the Rift

[OPEN] Under Water, Under Wood

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds

A pink spattering of light drifted across the skies overhead and danced into the softening haze of an orange sunset. The shadows of winter were upon Helovia despite the autumn breeze that sailed through the barren wood. The chatter of nighttime creatures, both small and large, sifted eerily along the vacant pathways that made up the heart of the Deep Forest. As we trailed easily along those very pathways, our footfall disturbed a hare that darted quickly in and out of the brush until the bright, white fangs of an arctic wolf brought it down from just behind. I’d always hated the hunting and the blood that accompanied calling Romul my companion, and yet I couldn’t imagine a life without him. He was my soul when I could not feel and my strength when I could not thrive.

Where once the thought of meandering aimlessly between the shadows of the night would set my heart ablaze with fear, it did not anymore. Where once I felt alone and bereft in a world with too many unknown faces, I was no longer by myself. His presence calmed even the worst of my frustrations… I’d been lucky to find him so long ago in the Edge. Perhaps it was the last thing I remembered fondly of the land by the sea now that my memory was so overtaken by war and defeat and loss.

I watched brazenly as the wolf drug his kill into the underbrush where I studied the flashes of white fur as he tore away flesh from bone. Romul seemed unperturbed by my sudden need to observe him and instead snarled, low and deliberate, to ward off any other threats that might present themselves in the night. He was always taking care of me, even when I felt I didn’t need him to. He was the one true love I’d always known.

Evening was just passing when we’d found our way to the forest, but with dusk now hours behind us, Romul and I wandered side by side only to enjoy the company of one another. “You are quiet,” he noted with concern.

Do you ever think about what would have happened if we’d stayed?” I asked softly. The wolf paused, his head hanging low, and grunted. “You know what I think” he bit irritably.

I’d always known how he’d received my need to run, that much was certain, but I’d always been unable to do the right thing. Romul had just been kind enough to respect my desires… even if they were so often misdirected. “I’m sorry…” I breathed hoarsely.

I’d always been sorry.

For leaving… for staying… for everything. I was sorry for losing the Falls, sorry for not seeing the clues before the Basin and the Edge had taken everything away… Just… sorry.

Essetia & Romul
image credits

Table by Nicole (Niki)

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Auriel Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 Hands :: 3 (Ages Birdsong) HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
prissy
Auriel

The dagger that was now strapped to my canon bone felt foreign, heavy despite the fact that it was small and weighed little. Nevertheless, my stride was not affected by it, but I decided that I would certainly need a fair amount of exercise with the dagger to become used to the feeling of it. I had taken it in hopes of it someday aiding me in battle, for it to perhaps impair me instead was disheartening.

So, amidst dwindling pastel light and crisp orangemoon air, I set out at a brisk trot through the forest. The light excursion felt refreshing, and I soon forgot about the new weapon I had attached to my leg. I let the guilt and sorrow I harbored deep within my bones loose. At times, it was easier to simply forget my past, what had melded me into the troubled horse I was today. I could never escape it, but I had learned that I could live it, and at times, suppress it enough to not think about it all the time.

To go on a light walk this evening was enough to lift my spirits. But my pace soon slowed, as I heard snaps and rustling of foliage. I turned to see a dark bay mare, taller than myself and followed by a white wolf. My interest was immediately peaked. His maw was bloodstained, and her appearance seemed downcast.

Obviously, this was a situation that required my input.

I make everything better.

"Hello?!" I called to the equine, smoke unfurling from my lips. I trotted to stand a length or two from her, my features soft and amiable. My appearance faltered a bit, though, as when I stepped closer I found the mare was perhaps a more sorrowful than I previously had anticipated. "Are you all right?" I asked softly, concern lacing the haze of onyx that left my lips. I doubted that I could actually do much at all for the mare, but I thought it best to at least ask.
Coding by Tamme

@Essetia hope you don't mind auri crashing in ^^;
She walks in starlight in another world.
She is far away. She...she is far, far away from me.

The faint, haunted warnings of a wolf in the night sounded through the trees as Romul crouched down against the leafy forest floor. The approaching footfall had not eluded me, but I knew that the snapping and growling my companion felt was so necessary would not elude them either. In an attempt to catch wind of our “guest”, I tilted my muzzle upwards into the slight breeze that drifted easily through the desolate woodland. However, the creature that emerged from the impending darkness was not one I’d been expecting. In some ways I wanted to apologize for Romul’s crude behavior (as well as his crude appearance), but could not find the words nor the care to do so. The young female clearly had no reason to be stalking us in the night, so I had no reason to act contrite for being wary.

