the Rift

Bright-eyed and Broken

Caneo Posts: 133
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3h :: 6 years HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Ophiria :: Dragon Snake :: None kae

He knows this place.

It belongs to his dreams. The silver creature moves between the trees on quiet feet, cloven hooves pressed to moss like a finger pressed daintily to his lips. Shh. He is not the same beast he was when last he tread these paths. He comes without the butterfly, this time. Without the burden of memory a raw wound on his mind. The movement of his legs is too organic, to graceful, to call machine-like but something of the unicorn is less like horse and more like knives.

He calls this inheritance.

No observer could now brand him child with sincerity. He has grown into every promise his soiled bloodlines ever made, and yet he is not the prodigal son setting foot on the soil he was birthed from. No; he is simply a traveler, a wraith passing through again as if called by business left unfinished. He hesitated before, when he was small. Now he drifts between the trees without apology: usurper, trespasser, traitor. A cold part of his heart beats slow recognition. The sparse, silken strands of his whiskers quiver as he fills his lungs with pine, with mountain air and the promise of snow. And in his dreams, in every one he set foot here, he walked this way - was drawn. In his dreams, there was a reason.

A part of him wonders if he is dreaming now. He hesitates, though nothing in the forest threatens him. Briefly, curved silver ears cup forward and the blue, blue winter of his eyes seeks out in the shadows the promise of flame, familiar and cherished.

None is there.

He knows she will not come. He knows he left her far behind for no reason other than his own carelessness. Caneo wonders if the snake now eating up his heart is called grief, or if that, too, is merely his birthright. He stands a while tasting it, whatever it is, feeling it pulse in his veins. The evening stinks with the promise of a coming winter, and his thoughts shift to the cold, to machinery and great, horned creatures laboring through snow. Does he return to them? Does he seek the desert elsewhere, the daughter of a god he despised? Or is it the moon, the cunning moon, who sings to him now in her own sweet voice? She is just visible behind him, a crooked white sickle to mirror the silvered sheen of his coat. And Caneo knows uncertainty.

This is the only gift Helovia ever gave him.

He is wary now, as he peers into the woods. Because a moving target is a more difficult one, he presses on. No specific destination calls him; no face floats in the surface of his mind, begging to be found. Those who would be there are drowned in memory. Those who will come... he looks forward to them, instead. New faces. A new self. He is not the boy who left, not the stunted creature begging for something like family. All that softness has bled from him like the black bled from his coat once, long ago. Now, he is a knife.

He wonders if tonight will find for him a wielder.

full image

ooc | Anyone welcome! Trying to shake the rust off.

* violence & magic use always permitted *
Do not tag Caneo unless you are starting a new thread you would like me to see! Thank you!

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds
Essetia & Romul
And although I wasn't losing my mind, It was a chorus so sublime
Like ghosts in the night we trailed effortlessly again into the realm of unknown faces. There were so many, some new and some old, that wandered back into Helovia looking to remember the security and the faith only this land offered in such abundance. We’d been coaxed somehow into believing that this was where we belonged, where we thrived. No matter how many times I tried to run from my evils, my travels always knew the direction of home…

Childhood was indeed far behind us, of that I was certain, and I’d managed to accept the responsibility that came with simply growing up. Past hurts, past loves, and past doubts were meant to be the past. Of course, there were definitely times in which those haunts still shaped me, or bent me. My flesh was not armor and my heart was just glass- as much as it pained me to admit, I was not immortal. I was just as easily broken as everyone else.

The faint hints of moonlight that drifted through the sullen branches of the autumn trees bathed the path ahead in a sheer, white light. Darkness touched everything in between like the greed that so often purged even the purest of hearts. Romul and I were in no hurry as we roamed the quiet wood in silence. We didn’t need words to express our desire for thought and our consequent need for distraction. It was like a well that quickly became too deep to escape, and one that had recently sent me away from everything I’d built after the invasion of the Hidden Falls.

I was weak, but not without the strength to counter it. I was growing, blossoming, and one day I would pull myself from the well I’d fallen into.

From behind, I watched as Romul drifted across the moonlit path in a haphazard pattern that led me to believe he had yet to find anything of interest. However, when he caught the traces of a vaguely recognizable scent, he paused to turn his golden eyes back at me in question. Indeed, whatever he’d found felt somewhat familiar, but too distant and foreign to quickly recall. I nodded once out of mere curiosity and sent the wolf onward as my guide.

