the Rift

[OPEN] tracks in the snow

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather

Home was a beautiful word sprinkled with blissful connotations. Home was a sanctuary, a sanctum, a secure, safe world prospering beneath the sun, the moon, and the stars. Home was a haven built on stone pillars and marble columns, stretching past the horizon, glowing within a resplendent heart. Home was a palace floating on air, on wings, on taffeta, on canvas, painted and anointed with strokes of bright, brilliant hues, splashed against the backdrop of rapture, of reveries, protected and guarded by its inhabitants.

So she never understood why so many left.

Maybe their souls were torn in two, begging for absolution but incapable of finding it within the chilly, winter realm. Maybe they were tied and tethered to other strings, other pearls, other wishes and affairs, swept away by the course of time and seasons, forgetting and forgoing the taste, the sounds, the essence of snow and rime. Maybe they hadn’t found what they were looking for, grasped and tried and deluded their minds into clouds of smoke and ash, and finally couldn’t take it any longer, fleeing, escaping from the deluge and torment. Maybe it wasn’t for them, and they found no will to survive amongst the tundra and the glaciers, couldn’t push their determination beyond the mountain range, beyond the power, the glory…

Her theories melded and molded together for the benefit of afterthought, of reflection along their journey from threshold to the Aurora Basin, because she didn’t pry, she didn’t ask, she couldn’t form the question so carefully balanced across her tongue. Perhaps bringing it to reality, to tangibility, meant she’d have to face the notions of being left behind again, of gilded faces disappearing, of mysteries unraveling and puzzles withering – but Frost Fyre was not Roland, and she wasn’t going to force her being, her core, into the painful, bitter nuances plaguing her mind. Imogen glanced her way, and the Songbird didn’t do anything but stoically face the world ahead, gazing at the Sentinels and the crisp leaves falling around them. Too strong to break, too weak to reveal, plunging on as she always did, the same, sad pattern as before.

The nymph turned to the newly returned Scholar as if she were the sun, a remnant once lost, now forged back on the steps of her homeland, revering those who’d come to claim what they’d misplaced. Her head gestured towards the bounty, the lore, the manifestation of ivory, of beauty, of wonder, well beyond their frames, the playful lights blinking in borealis renewal, placing lavender and emerald beacons across the sky in a heavenly welcome home. The warmth of her smile radiated past her lips, out into the grandeur, the opulence, the blessing of the twilight expanse, the evening radiance, the tender nuances of an ice child’s reappearance. “Not much has changed since you left, I’d imagine,” and she winked, eyes sliding from the spotted mare down to the valleys below, freshly coated in white. “But I’m sure its glad to you have home.”

[Come welcome Frost Fyre home! ^_^]

Lena</style>
where there is love, there is life.</style>

image by safetylast @ flickr.com

@Frost Fyre

Frost Fyre Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Altair :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast prissy

FROST FYRE
But with what we have, I promise you that. We're marching on.

The maiden had little to say during their journey back to the snow covered mountains. She found herself at a loss, her tongue unable to coherently form her feelings into words. She felt guilt tug at her heart as they walked. She had so easily abandoned the Basin, but Lena still took her back with open arms. It was conflicting. She knew not how to handle it. But she knew she was tired, and she knew she wanted nothing more than to be enveloped in the snow again.

She paused when she saw the sentinels, tilted her crowned head to view them better. She admired their resilience, staying when she did not. Her bonded, who had traveled close to her side, snorted at the sentinels, sending waves of distrust to her mind. She smiled, remembering how little he had seen of the sentinels and brushed her leonine tail over his shoulder. She followed lackadaisically after Lena, cloven hooves taking tender steps in their natural habitat.

The maiden returned Lena's smiles, though her own were more tired, more strained. She tore her gaze away from the bay, peering at her surroundings. It was true, little had changed, but she was no less overwhelmed by the land once more. It's frightening, threatening beauty was comforting. She would never leave it again, if she could help it.

"I've never been happier to be freezing," She replied, her smile a bit less strained and a playful glimmer in her emerald eyes. Altair grunted in agreement, sensing his bonded's relief and finding comfort in it. He had little experience with her feeling such an emotion, but he was pleased to.

