the Rift

[PRIVATE] without a map

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Alysanne couldn’t patrol the borders of the Edge forever, waiting for Naerys to slip on through on her way to visit the friends she had collected. She didn’t trust Naerys, didn’t trust her taste in who she decided to surround herself with, but maybe her lack in faith in her daughter was part of the problem...

No, Naerys returned home hurt one too many times for Alysanne to think it was safe for the girl to be wandering off on her own. Still, logistically and for the sake of their relationship there was only so much a mother could do to stop her daughter from tumbling down paths she didn’t approve. In the early morning hours of a crisp Orangemoon day, with the sun on her face, Alysanne had forced herself to leave the Edge. If she was elsewhere, it might be easier for her to think of other things, to focus on something - anything - else. For the first part of her journey it was definitely not easy. Worries plagued her with every step and they didn’t let up for a long time. It was days later when she started to relax, but then - maybe - it had less to do with getting over her worries and more to do with the fact that she had no idea where she was going.

Or where she was, for that matter.

Had she wandered right out of Helovia? It wouldn’t surprise her in the least and, as she lingered on the edge of what seemed to be a very dark and very uninviting forest, she wished she had asked Iona to come with her. In the short time that her sister had spent in Helovia she likely knew the lands better than Alysanne… or at least better understood how they were laid out. Hemlock pecked at her ear with affection before taking off from his perch on her head and flying into the forest to scout it out. There could be some helpful herbs in there, if it was safe. She can’t remember ever having been here before though.

For her part, the pegasus stood with her wings folded tight against her side and watched the small brown form of her companion disappear into the gloom.

happy is the heart that still feels pain
darkness drains and light will come again
image credits

@Kaj
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Brit Posts: 11
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 15hh :: 19
Brit
Pulled upon request

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

These lands had not seen the face or hide of the Czar within them, and Kaj despised that fact. That Other Kaj had not deemed it fit or necessary to attend every battle of the gods was beyond him, though he did recall the sickness and decay that had plagued him, the broken leg and torn, battered wing. Even now he guarded it, a fierce and enviable predator. His flight was the one thing he would never allow to be torn from him. His title, his pride, his friends and family...he would survive it all, but never could he be grounded, made flightless and pitiable. Vulnerable he would never be, regardless of whether the sky was attainable, and he believed in his own power. But he had been born into one of the harshest landscapes imaginable, where flight was an honor and an asset to the herd. He had been blessed, capable of escaping hellish fates in those lands that the other souls awaited, stuck helplessly upon the ground. 

That Other Kaj had not deigned to visit these lands and scope them out for dangers, treasures, and resources nagged at him. Those memories lay untampered, but he could not understand. Where had the militant mindset gone? Even softened as Kaj was with the joys of Helovia, he could not comprehend how Other Kaj had grown so horribly lax in his methods. 

So there he was, scouring the earth, eyes sharp and mindful of every inconsistency. 

And, as his luck would have it, he came upon one. 

Kaj did not land immediately, too disengaged when it came to attempting to make friends or any other notion like that. Any other time perhaps he would, but this was a patrol of sorts, and he was reluctant to be distracted from something Other Kaj had also failed in. Except...squinting he stared down at the spotted form, disgruntled. He recalled her, in some way. Miykael had explained that he would always remember individuals like Kahlua, because he'd only eradicated certain memories, and she had been too prevalent in his life to fully forget. So he knew her face, even could potentially guess at her name - did it start with an A? - and he even remembered that she'd been part of his herd. But he did not know her, and did not know why he'd wiped his mind of her. 

Perhaps it was best not to know, he pointed out to himself. After all, look at what had happened with Brisa. But his curiosity was undeniable, he did not have the hesitation and dread that had kept Other Kaj from these individuals for so long. And so in a fit of exasperation, a desire for knowledge as well as to get whatever confrontation would happen over with, he dove down beneath the bloodied canopies and landed abruptly a few paces before her. 

"You seem familiar, and I have clearly chosen to forget you for some reason. Who are you," sprang out of his mouth, demanding and almost impatient as his eyes bore down upon her, brow crinkled as he tried to find the answer within her face somehow. 

KAJ
the road i walk is paved in gold to glorify my platinum soul
image credits
table by whit

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

With a quiet yelp, Alysanne stepped back from the figure landing right in front of her - snapping her out of her trance. Helovia often found ways to surprise her but it wasn’t often by someone approaching so suddenly and so closely. She was only just recovering, just recognizing him, when he started to speak. She was too bewildered for those few moments to do anything but stare at him open-mouthed. Although her conversation with Resplendence and Archibald had somewhat lessened the bitterness Alysanne felt towards the entire invasion occurrence, it did nothing to sooth the hurt that she felt when she recognized the stallion that landed before her as Kaj. Whatever greeting she might have given him was forgotten in a flash as he greeted her in the most bewildering fashion.

