the Rift

[OPEN] All play and no work.

Nasreen Posts: 160
Up For Adoption
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 (Orangemoon)
Adoptable

Another Orangemoon, though by the looks of the Throat, one would hardly know it. Not enough trees, Nasreen thought, and a soft sigh intermingled with the sound of the sand squeaking beneath her hooves. While this season marked the close of her third year in Helovia and the beginning of her fourth, it seemed as if she was fated to remain a stranger in these lands. But with brother dead and friends gone, where was she to turn? There had always been someone there in times of crisis, someone to scoop her up and set her on a path towards the light. Yet now…when she looked around her, all she found was ghosts and empty desert. She was all that was left.

As Nasreen reached the top of the dune she’d been climbing, the sunrise illuminated the sand below, the oasis a dark smudge in the distance. The mare paused, contemplating. Palms and vines were not the same as the firs and oaks that she longed for, but perhaps they would provide some small comfort. Sadness did not suit Nasreen well, and she was desperate for a distraction. Spreading her wings, the coppery mare lofted herself into the sky and towards the patch of green.

• • • •

It was a short flight, but when she arrived, Nasreen found the place nearly empty. She was sure a soul or two snoozed beneath the canopy, but it was early still and she did not wish to disturb them. After a quick drink from the watering hole, she meandered along the shore looking for something to do. Aside from her seasonal patrols, Nasreen found that she had much time to be idle, and while she had once relished this freedom, it now felt like a void. Her mind wandered to happier times, to adventures with Kahlua and to crafting with Dragomir. Where were they now? she wondered, remembering the news of the invasion. Had they moved east to start over, as Bucephalus had told her? Had they forgotten her? A pang of homesickness pulsed in Nasreen’s chest, and she swallowed hard. I mustn’t think that way, she told herself, trying her best to be stern. She had been the deserter, after all. Still…with a touch of sadness, she pulled a clump of vines from the thin canopy above. Even if they had forgotten her, Nasreen knew that she would never forget her time in the Edge, nor the lessons she had learned there. Grasping the plants in her mouth, she walked along until she found a stretch of bare stone. Methodically, she pawed at the vine, separating the fibers in the way that Dragomir had once showed her. She was no expert rope-maker, but the motion was soothing. Soon her brow was furrowed and she was lost in the concentration required for such a delicate task. And so as the sun climbed higher in the sky, Nasreen found solace in the twisting and weaving of the vines, and the rope before her began to take shape.

horse:Colourize-Stock.deviantart.com || bg: Dark-Wolfs-Stock.deviantart.com || wings: Chocomix-Stock.deviantart.com & Chunga-Stock.deviantart.com || image: impassioned-dreams.deviantart.com || table by wanda
Image Link

@Cera
Please do not tag Nasreen except for in opening posts and in spars!

Riel Posts: 15
Absent Abyss atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 2.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.2hh :: 5 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
LovellaTorendo

in the golden lightning of the sunken sun
o'er which clouds are bright'ning thou dost float and run
like an unbodied joy whose race is just begun

It is another early morning in the Dragon’s Throat and a sunny one well into the season of Orangemoon.  The temperature has dipped from the blazing heat of Tallsun but it still climbs during the daylight hours and this climb begins as soon as the sun rises.  With the rising of that sun Riel too rises, in every sense of the word.  She is wakeful, energetic and flying.  It is no longer her habit to be only in the clouds but she has not abandoned this past time.  What winged creature living in such a grand open space could resist the temptation of those vast blue skies?  

So it is that she is soaring, her golden hide glittering in the sunlight, above the oasis when she spots movement on its sandy shores.  The movement is caused by a good looking mare of average height, but even average is tall compared to delicate little Riel.  This moving creature is of a bold red hue splashed in white, not a glittery coat but still an attractive one.  It is the great, feathered wings tucked against her sides that draw in her observer though.

I came back to the desert because I found, against all odds, that I longed for the permanence of one home.  Thus far I have done very little to establish myself and this must change immediately.  I do not wish to be seen as a flittering, unstable presence that can not be counted on.  Too much of my life has already been wasted in moping over what has happened in the past.  This does not sit well with my normal, sunny personality and it too needs to change.  I still desire a reunion with my family and should I ever accomplish it I will count myself manh times blessed but I have spent long enough hunting from them to no avail.  They are not dead!  I will never accept death as the explanation for their absence unless provided with cold hard evidence of it.  I will accept that where ever they are it is somewhere I can not easily join them in.  So, now I will make my own life with only their memories in it.  This will be a life built on the skills they taught me, a life in which I achieve and maintain a strong reputation as someone worth knowing and trusting.

Today I am flying looking for unknown herd members to introduce myself to.  It is a happy coincidence that the first being I spot is a winged and feathered one.  To date the only properly winged equine I have come across was Ampere and I was beginning to worry that she might be the only one in these parts.  That is not to say I have anything against those who can not fly, not in the least.  Still, there games of the air that can only be played with others who share the gift of flight and I think I would lose part of myself were I cursed to play them alone.

“Good day to you wing sister!”

The golden girl calls down to the red and white pegasus as she dips and banks heading towards the ground near the other mare’s position.  She lands gracefully and draws her wings up choosing to let the sun thoroughly warm both sides before attempting to fold them.  With a quick toss of her head that sends the bells in her mane to trill their merry, tinkling song she walks forward until she is only a few paces away from the unknown pegasus.  

Her ears prick forward with interest as she takes note of the activity being undertaken.  Carefully, painstakingly, a rope of woven vine takes shape beneath the careful ministrations of the stranger.

“What task are you about?”

This time her voice is a low whisper edged with something approaching reverence. 

the pale purple even melts around thy flight
like a star of Heaven in the broad daylight
thou art unseen, but yet I hear thy shrill delight
(Image Credits | table by Chan | quote from "to a skylark" by Percy Bysshe Shelley)

@Nasreen
@Cera
hope you don't mind, I think she and Nas will get along well. :)

Helovia Hard Mode
(pixel by Chan | pixel base by BronzeHalo)
Actions: No killing | Tagging: Yes
Riel was designed, characterized and originally played by Chan

Nasreen Posts: 160
Up For Adoption
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 hh :: 6 (Orangemoon)
Adoptable

As she coaxed the rope into being, Nasreen’s mind quieted. Loosened by the methodic process, her body began to relax. Scrape, pull, twist, repeat, the maiden mentally hummed to herself, bending over her craft. Scrape, pull, twist, repeat. Though the ever-present ache in her heart did not cease its throbbing, even that faded to a dull thrum beneath the rhythm of her work. When she reached the end of her strand, the maiden did not falter, but simply went to collect more of the vines and continued to twine them together. Perhaps it was a form of escapism, but at least it was productive.

So wrapped up was she in her project that Nasreen did not notice the shadow that flitted overhead. Thus, she was rather startled by the cheery voice from above, and her head jerked up bemusedly at the arrival of company. “Good day to you, wing sister!” a pegasus mare greeted her as she fluttered down from the sky. A light tinkle of bells accompanied her lilting voice, as if she were some sort of mythical creature. And to be sure, the stranger was different, for Nasreen had spotted the glorious set of extra wings that sprouted from her shoulders. Though taken aback, she took care not to stare. While she might not be a princess any longer, Nasreen still possessed her share of courtly graces—fairly rough graces, as her nursemaid had wailed once upon a time, but graces nonetheless. The same instinctual etiquette allowed her to swallow her surprise and greet the newcomer readily with a dip of the head and a gentle smile. “Good day to you as well, sister,” she replied in turn. Sister. The word felt strange on her tongue, for she had only ever used it to address the kin long lost to her, but she didn’t know how else to address the golden girl. It was always best in matters of etiquette to follow the example of those around you, Nasreen remembered. “I’m Nasreen,” she continued. “Might I have the privilege of your acquaintance?” It was a rare occasion that she dusted off the Th’orquian manners—her style was often to bumble first and ask questions later—but something about this impressive four-winged mare seemed to call for a certain level of formality.

Unsurprisingly, the stranger had taken notice of the rope that stretched several feet behind Nasreen. Edging closer curiously, she seemed to examine the copper mare’s handiwork before inquiring softly, “What task are you about?” At the attention given to the rather clumsily-made rope, Nasreen shrugged shyly. “Just a little rope-making,” the maiden answered, casting a glance at the vines as well. “I find it quiets my nerves.”

horse:Colourize-Stock.deviantart.com || bg: Dark-Wolfs-Stock.deviantart.com || wings: Chocomix-Stock.deviantart.com & Chunga-Stock.deviantart.com || image: impassioned-dreams.deviantart.com || table by wanda
Image Link

OOC: Not at all, I love new friends! :D

@Riel
Please do not tag Nasreen except for in opening posts and in spars!

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit
Our eyes were closed with hearts opened wide

What shall we do today, Illy? The orangemoon morning painted the sand in colorful shades of dawnlight, and the pair drifted high above it on Cera's large wings, watching the land come alive with sleepy shuffling and hard-blinked eyes. Cera had awoken when twilight was turning to dawn, and he and Ilaria had slipped away from a still-slumbering Ranjiri for their morning flight. Ilaria was a spot of warmth and familiarity against his shoulders, her tail flicking idly across the span of his left shoulder. Hmmmm, Ilaria hummed into his head, clearly at a bit of a loss as well. We should find somebody new. Times are changing Cera, you must start your climb if you are to be known. Cera rolled his eyes fondly, and said nothing. Ilaria thought he should pursue greater heights, if not through fame then through title somehow. Cera had never been a greedy soul, happy in his niche supplying his family with the things they needed. He had happily declined when offered the diplomatic position that had gone briefly to Bucephalus, and for good reason. He had still been shadowed by Midas and his memory, but...as Ilaria had said, times were changing.

But was he ready to change with them?

Nevertheless Ilaria had a point. He could still always find somebody, interject himself into their morning, perhaps garner some new friends. Even if he did not hold the same sort of goal that Ilaria had for him, he could stand to know more people in this world. 

They were surprisingly easy to find, if only because there was a golden child flitting about, like a sundrop attracting his eye and alighting beside a clay-colored beauty. She remind him of the reddened shores where he scratched his blueprints, and he could not help his interest in the odd little pair. It was easy to tilt his large wings and spiral down, ivory hooves touching down into the sand as soft as the feathers upon his wings. Striding towards the two he caught wind of their words, face alighting with joy at the term wing-sister. It was something he had always enjoyed, but not one often used in the Throat. 

What was even more interesting, however, was the rope being clumsily but beautifully crafted between Nasreen's hooves. Cera could not help his instinctive excitement and went bounding up towards her, careful not to kick sand onto her creation, staring down at it with a starving gaze that took in the machinations of it all. "It's amazing! Are you a crafter? This could be so useful, how did you figure it out? Could you possibly teach me?" His words babbled a little too fast, emerald eyes bright as they flicked up towards Nasreen. Ilaria thwapped him on the neck with one little paw. Stop being rude and introduce yourself, they're going to think you're crazy.

Cera flushed appropriately and bowed before the pair of them, tucking one knee in and flashing the outsides of his wings to them in deference. "My apologies. My name is Cera, I'm head Forger here. I get a little excitable around such things," he excused with a soft laugh, warm smile directed at both of them. "May I ask your names?" It was only a fair exchange, after all. 

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!