[PRIVATE] YOUTH.

Enna Posts: 172
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 :: 5 ( TALLSUN ) HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Mehr :: Arctic Wolf :: None kels
if there's no one beside you when your soul embarks
THEN I WILL FOLLOW YOU IN TO THE DARK

For too long you have avoided him.

From the moment that you woke up not feeling exactly right, your stomach in knots and head in a whirl, you had avoided him. At first it had been because you wanted to be absolutely right; and as the days progressed and you had only grown in size, in discomfort, it had become harder and harder to deny. And when it had surpassed denial, it became plain and simple fear that kept you from him. Fear because of your daughter—that it had been your fault and this one would end up the same; fear of how you could be a mother when you can hardly take care of yourself.

Even you do not want to admit the reason that you had not sought out your strength, your hart: the fear of it changing everything, fear of if he would leave you, disappear and leave you with just a memory, a shell of what could have been.  It is but a fleeting thought that he had not come to seek you out, and all that it could mean, your mind too occupied with thoughts of what is to come. Too long you had allowed yourself to wallow in your doubts and blame, suffered with the aching of your heart, longing of your body if only just to be near him, to touch him and experience everything that he is, everything that you have missed. Too long, you had decided, traveling down from your mountain in the north to the mist-veiled forests of the west. Too long, and yet not long enough, you decide, dreading the moments that loom before you, your steps heavier, slower, than ever as you walk through the thin trunks, eyes tracing figures within the thick fog.

It is easy to recall your lack of love for this place, the friendly (and yet somehow frigid) greeting that had met you at the gates. The spotted man, who called himself a king, the Antelope that holds too much familiarity in his strangeness to you. But it is not them that you crave, not them that your heart quickens its pace for, not their faces that cling to the back of your eyelids; not them that you are here to see.  With that, you push them from your mind, pausing along the edges of shattered glass with a hesitant breath. You do not call for him, hoping that it would be enough to wait, unwilling to deal with the unwanted attention that screeching names would bring. Instead, you lower yourself slowly, quietly, to the ground, resting against the support and security of a tree.

image credits

@Rohan
HERE GOES NOTHING LOL
for those of you curious, she does stop at the border and wait.
if you really want to have her intercepted i dont mind, but rohan and her will be moving off if so :3

please tag enna in every post
violence permitted barring permanent injury / death

Rohan Posts: 132
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.0 :: 8 years HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Éomer :: White-tailed Eagle :: Scream Reli
So don’t leave me here on my own—
without you I’m so lost
When the faintest trails of her scent begin to trickle into his nostrils, into his mind, Rohan passes it off as nothing more than memory—nothing more than his foolish and fickle mind, playing tricks and clawing at the barricades and walls that he has sought to strengthen (seemingly to no avail). Still she is there. Every one of his thoughts is intertwined with images of beautiful, mismatched eyes; of long, cascading locks; of the soft, playful curve of her lips. Island breezes and ocean waves besiege him, restless and poignant and infuriating and beautiful. The stallion feels haunted, unable to escape her, escape the dreams, unable to escape himself.

Perhaps a wiser, less stubborn stallion would concede to these things, allow himself the bliss of companionship and rejoice in her company (because certainly, it is no question of Enna’s company—he thoroughly enjoys being around her—but it is own self with which he wrestles). Rohan will not allow himself such pleasures, such happiness. Because what is love, if not fickle, and vain, and selfish? It is better this way, he thinks, undoubtingly, sparing both himself and her from the paltry heartache (surely an unavoidable doom).

Still, he would definitely like to see Enna again. Deep within his heart of hearts, perhaps there is a part of him that has missed her, longed for her—the heavens know that he has certainly craved her. His skin still prickles with the memories, flushing with a surge of heat, and the quickening of his heart thundering loudly in his chest. Rohan has not forgotten—could not forget—the taste of her skin, the delicacy of her body, and the warmth of her embrace. It is all of these things that he ponders now, not realizing the gradual potency of her scent (fueling the images that flare beneath his eyes) until he is almost upon her.

“Enna?” His surprise manages to leak into his tone, broadening the depth of the sound as it stretches and reaches for the mare. Of all the places in Helovia, he had least expected to see her here. Why? He wonders, though his flighty mind is too distracted by her mere presence to consider the question for long—consumed instead by her proximity, he ambles forward, slipping quickly into his usual ease and swagger. “What brings you to my neck of the woods, sweetheart?” He grins crookedly, playfully, bright eyes searching through the mists and shadows that lay swathed around her.

Through their cocoon the stallion breaches, unknowingly ensnaring himself in a web he doesn’t realize he’s woven. Slowing when her shape becomes clearer, his gaze wanders over her physique—as it often does—but the charismatic mischief of his features slowly drips away, leaving behind raw and confusing emotions. The roundness of the mare’s body in unmistakable. Her abdomen is swollen, bulging, and thrumming with life—he has seen it before, many, many months ago—but—how?—no—could it be?!