It wasn’t long before my bonded encountered the specimen from whence the fragrance had ultimately originated, but without the intermingling of past vagabonds to mask his identity, I realized that I’d seen his face before. Yet, I couldn’t readily bring his name to mind, for our meeting had been so brief… so very fleeting. However, I remembered those icy, blue eyes- they were somehow burned into my memory, if nothing else.

For a time I simply followed him in his wandering before finally breaking free of my tendency to hide. Romul was the first to greet him as we approached the stallion from behind and the wolf was quite vocal as he yipped and purred like an inexperienced pup. I on the other hand preferred to engage him from afar- life alone had taught me a few handy tricks. “Are you heading to some place in particular?” I questioned uncertainly. If there were gaps to be filled about who the boy was, then surely he’d fill them. If not, then I’d clearly been mistaken… Maybe I didn’t know him at all.

ooc: eh, I'm sorry, it's been such a long day, but I wanted to respond!
Image Credit

@Caneo

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

He does not expect to be hunted.

The soft footfalls of his pursuers only catch the unicorn's attention when they close; the wolf he doesn't hear at all until it calls to him. Then everything under his skin turns electric; muscle flares to life, rippling in hard whorls over slim struts of bone. He wants to spin and face them, but he freezes. Shadows dance inside the flare of black velvet nostrils. Breathe, he tells himself. In. Out. 1, 2, 3.

When he does turn, he turns slowly. His tail flicks into the motion, betraying agitation otherwise contained. The smooth cup of his ears speaks only of interest; the delicate tilt of the head is amused. I do not fear you, says everything else. "Wolf," Caneo voices the word. His voice is a song, light and smooth. Anywhere else, such a creature might mean danger, but not here. The timber of its cries tell him this one is tame; the looseness in its body befits greeting or play, not hunt. The moment he discerns this, he looks past it for the one it belongs to.

“Are you heading to some place in particular?” She finds him first.

Moonlight illuminates white markings on her face, framing the strange mare's features in icy light. Looking at her smells like falling snow; he doesn't know why. "Never," he says lightly, as if it's a joke. "Are you looking for someone in particular?" A counter to her opening move. Caneo's eyes move carefully across her frame, as if he can leech secrets from her skin. He knows this, at least, from looking: the shadows hold a body bigger than his own. They hold her at a distance, though. She is fearful or cunning - or both. Intrigue prickles up and down his skin, like cold.

full image

@Essetia

Do not tag Caneo unless you are starting a new thread you would like me to see! Thank you!

Essetia & Romul
Transitions: they were they very bones of life. If we were not settling from transition, we were planning to make one. Otherwise, boredom often outweighed our need for permanence.

From my point of view, he was water rushing along the riverbed… He possessed the rare quality to overcome and to transform even the landscape in his capable hands. It was something I saw in his eyes, a momentary lapse of fear and overcoming that was suddenly ablaze when his attention became mine, honest and unwavering.

Wolf,” he’d muttered almost conspicuously. The term was appreciably divergent from what Romul actually stood for, at least to me, but I refrained from the correction fearing I’d somehow offend. Instead I let his observations wash over me undisputed; for what did it matter how a stranger regarded the creature I’d chosen to hold to heart?

There was a slight lull then, between the moment in which he’d decided to address me and the moment in which I’d decided that I knew that voice, that face… He’d been bathed in the dull, wintry light of the cathedral then, his greyed coat a beautiful mixture of vibrant red and blue. Yet, I could not seem to drudge up the fine details behind the man, just images of a life that I’d tried mercilessly to forget.

When at last the answer to my question finally came, I shuffled forth into the silvery glow of the moonlit walk. At first I felt vulnerable and raw, as if presenting myself to him were an unimaginable feat, but it later dispersed against the curvature of my figure and the influence that defined it. I was not some petulant ingrate, but a woman of talent if I so deemed it. However, it didn’t account for my uneasiness or my sudden lack of poise.

