the Rift

[OPEN] The Girl Who Fights Bears

Ki'irha Posts: 176
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 years old HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Noella
Snow was falling steadily as they crossed over the tundra. Though Frostfall was still a ways off, the chill had returned to the north, and with it came the frost and white that was accumulating in sweeping drifts.

The blue made her way along, cutting a solid path through the white as she lead a unicorn fae home from the Threshold. She did not need to slow her pace as she had with the filly she had brought here not long ago, as the fighter she had come across in the Threshold seemed hardy enough to not let the cold inhibit her. Enna had broken from their group, escaped ahead as they rested. They would meet again in the Basin, but for now the trio had dwindled to a duo.

"I hope you don't mind the snow," the blue laughed, white clumps clinging to her feathering and mane. "This is only the start. Just wait until Frostfall." Though beautiful, the winter wonderland posed many threats, as the cliffs gave way without warning and the crags were invisible when buried beneath the white. Treacherous footing could easily give way to catastrophic injuries, and though the healers were wonderful, there was only so much that could be done.

The mountains grew from molehills on the horizon. Soon they stood at the mouth of the Basin, the rocks giving way to a magnificent sweeping view of the valley. Evergreens burst from the white, and the glassy sheen of the lake shimmered far off. The star girl smiled, a sigh escaping her. "Behold, Sartura, the Aurora Basin." A frigid wind whipped past them. The blue shivered, as her winter coat had barely begun to grow in. Despite her love for snow, she still coveted the fleeting rays and warmth of the rest of Helovia. Oh well, she was sure to capture what she could before the winter finally embraced the rest of the land, too.

"So, though I have brought you here, I cannot officially welcome you. Someone of higher rank must do that. I'm sure we can find someone. But for now, I'm more than willing to invite you in and show you of this place. All with horns are friends here, and as such you are welcome to enter." She smiled, tail coiling around a rear hoof. "Speaking of rank, many who live here have chosen a vocation. I am Corporal here, and after your battle with the bear I would encourage you to consider using your skills to become a soldier for us. Though, I must say I'm biased. We also have healers, crafters, and storytellers. I'm sure any would be willing to take you in and teach you of their trade." She did not want to rush the newcomer. Hell, she barely knew the doe who she had ushered to her doorstep. It was a lot to take in, and Ki'irha was more than willing to assist the girl the best she could.

Talk
OOC// A welcoming thread for @Sartura ~
Tentative plan is for @Enna to accept, but others are welcome to hop in and make it official!
Sorry it took so long!
I’ll taste the night sky —
     AND FEEL ALIVE AGAIN
image credits
[Image: 5581b91112f69]
Colored by Kels ♡
Lines by Bronzehalo

Please Tag Me ○ Permission for magic and injury is granted. Just no death or permanent harm.

Sartura Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Though that damned wound smarted, albeit dully in heavy throbbing thumps like a hammer blow with each step, the cold --combined with her natural determination-- was invigorating enough that she managed to not hold them back too much; at least not to the point where she would be really embarrassed. Surrounded by a deafening white wall of snow, angled such that it was tossed about lazily, the doe's senses sharpened through that annoying cramp all too common among wounds healed with preternatural speed. The trade-off, as her new flesh shifted to accommodate like teenage growing pains, that she must endure.  

But she knew better than to push herself too hard, a reality that left her chagrined. Enna had left them, which made her feel a degree of longing, something she would normally abhor; Sartura's chill would fit in just fine with her new home, her ruby heart glittering and cold, and yet she took to the other one so much like her, still feeling the imparted warmth of her magic working to knit her shoulder back together. Although she could not be absolutely sure there was no ulterior motive behind the healing, despite the frank and genuine response to her gratitude, it seemed almost irrelevant now. She did not feel unsafe or mislead; much to the contrary, she was excited and accepted. She had lived in a loose family unit, nomadic and superstitious, but many months were spent alone after she had broken away to carve out her own story. It was a refreshing change to have a companion, and the realization allowed her to focus on Ki'irha, instead of brooding. The cognate doe may have went ahead, but still at her own side was the other crowned mare. The one that extended her the proverbial olive branch and offered to take her within their fold. The warrior, the tigress -- she may share a physical appearance with Enna, but her fighter's spirit recognized Ki'irha's. 

As great fields of pristine virgin snow begin to sprout tracks of emerald evergreens, Sartura's awe swells just as the stark grey mountains of the Basin's threshold rise around them. "Not in the least," she quips casually in response to Ki'irha's remark about the weather, soaking in the smorgasbord of cruel beauty that was this new land with a greedy, hungry gaze. It was breathtaking; even the sleeping giants of the smaller mountain ranges that flanked them as they traveled higher and further, as magnificent and ancient as they were, paled in magnitude and character to the fortress that protected the Aurora Basin. There were faint faces in the rock facade, malformed and warped, gargoyles that seemed to guard the portal in, staring balefully down at her. As if waiting to appeal a token riddle for her safe passage.

Despite the free-falling snow that laid a powdery blanket across every surface, it was alive; rich in color that popped, sunlight breaking on the lake's surface and glittering like a jeweler's prize, the faint call of black-tipped geese as they lounged at the shores. Shapes in the distant appeared to be other unicorns; her pleasure grew at such a sight. She did not feel anything particular about those that lacked the coronal blessing, no hatred or disgust, but she preferred her kind.