Rohan swallows against the tightness of his throat, suddenly feeling very cold. At last he looks to her eyes (those beautiful, mesmerizing eyes!) and dares to force breath and words from his tongue. “You are…” he has to swallow again, pursing his lips before continuing, “Is it…?” But he doesn’t need an answer. He already knows—somehow, some part of him already knows the sire of the…child. Why else would she be here? The delightful strumming of his heart quickly accelerates, heightening into a drum of anger and frustration and confusion and fear. “I can’t be a father,” Rohan gasps, the words meant for himself, their fervor echoing throughout out every fiber of his being.

I’m not ready to be a father.

notes; Aaaahhhh!:DDD
“Speech.”
without you I’m so cold
rohan & enna
@Enna | image credits
[Image: 57c5195f31f1b_by_relibelli-db9li1z.png]
please tag Rohan in all replies!
magic & force is permitted, excluding death or permanent injury.

As the pieces click and recognition of the blooms on his face, so too does his uncertainty and fear; it etches into the handsome lines of his face, waking your heart, breathing new life in to the fears that had begun to dissipate. You rise to meet him but do not embrace him as you always have, though your skin longs for his touch, unsure of what he needs, what he wants to make this moment any easier. You hadn’t given yourself the chance to think it through, afraid that if you had you would have convinced yourself to turn around, flee from the responsibility, bury all of your fear and doubt and blame somewhere where you wouldn’t find it again.

Never mind that there is something that you cannot run from inside of you with its own heartbeat, own tiny movements—in the months to come, its own mind, thoughts, breaths—its own life—the thought of it is enough to quell your rising panic, your mind grasping at just what that means, its own life, and you cannot help the small smile that claws itself up your lips. Its life, with you to teach it all of the things within your small little world, nurture it, keep it safe—the smile fades as you look back up to Rohan’s face, see there all of the things that plague your heart, begin to smother the excitement that a child should bring, all of the things you started to feel anew from the moment you knew, despite all of your worry, despite the reluctance of your heart to love that way again.

It hits you like a brick wall then, amongst the lost look in his eyes, amongst the terror written all over his face, that you cannot imagine having this child without him, ears tilting back as you step a single step towards him, wanting, needing, to share this moment, to turn it into something that would not leave him seeming to feel so very cold. To show him that the child that grows within your womb (seemingly by the second), that you, need him, and just how very much. That it will, somehow, if he would only give it the chance, all be alright. “I’m sorry,” you pause, your brows furrowing for a second as you try your best to compose your thoughts, slow the beating of your thrumming heart, press just another step closer. “I’m sorry that I didn’t tell you sooner.”  Another step, and one more, your body aching feverishly for his warmth, his safe embrace, things that you have so terribly missed.

“I didn’t know how, I—I still don’t know how.” You are uncertain any more as to whether it is still the child you are talking about, or something that shifts deep in your heart every time you so much as think of his name, his sweet smile, summer eyes. You can feel it now, glowing hotly as you move ever-nearer to him, finally press your nose to his cheek. As you breathe him for the first time in too long, selfishly, greedily, it only leaves you craving more, more as you trail your muzzle along his neck, to his shoulder, finally pressing the bridge of your nose to the tuck of his throat, pulling your body as close to his as you are able, wanting only to be so much closer. "I know it's a lot, but our child needs you. You breathe into him, your heart skipping a hesitant beat.

"And I need you, too, Rohan."

NO BLINDING LIGHT, OR TUNNELS TO GATES OF WHITE
      — just our hands clasped so tight,
     waiting for the hint of a spark.
image credits

@Rohan

without you I’m so lost
I’m not ready to be a father.

I’m not—I can’t be a father.

These words—these fears—are all that echo in the stallion’s mind. For a moment—for several long, dreadful moments—they are all that he can comprehend. He doesn’t notice when the small mare shifts her weight forward, her apology drown out by the mess of emotions that knot and writhe beneath every surface of his body. For a moment, he only gives her silence—his mind screaming and howling out at her, at the world. Why?! He pleads, he demands, I’m not ready to be a father! Of this, he is certain. There are many titles he has worn graciously—warrior, explorer, lover, friend, enemy, idiot, fool—but father? No. That is a title he is not prepared willing to bear.

Her apologies and her pleads, they pass through him like ghosts, leaving him cold and distant. He seems to look past her, unfocused and detached, too consumed by his own horrors to care much for the turmoil that she bears herself. Finally, he manages movement—the slow flexing of his jaw, the heavy curling of his tongue, and the choked words that break woodenly from his lips. “How long…have you—?” known. It’s been months since that glorious fateful day, when he had been too captivated by long lashes and sparkling eyes to worry about the consequences.