Would it matter if I were?” I responded idly. I’d managed to shorten the distance between us, but there remained a healthy divide at our heart- one I’d not soon see closed. Somehow we’d engaged in this game of cat-and-mouse, an almost cathartic rhythm of push-and-pull that was both unsettling and familiar. On a whim I smiled, almost deceived by the boy’s certain sense of purpose. “If you’ve no destination in mind, then perhaps you could spare me some company for a time? It seems as though neither of us have anywhere we need to be.

ooc It seems as though I've mixed up timelines between this thread and another- hope nighttime works for you. I'll edit otherwise.
Image Credit

@Caneo

Caneo's thoughts swarm at something hiding in periphery. He watches it without watching, waiting for the thing in his head to surface as he eyes the mare. All this fires in reaction to her; she means something, but he can't remember what. Did they meet before? Was she a member of the Basin - but no horn. Something else, then. Eyes a little harder than they were a moment ago, he studies the white framing her features. Dark makes a trick of everything; rarely has Caneo ever wished for morning, but now he almost does.

Of course, he takes the path etched by patience, instead. The almost-stranger answers his question with a question. This conversation hums pleasantly somewhere in his chest, banishing whatever sharpness welled in there before. The hollowness of him will never vanish - cannot be filled - but maybe for a portion of this night he can pretend to forget. Laughter silvering his voice, he says, "I guess not." Past encounters taught him the threshold forest was a place for winning minds, but maybe something else moves her feet - or maybe she is more cunning than the rest. He wonders, briefly, if his mind is close to being won, but after five years walking this earth, Caneo's heart still sings for no one.

(fireflies dance, treacherous, in a discarded memory)

When the stranger asks her next question, Caneo's ears twitch, betraying surprise. Almost flattered, he laughs. "Are you sure you weren't looking for me, Huntress?" But silently, Caneo wonders what sort of game this is. He keeps half an ear cocked to the rest of the night as he glances, once more, at the wolf. Perhaps they have met somewhere else; he passed through too many places on his last visit here, and remembered all of them too poorly.

But he does remember cold.

Maybe this meeting is worth more than killing time, if he wants it to be. Caneo recalls the very real emptiness of his guts during his last months in Helovia and the kindness of his mood declines. He will not - cannot - weather that again. He says nothing about it, but the truth of cold starvation colors his thoughts when he next speaks. "I guess I don't mind staying here a little longer," Caneo allows, "but how can I keep you company from so far away?" He cocks his head, all innocence. "I'm harmless compared to your friend."

full image

ooc | @Essetia I think I mentioned moonlight in an earlier post, so yes, definitely night!

Essetia & Romul
We were suddenly gridlocked, both struggling to put the pieces together where we thought they were meant to fall, but could not. If I’d been able to come close enough to observe the lines along his face (they’d aged) and perhaps study the blue of his eyes (they’d darkened), I might have been able to see the boy I once met in the Rotunda. But even he had changed like I had… we were now no longer carefree, though we dared to try.

The boy asked if he was not in fact the one I’d been looking for and I took a second to mull it over. He was jovial, even at a distance, and I nodded slowly while stepping forward once again until understanding stopped me in my tracks. “Maybe you are,” I replied lightly while dipping my head. However, I couldn’t shake free ideas of the past as I rolled my shoulders forward, still uncertain, still perplexed.

Romul whimpered at my heels, impatient and headstrong, and I motioned to send him away into the woodland to scout the nearby surroundings. A part of me wanted to go with him and avoid the rising apprehension that dulled my sense of awareness, but obligation and curiosity kept me in place. As I stared after my bonded long after he’d disappeared into the dying underbrush, I was startled from my musings by the boyish laughter of my newest companion. It was enough to tug a smile from my hardened lips and I wondered why I was so suddenly unsure. Many times before I’d spent my days recruiting and conversing with personalities of all types, but this time felt different…  Perhaps it was because there was a persistent feeling of remembrance that wasn’t quite… remembered.

But the world continued to turn without me and I was compelled to return to the formalities and the small talk and the wonder. For in fact, I was mystified by his cool demeanor and pleasant expression. He was worldly where I was determined and aged where I was reserved (at least for the time being). It did shock me however, how easily I was able to hold my tongue and my girlish attitude in his presence. He’d robbed me of my playful disposition while instantaneously inspiring me to dig up old memories that had been overshadowed after the invasion- after Midas’ death.

"But how can I keep you company from so far away?"