Turning back to the frosted blue unicorn, she offered a cultured smile. "I understand. I do not mind waiting. I appreciate the... extra security." Sartura takes a moment to mull over the discussion of ranks; she had a clear vision of herself down a path she knew she wanted to, no MUST, follow. Her calling, the thing that sang in her blood and drove her into each following day with purpose and clarity. "I would be honored to serve under you as one of your warriors, Corporal."

Pixel template base by BronzeHalo

<333333

@Enna
@Ki'irha

Enna Posts: 172
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.1 :: 5 ( TALLSUN ) HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Mehr :: Arctic Wolf :: None kels
something filled up my heart with nothing

“I apologize, I was…” your words fall short, unsure of whether the two women waiting on the outskirts of the valley would even hear you in the first place, your mind drifting back to the boy cretin that had found you lost in your reverie, your regret, your failure, absentmindedly scanning just some of the tools of your trade for something that may help. At first he had taken you by surprise, blue eyes, icy heart, the last thing that you had expected to see, the last thing that you remembered. That surprise had quickly given way to annoyance, annoyance to anger, the heat of which still courses feverishly through your blood, as he went on about suddenly coming to realize (too late, too late) just how blind he had been.

All through his revelation, all you had been able to think of was the hole in which you had carved in your heart where he had been, remembering only the morning you had taken him to his daughter’s tomb:I’m upset she couldn’t laugh for the first time, nor cry, love, lose, grow, do anything, but I don’t feel the attachment you do.’ Perhaps, if you had been born braver, crueler, the bastard would be short of a head for all the things that he has done. “Welcome to the Basin,” it is genuine, despite the touch of iciness that leaks in to the words, a small smile ghosting along your lips as you look to the ashen girl, trying, trying to summon the strength to forget, to push all of your turmoil aside so that she may feel welcome. As you grow nearer, your eyes glance at the shoulder of the relative stranger, examining it for the briefest of seconds before nodding slightly in approval.

“Your shoulder seems to have healed well.” The words bring a small swell of something like happiness to have helped her, and though it does little to quell the chaos that reigns inside, your face softens just the slightest bit, smile widening as you glance to Ki’irha. And yet, despite your best efforts, even as you come to a slow stop before the two mares, your teeth grind together, your body too tense, skin too tight, heart too hurt, to remember how to relax.

I AM THE MOST HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING EVER.
I AM SO SORRY FOR TAKING FOREVER, AND GIVING ONLY THIS CRAP.
._________________.

please tag enna in every post
violence permitted barring permanent injury / death

Tangere Posts: 159
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: Six Years | Birdsong HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Phrixus :: White Raven :: None Psilo

They move through the flurry of snow-dust as silently as the flakes themselves fall. Phrixus glides through the frosty sky like a wet seal in open seas and below the silver unicorn walks daintily through the packed snow-path. They're returning from another trip south to study the flora and fauna still happily growing there. She hopes to soon be able to transport her findings safely up to a brand new green house for growing, harvesting and further study. Without heat and shelter the southern plants would never survive this far north. Any vegetation not tundra-born perishes north of the ice bridge, she has discovered. That is stuff for another day though and the warmth of a fire in her cave and a nice soak in the hot springs is calling her cold bones on this snowy Orangemoon day.

The sentinels do not glint as the pair approaches Aurora Basin, for the sun is hidden from their bronze skin today. The fog of snowfall glazes the landscape and nothing beyond 20 feet or so is visible to her usually keen copper eyes. Off in the distance, muffled and not understandable, she can hear voices. Their murmurs make her ears perk and that in turn brings her feathered companion's attention out of his own thoughts and onto his unicorn. He hears the voices too and neither party has to acknowledge or suggest what happens next. As per usual the raven simply knows what she would want him to do – which is fly ahead and survey what it is she's hearing. She thanks him silently between themselves. It's a warm, cloaking feeling, tingling in the empty air between them. He departs with a playful swoop toward her face and disappears into the distance to conduct a proper investigation. His images come back pretty quickly and to Tangere's delight it is a group of Basinfolk with a newcomer.

Just stay there, I'm coming. The bird makes tight circles above their heads, within their view.

Tangere's shortish, fattish hobbit body is happy to break from it's sluggish walk over the shallow blanket of white and morph into a smooth canter. She leaves a wake of snow dust dancing in her wake, and hunks of earth and ice fling from her splayed feet as she runs toward the group.  “Hey guys.”As she gets closer and is sure they're able to identify her. “Ki'irha, Enna, hello ladies.” She nods and smiles even though she's almost positive Enna will have no smile for her in return. Tangere finds everything about her stunning except for her bitterness – which she seems to wear like war paint, showing it to everyone pretty equally...  Tangere's copper eyes notice a small detail; she looks at Ki with softer eyes than she's ever laid on the painted unicorn. The silver girl's smile bends to the stranger,  “I am Tangere,” Her grin is toothy, cheerful and almost childish, “I'm a Scourge, a healer, here in the  Basin.” She looks to the other to briefly and then to the woman with the hair that flows with vibrant colors, “What's your name? Phrixus joins them on his usual perch; Tang's scarred withers. He's much bigger than your typical raven, but still seems to fit quite pleasantly behind her shoulders to stare unto the group with beady blue eyes.

non omnis moriar

Image Credit<3

@Ki'irha @Enna @Sartura

• You may use violence and magic against her at will, but no death.
  • Please tag me so I don't forget anyone(: