the Rift

[PRIVATE] the bitter end

Glasgow Posts: 127
Aurora Basin Apprentice atk: 3.5 | def: 10.0 | dam: 7.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3hh :: 11 years HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Skylark
to die by your side,
My rugged pale pelt coincided with the marble that adorned the sides of the Ancient Rotunda as I passed through, awed and amazed at the fact of how much these simplistic columns and stained glass reminded me of home. Glassy eyes looked up at the ceiling of the structure, colors cascading down in a rainbow of forms against my alabaster skin. It was soothing, but also painful. A painful reminder of the fact that I couldn’t get my sister back, that I couldn’t save her, that I ended up with these horrible scars and broken horn. It was at that point that I swung my heavy crowned head around to make sure I hadn’t lost the tip of my horn out of my tail, swishing it gently I could still see the reflection of the little trinket I carried with me now. Heaving a gentle sigh, I leaned my weathered bones against the column closest to me. Glancing down into the little courtyard attached to the Rotunda, listening to the sounds of the water and the birds overhead.

Glassy eyes scanned across the field in view, feeling the chill in the air as it whipped by my mane and tail. It brushed lightly against my skin and I couldn’t help but to breathe in the scent of Tallsun’s passing, wondering just how long it was before my tenth birthday and how I already felt like a skeleton walking among gods. Speaking of gods, I had learned a lot from my past experiences with gods. The fact that they were nothing to mess with and (at least for me) nothing to praise. I never had a god do anything helpful for me. If anything, the only experiences I had with them had been punishment and desertion. As if they got upset enough if you left their faith, they weren’t even there to protect you when you needed them most. And they expected us to blindly follow them. While my vision was slowly beginning to fail me as I grew older, I had come to realize that I wasn’t going to follow them and hang on their every word. For me, I felt as though they had something to prove to me. Even in Helovia. I had seen the aftermath of the Rift fights. The disease that sprawled across the lands. It reminded me too much of the demons that haunted me back home. But it was also something that kept me closed off. I wasn’t willing to open myself too much anymore, afraid of getting attached and getting them ripped from me again. I had dealt with that once before, and once was more than enough.

All I knew was that I felt so alone in this world now, surrounded by so many that may or may not have any idea of how the world works in other places. The idea of it was enough to nearly make me sick in so much blind ignorance that many seemed to have about the gift of life. It wasn’t something to take for granted. And I slowly hoped that perhaps I hadn’t taken it with a grain of salt. I felt like I proved myself over and over again, despite the fact that nobody could see it. Now, no one could even see past my scars.

"Talk."
—is such a
heavenly
way to die.
image credits

@Alune

Alune Posts: 65
World's Edge Seer atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 :: 6 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Nova
It is one thing to be clever and another to be wise

Though he had only been in Helovia for a short time, and many of the lands secrets and locations remained hidden to him, the Rotunda already captured a spot as one of his favorite places. The ancient columns and brook reminded him of the Rotunda's of home, they proudly sat atop the grassy mounds that littered the center of many of the small lakes and ponds. He had often visited them in hours of deep contemplation, the backdrop of priestesses raising their siren like voices in praise of their Gods and Goddesses. Sometimes, he would hear his mother among the voices, her voice would carry higher and more sweetly than the other pale priestesses, and would lull his mind and his troubled senses to a place of comfort and clarity.

Now he was doing the same here, but the Rotunda distinctly lacked the music he was accustomed to.

Helovia had also brought with it a new test, it seemed this land was full of believers and deserters of faith. Their reasons were their own, of course, and he saw no reason to discredit them if their justification was valid. Many turned away from Gods when they had been shaken, or when they had experienced great loss. Many also let their hearts harden and turn to stone, never again would they gaze upon the faces of their Gods, and it pained Alune to see those that did.
Gods may have  been capable of great atrocities, but they also were the source of great joy and blessings.