She’d called to us before inviting herself to our company, which was amusing in and of itself, given she had no idea who I was or what I was capable of. I supposed it was no fault of her own, but only her young age and complementary ignorance that made her so bold. In a way it made me respect her, even if I simultaneously wanted to scold her for her brazen actions.

Are you alright?

Of course I was alright… I was more than alright. I was living, breathing, and moving around was I not? Whatever ailed my mind was no business of hers- of course that never stopped anyone before. “As alright as I’ll ever be,” I responded curtly and without explanation. Since she’d come all this way just to annoy me, I figured it was enough to allow her a moment of my time… Though, I couldn’t figure out what made her believe I’d be good companionship anyways… I had a bad habit for bad behaviors.

At first I’d almost missed the plume of inky smoke that coursed from her lips when the young mare spoke, but the scent of fiery ash did not fall short on me. Upon closer inspection I could see the shadowy whisper of smoldering slag as it dissipated shortly after being expelled from her presumably gabby jowls. I had to give it to her though, she appeared genuinely concerned and (since I felt somewhat bad for her after wanting to let Romul take a chunk of her leg) that was enough for me to bear her presence.

The girl was a creamy shade of beige with a horn that nearly split down the middle. She was interesting to say the least and the longer she stood there, the more I wanted to know about her. Why was she so strange? Why was she here alone so late in the evening? Why did she care what was wrong with me? (Not that it was any of her concern anyways.)

Sorry, Romul needed to hunt…” I stated tersely while glancing back toward the red-jawed wolf. I didn’t like to allow him to hunt in the Throat since we’d only just returned and besides, the forest had more edible game. He preferred rabbits and mice. “Who are you anyway?

Essetia & Romul
image credits

Table by Nicole (Niki)
@Auriel | You're fine! It was open for anyone!

prissy
Auriel

My tail swished lightly across my hocks as I watched the pair with interest. The wolf's hostility didn't surprise me, nor did I fear it. My pale gaze fixated on him for a moment, tilting my head slightly to one side as I did so. If anything, I supposed I had scared him. I couldn't think of any other reason as to why he would be acting this way. I wasn't used to seeing fear in others. No, I wasn't used to causing fear in others.

I breathed a huff of smoke towards the wolf, remembering the way that my sister's companion, Princess, would always bark and snap at my smoke. I was curious to know whether or not this wolf would do something similar. Though, I feared he would not, for his bonded's words were terse. I instinctively pulled my head up, peering at the mare curiously. She perplexed me. I had done little to aggravate her, yet she was short with me anyways.

Who had hurt her so deeply that she felt the need to be angry at the world?

I nodded slowly, my pale gaze now focused solely on the mare. "I'm pleased you're well. I apologize if I scared you," I stated softly, glancing over the mare's body. I was making more assumptions, but this did not concern me. I found the mare intriguing for the moment, so provoking her further didn't seem too bad. I would get through the bad to get to the good, easy-peasy.

She spoke of her companion, the bloodied wolf at her side. Romul. I knew her bonded's name, but not hers. I nodded, a small smile curling on my lips as more smoke unfurled from my nose. She wanted to know who I was. This meant that at least for the time being, she would tolerate my presence. I wasn't sure why, but that didn't matter much to me. I pressed my large, dark wings close to my body, straightening to my full height. "I'm Auriel, I live in the Edge" I replied simply, thinking for a moment on what to add to that. There wasn't much more to me that I could say without giving away too much.

I left my introduction at that, deciding to turn the conversation on the bay before me instead. "And who are you?" I asked, letting the haze of smoke that drifted from my lips be as mysterious as it pleased despite my smile.
Coding by Tamme

@Essetia

The menacing smoke that unfurled from her slender lips snaked its way toward Romul and the wolf snarled. I knew that the gesture was done in good fun, but I gave the young mare a knowing look that was meant to ward her away from taunting my hyper-sensitive companion. He was nothing if not cruel and was quite comfortable with asserting his dominance over others if the need arose. I did have a say in how the wolf behaved, but for as long as I’d known him, I wasn’t often fond of restraining his natural desires. What Romul did was rarely a reflection of me; he was his own creature even if we shared an unshakeable bond. Like the feathers that shifted along the young girl’s sides, Romul’s hackles rose despite the silent, comforting words I used to calm his wounded pride. “Contain her…” he urged in the back of my mind. “Careful there, I’m the only one who can take a joke around here.

