Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
Fight the darkness,
It lives inside your heart,
It's not your fault my dear son,
It is simply your past.

It hadn’t been long since Mesec was last in these woods but the changing seasons had altered them so that they were unrecognizable from that last time. Warm browns and yellows had taken place of the deep greens in the trees and in the underbrush - much of the foliage already having fallen to the earth which in turn allowed more light into this otherwise dark forest. Though it was soft under his hooves, it hardly muffled the sounds of his movements as each shift in weight produced a racket of crunching leaves.

“And you wanted to be spy.” Lucius chuckled into Mesec’s mind, recalling the stories he had been told of Mesec’s stay in the Foothills when he was younger. There was nothing stealthy about his movements now, not that he needed much help being noticed. In the airy, Orangemoon forest with sun filtering down through the branches and leaves that remained he stood out - a splash of midnight sky in the warm backdrop. He ran little chance of sneaking up on anyone to gather intelligence on this patrol but he didn’t think it would have been likely either way. During his stay in the Throat, his patrols rarely even saw much company. He’d do what was asked and thoroughly investigate whatever land he had been assigned before leaving without anything to tell apart from the weather and what Lucius had managed to hunt while they were there.

Today, in the early morning hours, his companion had already fed and more content to weave through the trees ahead of Mesec - pre-scouting the area and keeping his eyes out for any movement bigger than a hare. Lucius’s growth had slowed and surely he would soon be completely grown. Already it was a test of his agility to get his four-winged body through the dense forest, but he made it look effortless. They were steadily making their way northward - enjoying the peace of the forest, broken only by Mesec’s hoof-falls.

Mesec
Image Credits
table by Frostie

patrol buddies @Ilios and @Morrigan (as well as anyone else) are welcome! :D
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
They lived here once, mother used to tell me. The Qian.. her family, her herd. The Deep Forest was once the only refuge they had, the only home they knew - why did they ever leave?

This place is not for living in, not for long times. It is too wild, untamed, dangerous...

So the Qian went to war instead, because that was a safer, tamer option?

Titanic trees cast decent shadows, even when their leafy canopy thinned with the turning of the seasons. Amaris enjoyed this season, much like she enjoyed all seasons - they simply were a part of living upon Helovia, a cosmic shift of the planet that was beyond her, and even the Gods', control.

Looking at her, one might think otherwise. She was a creature of creme and gold, with caramel locks and white dragons dancing across her face otherwise. The season was one of fiery hues, and so was the dragonmare, who walked through the roots and underbrush with practised grace and dexterity. Perhaps Orangemoon was her season - she hardly seemed to fit into any other as comfortably as this.

Why do return to the same ancient, barbaric tradition of forcing others from their homes? Why do we seek out war and bloodshed and death and misery?

Because as vast as this world is, it is not vast enough for all the lives that live here, all the great ideas and different walks of life that traverse these loams. Such things only know how to fear one another, and fear is a dangerous thing if left unchecked.

But it is unfounded fear, unfounded by ignorance and self-proclaimed brilliance. What if everything was made known, what if everyone sought to learn from one another rather than wipe each other out? Why do they seek to destroy that which they do not even know?

Amaris walked with a brown soul glowing above her - the dragon-spirit was barely visible against the burnt hues of the surrounding forest, but its mental link was as loud as ever. The dragon was wizened old male when it was alive, once bonded and pleased to share its thoughts with the dragonmare as it floated through the naked canopies above.

You know the ruby lake within these woods?

Aye, I know it well.

What would happen if a great downpour of rain occurred?

It would fill, and become deeper - what does this-

What would happen if such a downpour occurred that it burst its banks?

It was wash away entirely, and damage all that surrounded it.

You cannot fill a pond already full, dear golden child.

Even when it is full of tar or poison?

Especially then, little one. Especially then.