Lapis hooves entered the brook in an elegant stride, his silver strands cast themselves into the gentle currents, the scattered diamonds tangled within sparkled beneath the crystal waters. Misted creatures that had followed him sought the safety of his back, their forms curled against his velvet pelt while one or two chose to remain at his feet, their forms dispersing into vapor before they reformed into playful otters while the other took the form of an elegant swan. He had been surprised when they first burst to life at his feet, but he saw them as a sign from his Goddess, that she was watching and she was pleased that her people were thriving.

Lunar eyes had been transfixed on the crystalline waters he waded through until he caught sight of another visiting the Rotunda, she seemed to be on her own, seeing as he saw no other near her or in the grove. He slowed momentarily in his steps, had she heard him? Or was she as caught up in her thoughts as he was? He let out a breathy snort and made his way to step out onto the banks.

"Sorry if I have intruded, milady." He greeted, it seemed only polite and appropriate to apologize if he had stumbled upon her private time. Silver eyes gazed at her weathered hide and the scars upon her face and the broken horn. A warrior then, like the mares of home? They often wore their scarred pelts proudly, night sworn Valkyries whose fury was unmatched. He did not dwell on them long though, it was rude to stare after all. He moved to meet her glassy eyes with his pupilless ones, hoping that she could see he meant no ill will in the swirling orbs. His crowned head lowered in a brief bow as he stopped a respectable distance from her.

Somewhere in the back of his mind, he wondered if he had gazed upon her before. A member of his herd? He had yet to meet them all personally, but he often saw figures flitting in the misted mornings and afternoons within the sheer edged forest. Was she one of them?

"The Rotunda is a place I often come to clear my thoughts. Could you use the company?" If she said no, he would leave and return another time. Aware that his titanic height and appearance was off putting to most, from the reactions he had gotten from few others in his time in Helovia.

@Glasgow
[Image: QsJIY4g.png]
"I have seen the movement of the sinews of the sky,
 And the blood coursing in the veins of the moon."

force & violence permitted on Alune at all times
with the exception of maiming and death

Glasgow Posts: 127
Aurora Basin Apprentice atk: 3.5 | def: 10.0 | dam: 7.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3hh :: 11 years HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Skylark
to die by your side,
I had become entirely engulfed by my own thoughts to not even notice the approaching figure. I seemed blinded to the movement as my ears flickered with the inner turmoil I felt, still unsure how someone could trust a deity to be anything but evil. I lowered my head, rubbing my neck against the stone to please an itch that had crawled across my skin. Puffing out a slight snort I closed my eyes, distracted but feeling almost at home with the touch of the stone. My homeland had been made nearly entirely by columns like this, marbled and beautiful in appearance. Now, destroyed and crumbling on the ground to wither away in the elements.

"Sorry if I have intruded, milady."

I opened my glassy eyes to see an azure stag with pale eyes staring back at me. I raised a slight eyebrow, milady? Did he think I was some kind of royalty? I had never been graciously given such a name. If it had been in any other circumstances, I would have probably blushed - but the emotions I felt were caught up with me, allowing my composure to keep to the pale state they were. I wasn't even sure how to respond to him. Yes he had intruded, but he intruded my thoughts that attacked my mind like piranhas in my often vulnerable state.

I shook my head 'no' to the stallion and offered him a brief smile. "No, my friend, you've saved me from my thoughts and for that I thank you. I admitted, dipping my head to him in return. "You're more than welcome to join me, company is always appreciated and rare to find when you look like me." I could have laughed to lighten the mood, but no. Instead I turned my gaze away from him, sighing to myself in the brutal honesty that had passed my lips.

"You're the new Seer in the Edge, aren't you? I remember seeing your face in the meeting. Congratulations on the promotion." My voice spoke to him in a pleasant way but my mind kept screaming at the idea of being so close to the gods. Perhaps things had been different where he came from. I wondered if it could be an interesting exchange of stories for the both of them, considering my past job was similar to his. Where he spoke with the gods, I did their work with little to no recognition. I was a diplomat for them, and I wondered if his job was to be as such as well.

"Talk."
—is such a
heavenly
way to die.
image credits

@Alune , SORRY I SUCK.