the Rift

[OPEN] Architect

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme
ULRIK & KIRCHOFF
Each point in space (and time) is associated with a vector that determines what force a moving charge would experience.

Ulrik couldn't remember exactly the last time he had wandered to the beach. Sand irritated him. The little grains managed to get into every nook and cranny, relieved only be washing off on the ocean. But the second you walked back onto land, even more would stick like chafing glue; it was a vicious cycle he had learned to avoid as a child. Still, there was beauty to be found in the endlessness of blue on the horizon, and this weather tended to tame the sands at least somewhat.

He wasn't exactly sure what to do with his skills now, since he was wary of the new leaders in the World's Edge. Mauja was known to him, and so was Illynx. But these? They were too new. They were too strange. He would have to study them intently to determine if they would use his powers wisely or if they cared at all. So many seemed to lackadaisically wander through life on the defensive, only reacting when something forced itself in their path.

Ulrik knew better. He knew how to plan and protect, build and fortify. The beat of a stallion was prepared for war because he had grown up in its grasp, raised under the notion that he was superior and had to prove it with force. While he had evolved somewhat from that mindset, mostly do in part to meeting intelligent members of other species, he had not fundamentally changed the part of him that considered all outcomes and planned for the future.

He was an architect and a designer, a true engineer. And, he knew that protection began with a good offense. Getting others to see this? That would require public speaking, and he had little interest in putting himself into the lime light anymore than he already had with the moon goddess.

Wind pulled at the now long strands of black hair and ruffled the fluff on his chest, and  he looked down at the way his toes gathered the sand, curious about how hard and yet yielding the substance was. Kirchoff simply scoffed and found a bone to chew on, watching his mind-mate with barely contained judgment and amusement.

@Essetia

(Please tag me in every post)

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds
Twice now I’d strayed from the Dragon’s Throat to find consolation in the rolling landscape of the Endless Blue. I’d met a boy the first time round, a kindred spirit, who shared more than just a home with me, for our histories were oddly similar. He’d spoken of his mother and of loss and love, or the lack thereof… and somehow he’d threaded a string of doubt through my heart as I wandered again to the sands. Like him, I worried that I would never want to feel again after too many defeats, or really that I simply couldn’t.

The autumn sun rose without the warmth it had shed only days prior and the chill rolled across my skin in waves. Winter was coming. Even the pastel light of a winter noon seemed to drift across the sky, ribboning the heavens in soft shades of blue. Lazy clouds meandered in and out of the firmament and from time to time their shadows fell across my back causing me to shiver against the salty ocean breeze. I truly hadn’t wandered far from the ocean since my last visit and instead of turning back toward the south, I’d simply circled around and around… aimless.

Romul had remained at my side for most of the day and had refused to leave me even when I desired a moment’s peace, alone. For whatever reason, he insisted on becoming my shadow after sensing other companies at the ocean’s edge. I wanted nothing more than to indulge him and his worries, but instead forced him to patrol the beach, even if he wouldn’t go far.

Relief fluttered briefly in my stomach as I watched him turn to leave, and as he did so I resumed my ascent down the shore only to be stopped at the sight of another. Panic flared low and hot starting in my legs and moving upward until I was finally engulfed in flames. The uncertainty and the wonder and the doubt that coursed from his reappearance left me bewildered, unkempt. I’d been a different girl then, somehow brave, somehow determined. What was left of me –if anything at all- was confusion… a lost path never trodden. But I’d done it once… I could do it again.

I could confront the past… couldn’t I?

As if without thought, I approached quietly, still unable to conjure the words it would take to make him aware of me. It was funny that I was once able to confront him so easily, Ulrik, and funnier still that now I felt like a shy child unused to her own skin. Yet, he’d remained the same from what I could see as he stood before the very waves I’d only recently left. “The snow suits you better,” I stated softly. Inwardly, my nerves were alight with a cold fire that wouldn’t seem to die, but outwardly I tried my best to maintain whatever composure I still gripped so violently to heart.

I nodded to the hellhound at his heels and turned my stare into the tide, hoping that the constant thrumming of the waves would calm my racing heart. One by one, the pieces of my shattered life were coming back together and it was up to me to decide whether or not to reassemble them or merely leave them scattered.

Essetia & Romul
@Ulrik

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme
ULRIK & KIRCHOFF
Each point in space (and time) is associated with a vector that determines what force a moving charge would experience.

There was love. Squishy, affectionate love. The exchange of gifts. Soft kisses in the morning and sex with lots of eye contact. Constant communication, never leaving another's side and dropping all other attempts at a life to devote yours to another. This love took two souls who reached out to each other with empathy and emotion, brimming with unfettered and unabashed feelings. This love didn't have to be exciting. In fact, the pattern could be rather mundane. This kind of love was something Ulrik could never do; it wasn't him.