She walked with her brow furrowed in thought, as the conversation she was having was more mentally challenging than anything else - she did not see the phoenix in the trees above her, though her brown companion did. He hummed a low melody, but Amaris paid it little heed - suddenly she did notice something. The dragonmare paused her steps and stood tall, with ears pricked forward and tail lifted from the loam, ready to swing her whip into its full length if required. The crashing and banging created quite a din, it surely could only be caused by something large and unafraid to draw attention to itself..?

What she saw caused her a bit of relief, at first, for it was not some great beast lumbering through the woods (or was it?), but a winged and horned stallion, with a midnight complexion and something familiar about it.

The memories all came at once then, of a moonlight dance atop the trees of the World's Edge, her birthplace. Of friendly, nervous introductions, new friendships promised - Mesec, she recalled from all those years past. Mesec, she thought with a sad frown upon her brow. He had promised to stop his herd from attacking her home if she helped him, and together they found the midnight flower he was searching for - but he never stopped his herd, they attacked anyway, and so began the age of wars upon Helovia.

He was but a yearling and I barely a weanling, there was little and less that could have been done.. she wanted to forgive him, to forget, and so she tried to do just that, and instead look ahead, to a familiar face to keep her company as she walked through the Deep Forest.

"Mesec?" she called with tones that were neither entirely draconic nor equine. With a playful toss of her tiara she leapt into a sweeping trot towards him, laughing softly within her breast and she greeted him with warm tones and a playful nudge proffered to his own maw. "Do you remember me?" she asked, almost shyly, as she hesitated for a moment, and waited to see what kind of stallion the colt she once knew had become.
Amaris
drákos istoría
theartlex | larfsalot
on deviantart

@Mesec
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Fight the darkness,
It is simply your past.

What is it? Lucius asked, though refused to further elaborate, after he had spied the dragon-mare. Mesec had introduced him to a whole manner of strange creatures since he had hatched but he had never seen something like that before. He circled through the trees to get a better look, looping a couple times over the stranger before continuing on. She, it, whatever, was likely to spot Mesec the way he was trampling through the underbrush and then his bonded could explain to Lucius just what was going on. For now, though, the zephyr was uninterested in the introductions and boring parts so he continued on his way.

Mesec, catching the words, came to a stop and looked around the forest to find whoever it was that was approaching. Years had passed since he had last seen the filly who helped him find the moonlight flower in the Edge... since he had made the promise to her to never use the magic he sought against her or any of her herd - to help if it was ever in his power. He hadn’t had the power to stop the wave of war that went to her home, though that did little to lessen his guilt over the matter. It had remained long buried, hidden beneath the other guilts that had accumulated during Mesec’s short life, but now it was exposed in one easy stroke as he recognized the mare approaching him as Amaris. There was little doubt it his mind that it could be anyone else - the light that did reach through the forest canopy shining on her golden scales. She was grown, as he was - both of them having discarded the spindly legs and awkward bodies of their youth and grown up into something more. As beautiful, he realized, as he had found her on that night.

Thankfully, she did not greet him with accusations of a broken promise a long time ago - she greeted him with warmth and a smile which grew on his own face in response. He stepped forward and reached out to return the gesture she offered, his silver muzzle bumping against hers of cream, silver eyes dancing when he stepped back to respond to her question. “Of course. Of course I remember you Amaris. How could I forget?” She would be hard to forget, even if it took another four years for them to cross paths again. Her golden scales played well into the scenery around them, matching the warm hues of the changing foliage. While the moonlight of their first meeting may have suited him, it was the Orangemoon sunshine that suited her now.

“Have you been well?” More questions begged to be answered but he satisfied himself with this one to start. There was a lot of time to ask about, most of their lives so far, but he hoped the years had been good to her - if only in general. The smile did not fade as he looked back at her. He wasn’t sure if an apology would do much good now so it rested on his tongue, giving way to what he hoped would be happier discussions.