It was barely a greeting at all, even. The golden stallion had simply dropped out of the sky in front of her and informed her that she had been erased from his memories. “You erased me?” She tried to make the words calm, tried to keep herself together, but even as she said the word she broke. This had the stink of Miykael’s magic all over it. Her green eyes flashed with hatred and she stepped toward Kaj with the intent of getting right into his face. She wasn’t the same mare he had chosen to forget, that was for sure. There may be more than a hand of difference in their height but that mattered little to her, she wanted nothing more than to whack him in the head with one or both of her wings. As it was, they rested at her sides - though unfurled slightly as though she were trying to make herself seem bigger.

Anger was such a new emotion for her that she had not learned yet to control it so whenever it came to her it was a tidal wave of fire, destroying herself and everyone in its wake. “Clearly I wasn’t important enough to keep around, Czar so why should I answer to your whim now?” But she found it hard to believe that Kaj had just erased her so what were the memories Miykael had targeted?

Another step forward. “Who else did you erase? Everyone that didn’t come to live with you in your precious Falls? Evangeline, Thor, Kahlua?”

image credits
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

The painted maiden jumped back away from him with a startled yelp, but Kaj did not yield, staring her down with intense blues. He wanted badly to know who she was, to get this hellish experience over with. Maybe it was counter productive to try and fill the gaps Other Kaj had purposefully created, but Kaj now didn't know how else to deal with these kinds of scenarios. He was convinced he would end up running into them anyways, and he'd rather figure out what they felt for him and how to deal with them before he was forced to do so in front of an eager audience. It did not make it any easier to see how the mare's eyes narrowed down upon him as he stood tense and ready before her, wondering if this was the right choice. It seemed like it was going to be just as exhausting as his encounter with Brisa, and gods damn it Kaj just didn't have the energy for that. Why would he waste his day on screaming mares? Especially when he had no memories to defend himself against any allegations they threw his way. 

At least this mare focused immediately on the topic at hand - though to be fair Kaj had only given her one topic, and purposefully might he add, because he didn't want her to go off track like Brisa had with things like love and cowardice. Her momentary calm made Kaj narrow his eyes, wary and distrusting of the complacency she was showing. 

He was right to be cautious, he decided as she promptly exploded. Well...not really exploded but Kaj would prefer that over any kind of chilled, venomous anger like the one she was currently displaying. Instead he shrugged, genuine puzzlement upon his handsome features as he looked down at her. "You don't have to," he pointed out in clarification. "Clearly if I don't remember you I don't know why you hate me, but I could at least ask." He had no control or authority over her, and he would actually probably be grateful if she sent him on his way because then he wouldn't have to deal with this whole mess. 

Except she seemed intent on ripping him apart anyways. Did she like to torture herself or something?

Again he tilted his head and shrugged. "I know the names of some of them, Miykael said that I could not erase bits of every memory so the prevalent characters would of course remain. But I don't know them in any other way aside from a loose acquaintanceship. Kahlua I recognize most of all of them, if that is any indication," he finished lamely, wings ruffling uneasily. "I'm not the one who made the choice to forget them, though. But if it made Other Kaj that weak, then I don't know if I regret doing it." Oh man, he thought as his tongue betrayed him. She was probably going to love that. 

KAJ
the road i walk is paved in gold to glorify my platinum soul
image credits
table by whit

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Alysanne understood the difference of selves that Kaj was speaking of, how the blocking of memories could turn you into a completely different version of yourself. When those blocks crumbled, and she firmly believed that they would, that broken self would be there waiting. The mention of Miykael confirmed her suspicions and her wings were tossed up in a show of exasperation as she rolled her eyes. “Damn Miykael, has he not yet learned not to meddle?” She had left things with her daughter’s father in a good place the last time they talked but she was quite certain their next meeting wouldn’t be so peaceful. How many other Helovians had he brainwashed with his magic?

Her understanding of what Kaj was going through - or, at least, she thought she understood - had some calming effect on her fury but the coldness with which he was treating her caused her to grind her teeth. ‘The least he could do was ask!’ As if it this was all somehow her fault. She wasn’t the one who had gone begging to someone else to erase the memories that hurt. Everyone had those memories. And she had to admit that she preferred the Kaj she hated over the robotic one before her with his shrugs and explanations.

Folding her wings back down and flicking her tail angrily, it was sadness that shone in her green eyes when she looked at him now. “Does this new Kaj understand how much it hurts to hear I was erased, without even a regret over the action? How many others have you walked up to and asked this of them? You full well know that we must have been erased for a reason yet you insist on knowing why. Doesn’t that defeat the purpose?” It seemed so odd to her, that he felt compelled to ask those he had erased why he had done it. To her, it certainly did not sound as if there were no regrets. Surely there must be some to encourage such insensitive behaviour.

Or perhaps he had been left emotionless by the change. Just how much of Kaj had been shaped by the interactions he had with those who had, apparently, caused him pain.

And now he was doing the same to them. She stepped back from him now, shaking her head as if that would be enough to get the memory of this conversation out of her head. “Haven’t you done enough damage as one Kaj, must you continue the trend with your new self? Leave and be happy for the memories you no longer have.”

image credits
made by the lovely tamme