the Rift

[OPEN] Drowning on Land

Caenan Posts: 49
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 4 Years (Ages in OrangeMoon) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
TierRen
"It's the heart and the soul and the body and the brain
Driving me insane 
But the wind and the land and the fire and the rain 
Always stay the same"
-Roll With the Wind

Caenan stood tense where he thought the border leading into the World's Edge was. His mane, tail, and coat dripped sea water from where he had bounding through the waves with the dawn sun. They were tears of the ocean rejoicing or possibly mourning that the sea's wild boy was casting away his days as an outcast. His sides lifted and fell in a manner that told of the stress he was under. The decision he was making, the commitment, was not one he had ever before made.

The stallion had been struck ill after battling the corrupt god in the strange new land that had wed itself to Helovia's own. A healing had miraculously befallen Caenan but he was still unable to get comfortable. The pirate had laid beside the mysterious water tinted the color of rubies for what had felt like an unending period of time. 

Caenan had thought he would die there. He had seen others he had fought alongside come down with the disease. Each had left except for him. Not only the disease had struck him but also the cold realization that none would mourn his passing. Caenan had the innumerable sands of the beaches to call friends, but not a single friend that breathed air.

The stallion's appearance told of his internal disarray. Weight had fallen from his sides in place of the tears that had not. His mane and tail still had dreaded matting left that even his beloved shore winds couldn't unknot. For one who had not shed tears his emerald eyes glistened.

Once healed Caenan had paid visit to the shore and had allowed his tired legs to carry him on a gallop across the sands. He had ran until he could not anymore and then he had met the girl even the flowers bowed to. If the flowers, dainty yet still wild, would bow then so would he. Caenan took the filly as nature itself giving him a sign as to what herd his hooves should lead him to.

"I am Caenan!" His deep accented voice rang out with the lie of confidence, 
"I wish to offer m'self into your ranks." The statement was simple and without adornments put in place to cover the stallion's hesitancy to give himself over.

Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Coding by Schwartze | Image
[Image: caenan_pixel_by_danjahmouse-d9wbjhj.gif]

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
“Hello, Caenan,” the low voice rumbled from the mists. It was truly remarkable that a beast at large as the Elephant might hide anywhere. But the heavy, thick fog, formed an easy shroud that enveloped the King into obscurity. It was unique experience for the man, as he was ever accruing the gaze of others with his size. But now, hidden by the Lady Moon’s opaque breath, he found something akin to anonymity… He wasn’t certain how he felt about it.

He was certain that he liked the simple and straightforwardness that accompanied the dark bay stallion’s appearance. The giant took a sweeping step forward, shedding the mist’s cloak, and revealing himself. Dark blue eyes squarely meet the probing, overbright green depths of the unicorn stud, before his gaze sweeps once over the thin body and matted mane. Cream ears swiveled forward as his interest heightens, particularly at the uncertainty that hung not only on his words, but also on his ribby frame.

“I am Tembovu, King of the Edge,” baritone rolled from his chest as he continued to study the handsomely hued man. Though he now was accustomed to introducing himself as lead, he was still adjusting to passing judgement on those who wished to join their herd. It was so similar, and yet so very different, from testing hopefuls who wished to join his old battalion. He still asked questions, but it was so… just so different. Now he was building a herd, not destroying an empire. His black nostrils smell the sea that still clung to his slick coat, and the Elephant realizes that it is not only malnourishment that makes Caenan’s body slender, it is also youth. Though his body is mature, it lacks the wearing of time. So he cannot be that long an adult stallion.

He blinks in the silence that settles as his thoughts roll around in his large skull. Then, finally, his thick lips part once again, “Is there a rank you had in mind?” Ebony brows raise slightly as he questions the young, ocean drenched stallion.
Tembovu
The Elephant King
image | code by Avis

Please tag Tembovu.

Caenan Posts: 49
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 4 Years (Ages in OrangeMoon) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
TierRen
"It's the heart and the soul and the body and the brain
Driving me insane 
But the wind and the land and the fire and the rain 
Always stay the same"
-Roll With the Wind

A detached voice swirled the heavy mists around Caenan. The movements of another shifted the fog to prepare for a grand entrance. "I am Tembovu, King of the Edge." At times the entrance with the most flair is the one with as little flourish as possible. There certainly was no fanfare for this king but his coming from the mist was grand, so much so that Caenan almost forgot his distrust of those with high social standing. 