Mesec
Image Credits
table by Frostie

I wasn't sure if they could see the dragon spirit or if only she could so I was kinda vague on that D:
@Amaris

Morrigan Posts: 93
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 16 hands :: 7 Orangemoons HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Pongo :: Bongo :: None Xyroca
MORRIGAN & PONGO

"I'm scared that you'll compare and I'll look a lifetime past repair"

Following the protocol of the Dragon's Throat, I steadily made my way towards the Deep Forest to find my patrol group. To this day, I still wasn't sure exactly what our patrols were even for. Nothing interesting ever happened during them, at least not during the ones that I had contributed too. It's not like we were even patrolling our own herd land, so patrols for the sake of guarding our island were out of the question. Was it for information? Recruitment? Or just an attempt to get each of the members of the herds to step outside of their common duties and actually socialize with each other? That was a rather intriguing possibility that I had not considered until now. Many herds and ranks typically stuck to themselves. The healers conversed with the healers, the warriors sparred with warriors, the crafters well...You get the idea.

Following Pongo through the fall-painted leaves made me realize that it was one of the very things that made the Dragon's Throat one of the strongest of the herds. Our patrols, no matter how frivolous, were a common goal that was easy for each member to achieve with ease. It bonded us in a way that no one expected, even just by the simple chats we had wandering along our way. Lost in my own thoughts, I hadn't even been paying attention to where I was going. Mindlessly, I trailed after my beloved bongo as he caught wind of a familiar scent. "Mesec." His voice interrupted my thoughts and jerked me back into the task at hand, picking up my pace to catch up to the hybrid stallion that I had met not long ago. "And other."

It was only a few minutes later before we caught up to the pair, quietly turning around a corner like an awkward third wheel that had the worst timing. Just as my scarlet gaze landed on Mesec, he was bumping noses with a mare that was every bit his contrast. The feathered stallion of midnight versus the scaled golden girl of the sun. My auds flicked back momentarily, feeling as though I had intruded on a private moment between the two. "Oh, my apologies...I...I came for the patrol...I can leave? If you like?" My flustered, shy words barely made it out as I found myself glancing back and forth between the pair.

I was trying desperately to avoid staring at the golden girl, her impressive wings of leather and shining scales tugging at my curiosity. She was unlike any other creature I had seen before, not a horse, not a dragon...But...both? Quickly my gaze darted back towards Mesec before I stared for too long, hoping that he would help take away the awkward feeling that swarmed around me now.

"Speaking."

[Image: spiderglowingsoftly_by_schwartze-d82gn7s.gif]

Verbal/Physical Abuse permitted, no permanently injuring or killing please.

Amaris remembered the night they met, the dance through the Edge with the moonlight boy, the search for the ever-mysterious, ever-elusive moon flower. She remembered his moon-kissed hide, his ethereal glow, his kind smile and kinder words. She remembered his promise, his oath - she remembered the wars that followed that night. The dragongirl could not help but wonder if their meeting then had been some sort of cosmic (mis?)alignment, a fated gathering that heralded the doom that followed - were they just too young, too blind and naïve to see it?

If it was our meeting that began all that bloodshed, then perhaps this will herald the beginnings of peace.

He speaks again now, saying her name in tones far more matured than all those years ago. He touches her muzzle, golden scales to silver velvet, and she is transported back to that time, when she had a home amongst trees almost as tall as the ones they were in now. The constant thrum of waves breaking, crashing, smashing against the cliffside echoes in the confines of the dragongirl's mind, his familiar scent tugging on the nostalgia that resided deep within her breast. A longing she barely knew existed bloomed much like the midnight flower they searched for all those years ago, a yearning to return to those misty woods, to feel the cool yet comforting embrace of the night as it descended upon the lands, seemingly more completely than anywhere else upon Helovia. The World's Edge, she thought quietly, wondering why she was suddenly pulled back there - since the DragonHeart fell there for the last time, she had avoided the western reaches of the land through some unconscious desire to find herself elsewhere. And yet, she found a trigger here, leagues away from the misty borders, deep within the Forest to the south of Helovia - I will return there, if Tandavi would come with me, she decided, even as she recognised the red, sandy sheen that lingered to Mesec's limbs, deducing that he had joined the Throat. The sunlit desert lands were not the first herd Amaris would have thought Mesec to choose for his residence - but then she was hardly capable of prejudice or stereotypes (outside of her own draconic ones), and so she accepted this assumption with easy grace.