The question caught me off guard and I wasn't sure whether to scoff or to laugh. Yet, another small smile began to build and with the challenge raised, I answered in kind. “Now I wouldn’t say that,-” I started with a chuckle. Finally forced to face my insecurities, I leaned forward before ultimately approaching the boy with my ears and eyes tilted straight ahead. When I was close enough to actually see him and to remember, I nearly laughed again. My eyes lit up to mimic the moonlight that wafted across the walk and on a slight breath I finished with, “-dreamer.

Maybe I hadn’t been looking for him in the beginning, but it was well enough that I’d found him.

It’s good to see you again.” 

OOC Here
Image Credit

@Caneo

Distance presses down on him: an accumulation of time wasted on his lonesome, speaking only in vague glances at the stars and conversations in his memory. Has he missed this place? Has it left hooks in his heart, to pull him steadily back with each step he took away? Caneo longs to move again, but now only to drag his body nearer this stranger. He expected nothing from tonight, but now he remembers too keenly the stretch and flutter of his heart when last he stood under the Threshold trees.

“Maybe you are,” fails to satisfy him. Maybe is a teasing word. Caneo stares at the wolf as if in search of a better answer. Once, the sharpness of its teeth would have inspired fear. Now... The desert lies too far behind him. The sharp end of the moon, the smell of blood, the blackness of the water... dulled by memory. A thousand other things pile atop his childhood, bending the sharp lines already drawn. Has he forgotten fear?

Curiosity remains. When at last the stranger moves, Caneo grows very still. Not like a moment ago; now he waits like his childhood self once waited for a butterfly to rest its wings upon his nose. The moment hangs fragile over them both. In the stark palette of moonlight, she is dark, but Caneo thinks, brown. Brown like a forest floor to match the green of her eyes, and the shafts of white spilling around them. (colors dancing in the throes of summer, glass between Caneo and the sky)

He shivers.

It's a nervous twitch, reaction to that word she calls him at the same time delight rings through her laugh. For a strange, terrible, unreal moment, Caneo fears he might wake up. And what if he finds himself alone with the stars again, with only memories of those he met before?

But he doesn't wake, and as the feeling passes, a real memory draws into focus: snow falling, the scent of cold, the muted glass a false sky overhead.

Exhale.

In this land of gods and magic, time repeats itself. He blinks at her, remembering she is a sleuth, like Roland. The name escapes him but everything else pours in. He promised her something, didn't he? Caneo isn't sorry, but he does feel... something. Like watching figures in the distance shrink to dust.

"Good," Caneo breathes, echoing the mare. He chuckles. "Did... you ever see it without snow?" Wishes suddenly she was looking for him.

He didn't even know what snow was, then.

But the thing yawning in his chest leaves him vulnerable, and instinct moves to close it off. Shifting his weight, he nods a bit. Perhaps age makes him braver, but he is no fool, and he hates the way he wants to stay here, wallowing. "I left," as if it isn't obvious. "Are things the same here?" Is there anything worth coming back to?

full image

@Essetia

Essetia & Romul
He came back to me, sluggish and faded, but he came back all the same. I saw him as the curtain fell away from the cathedral entrance and I saw him as he told me of a Lord come to visit that very place of worship. Somehow our paths had rejoined after my life had fallen apart… I could momently recall telling him of the beauty of the Hidden Falls just before it was taken and how utterly happy? I’d been.

I’d named him dreamer because I’d seen something in him that was not unlike myself… At the time I thought we’d both been searching for something, hoping it would simply appear. Of course, those were the days in which all things seemed possible- our age and ignorance had fooled us into thinking we were immortal. Yet, time had changed everything, at least for me, and I knew -I knew- that happiness wasn’t something anyone could contain or bottle up. It was a state of mind that was all too easily tarnished and also a state of mind that took years to shine, to luster.

I watched him as I approached, my body swaying to a midnight rhythm, and I imagined him again in the Rotunda. He’d appeared so fragile back then and perhaps even fragile now as he shivered against whatever ghosts were borne of the past. I shook my head, uncertain if I was welcome at his side… Where moments before I’d been joyous, childish even, I felt again unsure… Anxiety coursed through my nerves and I fought hard to ignore the impending effects of worry and doubt. What the boy had awakened in me were only memories of what could have been and dreams I wasn’t entirely willing to let go.