Not that consequences have ever been much of a concern for the reckless stallion.

Her sudden touch startles him—

Rohan flinches when he feels her warmth against his cheek, recoiling for half a second before he gives in, falling almost wearily into her embrace. It is toxic, her proximity. The closer she presses herself to his chest, the more he forgets, and the more he craves. For too long he has been without her touch; for too long he has been without her smile; for too long…he has been without her. “Enna…” the stallion breathes, pulling her closer, wishing everything else away.

For a moment, everything is right again; but it is gone too quickly. That beautiful voice…her voice…forms words that cut through the silence, piercing through the warmth of his haze and dragging him back into the harshness of reality. Perhaps, at any other time, he would dare to ponder, dare to dream, about her confession of need for him—but he is too fixated on the bitterness of reality, of this responsibility that he doesn’t want. “Our…child,” he cries through gritted teeth, his deep voice more of a hiss as it is spit from his lips. Suddenly his body is cold, rigid, a statue that is frozen and unyielding against the mare’s tender heart.

“I…can’t—I’m—sorry, Enna,” his voice is strangled and almost pained, but clipped and firm in his defiance. “I—can’t,” he turns away from her, releasing their embrace and allowing the cold mists and dark shadows to spill into the empty space between them. If there wasn’t pride etched into every crevice of his character, there would be shame across his face, his body—a hurting and dishonorable shame. It is not an indignity he is unfamiliar with.

He is not an honest man

She deserves better. Better than this arrogant twit that stands before her, too frightened to face his past, and too foolish to let it go.

With clenched jaws, he sighs heavily, antlered head refusing to fall to the obligation that threatens to overpower him. “It will be better off without me; you’ll…be better off without me,” his voice wavers, threatening to break and crumble and collapse; it is not the child that he mourns, but its mother. He needs her far more than he cares to admit—far more than he knows. Turning to face her, he manages to meet her eye squarely, a whisper of a smile ghosting along his lips, “You will make a great mother, darling.” This he does not doubt, and for a moment, the coldness cracks, and his smile widens—

—but it cannot last forever. Too soon those stone walls melt themselves back together, screaming at him fears truths that resonate into his very bones.

I’m not ready to be a father—!

The stallion’s ears pin back into the unruliness of his mane, a coldness washing again over his features, hardening the rugged lines in an attempt to drown out his terrors. Stiffly, he turns from her, instinctively curling his head into his chest defensively. “You’ll be better off without me,” it is said brokenly, painfully, vehemently.

It is for her own good.

“Speech.”
without you I’m so cold
rohan & enna
@Enna | image credits

if there's no one beside you when your soul embarks
THEN I WILL FOLLOW YOU IN TO THE DARK

“Too long,” A quiet confession, an admittance of your terror and reluctance to tell him of things you didn’t—don’t—know just how to handle yourself. It is no excuse, you know, breathing against him as he caves to your touch, as if nothing has changed, pulled close to his chest in an embrace that alights a passion within your heart that is his, his alone. It is in this embrace that everything else seems inconsequential, too far away to ever dream of causing harm, in his embrace, cradled so close, so close, his beating heart against your skin, his breaths quiet in your ears, that you feel whole.

Our… child,’

Your eyes flicker open at the sound of his voice, the chill within them sending a shiver down your spine, snuffing out any warmth to your very core. There is a distinctive want to defend the child within you, your own teeth grinding together in annoyance at the way he had spat it, black tongue coiling within your mouth. It is all forgotten as something shifts, his body growing taught against you, the sense of tenderness that had grown between the two of you ripped away, leaving your heart bare, confusion swelling beneath the surface. ‘I…can’t—I’m—sorry, Enna, I—can’t.’ Brows furrow as you try to lift your head from him, his body pulling away from you abruptly, leaving you to stumble forwards in to the emptiness. Your skin pricks at the sudden iciness in the air, something you hadn’t noticed until now, standing alone, his face as impassive as a mountain’s, staring down at you as if you are nothing. A thousand questions a torrent of noise in your mind, your heart quivering, refusing to allow the meaning of his words—something you barely have a grasp on, do not want to have a grasp on—to permeate its frailness. “I … I don’t understand.”

It will be better off without me; you’ll…be better off without me,

You can only stare at him as your world seemingly stops. It is in the way that you cannot feel your heartbeat, the air siphoning down your throat; cannot hear the ocean, the sound of life that abounds in the forest surrounding you. You blink slowly, only registering the movement as seconds of darkness followed by too much light as the world returns in to focus, his face the first, the last, the only thing you want to see. Inwardly, you reach for him, wanting desperately to fall in to him, seek the sanctuary that you have always found in his arms, beg for him to take it back, to love you; to love you, the way that you have always loved him. But you simply stand, unable to feel your limbs, unable to trust yourself to even make it to him, as close (too, too far from you) as he stands.