However, the hybrid didn’t seem to mind my advice (which was fine and dandy if she wanted to deal with the ramifications) and instead pressed onward, looking to fill the gaps in our lackluster conversation. I had to hand it to her though, she was certainly brave and that was something I was beginning to admire in her. She was obviously unperturbed by Romul’s threatening attitude and certainly not put-off by my own. Creatures like that were so often few and far between… Perhaps her acquaintance would benefit me one day- or was it friendship I was considering?

Ah, yes, we’re a bit out of practice in the art of making introductions. As you can see, my choice in company prevents me from getting out much-” I began with a softer tongue. I didn’t want to make an enemy of the girl, nor did I want to diminish any chance of figuring out why she’d decided to approach me in the first place. “-he’s just a bit overprotective at times.

With such a turn in my own demeanor, I decided that it was time to relax and send Romul to scout the pathway ahead. At least then, Auriel (as she later named herself) and I could walk and talk… I’d never been a fan of standing still for too long. For a moment the wolf contemplated my request, but with a slight grunt he turned on his heels and crouched into the underbrush (presumably watching me from afar) until I gestured for the girl to follow me. “So, Auriel-from-the-Edge, I’m Essetia. I now hail from the Throat where the water is warm and the sand is hot. I assume you know Elsa then?” I questioned yet again, prying information with reckless abandon. Perhaps she could tell me how the snowy mare was managing in her position as… general? If I wanted to gain intel, then now was the time to start… Maybe this Auriel would know what exactly had happened at her borders the other day….

Maybe she would know who had passed away.

Essetia & Romul
image credits

Table by Nicole (Niki)
@Auriel

prissy
Auriel

My eyes grew wide for a moment, but out of intrigue. The wolf snarled at my smoke, at me. His reaction didn't startle me, I wasn't afraid of dogs, even ones with sharp teeth and bloodied maws. I figured that if he decided to attack me I had a dagger that could impale him without killing him (probably), or I could fly away. (Well, unless, of course he attacked my wings..then we might have a problem..but I didn't think of this as being a problem then.) So I ignored his bonded's warning, and waited for him to do more. I didn't press him to, I simply watched, figuring that the envelope was just about to break open. But it never did.

Instead, the mare caught my attention. I flicked an ear towards her as she spoke, but the metamorphosis that her tongue went through soon proved interesting enough for me to devote my gaze to her. My brow furrowed slightly, pale gaze narrowing as she spoke. She was changing gears on me.

To say the least, I was interested. What motivation did she have for deciding to play nice, now? No matter, I figured that it was surely just my presence. My smile grew wider, and I held my head a bit higher. I figured that I was just simply getting better at bringing out the best in others. This new found talent of mine fascinated me more than the mare, but she seemed to insist on my presence.

I followed with no resistance, walking to her side, but keeping my gaze ahead of us. I was a bit distracted, only half-listening to her words till she mentioned my mother. My pace slowed slightly, and I let my pale gaze slip to her for the moment. My attention, for the moment, was focused on Essetia and she knew anything of my mother. "I do know her, quite well, in fact. She's my mother," I spoke softly, deciding that letting the mare know this information might help her open up to me a bit more. It's not as if I wanted to keep my heritage a secret, anyway. I was quite proud of my lineage.

"So, Essetia-from-the-throat, why are you interested in her?" I asked, my words mildly playful. If I stated them in a different tone they could sound malicious, but I didn't intend for bad blood between the two of us. After showing interest in my mother, I figured that Essetia could prove to be either a valuable asset or deadly foe. But with that hostile companion of hers, I didn't want it to be the latter.

Coding by Tamme

@Essetia

The creatures in Helovia had advanced not only in pedigree, but in wit and courage as well. That was a fact that I was slowly coming to terms with after spending time with so many new and refreshing individuals. Auriel was no different, but in fact just the same. She was brave and unnerved by the wolf and his obvious need to assert dominance over her. It was a trait native to his species, which I was certain she would quickly realize if her behavior continued unchecked. Even as I watched her golden eyes grow wide and curious, I couldn’t refrain from laughing at the whole ordeal… smart child, this one.

As we pressed further into the woodland, I allowed the moonlight to guide our way toward destinations unknown. Whatever we found or wherever we went, we would always be within the safety of Helovia… Of course that safety was and is an impartial thing come about in the dreams of mere children. Whether or not fate decided our destiny could only go one way or another… that was something we’d never escape.