Dawn is coming
open your eyes

Johnny Posts: 161
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13 hh :: 10 years
Jellybean :: Common Griffin :: Molten Dagger Sarah
If you think there’s even a small chance that when I see someone I don’t go over and say hello, even if we had just been having a conversation that ended 30 minutes ago, you are very, very wrong. I try to ensure that my day is filled up with as little silence as possible, even if that just involves me lying in the snow and humming to myself in one of the clearings of the Basin. Now that Orangemoon has come around again, there’s snow and it’s delightfully chilly so I don’t have to worry about melting in the sunshine!

I spotted them standing near the entrance while I was sprawled out on the ground, my peppermint hair sprayed luxuriously around me. There wasn’t quite enough snow for me to fall into it from standing but that day was coming soon.

As soon as I spot them, I abandon my sing-song and scramble to my feet. It’s not a very graceful movement, but I think they’re far enough away that it doesn’t matter. But, as I was saying a couple paragraphs ago, of course when I spot Lena and a spotted filly that could be her sister (they were both a delightful shade of chocolate, after all) I go over to say hello! There was absolutely no alternative for me. I’m pretty fabulous company but sometimes it’s just nice to talk to someone else for a while.

I trot through the snow towards them, slowing as I near and - if you couldn’t guess it - I’m grinning from ear to ear. “Lena my sweet! How are you?” I walk forward with that bouncy little step of mine, intending to reach up and touch her cheek in greeting, before looking over to the other mare with a bright smile. “And who is this?!”
come with me, honey
I'm your sweet sugar candyman
image credits

@Lena
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather

The fairy laughed at Frost Fyre’s response, gazing up at the bright, vivid world and trying to remember the sense of ebullience floating over her now. Not everyone disappeared. Not everyone lingered in the void. Sometimes they came back, returned to the branches laden with snow, to the rising mountains and the frozen hills, to the wicked, wild tundra captivating and beckoning them back, again and again. She wanted to ask the mare why she left, what made her reappear, what snatched and beguiled and allured her back into the threshold of dancing, lingering lights and cold, majestic beauty – what caused her to stray, then waltz again. If she could do it, couldn’t others concoct the same?

Why didn’t they all want to stay in the first place?

She listened to the wind curl around the edges of caverns and stones. She watched her breath curl in warm, tender, lingering puffs, then dissipate. She simply existed, in between time and space, in between angelic figures and spotted whims, in between honeyed assurances of recurrences and sparkling wishes, like she could chime and echo them back into life.

I’ve never been happier to be freezing the girl had spoken, and Lena realized, snapped, rushed away from all those merciless, harsh, unrelenting blows to her sentiments, to her emotions. Shouldn’t she have been content too, to exist in this wide, open, barbaric plain, with monsters and sinners and dreamers and heartfelt soldiers, who clung to life with determined, resolute ministrations, who started the day fortifying their aspirations and ambitions? Shouldn’t she have been grateful to merely be in this magnificent, exotic world?

Before she could muster something, anything to respond to Frost Fyre’s beautiful sentiment, another appeared – another bright, undaunted speck glimmering and glittering on the horizon. He was like candy, sweet and pleasant, honeyed and layered with so many silly, wondrous things that Lena couldn’t resist the temptation to widen her grin, to embody and envelop everything the realm had to offer her. Why should she have been lamenting her losses when there was so much more to discover, so much more to do? “Johnny,” she laughed, a whimsical sound, like belles, like mellifluous strings, “I’m fine. And yourself?” She responded in kind, amiable and affable, reaching past the empty husks of her shell and proffering, bestowing, those pleasantries, those defining characteristics she’d always managed to muster despite any agonizing sentiment gliding her way. The sylph erased those withering, writhing sentiments now. They were of no use in this grand sphere, in this reverent glade. She said nothing more, stepping back to allow the sienna and ivory mare bestow her own introductions, gaze sauntering from beast to beast, from creature to creature, ignited and incensed and grace all over again – hushed in the cold, but exuberant, wild, and untamed in her heart.

Lena</style>
where there is love, there is life.</style>

image by safetylast @ flickr.com

@Frost Fyre