent, careful beats she brought herself as close as she could get to the pond without being seen, then landed and sneaked the last bit, quietly blessing the Moon for the trees and shrubbery that littered the place.

Once she was close enough, still grinning, she breathed in deeply and held it while focusing upon the water in the pond. Slowly, with great concentration, she breathed out and willed the clear liquid to freeze, to slowly chill and slush and solidify around the bathing horses.

@Macaria
@Agnodice

Erthë is trying to freeze the water of the pool xD
:: [ Magic: LightxWater | Able to rapidly freeze any liquids around her, with instant effect upon contact with her body. ]
:: [ Restrictions | Works in 15ft radius on liquids not in containers (ie: bodies). ]

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Macaria Posts: 57
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 17 hh :: Three Years [Birdsong]
Psilo

macaria

palest shadow; darkest light

The forest crinkles and cracks beyond her sight and her attention is immediately honed to the source of this small commotion. The mare's light fur is the first thing to give away her equine form and then soon the patter of her feet is recognized as that of hoofed animal walking nearer and nearer. Macaria grins, water dribbling from her pale lips a she swallows the last mouthful of cold water she's been sipping under the moonlight. She watches the mare nestle on the pebbled shore with her basket – something Macaria hadn't really seen up close before. It seems like a lovely enough concept. Put things in it. Carry them around. FUN. She spins around to meet the mare face on, but doesn't move to step from the chest deep pool. “No, no, I did not make this, I just found it. I wish I could make things.Like Brisa, at home. As her warm syrup voice spills from her mouth she quirks her white face to the side, her leonine tail twirling and dancing contemplatively. “That would be amazing.” Her tone is spacey and dreamy. She's lost in her daydream of creating for a moment. Her golden eyes refocus on the mare, “Can you make things?” Her childish innocence is written all over her. She knows nothing of anything, really. A little bit of self pity here and there and the embrace of her family – her family. She was a peaceful girl in a world of warriors. They seemed to be at a lull, a stage of sluggish rest she guesses – They will return to their old selves. They will be defending and slashing and fighting soon enough.

No time for thoughts of your weird family. Cold. Cold.

When her eyes drop to the pool below she can no longer see her reflection but instead a slew of ice and half-frozen chunks tinkling together as they continued to cool. Her skin tightens and the coldness begins to sting as she wades toward shore. She manages to clamber over the pebbles and out of the water, shaking free of the cold water as best she could. “Phew! Burrr!” Her steely gray coat is shivering and soaked to the bone with icy river water. Weak sparks sporadically pop and crackle over her dapples, falling a fizzling out onto the green forest floor. She keeps shaking. She even tries cantering in small circles for a second to get her blood warmed. The sparks get a bit stronger and hiss louder as they liven across her dappled back. She calms down and moves to stick her nose toward the water in wonderment, smiling still and whipping her tail at her ankles. “What's up with that?” She gestures to the water as it continues to freeze. She knows it's magic..but who's? Not this mare here, right? She is fascinated. Her eyes search the surface of the pool and then the edges. Macaria checks behind her, and to each side. She cannot manage to see anything amongst – OH! She snorts and squeals “HEY!” She chimes and trots toward the white splotch amongst the tree trunks and leaf-litter. The stranger in on the banks, her nose to the water. Very suspicious.Hey you! How do you do that!? It's awesome!?” She doesn't approach the stranger in case it's not so friendly. Wouldn't be the first time things randomly took a turn for the violent. She watches carefully for a reaction, keeping an ear bent to the mare with the basket.

image credits

@Erthë

Sorry for the wait :P

Agnodice Posts: 70
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2hh :: 8
Herophilos :: Plain Black Dragon :: Toxic Breath prissy

The child's innocence amused her. A soft smile spread to her lips, mirroring the dark filly's. She nodded slowly, carefully, listening to the filly speak. Her words were as vibrant as her motions, full of life and energy despite the moon shining high at this point. Perhaps the filly felt more alive at night than the alternative. Agnodice could respect that until she felt like sleeping, of course.

