the Rift

[OPEN] Anew.

Caneo Posts: 133
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3h :: 6 years HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Ophiria :: Dragon Snake :: None kae

Morning presses narrow fingers into the endless darkness of a hopeful sky. Day hinges on the verge of night, and under the changing of the guard up in the heavens, Caneo trails behind his newfound (refound?) friend. A journey lays behind them, longer still for him, but little in his movement betrays weariness. More than anything, this, traveling, is like Caneo's home. His heart beats a steady complement to the rhythm of their hooves. His ears twitch to catch the noise of Essetia's breath and measure the tempo of her gait. He recalls something like this spent trailing behind someone else, though the road then led northward and too many things warred in Caneo's head for him to feel at peace.

He is peaceful now.

Grown, sharp and thin and bright, he is old enough now to appreciate the practical comfort of loyalty. This he vows to himself; and he gazes at the mare leading the way in silent reaffirmation. The place she touched him back in the Threshold still smolders with faint warmth; he had received the touch with the barest flinch then, better at acting than being acted upon. It was still kind, and it affirmed something Caneo suspected all along: how like he is this mare. She is not a bright star to wish on, or a fire to yearn for. She is simply here, understanding, asking of him nothing he cannot give. He remembers their recent conversation and their more distant one with a glow comparable to joy nestled deep in his breast. It keeps him warm as they walk, though his thoughts also wander ahead, to the promise of heat and sun and, doubtless, many strangers.

Who will greet them, now?

He has not spoken to royalty in a long time. Maybe a faint prickle of nervousness sprouts in his gut, but Caneo is certain now a lord is just a fancy name for someone just as flesh and blood as himself. So long as they stumble upon no true gods... That he refuses to think about. He will not have morning spoiled by religion and ill memory. Anyway, Essetia had said it: "You won't be disappointed."

So, Caneo, worry not.

Light crawls in pale swaths across the ocean when at last they breach the mainland's edge: a sudden thing. The distant roaring half ignored until now suddenly makes sense, and Caneo remembers again the sensation of seeing all that water for the first time, the realization of his own small insignificance. He thinks of Roland again, and the thought drives him a little nearer to the mare, as if he fears to lose her. As he looks on, confusion replaces curiosity, however. There is cliff, and sea, and land beyond, and... nothing else. One ear cocked back, the other forward, Caneo turns his gaze upon Essetia again. A question lingers in the blue of his eyes. What now? But he does not speak. He has spoken a lot already; now he waits, patient as always, preparing himself for whatever may come.

sxc.hu

ooc | @Essetia , herd leaders? transitioning here from their Threshold thread with Linds' permission

* violence & magic use always permitted *
Do not tag Caneo unless you are starting a new thread you would like me to see! Thank you!

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
AMPERE
the Mother of Companions

Patrolling the land had becomes something as customary as eating or drinking to her. It was no longer a task, not a duty, not even work. It was just a part of life, and that was that. She wasn't sure when it had happened, this endless loyalty to sand and the horses tough enough to survive in it, but somehow, some when, it had nudged the wild wandering from her chest and replaced it with formidable love. It would too much to say it had made her utterly selfless, but there was something akin to it in the way she served the herd.

Such thoughts did not press on her mind as she flew though, and her behavior was not a singular example among the herd, so it was likely no one else held such thoughts either. Instead, Ampere pondered on her family, the direct extension of them, as her recent days had been busy with her new girls. Leaving for patrols when she'd had her son had been no difficult task, he was always there when she came back. Maybe not the exact spot she'd left him, but in the fucking herd. The girls on the other hand, strong and capable - perhaps just flighted compared to her boy - were frequently gone astray. Ampere might have worried more if not for her trusty knife; how much she owed Fairylights now for returning it to her!

Like so many times before Ampere spotted the arrival of horses on the border beyond the sea. She had to admit, Gaucho's plan was effective. It was not without its flaws, but Ampere almost always spotted arriving caravans now, making her wonder how many had been missed before when there was no strand of blue to break up the desert and its connection to the rest of the realm.

Tilting easily on thermals the blue mare soared across the way, circling above as she cut in to land, glancing down at the two as she did so. The one mare she recognized as she got closer, and she hailed a greeting to her as Ampere drifted by, hooves extended to grab the ground as she descended. "Hail, Essetia! Welcome back!" The spy had been a strange sort, but Ampere guessed most sneaks were. A refugee of war that entered the herd and challenged, and won, the top rank only to vanish afterwards. That she challenged so quickly had certainly gotten the herd's attention, particularly since the craft she fought for tended to avoid direct conflict. That she had won garnered Ampere's attention. That she'd left, well, Ampere could hardly hold it against her having done something similar, she was just glad to see her back, and apparently with someone in tow.