Even as his lips move, form words, they are nothing but silence to you. It is only that smile that reaches something within you, shakes you from the nothingness that had enveloped you, your chest heaving, suddenly wild with an ache that makes it hard to breathe, your cheeks wet and cold with tears that you hadn’t realized you were crying against the mist that clings to your body. It is a feral anger that registers first, and it is this anger that you try to cling to, desperate to feel something.

You promised—” For too long you had remained silent, but It is only a ghost of defiance that speaks, that memory, that frail, fragile, crumbling memory, a desperate grasp at a weakening defense, a very last chance. You had never meant it as a weapon, never thought you would feel the need to use it as a weapon in all of your childish, stupid recollections, dreams, of your sandstone man. Never once had you thought that it would be him to leave your side, betray you. “You promised. Does that mean nothing to you? Do I mean nothing to you?”

It is caught between a choke and a snarl, the words rushed, hushed, wilting and broken. All too soon you realize the answer, the shards of your heart digging deeper, your stomach twisting in knots. It is with this revelation that you want to say more, want to hurt him, want to make him regret, but it is somehow still the farthest thing from your mind, from the shattered pieces of your heart. Even though he is capable, fine with, hurting you so, it is him, only him, that you do not want to see suffer. “You… you are wrong.” And so, you do your best to gather what is left of yourself, look one last time to him, unable to even see his face, in a silent goodbye, a small, defeated smile flashing on your lips. “I only hope you never realize it yourself.” You turn pointedly on tiny heels, rushing to get away, to find someplace away from him, from prying eyes, to fall apart.

image credits

@Rohan

without you I’m so lost
“You promised—”

Her words suddenly cut through the silence that had settled between them, piercing through the haze of emotions and striking him like a knife. Instinctively the stallion bristles, his selfish, swollen pride flaring in foolish and blind indignation. How dare she ask anything of him now, as if he had ever been one to promise himself, ever been one to give in to responsibility and chain himself down. She should have known better than that—she should have known. The acerbic bite of barbed words rises to his tongue, stinging and sharpened, wanting to be rid of his guilt and shove it into her face—to cut her down and bite back

—but…he can’t.

He can’t. Not to her.

The fiery anger suddenly dissolves into smoke, callous words dying on his lips and leaving only a sighing, broken exhale to seep into the cool air. From a guarded expression, he watches her, unwilling to give in to the shame and reveal—unwilling to admit—just how much he is crumbling inside…how broken he feels, with the pieces of him cracking and shuddering beneath the weight of his bitter remorse. It is better this way. He is no knight, he is no hero, and he certainly is no prince. He is nothing that Enna deserves.

“You promised. Does that mean nothing to you? Do I mean nothing to you?”

Deeper the knife is pushed, twisting and carving to find his shattered heart, severing strings he hadn’t even realized had been tied. Some part of the stallion aches to reach out to her, to hold her, and release her of the pain and anger that clouds her eyes and sharpens every line of her delicate face (an agony that he had thrust upon her—). ‘You mean everything to me, Enna!’ He wants to scream, to declare from somewhere inside the abyss of his heart, but the words only grasp at emptiness. He can’t say it, he doesn’t realize it, and even if he did confess that there was some part of him that needed her (like he needs oxygen), he would refuse to believe it.

Once upon a time, bathed in ruby waters and in the throes of disease, he had dared to think that things could be different, dared to allow himself a fantasy of simpler, more remarkable things. That he could change. But no—wild, impulsive, proud, unattached—these are what he is. What he has been. And what he will be. He knows no different.

Surely there is no changing that.

She needs a man who will stand at her side, and he—he cannot. Not in the way that she is asking of him. Even so, the stallion doesn’t understand how his heart hurts when she turns away, how his body yearns for her touch, how the pinprick of tears sting the back of his eyes, with a single one escaping to leave a lonely stream across his cheek. ‘Wait, Enna!’ his mind cries desperately for her, ‘come back!’ Words leap to his throat, explanations and endearments and apologies—but what would all that mean now? She is gone. And so the words are choked into nothingness, dying with not even a whisper left on his tongue. Only long after she has disappeared is he able to speak, the murmur of his voice stiff, broken, and painful:

“You are better off without me.”

And yet, the pain only grows. Desperately, he can feel himself clinging to her knife, pressing it deeper if only to feel some part of her, to somehow hold her close one last time. Gritting his teeth, the stallion fights off what little part of himself cries, what little voice echoes and swells through the space of her absence. From the deepest fragments of his heart, it demands a solitary, poignant question:

But what will I do without you?

“Speech.”
without you I’m so cold
rohan & enna
@Enna | image credits