"Better every day," Amaris spoke with her smooth, warm tones, her draconic lilt adding an exotic edge to her voice as it always did. With her few words she spoke what truth she could muster - there was a hidden pain in them, a hurt she could not deny, a grievance that she did not deign to divulge further details about. But she was healing, the hollow, vacant abyss within her was slowly scabbing over, prone to peel away at the edges still and show the puckering, pink, bleeding wound beneath. It was not polite to unload such hefty weights upon a friend (?), an acquaintance, a soul she had only just happened upon after years of absence in between. What were they to each other?

Friends, crooned the brown who accompanied her, from his lofty amongst the golden and brown leaves and branches above. Silently, Amaris agreed with him.

They were interrupted then, by a mare who encompassed a spider's web across her hide in such a way that made Amaris think of Lace, and the pain of his passing without her knowledge swept over here again. He is in here, somewhere. In these woods, his body preserved by some earth creature's magic, Fajira showed me… It was an errant thought, disobedient in that it would not be restrained in its destruction through her. Amaris' smile faltered, flickered uncertainly, for only a moment, as surprise took its hold upon her and she hesitated in returning a greeting to the maiden who had arrived. Patrol? she thought vaguely, before her mind caught up to reality (or reality caught up to her mind) again, and she remembered her time amidst the Dragon's Throat, the patrols each herd member was required to do every season. It was a wise system, for it encouraged pride and solidarity of the herd to extend beyond the sandy clutches of the Throat itself, it gave opportunity for the members to learn more about each other and the world they lived in (however harsh those lessons ended up being).

"Stay," Amaris spoke with her gentle tones once more, her angel's hymn leaving through golden lips that were curved with a genuine smile once more. "I did not mean to steal you away from your duty, Mesec," she adds playfully, before introducing herself to the newcomer. "I am Amaris, a wanderer, though I had my stay within the Throat for a season or two not long ago. It would be nice to accompany you both for a time today, if you would have me."

@Mesec
@Morrigan
Yes her dragon spirits are visible to everyone, they just look like dragon-shaped balls of light energy. As the current one with her is brown and it is day time AND autumn, it probably isn't very visible, though it can still sing/trill like a dragon too, so they might hear it ;D
Amaris
drákos istoría
theartlex | larfsalot
on deviantart
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Fight the darkness,
It is simply your past.

Her answer to his question was short, three simple words. They had a weight to them, noticeable even with her warm voice, and the concern that darkened his silver eyes in response was involuntary and genuine. Mesec wanted to ask, to encourage her to speak more if she had any desire to - if she’d trust the near-stranger that was a foal she once knew. Maybe he would be a better friend now that they were older than he had when they were young. At least things were getting better - he hoped they would continue that way. There was little time for him to respond, even if he had wanted to ask further, because they were interrupted.

Mesec turned towards the movement and the voice - a smile forming when he recognized the dark mare and her deer-like companion. It was used to going on his patrols alone, never quite managing to meet up with his partners - except once, with Gaucho - and Mesec offered his own warm smile to Morrigan, as Amaris spoke - agreeing with her. It surprised him to learn that Amaris had lived in the Throat as well and he wondered if their stay there had overlapped at all - wondered if an earlier reunion might have been possible if only he had been so fortunate. He’d have to remember to ask her about it when he got the chance.

Just another thing about Amaris that he was curious about, the list was growing longer with each moment that passed.

The golden mare graciously welcomed Morrigan to stay and he was quick to agree. “I’d consider myself lucky to have both of you as company today. Please stay.” He looked to both of the mares, hoping to answer both of their questions on whether they would be welcome. He did feel lucky too - he went from being certain that he would wander these woods on his own, with only the chattering of Lucius to keep him company when the zephyr was so inclined, to having the company of two friends. Or two mares that he hoped to consider friends and perhaps travelling through the warm Orangemoon forest would help with that goal.