Ruffling her feathers from flight they resettled sleek and fit against her body as she turned to face them both. Her head dipped in greeting, but otherwise she held it tall, or as tall as she could manage. never one to let her short statue make her feel small though, Ampere held her authority well. "And who's this you've brought?" she queried, the tone in no way judgmental, though her stare clearly was. The desert was no place for the weak, and though most brought here were usually up to snuff, Ampere didn't trust Essetia enough to not inspect her recruit.

"I'm Ampere, Chancellor and Gladiator here," she introduced herself, her titled coming off as information rather than pride, but they were well earned. As with anyone offering something (home, protection, family), Ampere wondered what he could give in return. He certainly didn't look strong, half starved like he'd been eating tree bark even during Birdsong, but his features, especially his eyes, held a certain resilience in them that Ampere was intrigued. After giving him the once over she let the blue of her gaze rest heavy on his own.
Credits: Image by eagle-cry-designs @ DA

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds

To look and truly see someone or something is a concept I’d never been capable of, but with Caneo I didn’t feel the need to try. He was there before me like a mountain, tall and unmoving. Perhaps it was the idea that we remained twin peaks, two stones carved by the elements, that gave me hope for him- for myself. Even in the hazy morning glow, I felt settled instead of restless, peaceful instead of melancholy. His presence soothed me in ways that I didn’t understand nor had the patience to question… We just were, no matter how vague and unreliable such sentiments undoubtedly seemed.

As we neared the wide rift between the Dragon’s Throat and the outlying borders of our home, I noticed his closeness and his presumed hesitation. Whatever it was that troubled him I could not know, but I attempted to try and offered him an encouraging smile. “What do you think Dreamer?

The cliff and the sands and the world beyond the waters that clung to dry-washed banks were but an illusion to fool the ignorant. But I knew what lie ahead and the individuals that inhabited such a majestic land, even if I knew them without names. Warriors. They were a people made up of warriors, ones I respected and trusted in the wake of falling victim to invasion. It was in the Throat that I knew we would both prosper and grow- together. Yet, fear still found home in my heart for the consequences I would face if I didn’t prove my own worth as I’d done once before. Leaving had made me weak, but returning with my tail tucked between my legs would only be my figurative death.

As if on cue, a creature breeched the calmness of the heavens, her voice ringing out above us- my name. Never before had we spoken and yet as always, out of duty or respect, I knew that she –Ampere- would one day make my acquaintance. In a rush of electric blues and deep, midnight sapphires, the Pegasus departed from the skies to alight alongside us. She appeared a jovial sort of creature, though still hardened by war, and I nodded cordially to the Gladiator. “Thank you. It is good to feel the sand beneath my feet again,” I offered warmly. With Caneo still close by my side, I radiated strength and confidence… traits that had been robbed of me in the darkness of my wandering.

The Mother of Companions was in no way my equal when it came to her cool self-awareness and rigid charms, but I wished for such power one day… if only because I’d once been as poised.

Instead of picking up her string of conversation, I allowed Dreamer the chance to afford his own choices and his own voice. His name was not mine to give or take, but simply to know. He didn’t need me to fill his voids any longer. That much I could see.

essetia
@Ampere @Caneo

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

His admiration is palpable, too great a stimulus to hide in face of the vast sea and the island rising from it. Caneo feels Essetia's attention on him, though, and slowly forces composure back into his body. Pale eyes study her once more, as if searching for the answer to the greatest question now dwelling in his mind: how? Did she swim? Fly? Take some other means by magic granted? She asks him what he thinks as if she doesn't know, and Caneo takes this opportunity to shake himself physically, releasing the tension built up along his spine. "It's very grand," He could do better if he wanted to compliment them, but he spits out the bland phrase instead, concern swarming his thoughts.

He hasn't mastered himself quite enough to avoid the smallest flinch when a great shadow crosses suddenly over them both. Caneo flings his head back to watch the winged mare descend, growing from an oddly shaped blackbird up in the heavens to a diminutive pegasus upon the earth. In sight of the stranger, and without really thinking about it, Caneo begins to retreat, the bare hints of warmth in his manner toward Essetia withdrawing, coiling up somewhere behind his eyes. He stands tall, as tall as his frail body goes, muscle taut as spun glass even though the stranger obviously knows his friend and means them no ill will.