"Is there a rank you had in mind?" "I am no good with crafting. I have not the patience for it. I doubt myself to have the brains to be a healer or sleuth." He ticked off the things he could not do slowly. He drew his words out allowing himself to think. The bay decided it would be better for him not to voice his opinions and wariness towards the gods. Nor would he mention some of the morals he sometimes swayed on that would also make him a terrible seer. "I am able bodied and could be a protector." He would strengthen his body once more. Caenan's thin state was temporary. 

Yes. That is the path he would take while he was with The Edge. A protector. The idea almost did not appeal to him either. Caenan picked battles for his own sake. He fought for the rush he got from it. The thought of offering life and limb for strangers was entirely unappealing, except for the foals; Caenan would do anything for a young ones, until he thought of the friend he had made. The stallion already knew he would protect Naerys come what may and if he reminded himself that these herd members were her friends and family it made the duty that came with being a soldier an entirely different thought. He would do it gladly.

Silence seemed to stretch the distance between the king and pirate to an impossible distance. Caenan did not know what to say. Should he give a case for why he should be allowed to join? Or was he to stand quietly and allow judgement to be passed? His emerald eyes sought out those of azurite. "Tembovu," Caenan's eyes glinted at the memory of calling a citizen of this herd a 'princess' so easily, even going as far as to bow to her, yet found himself incapable of calling her king such proper things or of bowing. The stallion felt his freedom being stripped away and to attach a face to his upset he was projecting it upon Tembovu. "If it were not for the fact I am tirin' of bein' alone I probably would not be here."

Caenan paused, unsure about where he was going with his honesty. "I have no family, no bonded, and I can think of only one friend." A sigh slipped past his lips, "I am an Outcast to the core," He chose not to elaborate any further. "but I long for friends and family." Caenan snorted, adding his breath to the mist that gathered around the two stallions. "I have been without either for many seasons therefore once I find either I will stop at nothing to defend them. In that way I believe that I could become valuable to The Edge." Caenan prepared himself, "I do not believe you would regret accepting me." and dipped his head in resemblance to a bow. It was a start.
Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Coding by Schwartze | Image
[Image: caenan_pixel_by_danjahmouse-d9wbjhj.gif]

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
A small frown creased the black skin around his cobalt eyes as the bay stallion began to speak again, enumerating things he could not do, rather than say what he, in fact, could. His small frown was not from disappointment in the self-proclaimed lack of skills, it was from him being perturbed at the self-doubt from which such statements stemmed. Thick lips pressed together lightly, until his face smoothed at Caenan’s statement of being a Protector. His great headed nodded in a mixture of approval and agreement— for even in the bay’s thin state, he was still a well built stallion. A cream ear flicked sideways; perhaps his first words stemmed for plain truth, rather than self-deprecation. It, also, did not escape the mind of the King that there were woefully few Protectors that existed within the Edge.

Then a silence fell between the pirate and the King. Tembovu was tempted to break it, to ask more of this ocean wet man. But there was something in his uncertainty, something in the emerald eyes that sought and met his own, navy gaze, that made him wait in silence.

His patience was rewarded when Caenan saying his name— with a notable lack of royal pretext. Usually, the Elephant didn’t note or care if any referred to him as ‘King’ (in fact, it often made him uncomfortable for others to use his title). However, there was something in the man’s hard gaze, that brought his barren name to his attention.

But he said nothing, allowing the dark bay to continue speaking, more refreshing honesty spilling in his strangely cadenced and accented voice. “I am an Outcast to the core, but I long for friends and family…I will stop at nothing to defend them.” The giant cocked his great head to the side as the cutlass-horned said words that seemed contradictory— at least to the antelope-marked. A small grin crossed over his pale muzzle, “‘Long for family and friends’? Your words don’t sound like those of an Outcast to me, Caenan,” he is low voice rumbled.

“I do not believe you would regret accepting me.” His brows raised as he bowed, was all this speech a prologue and mental preparation? His broad grin grew to a smile, “I do not believe so, either— but do not make a doubter of me.” An amused sternness crossed his face as his bass rolled. “Nyx is the General of our herd. Rohan is our Sergeant, also above you. You may find them, and other Protectors, for drills and spars. Take care of the cliffs. It’s a long drop to the sea, even if you enjoy the salty water,” eyes glanced to the wetness of his coat as he paused, thinking if he had anything more to say, “Welcome to the Protector ranks of the Edge.”
Tembovu
The Elephant King
image | code by Avis

@Caenan this felt very discombobulated to write. I'm not sure why. Anyway, I'll go ahead and change his rank! :]

Please tag Tembovu.