Looking to Amaris, he made the rest of the introductions. “This is Morrigan and Pongo.” He nodded with a smile to the webbed mare and her small companion as he spoke each of their names before focusing once more on the black mare. “How have you been, Morrigan? Enjoying the warmer weather in the Throat?” The last time they had spoken, the pair of them hadn’t been too happy about the chill that Frostfall had brought - the southern herdland not nearly as free from the chill as he had expected before he had moved there.

Mesec
Image Credits
table by Frostie

@Morrigan

Morrigan Posts: 93
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 16 hands :: 7 Orangemoons HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Pongo :: Bongo :: None Xyroca
MORRIGAN & PONGO

"I'm scared that you'll compare and I'll look a lifetime past repair"

To my surprise, the golden mare welcomed me first with a smile and a polite introduction. I couldn't help but mirror her smile, pleased to be met with a friendly personality so far. I dipped my muzzle respectfully towards Amaris as Mesec introduced us, smirking shortly after when Mesec asked about the weather. I had nearly forgotten about the time we nearly froze in the desert lands, back when the pegasus hadn't expected for the cold to reach the Dragon's Throat. "Indeed, but Frostfall will return before we know it..." I chuckled, stepping slightly closer to close in the gap and have a normal conversation without feeling like I had to raise my voice. My scarlet gaze shifted towards the dragon-esque mare, my auds perking up against my silver crown while she spoke. "If I may ask, why did you leave the Throat?"

Pongo enjoyed the positive tones, stepping forward on tiny hooves to try and sniff the mare with his wet nose. He stopped short though, freezing in place while his large ears flicked back and forth nervously. Doe-like eyes looked up, searching for the source of a trill that I thought was only a part of my imagination. Sure enough, Pongo saw...something. His gaze followed something around Amaris, his head tilting to the side with confusion. "What is that?" I asked softly, squinting slightly to try and see what it was that my dear companion was watching. 'Thing.' It was Pongo's way of answering my question, and had it not been for the company around us, I would have rolled my eyes at his smart ass response.

"Speaking."

@Mesec and @Amaris - Hopefully her posts will get better!
[Image: spiderglowingsoftly_by_schwartze-d82gn7s.gif]

Verbal/Physical Abuse permitted, no permanently injuring or killing please.

Amaris was pleased when her request to join them was accepted, it made her feel some semblance of belonging again, of fitting, of working together with others in a useful, helpful manner. It hadn't been too long in the grand scheme of things, since she had been a part of the herd, even held a significant rank within it, yet it still felt too long for Amaris. Though she wouldn't rejoin the Throat, unless her cousin had a change of mind and heart, she held no ill wills against them, and in fact hoped they prospered and grew as they were wont to do over the years. Always the Throat had been an ally of Amaris, whether through the political ties of the herd she belonged at the time (when she was part of the Edge), or as its member, directly assisting them in becoming greater, stronger, magnificent. So to be warmly accepted into a duty that was typically reserved to Throat citizens was, simply put: wonderful.

"Pleasure to meet you, Morrigan, Pongo," Amaris greeted the mare and (unique) companion with a polite dip her crown, her words sincere and warm. With ease she smiled along with the comment about the weather, not sure of its reference but not minding either - Amaris was just happy to be included along. Morrigan's question, however, caused Amaris' smile to fade ever so slightly, as sadness swallowed her expression for a mere moment, before the curve of her lips returned - but this time it was tainted, dampened by the grief that had so recently struck her soul.