Any confusion or doubt borne of meeting one another was so insignificant in the grand scheme of things… Perhaps that’s why I’d decided to let bygones be bygones, for life was so very fleeting, so short. However, upon whispering Elsa’s name to the breeze or into the waiting ears of her apparent daughter, I was heartily surprised. It was that surprise that halted our little soiree, whereupon I turned my cloudy stare into that of premium gold. “Really now? I didn’t know…” I faltered on a breath. I shook my head quickly, causing long strands of blackened silk to waver against my neck and shoulder. It was then that I fell quiet, succumbing to new and interesting reels of thought.

Auriel too appeared wizened by our connection to Elsa and her curiosity had not gone unnoticed. “Elsa… is a good friend to me,” I began with some hesitancy. “I wanted to know if she was well.Or as well as any of could possibly be after leaving so many ties unattended.Does the Edge- does it suit her?” I questioned feebly. I abhorred any reminder of my father and the land of my birth, but they had taken from me something more than just land. They had taken trust only because they feared… fear was an ugly thing that caused rash behavior, I was familiar with the consequences, but Midas had died in the turmoil. He had given his life and now those how had once inhabited the Edge now thrived in the Gallant’s old skin… They played the martyr thanks to his old bones.

"Might you also know something of the death at your borders not so long ago?

Essetia & Romul
image credits

Table by Nicole (Niki)
@Auriel

prissy
Auriel

My amusement was growing by the second. Essetia was understandably surprised when I revealed to her who my mother was. But the rich chords that flowed from her mouth were ones I found to be alarming. It was true, my mother and I shared little in common as far as appearances go, but the blue lock in my mane had to be a giveaway. I had yet to meet anyone that shared such a trait, as far as I knew, it was one my mother and I held exclusively.

I forced myself to smile as sweetly as I could at the mare, keeping my pale gaze on her rather than wherever we were going. I couldn't help but wonder what she knew of my mother, and what she didn't. A part of me found it quite worriesome that Essetia didn't know of Shida and myself. If they were friends, it showed poorly. I considered the fact that my mother was trying to keep us a secret, but I preferred not to think of that.

I nodded at her words, so much more feeble and soft than they had been earlier. My gaze was concerned, listening to these fragile words that now fell from her iron lips. I didn't understand her, but now I was determined to try. "My mother is doing well, I believe she enjoys it there. She has her duties as Queen, it keeps her busy, but I think that's good for her," I stated, slowly, unsure of how much to let the mare know. I still didn't trust her yet.

When she mentioned the deaths at the Edge, I was confused and had no qualms with letting that be known on my features. My brow furrowed and my pale gaze narrowed, shaking my head slowly. "I'm afraid I know nothing of it. I haven't been in the Edge that long," I replied, harmless smoke billowing around my lips. "What happened?" I asked quietly. I supposed it wasn't the smartest question since Essetia was asking the same thing of me, but I asked anyway.
Coding by Tamme

@Essetia

Perhaps it was an oversight on my part that I’d missed the resemblance or maybe I just hadn’t been listening back then, but I felt the hardened edge of the girl’s gaze when I’d admitted my lack of knowledge for her existence. Somewhere within I felt a pang of sadness, one that reacted to my own ability to ignore vital facts about another’s life… It was a weakness, a downfall- selfish greed. Whatever one needed to call it, I knew that I hadn’t been there for Elsa and I hadn’t been the friend she’d undoubtedly needed. For shame, I looked away into the trees hoping to hide my own embarrassment and regret. More than anything I wished that I could go back and be the kind of shoulder the new Queen had been wanting to lean on, but of course I’d been distracted… unavailable.

But wasn’t that the story of my life? Wasn’t I just the glass wall that stood between my heart and all the others? Was there really any point in reaching deep to find caring that didn’t exist? As far as I was concerned, I didn’t feel, not really. The only love I harbored in my chest was solely for Romul… all else was cold, blackened stone.

Yet somehow it made such a pretty picture, one that outsiders liked to fancy in passing, but never touch. Beyond the walls of crystal and the glinting of ash, I was just a girl, a child waiting to be taken to a home that wasn’t mine. All of it was an ugly tale that I hoped never passed my lips, not for Auriel, not for anyone.

She was one of the ‘good ones’, I could tell, and yet not the one. Her pretty smiles and practical concern were for naught, at least in my case, and though she seemed all too sincere, there was something darker just beneath. We all succumbed to self-preservation when it came to the sensitive parts of ourselves that were reserved for family and the like, but I had no family… not really. “Good… She’ll make a fine Queen if you ask me, a fine Queen indeed,” I mused halfheartedly. “Perhaps it’ll distract her from thoughts of the Falls.