But there was another kind of excitement, a dark kind... A sort that those wanting the above type of love found horrifying but others found tantalizing. This was the feeling of ice and excitement crawling up your spine at a single gaze. Breathlessness at a single word. Gut wrenching terror wrapped in desire, blacker than smoke and softer than silk. Love could be found here, in the roles and rules of violence, darkness and desire. Where fear met affection, balancing on a wire of conflicting and yet symbiotic emotions was a high unlike any other.

This wasn't squishy love. This wasn't communication. In fact, words would only get in the way.

This was raw and addicting...

The sound she made was barely a whisper on the sand, easily mistaken for the rustling of the grasses at his back as he stared into the depths of the ocean. Only her words gave her position away, but he was not startled. Instead, he raised a dark brow, turning his gaze slowly to her and unable to keep himself from a perfunctory once over. Mostly it was to see if she was well - unharmed. She was. She was also quite lovely, a thought he was very unused to having about hornless creatures.

Her words were amusing, considering that he didn't much like snow, but he didn't admit that to her - not yet. Instead, he shifted his weight onto one back leg, musing that his height and weight were formidable to most like her in this world. That was not a feeling he was used to have at all considering that his family was generally thicker than he. "Why do you say that?" he asked, his deep voice rumbling in a graveled tone.

Kirchoff looked up at her, acknowledging her with a nod of his head before retuning to chewing on the bone he found. He didn't exactly trust this mare, not with how his normally stoic and icy friend and become unsure and changed because of her and Midas dying. The poor brute wasn't sure how to handle direct confrontations to his beliefs. The white dog at her side was also not on his friend list, so he stayed put, sullenly hoarding his chew toy.

SOrry for the wait!
@Essetia

(Please tag me in every post)

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds
Spirals of cool, seawater gales wafted in from the ocean, riding the low tides before finally sailing easily across the shore. They picked up loose strands of forelock as they went and tugged them away from my face. It felt more like an omen than a force of nature, but the inevitable darkness that accompanied a man like Ulrik was certain to bring ill tidings to any unsuspecting soul. I mulled over the fine lines of his face for a moment when he turned to face me, but found my stare wavering, unsure. He was just as I’d left him, cold and unassuming, and somehow a pillar that stood strong against the rushing of my many uncertainties. Like a hurricane, I’d been transformed from a confident thunderhead into a destructive squall, blowing across every line I’d ever drawn.

My rampant high winds had lost control and I’d spun mindlessly about until everything around me was left in mere shambles. Only now had I managed to contain my own tempest and calm the pandemonium racketing haphazardly at the core of my very being…. But looking at him threatened to spoil any such progress. Ulrik shook loose the rain that brewed behind closed doors and pressed against the impassive walls that shielded my emotions. Yet, instead of becoming consumed by him, by myself, I threaded the last of my willpower around my heart until only the distant rumbling of thunder echoed against my hollow remembrances.

I took a step toward him, finding only the false imaginings of strength to guide me forward. Even imitated confidence was better than feeling what lingered against the warmth of my skin and against the backs of my eyes where memories longed to come to light. I feared what I saw in him and feared more what we’d been through together despite being on opposing ends of death. The loss of Midas had spurred in me an undeniable hatred for all, for Helovia, and for the things I could’ve, but wasn’t allowed to do. When the grief had faded, I’d been able to reconcile with my past somehow, though only shallowly. Instead, I’d begun to dwell on things lighter and less substantial to my heart.

Frisking about Helovia had certainly become a hobby of mine and I’d met many new faces, some dear and some not. I recalled Caneo, my dreamer and newly established friend, as I’d welcomed him to the Throat. I thought of Auriel and the unhappy look on her face when I’d mentioned her mother, Elsa. Even Misael had left a noticeable mark on my disposition- they were all helping to uncover a future I thought I’d never have.

But Ulrik… he was different somehow, though I couldn’t quite put a finger on why.

When at last I was close enough to glance up toward the molten bronze of his stare, I simply studied while he spoke. There was no animated hello or questions about how I’d been… True to his nature, he kept any curiosities tightly bound within while I floundered before him like a child. This wasn’t how he would have recalled me anyway. “Because that’s how I remember you.” 

The words came quickly, but seemingly sure, and I turned to watch as Kirchoff continued to chew and mutilate the bone he’d probably found hidden in the sands. Had nothing changed?

Essetia & Romul
@Ulrik

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity