the Rift

[PRIVATE] Photosynthesis [Quest return, Earth God]

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz
The truth runs wild
Like a tear down a cheek
There were little things, smaller things and things that barely existed; or not exist at all. The mists were something she truly did not know how to classify, where it belonged. She saw it, felt it. Played with it; was comforted by it. Yet she could not grasp that small essential bit of knowledge. Then the question was; was it truly essential? She watched from the corners of her eyes how they swirled, danced, reminded her of the fires. But there the questions stopped, simply because she just did not know the answers.

Yet, somehow for the world it was important to know whether something was big or small — as if that defined importance, so she just continued on pondering and pondering.

And she did so even after her hooves had completed carrying her up the cliff-side, as her glassy golden eyes looked at the shrines that stood before her. Bare and brittle in their timeless divinity.  

The diviners gaze found the Sun God's shrine. She prayed before it, silently and quietly; she wasn't a big existence, after all. Her presence was most valued in its perfect compact-ness, or that she had decided herself. She did not have to pretend to be bigger than she was; not in front of her Lord of the Sun — Or, well: Not in front of any God, truly, because today for a change, she would also be finding herself glancing towards the shrine of the Earth God. Which (just a reminder) was nothing wrong with, even though, as a seer of the Sun, she had felt obligated to tell the Sun beforehand in her prayers what she was about to do, just in case she would need his forgiveness.

She scraped her throat, finding her own awareness in the fact that she had never called upon a God like this before. Her voice carried through the heavy air as she stood in front of the blue-dripping volcano. “God of the Earth, I believe I have completed the quest you gave me a year ago, when I met you in the Thistle Meadows.”

| QUEST: "Find others who are able to effect three of your senses- either smell, touch, hearing or taste.
Then you will experience what you will be capable of doing to others, for three days your vision will be obscured."
Smell
Touch
Hearing

Being blind
Day 1, Day 2, Day 3

@Mythical Request

Hope it's all good now!
Please tag me 

Brit Posts: 11
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 15hh :: 19
Brit
Unarchived per request

God of the Earth Posts: 287
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: 22.0hh :: Ageless
Admin

God of the Earth
Buried in Water and Earth

He knows, as he knows all the children that toddle unsteadily beneath his gentle guiding hand, that Maren’s journey is coming to a close. Though he does not keep a keen eye upon her progress he knows instinctively when she arrives in the blue-veined edges of the earth, her heart calling wordlessly to him. Her method of prayer and faith is abnormal when viewed against the majority of Helovian faith, but she will find no issue in him regarding her loyalty or favoritism. The Lord suspects she will figure out on her own that his brother is much the same.

When she calls physically across the plane she exists on the God lets his particles fall to nothing only to rearrange before her, lifting from the sea foam and the skimming tips of the waves that crash against the darkened rock where the shrines steadily fall into ruin. He takes form before her, dark skin wet and muddied in appearance as large hooves place themselves upon the charred earth, stepping out of the rising wave rippling in place behind him. The water collapses back to the sea, and the God of the Earth turns kind eyes to the striped mare before him.

She had asked for the ability to blind and obscure with her creations, and he wondered what she had learned. There were a thousand sides to every piece of magic, as many shades of grey as existed in mortal morality. What had she sought when she came to him in the meadow, a quiet desire in her heart? To blind for sake of battle? To enamor with the shapes of her creations? To let eyes shut peacefully, and obscure a gruesome image? “And so you have returned,” he noted kindly, giant wings settling peacefully at his gleaming, dampened sides. Massive cranium tilted inquisitively as he peered down upon the mortal, for while he could easily delve into her mind for proof and concrete assurance of what exactly she had thought of her quest, he wanted to hear her words freely. “Tell me, Maren. What have you learned?”

The truth runs wild
Like a tear down a cheek

The obsidian rocks gleamed through the veins of blue, smoldering lava, dripping down the volcano in slow moaning. Maren watched the flow, mentally preparing herself to wait. She listened to the sea, the wind the mountain in the far, listened to the ashes fall to the ground; but she did not have to wait long at all, for from nowhere — from everywhere, but mostly from the cliff-side, he emerged. The sea and earth both cringed into something; a form. He had found Himself a body, something physical and mortal-looking, yet there was something so obviously godly staring her right in the eyes. Yet could not put her hoof on what it exactly made him seem so ethereal. She was, however, sure he had to be the only god who could pull off the blanket of mud in such an enchanting way.  