Yet.

Though her voice is friendly, Caneo reads something volatile in her body language, like a stick of dynamite just waiting to be jostled. The way she holds her little self, the way she looks at him... he cannot say whether it comes of exuberance or an abundance of pride or something else. So he is careful now, his cold eyes expressionless. "Caneo," he says when she asks for his name. He does not even hesitate, or wait for Essetia to respond first, though it might be wiser. The end of his tail twitches as finally he learns a name - Ampere - and a little handful of titles.

That explains it some.

This Ampere isn't like the unicorns he met in the last herd land he visited, at all. She seems somehow more lively, though Caneo isn't certain which he prefers. A certain secretive voice in the back of his mind hisses neither but he shoos it away. Dips his head slowly, at last, though it rises again to the full height of his slender neck. "It's nice to meet you, Miss Ampere," he tells her. He is falling back on older teachings now, things learned under moonlight and on the run. His skin itches. "You must be pretty special if you're two things here. I've never met anyone like that." Though the words themselves are complimentary, something in the tone of his voice is laughing, questioning, wondering and how special? as if he can draw from her exactly what sort of danger she might pose.

But maybe ignorance is best if it means no danger at all.

Ripping his gaze from Ampere's at last, Caneo adds, "Essetia wanted to show me the Dragon's Throat. Even from here, it looks as nice as she promised," and he gestures beyond, at the island.  He wants to say more, ask more, but Caneo bites his tongue. He doesn't want to be presumptuous now this other player has entered the game, and he doesn't want to get Essetia in trouble, either, though speaking their intentions plainly seems better than making up a thin lie. Does the Dragon's Throat even allow unicorns? He hadn't thought of that before. Now he wishes he had, and silently curses himself, tail active at his heels, as he blinks again at the Chancellor/Gladiator.

sxc.hu

ooc| sorry about the delay! been a rough week

Do not tag Caneo unless you are starting a new thread you would like me to see! Thank you!

AMPERE
the Mother of Companions

The brief stay of the sneak would have certainly earned her anonymity from Ampere, if not for the mare's challenge of her friend. Present at the battle and the change of titles, it was hard not to come to know the mare, or at least her name. Double the fact that it was her duty, or one of them, to know all the heads of the rank classes, and Essetia was certainly pegged in Ampere's book. Ghost will be pleased she thought absently, but by then her attention had drifted to the stranger.

He gives his name easily enough, but he tells so much more as he says it. Names are just words, formalities, and ones Ampere easily forgot if they did not prove substantial (the way Essetia had when she branded her memory with a battle). Who was not answered with merely a name, but it was a start.

Like a snail withdrawn into its shell at her initial poking of him, the pale stallion finds himself in his well mannered words, and gradually slinks from the husk of his bones. In her youth she would have already cast him aside as weak and worthless, too impatient for such noticeable weathering and wear. Beneath her titles though the mare has aged, and at some point, grown a smidgen wiser for it too. Caneo is not weak, he is stronger for all the cracks and lines he wears, and his reluctance, his caution shows experience. He doesn't seem a warrior, to be sure, but he fights in his own ways, and Ampere can respect that.

"I'm sure you haven't," her tongue fences back his tart praise, the extension of his voice gathering her attention upon him rather than just on him. She tilts her head slightly, a sudden simper filling the lines of her mouth as her retort finishes; a touch of warning, or perhaps a promise. So much for the shy snail.

"Are you thinking of staying then?" Ampere asks, hoping to clarify his statement that sounded like droll flattery. The desert was hardly nice. If the stretch of sea which separated it from the mainland wasn't obvious enough, than the rolling expanse of sand and sea surely was. Only the oasis and the horses made it a place worth inhabiting, and even then they were tough and salty like the land they come from - not nice. Ampere loved the herd to be sure, even found the heat appealing and the beach soothing, but she wasn't so naive as to think it something as noticeably beautiful as the Hidden Falls or the World's Edge. It was much more akin to the Aurora Basin, alluring for its harshness. "Or just visiting?" Ampere might have invited him in, to truly show him the niceties of the Throat, if not for the hesitation of inviting unpromising strangers home so flippantly. If he had no intention of staying, then she'd need to know more about him before giving him the grand tour.