Dreamer asked if I’d ever seen the chapel without the pale shades of the snow to hinder the multicolored, glass ceiling. It was a shame that I’d never returned, a damn shame. The regret was obvious in the way I looked at him, still separated by a few feet of moonlit ground. “I haven’t returned. I guess I was waiting for you… You never finished your story about the Lord,” I informed him softly. As if it mattered now…

Yet, Dreamer continued, his vague explanation leaving me feeling somewhat bereft. I assumed we all left at some point and then returned. Maybe that was a sign of growing up… Maybe we needed to spread our wings before we settled into the daily life Helovia so willingly offered us. But there was so much room for boredom and for thought- I guess that’s why we so often drove ourselves crazy as well. “I left too for a time… and when I returned, everything had changed,” I stated distractedly. The rift, the war, the deaths. Things had certainly changed, but life continued on as if they hadn’t. “The Hidden Falls was invaded- I told you once I’d take you there, but that’s not feasible anymore…

The admission pained me, choked me, and left me to flounder in the mounting agony. Instead of allowing it to manifest outwardly, I felt silent, deadly so. I’d been a captive in the Basin then, a useless chip in a game of chess that I’d never win… “Then, rifts were formed between Helovia and worlds beyond. Apparently strange horses came through the rifts, ones the Gods claimed to be saving… As far as I know, or from what I’ve gathered, diseases and malevolent gods accompanied those creatures and Helovia was at war until they were finally neutralized. So much has happened dreamer.“ I breathed, almost fascinated by the number of events I’d chosen to ignore until that point. “But I reside in the Dragon’s Throat now, a choice I made after the invasion… It’s a shame though, because I said I would take you to see the Falls… Perhaps one day you’ll accompany to the Throat instead?

OOC Here
Image Credit

@Caneo

Dreamer. Was that all he did? Caneo peers back at his old self with a cold eye. What a sad, foolish, vulnerable little boy. The child in his memory stares back at him with sorrowful eyes. Caneo must remind himself to breathe. He forces his mind to the present, to this mare he knows and does not know. Now words flow between them too quickly, and he wants to be clever but his mind is still far away. Sometimes it seems Caneo was born in such a way.

"Sorry," he says without feeling. What good are gods, anyway? "I don't remember him." Staring at the trees, Caneo wonders how much of the Helovia in memory is a dream. It feels too strange now for his waking mind to grasp. Most of the past is that way. Perhaps everything is imagined.

Whether or not the mare is real - whether or not she even matters - Caneo listens to her story. Maybe his younger self was right in sensing kinship when they met. That little warmth, like a newborn flame, burns softly inside him. Not alone. Not right now. But her story turns sad, sadder than his recent tales, and with nothing to say, Caneo remains silent. He wonders if invasion means death. Does she know loss, as well? Does she look out at the world and see emptiness, as he does?

In the moment of her silence, one of Caneo's ears moves gently back. He lifts up his face to bring the velvet nose nearer to her, a tentative motion. Just a brief touch on the neck, unless she moves away. He doesn't know why, but he anticipates a warmth in her skin, and so the act is not entirely altruistic. He doesn't move, though, and should the barest flinch bring her beyond his range, he will not pursue.

Essetia begins to speak again. It sounds like a good story, but maybe too raw to press. Such things are best after aging, maybe even through generations, so the voices telling them feel only wonder instead of pain. "It is a lot," Caneo agrees. Privately, he thinks these gods are probably more trouble than they're worth. What good do they ever do? But then his eye catches the hook of the moon at his back and he regrets it. Didn't she lead him here, once?

Was that kindness?

When Essetia speaks of the Dragon's Throat, Caneo nods. "Sounds hot." He is still thinking of the Hidden Falls, but maybe the place doesn't matter as much as the person showing him. "Do you like it there?" Caneo wonders. She had spoken of the Falls with joy, as if it were a treasure to be shared. This new land... the name reminds him of white sand, the cruel scent of an omnipresent sun. Perhaps the desert calls him once more, this time cloaked beneath a new face. Better or worse?

Caneo decides not to answer the invitation yet; wariness threads through his bones as certainly as blood. He must know more before he decides anything, and still the north calls to him from a long time ago, and a red stallion there, and somewhere... a girl with sunlight in her eyes. He dares not disregard even those old dreams when he has nothing else.

(yet)

full image

ooc| @Essetia he's definitely going to follow her to the Throat.... just couldn't quite get him there in this post.