The alabaster mare looked away from the filly's golden gaze, brow furrowed in thought at her dreamy words. "I can make flowers," she offered, turning her turquoise gaze back on the filly with a mischievous smirk. She called upon her magic then, small buds beginning to grow and blossom in her mane and tail. They bloomed beautifully, most becoming moon flowers, the only kind that typically did so at night. The flowers had a pale golden glow to them, ready to heal any ailments that she commanded them to.

She lacked any wounds to heal, so the flowers simply stayed in her hair. But if she were to stand up, they would soon wither, fall from her hair, and turn to dust. They were impermanent, but they were, indeed, something she could make. She was tempted to demonstrate their abilities, but she soon forgot this thought when the water of the pool began to ice over. Agnodice's curvaceous ears were pricked forward in interest, she could only assume it was magic. Though it certainly did not belong to herself, and the filly seemed as confused about it as herself, leaping from the pool and whipping around her soaking leonine tail. She pulled her basket closer to herself instinctively, hoping that this would not be some sort of robbery or kidnapping. Though she was not sure why anyone would want to steal a basket or a couple of relatively harmless ladies.

But the filly soon pointed out a dainty, white figure not far from them. A smile lit her face then, recognizing the winged form as one she knew. She relaxed, knowing that the girl would mean no harm to them. Her words might bite, but she would not. "Why do you give us the cold shoulder, Erthë?" She called, her voice playful and quite proud of her play on words. But she was as curious as the dark filly to know more of her magic.

@Erthë apparently aggy likes to make terrible jokes now lmao sorry bout that x)

Image Credits
[Image: 5694548be0939]
You’d stick the world into your bedside lane
It’s boredom makes you callous to all pain

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan
Eventide is softly casting o'er the earth a magic spell,
And a love-song, everlasting, on the night wind seems to swell.

This was decidedly not the kind of reaction Erthë had expected. Where was the screaming, the shouting, the squealing and chasing? Where was her chance to hobble off with a wicked laugh as the victims of her prank came running after her, cursing and promising hell and heaven in whatever order they preferred?

Instead she found herself faced with one girl squealing in delight of all things, while another looked like she was about to laugh. It was underwhelming. Anticlimactic, disappointing. She looked from one to the other and back again, and slowly a pout began to form on her lips that made her look exactly her actual age.

"You guys are no fun at all" she accused, and straightened herself up. A few droplets of water trickled down the pink of her nose, then froze - trapped between the chill in the air and the frigid temperature of the dove's skin.

"You were supposed to scream, didn't you know that? Do you get water frozen on you so often that it's not even weird anymore? Shouldn't you at least worry about what might happen if you get stuck in this place until the ice melts again?"

She huffed and ruffled up the feathers, almost insulted by their lack of reaction. Okay, so magic was common in Helovia but come on, it still didn't happen every day of every month of every year, now did it? If nothing else, couldn't they at least act surprised, so she got the pleasure of showing off?

The small one was at least sufficiently impressed, if not perhaps in the way Erthë had wanted. She appraised her over pursed lips, absorbing the sturdy built and exuberant exclamations with equal interest - it must be the size that did it because when she thought about it, the girl couldn't be much older than Erthë herself. Yet they were years apart in experience, it seemed, because it seemed a really silly thing to ask about. How she froze the water?

"I used magic, of course" Erthë replied imperiously and drew herself up into what she thought should be an impressive posture. "Don't tell me you've never seen that before. Everyone knows about it."

Oh, it felt so good to be in the loop of things! Erthë could totally see why Volterra had enjoyed showing off his magic and his dragon to her, if this was the feeling he got. The awed look on the girls face was worth Agnodice's smirks, did a marvelous job of smoothing down her ruffled feathers (and wounded pride).

"Who are you?" she asked, tilting her head in honest curiosity. "I've never seen you around before."

Agnodice had already introduced her, so Erthë felt no need to repeat her own name - what if it got worn out? That would be awkward.

@Macaria
@Agnodice

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~