I wasn’t certain how much Auriel know of the Hidden Falls or if she’d even been there at the time, but with the object of freedom at our core, I decided to let the details fly. It was her mother after all- children were supposed to care about their mothers right?

However, any news I’d been hoping for about deaths in the Edge was moot. I’d chosen the wrong victim to interrogate when it came to the gathering I’d witnessed at the borders of the World’s Edge. Maybe I had no right knowing anyhow. “It looked… like someone had passed- a funeral of sorts,” I informed vaguely. There wasn’t much else I could offer on the subject and so I turned my head toward the open walk before us, unable to conjure anything other than thought. 

Essetia & Romul
image credits
@Auriel

prissy
Auriel

I found myself with at a loss, no words coming from my lips anymore. This was odd for me, I usually had no problem making conversation, but at that moment, I could find nothing to say. My thoughts lingered on my mother, on myself, on if we looked similar or not, and where my smoky breath came from (neither my father nor mother had a magic quite like mine).

My pale gaze lingered away from Essetia, the amber hues darker, perhaps caused by the night, and my thoughts. I nodded at her remark on my mother becoming Queen, choking on any words I might've said when she mentioned the Falls. The invasion was not a blurred memory in my mind, it was still vivid, smudged with betrayal and loss. My brow furrowed as I did my best to not think about it, but that was easier said than done.

Thinking of the Falls, of home, made me miss it all. I wondered where Shida was, and if she was all right, and if she was thinking of me. I hadn't seen her in some time, and the little explosion, despite being a pain in the ass, made me happy.

The thoughts of my sister and the Falls soon faded in my head when Essetia spoke of the incident at the Edge. I glanced at her, brow furrowing further. A funeral? I had never witnessed one, so I was little help. "Oh," I whispered simply with a flick of my tail. I was intrigued, mildly so, focusing on it for the moment to get my thoughts off of the Falls. "How unfortunate. I'm unaware of who has died recently, but I might know someone who is," I stated simply, eyes flicking up in thought. No one immediately came to my mind, but I was sure that I could find someone who did. My mother, at least, could point me in the right direction.
Coding by Tamme

@Essetia SO sorry for the wait ;-;

As if I’d somehow struck a chord in her, Auriel paused to deliberate my admissions. My mention of the Hidden Falls had not gone unnoticed and I recognized the painful remembrance in her stare. Suddenly, I felt sorry for having said anything at all… for having drudged up the battle and the loss. It hurt too because I hadn’t been there, hadn’t seen, hadn’t been able to fight. Ulrik had assured me that my presence would have been for naught, but it didn’t stop me from wondering… and that empty space in my history, the one with so many “what if’s”, had all but killed me since the invasion. It had become too large a part of me to overpower any longer.

Yet, I wasn’t distracted long by ideas of the past and the agonies that lurked there. Instead, more recent deaths were on the menu and I was glad for the change of direction. In fact, I was more than glad when Auriel admitted she might know someone who could give me the information I’d been looking for. However, I didn’t want to appear too excited to hear such news and tried for a more tame reaction. “Is that so?Did it really matter anymore? I was certainly curious, but what did a single death matter compared to the many that had occurred just recently?

Like a flame, I smoldered, still distracted by a million different things that ranged from pleasant to repulsive. I wanted to talk more, wanted to learn, but felt everything had suddenly become moot. My drive to uncover something, anything, was gone. The memories, the pain, everything… it was too much and I didn’t want to feel it anymore.

As if a switch had gone off, I called for Romul to rejoin us through our bond. I needed space… I needed to be alone. I shook my head once before turning to study Auriel herself. She appeared lost to her thoughts and that was something I could respect for what it was. “It’s been good meeting you… truly. But I think it would be best if we returned to the Throat for the night. Duty awaits,” I informed. “Thank you Auriel, for giving me peace where Elsa is concerned. Please, if you see her, give her my regards. It would be good for you to visit sometime I’m sure.

It was a lackluster goodbye, one that left no ties frayed and no promise of repetition, but if one day our paths crossed again, I would be glad. She was a sweet girl… one with a future ahead of her that resembled one I once thought I had.

Essetia & Romul
image credits
@Auriel
OOC| Went ahead and started to wrap up simply because I want to get my ducks in a row before school <3