Essetia & Romul
A cold shadow veiled the chambers of my thoughts, vivid and irresistible. The memories were like a dam that, when touched, began to crumble, opening barriers that once kept all of the good and all of the bad at bay. Certain situations remained unclear and perhaps a bit detached, but others returned in a flood of images and words. I’d forgotten how much I’d felt and how much I’d tried to suppress those emotions beneath what I deemed to be a ‘thick skin.’ But, the results were always the same and always hugely confounding.

If I were to reflect, and I mean truly reflect, on the things I’d endured, the things I’d enjoyed, the things I’d simply loved- how could I pool them all together to form one individual, myself? It was all too complex and too large for me to justly appreciate as a whole… and so I’d forgotten in order to somehow remember.

I followed the path of his stare toward the trees, able now to disregard the old fairytales I’d been relying on. We were not royalty living in some castle. We were the paupers and the merchants- the serfs that toiled in the fields by day and feared for their families by night. The casualties we suffered were minor ones in comparison to the rights of the gods we worshipped. Even Lords were capable of falling by the wayside apparently, and who could blame him for be unable to summon such trivial faces after desiring to leave them behind? Dreamer and I had at least one trait in common- we hadn’t the room to mend another’s circumstances or learn their stories… In that way we, or at least I, was broken.

I nodded absently, still trying to recall what we’d shared so long ago. It hadn’t been much, just daydreams in fact, but it was still -he was still- something I remembered despite myself.

Like a child distracted by fireflies, my eyes danced around the woodland searching for signs of life. Yet, the forest and all its creatures were still fast asleep. Maybe I was sleeping too. I was not alive with enthusiasm nor was I filled with the vibrant hate that had consumed me before fleeing the Throat. Instead, I was pleasantly numb or just comfortably unconscious. That was, until the slightest brush velvet against my neck left my skin aflame, momentarily feeling. My muscles felt tense and I was furthermore uncertain, still unaccustomed to the advances of another aside from Romul. However, I bowed my head and sighed, welcoming Dreamer to my side. This will be a moment that I remember, I told myself silently.

After trying to fill the gaps in his knowledge about the rifts and their strange Gods, I felt as though I could do Helovia little justice where the past few months of violence were concerned. Somehow I doubted I could do such a thing even if I’d stayed. “It is a lot… and I’m probably not the one to ask about it anyhow,” I supplied regrettably.  I hadn’t been there after all. “And the Throat is quite warm, but still pleasantly so. I can’t say that I’ve tired of sunbathing just yet,” I admitted with a slight smile. “I guess the true reason I chose to come back was because I missed this-,” I said while motioning toward the tall trees around us. If stars could have been borne in my eyes, they would have glittered as my gaze trailed the surrounding wood. “-I missed calling something home.

Slowly, with a wide, girlish stare, I looked back to Caneo hoping that he would see it too, because if he did… then maybe that meant it was real. Maybe I’d finally been able to admit why I was so tied to Helovia and its tragedies. Maybe it was simply because it was home.

OOC Here
Image Credit

@Caneo

They return to each other worn, like toys taken out too often. The sharp edges have gone and reformed elsewhere. Things once bright, once so important to who they were, no longer exist at all. And yet they are the same. Caneo, quiet now, even his harmless curiosities bottled up, and Essettia, soft with weariness, with the weight of some suffering he cannot guess. His heart flutters its tired wings in triumph when the mare softens under his touch. That was a daring thing, a new thing, an action his past self would never have dared take. He does not regret it, now. He gazes at her with softer eyes, a little warm, a little happier. Perhaps the anchor pulling him back to Helovia is not here; perhaps that was not what he needed to find.

"Okay," he says gently in response to the first statement. One of his ears turns back, painting a mild frown across his features. He wonders what exactly she suffered, what she has lost. And is there some way to return it? Or are certain parts of them truly lost, gone forever to the whims of age and time? Does that make them broken or simply different? He isn't sure. Caneo has always felt something missing from himself, but outside the minds of others, he cannot judge whether or not such an experience renders him unique. He knows he wants Essetia to be happy, though. He wants to feel the joy and mystery she evoked in him on their first meeting, under the snow and the dim glow of lights.

So maybe he can take her there again.