"I heard word that the World's Edge was seeking new leadership after the herd there took the Falls," she began, softly, yet her voice did not waver - the story simply wasn't one you spoke of with bright tones and energy behind it. "I was born in the Edge - my mother was the DragonHeart, but that was before the Wraiths came. She went to fight them and.." It was difficult to keep her thoughts on track. She wanted to explain but didn't know how - she wasn't sure what words to use, what story to tell to these nearly perfect strangers. "I went to test my mettle in the discussions for the position of Queen, but halfway through, I realised it was not for me," not now, not ever, "and I was ashamed of myself, though I know there really isn't shame in what I did, truly.. I left to try and find myself again, to learn and grow and figure out what I wanted in life, who do I want to serve and how can I serve them."

The conversation had taken a deep turn, and Amaris wanted her part of it to end, but she wasn't finished. Softer still, her voice lower, deeper, conveying the sadness that plagued her at last, she spoke her last words. "I found my mother again, for the Moon Goddess had revived her.. Only to let her succumb to her own old age at last. I.. I got to say goodbye to her," her golden eyes glazed with tears, though not a saline drop fell. Her tiara drooped slightly, as if her neck had suddenly lost the strength to keep it aloft.

A comforting thought came to her from the brown who danced amongst the treetops, a swell of emotions and a song both beautiful and ancient in its tune. Amaris let it fill her heart and body and mind, she let it wrap around her soul, which felt as fragile as an autumn leaf precariously holding onto its flimsy branch in Orangemoon. Morrigan's next question came as no surprise then, as the brown spirit dipped below the canopy to come and linger closer to the soul who had summoned him here - to Amaris, the dragonmare, the soul-singer, the soul-bringer. "His name is Keith, and he is a spirit, a memory, of a brown dragon who once flew through these trees with his bonded, countless moons ago. My magic allows him to return here and form a bond much like what you hold with Pongo, albeit temporarily." She spoke smoothly, more confidently again, with the topic of the conversation venturing towards something far less painful - dragons and magic.

@Mesec
@Morrigan
Amaris
drákos istoría
theartlex | larfsalot
on deviantart
I like being tagged!

Fight the darkness,
It is simply your past.

A small chuckle came from the demigod as Morrigan jested about how Frostfall would be back all too soon. “Yes, it feels as though the years are passing faster and faster and Frostfalls are closer together with each one.” It was hard to believe he had already been settled in the Throat for a year, harder to believe how long it had been since he had last seen Amaris before this. It felt both like it had happened to someone else, so distant and remote, and that it had happened just yesterday. Was he not still that awkward colt? He longed for the surety that he had felt about his mother back then, secure enough in his status as a demigod to introduce himself as such to strangers in the Edge. Certainly not since the murders. The fight in the Green Labyrinth had been enough to ensure that there was plenty of ill-will aimed toward his mother.

He was drawn back to the present by Morrigan’s questions for Amaris. Although he had been curious as well about what had taken Amaris from the Throat he probably wouldn’t have been bold enough to ask. Silver eyes move between the two mares in his company, focusing on the dragon-mare as she shared her story. It came slowly and he barely even wanted to breath lest it distract her - the words didn’t seem easy to come by. She didn’t give them a short, simple version as he might have expected but instead explained what had happened in relative detail. A small glimpse into the life that she had led, though the end of the story wasn’t nearly as happy as he could have hoped. The faint smile on his lips disappeared, clouded with sadness that the losses he knew had been known by his friends as well.

It was instinct that drove him closer to Amaris again if she would let him, to offer a comforting touch as he looked at her with concern. Better every day she had said and it was no wonder. “I’m so sorry, Amaris.” The words fall quietly, believing they would be of little help but meaning them all the same. Mesec hoped that Mirage had gone as peacefully as she could have given the circumstances, hoped that the Goddess had at least been kind enough to give her that.

He stepped back again when the brown dragon swooped down to linger near Amaris, watching the amazing spirit move with perfect harmony of the Orangemoon surroundings. “He’s beautiful.” Mesec complimented both the mare and dragon, not entirely sure Keith could hear him but happy to offer at least something on this new subject.  “It’s a wonderful magic, to be able to do that for a soul.”

Mesec
Image Credits
table by Frostie

I'M SO SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG
if you guys aren't interested in continuing it I totally understand <3

@Morrigan