"God of the Earth — Goodday", she hastily noted. She dipped her head, turned her golden, dazzled eyes to the ground and bowed in appreciation for his arrival. His earthly aura pressed on her simplistic mortality, while at the same time the fresh aroma of a mixture between wet earth, blossoms with a hint of rain-forest lingered around them. “And so you have returned,” He spoke in kind words. Maren looked up again and smiled as she saw him rest his enormous wings at his enormous sides. As his enormous head drew closer it didn’t feel like he was encasing her lithe frame underneath his shadow, was more like he was simply sheltering it. When he asked what she had learned, she felt hesitant at first, remembering the easier tasks of feeling, hearing and smelling and comparing them to the days that she had been blind. Those which had come close to being the hardest days of her life.

Her gaze trailed off as she pondered on the words to describe what she had been taught, her eyes drifting farther along with the wakes that was her sea of thoughts. She had not realized with every one of the senses that she had been indeed sensing them, yet she was reminded of them now — and she surely would for time to come. For instance, she had felt the blood of a False God trail her skin with its biting kiss. She had listened to the desperate howling of another False God’s ripping words and, in her darkest hour, forged by sickness she had smelled the fumes of chaos.  

But then, the first day that she had been blind, she had immediately found herself upon someone from the Rift. As if it was meant to be, for, coincidentally, that  had so perfectly portrayed the desperation, the helplessness she had already felt towards them before; an omen for the world that only she was aware of; only she could see. Before, it had been the rest of the world that had been blinded. Yet, this time, she too — and never would she know what the girl looked like that she had cursed to live someplace she wasn't meant to be.  

The second day she had met Erthë, the poor girl who had been a victim of the Gods’ battles. Even though Maren had attempted to reject the connection she had felt with the daughter of Shadow at first, there had been one nonetheless. And it was more than just agony she’d felt when she couldn’t even see what had happened to her, what they had done — even through her desperation, Maren couldn’t even confirm for herself that she was really alright… and, in the entire dictionary of feelings that she could’ve felt, that must have been the absolute worst one.  

Then, the third and final day, she had met with a company and had discussed her favorite subject: tea, something she loved so dearly and enjoyed speaking about very much... However, she had not been able to put Erthë completely of her mind. Had not been able to put her aching heart at rest and, instead, had only longed for herself to be back in her mountain home. Such nostalgic feelings only boiled up to the surface on days that she felt the most sad of all... and that day she’d decided how she had had enough.   

“I must say, hearing, smell and touch were not hard to understand once they were stimulated. Although in my case they all came from a place of agony, whether that was merely coincidental or not, were harmful, yet, when it was over it did not eat at me, the pain made me feel more powerful in the end,” she attempted to mark her analysis in words. “Like I could handle them, would they ever come again.”

“Those days of being blind” She swallowed. Her tone had changed from nonchalant to one framed by uncertainty. As if next to those words the actual feelings of a time past remained and floated along in the same rhythm, yet unseen. But it was as if she felt them drifting there.  “Those were different. I had grown more aware of how my other senses worked. With that knowledge and some handy wing-work I managed to get around just fine… in a way. But it was hard,” she swallowed again, trying to find words what was so hard then? Trying to find the answer at the same time; A shameful answer, probably, and she didn’t want to give in to the truth, but she saw that there was no choice if she truly wished for herself to understand. To learn. “It was hard being cut off from the world by sight. I didn’t realize that at first, it felt so insignificant in the beginning; not being able to see, for I could still sense all this other stuff. But hearing the world around you move as you are in this static bubble where you can feel everything else move, you know it, yet at the same time you are unable to know, to be truly aware, because you can’t confirm anything.” Or at least that was how it felt for her. Stagnant. Always stagnant. Things didn’t matter anymore in those days. It was being blinded by a disability to do basic things. “The only thing you see is how fragile you are, how every tree I touched was just another part of an endless labyrinth.” She attempted to describe. “Meeting with those I felt connected to but wasn’t able to see truly ate at me. And, now that it is over, I don’t feel more powerful at all. A frown crowned her eyes as they had wandered around the cliff-side, now resting at the God of the Eart. Her exotic voice that had drawn a slight more emotional side of her, now slowly easing once more. “If anything... “ she continued, slowly. “I feel more fragile than ever.” Birds started to chirp behind her, ashes still fell. “... and knowing that I could make someone else feel like that — I am thankful that you’ve shown me.”  

".."

@Mythical request
Please tag me 

God of the Earth Posts: 287
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: 22.0hh :: Ageless
Admin

God of the Earth
Buried in Water and Earth

The God waited patiently for the striped child to pick free her thoughts from the rubble of her emotional experience. He had - quite literally - all the time in the world. The experiences he had placed upon her shoulders were not easy to traverse, but they had been a necessary difficulty when it came to her personal growth. He could not gift her with the magic she sought until he knew she understood the nuances of the power she would be wielding. 

That her experiences had been tied with pain was not something he had intended, but fate had a funny way of underscoring the quests he often sent his disciples on. Whatever hand she had played in Maren's journey, he hoped that it had emphasized the qualities he'd wanted her to learn instead of leading her dangerously astray as some of his flock had been. 

When at last she spoke, it was in a torrent of lilting words and stumbling, emotional confessions. Many had experienced quite the same reaction at his shrine before her, but it had almost always been beneficial to them in the end. And so he waited out her report, the answers she delivered and the adventure she began to outline through use of her words. He could easily peer into her mind to retrieve them himself, but what was important was how she perceived the events that had occurred. Had she learned the lesson he'd sought to teach her? 

"You still have much to learn," he noted kindly, voice like shifting, rumbling earth but with a paternal softness that he hoped would put her at ease. Clearly the experience had a profound effect on her. "Blindness does bring a fragility to the life you lead. But overcoming it also takes quite a large amount of courage, and bravery. Those who were blinded in life and found it to be permanent? Those who were born as such, and will never perceive the world in the way you do? They lived with the effects far longer than you did on your quest. If you had, perhaps that strength you feel you missed out on would have come in time." He placed the scenarios before her gently, trying to expand her worldview, show her that blindness did not always mean fragility. That it did not mean you were broken, or incomplete in some way. 

"The power you seek is a double-edged sword, Maren. There are many things a soul would wish to not see, and you can provide that. Just as a mother would hope to shield their child's eyes from the evil of the world, so too can you preserve innocence and calm the frightened." Whether that was what she sought the magic for or not was another, far more convoluted question. One that was dependent upon Maren's personality and beliefs, and one that she would have to answer on her own in time. 

"But you also wield a power that - as the blindness made you feel breakable - can cause others to feel the same way. You must never forget what you are capable of, and always remember how this experience made you feel, for you are forcing someone else into that exact scenario." But she had done as he had bid her, and quite successfully. Her emotional turmoil may seem to be a burden to her as she stood nervously before him, but that discordance in her soul would keep her firmly on the path of control and consideration once the magic was in her possession. 

The skies roiled above them, brilliantly colored clouds appearing in the dawn light, and a gentle shower of glowing white rain descended upon the striped child. It imbued itself into her skin, the magic working its way into her veins to lay dormant until she called upon it for the first time. "May it serve you well," the God noted kindly as the last raindrop fell, the clouds departing as if they had never been. 

Maren has received her magic!

The truth runs wild
Like a tear down a cheek

As her own words faded the God spoke in responds. As he explained how the three days had been very little compared those with a lifetime of blindness, she started to see what it truly meant to never see, at all. It was not about being fragile, it was about finding the courage to not give up. Suddenly his earthy voice got accompanied by visions of understanding. Perhaps she should have been more thorough when she had been blind. When her world had turned dark, she had seen only weakness, had maybe expected to not find anything besides that. Perhaps if she had dug deeper through her layers of fear, searched more thoroughly, she would've found bravery as well.  

As the visions faded He gave her his last advice. She listened carefully. Truthfully, she didn't see herself taking either side. Could not imagine herself using her power for either good nor evil. However, the world was not divided by those two alone. If there was a purpose for her power, it would make itself clear when it would. The tiger mare could only wait and see when the time was ripe to find out where her path would take her.

"I promise I will continue to learn about my magic," she whispered, eyes underlined with the salty droplets of perhaps tears. But she smiled, happily. Thankful.

Her suffering had been and now all that was left was the illusion that it still was  - But it wasn't, the tiger mare realized. And like that she accepted it as she bowed her head one last time in respect for the God that had shown her, when it suddenly began to rain. She looked up to see that his canopy of contained brilliance had been washed away by gleaming droplets of silver rain. Her golden eyes lay still on the vivid sky as the lit up water found her face in a gentle embrace. Although she did not see, the rain did not leave the watery mark on her hide it usually would. Instead, they simply disappeared somewhere.

She felt a new kind of ache flowing in her veins, one feeling similar to her friend the mists. Something that she would compare to the sensation of the silver rain thumping on her skin like little heartbeats. And that was almost how it felt now. As if the mists had grown more real. As if they had grown a heart. The silvery ache made her take a deep breath and pulled up her wings, created a blanket of fog all around her. This time, like no time before, she pulled a shape from the mist and filled it with the light of the silver rain. As Maren stood in the low hanging cloud she had created, the cliff side and her surroundings  turned invisible, she watched the bulb of light inside the foggy shape grow two extensions to walk on. Then, there was another one, the same kind of light beaming out of its foggy figure. They danced in slow movement before her, along with the curling mists.

She had turned her hardships into experiences and her experiences into lesson. Lessons that would provide the fuel for what she had sought all that time ago in the meadows.
She realized it, and she accepted it.

"Thank you," she whispered into the moist air while the fog evaporated around her once again.

".."

Thank you  <3
Please tag me