Maybe growing up means nothing more than living through mistakes. Caneo listens to her speak about the Dragon's Throat. His own face mimics, shyly, the smile opening on hers. "I grew up in a warm place," he muses aloud. His younger self remembered sunlight like a wound, remembered only fear chasing his heels across the endless white sand. But there were good things also, weren't there? Things which made him what he is now, fragile thing refusing to break, hollow thing trying to fill. This Dragon's Throat sounds softer than his past, but maybe pleasingly familiar, too. Something in Caneo's blood aches for sunlight and the stretch of miles under his legs just as his heart cries to the moon and the voices in starlight. "Home," he breathes, softly, after the mare. And when was Caneo home?

He has spent a lifetime in search of such a thing.

"It's different," he allows, "from any other place." And how much can he tell her? And how much can he admit to himself? "I think there are things here I can't forget." Caneo frowns again, and sighs. "I came back because I couldn't leave." If that is home, it feels somehow less substantial than he expected it to. He returns the cold blue of his eyes to the vibrant green of hers, his gaze steady, expression fathomless again but hardly unwelcoming. "I want to see your Dragon's Throat. Not someday, but today. Or tomorrow." Plans fall apart and get forgotten; he tires of dreaming only to be led astray, but he allows a little extra time, assuming they will walk some distance. He recalls Helovia is large, a vastness once important to his dreaming mind. He hesitates then, maybe fearful his next words will break something of what is between them. But the knowledge he wants to give is knowledge those close to him must have, if he intends to keep anyone close.

"My name is Caneo," he says. The first person he said this to laughed at him. That was a long time ago, though, and the bones of that creature have long been picked clean. Such is the fate of those he has held dear. But if Helovia is kinder, if Helovia is home... He gives his name now to someone he would choose for a new family. "I guess you should know it."

full image

@Essetia

Essetia & Romul
There is magic all around us and yet not within us. We are dull, shattered glass, once painted, but taught to shed our light. Our pieces lay about carelessly, spurning those who touch us… what a shame we are. Even as the sunlight warms our surface, we are still cold, still chilled from too many nights in the dark, in our thoughts.  It pains me to imagine two saddened children searching for life and for answers and for love. But I am lifted by the thought of our sameness… two glass figurines broken by the time and yet, somehow, lovely.

The boy, a tragic result of circumstances unknown, nods his assent and I watch the lines around his velvet lips as he frowns. Instinctively, I want to reach out and smooth away those lines and again unearth the smile I’d delighted in just moments ago. Instead, I shy away from the imaginary touch and fall back into the shadows of the night, certain that they can hide my insecurities, fold them into the crisp fall air, and wash them away in a ribbon of moonlight.

But I haven’t the time to lose myself to the fantasy, at least not when Dreamer speaks. At times I am known to drift, to falter, but he tethers me to the ground, a rock amongst the waves that will one day rip me from myself. He mentions warmth and a place he once called home, but offers nothing more… I wonder why he has paused, ignoring to elaborate, and yet cannot find the courage to press him for more answers. “I grew up by the sea,” I answer uselessly. The statement holds no value now, nor will it ever again. It is for that reason that I surmise he does not wish to recall his childhood… and the reason I wish to bury my own.

Yet, there is more between us, a fragile tie that grows stronger only because we finally allow it. Dreamer mentions home and I listen with rapt attention as the word brings slight emotion to his shadowed face. It is fleeting and I miss it when it is gone, but I nod, fully understanding how Helovia has enraptured us both. “There are many things here… probably too much to outrun anymore,” I agree sullenly. As if to add to that fact, I glance around at the Threshold once more, finally seeing more than just the pines and oaks that tower above us, but the faces and the memories of others.

We had both decided to stay and fight our demons… but that would be a long journey and one that required help.

I turn back to Dreamer to find his eyes upon me, staring through my walls despite my efforts to keep them strong. Perhaps it is then that I realize he is carefully tearing them down, forcing me to stand when I wish to cower. It is that preoccupation that catches me beneath the heart when the boy admits that he would like to see the Dragon’s Throat- my home. I wonder if he too will call it home then… Will he call a place always by my side… his? I smile unabashed, genuinely happily. “You won’t be disappointed.

I say it as if it is fact or as if I can dictate what Dreamer –Caneo- will feel among those people. Worry sets in, deep and heavy, but I hide my fraying nerves as best as I can and approach him with my muzzle outstretched to mimic his own earlier embrace. “I still prefer Dreamer.Because that’s what you once were.

OOC Here
Image Credit

@Caneo