Her key was at the ready though, its metal body pressed between her wings where she also stashed her knives.

Was it grand?

Was the Dragon’s Throat just as grand as I’d made it out to be? Had I been lying to him about the heat of the sands and the dust storms that occasionally rolled across the plains toward the sea? I found it all to be magical, a land of true wonder despite the exotic paradise that I’d once called the Hidden Falls. But what did it matter now? What good was my own opinion when shaping the views of others whose minds had already been shaped? I stared absently across the magnificent body of water designed to keep us safe and I wondered why it had been placed. Who did it keep out? In retrospect I should have been glad to lay eyes on such a crude measure of defense, but instead I found myself questioning its motives. It kept everyone out… including me from time to time. Was that how family worked?

I turned my attention back to both Ampere and Caneo in enough time to catch their introductions and I smiled in relief at the exchange. The blue mare was anything but motherly and yet somehow a net in which I knew I could fall. She was the brawn and the brains behind some important roles in the Dragon’s Throat, ones I was sure I’d utilize one day, and a sturdy companion should I need a helping hand. But what made her tick? What made her sacrifice for the two titles she carried? Was it family? Was I a part of it?

Again I’d distracted myself from conversation and again I was somehow surprised to hear my name rippling within the soft refrain of Caneo’s voice. I’d missed the tense interactions beforehand, or perhaps I’d simply wanted to ignore them, but even I could see the subtle shift of question as it slid from the planes of Ampere’s face when she regarded the young dreamer. He was not like them- not some war-hardened creature cut and trimmed for battle. His soul was one that reached far and wide while others like myself merely lingered close to heart. Dreamer was a tree with too many branches in which to shade us, but not enough sun to grow… and so we both fought the agonies of life, just from different perspectives.

I wasn’t yet sure how Caneo would answer the invitation to join me –us- in the Throat, but I pleaded inwardly for him to comply. I wanted nothing more than to show him that his branches would not only grow here… but so would his roots.

Please.

essetia
@Ampere @Caneo

If Caneo paused to think on it, he might realize the challenge of Ampere's gaze reminds him of something (someone) he once thought lost. Eager to look forward rather than behind, he refuses to do so, and the hard gaze of the last soldier he truly knew stares at him from a semi-conscious place. He might have been something more deadly if that old man never died; he might be something deadly now, watching with cool, half-amused eyes as the pegasus sinks her teeth into his mild taunt and hurls it back at him, just as gracefully.

He likes her.

It is not a conscious like, or the same like he feels for Tandavi and Essetia, but his heart beats as if it remembers life and how to run. A soft snort is all he gives her, a shadow of a laugh, to acknowledge her rebuttal. It is a good one, and better than violence, so maybe he underestimated her at first. Caneo is glad he's kept most of his hand a secret, now, and kept his words polite. But then the conversation carries on, and Ampere's next question strikes him much harder than her flippant remark, and he is quiet, quiet, quiet.

Thinking.

He did not want to answer such a question, yet. He feels either way it will be a lie; after all, who sees the future? Who knows what will become of him, or anyone, or who he will meet in the heat of day with sand in his hooves? But Caneo thinks too of winter, the unyielding teeth at his back driving him forward just as Essetia gently leads. And he thinks, loyalty is a practical price to pay for life. He is no longer a child content to roam, hanging on to life by threads, grasping and wondering and dreaming. Caneo is very still.

"I would like to stay," he admits, slowly, as if the words are heavy now and he must judge the value of each one. He gazes squarely at Ampere, for she is the one of rank at this meeting, and his answer to her means more than anything he might say to his friend as far as fortunes go. Telling a king you wish to serve him is different than telling someone else you want to serve the king, after all. Caneo, who has little familiarity with such things, knows only the tragedy of his first home and the aimlessness of all others. He isn't certain if he will find something else here or not. He wants desperately to try. "I was born in the desert," he says. "I think I will like your kingdom better than the snow." This is the only reference he will give to his past here in Helovia, or his singular (halfhearted) attempt at becoming a member of the Aurora Basin. "Do you have room in your herd for another spy?"

sxc.hu

AMPERE
the Mother of Companions

Essetia's quiet said as much as Caneo. For a brief moment, as Ampere's question hung in the air and Caneo's decision remained unspoken, Ampere's gaze switched to the bay spy and her white-marked face. To herself Ampere wondered what had drawn Essetia to the stallion. Not because Ampere couldn't see any value in him, but because she wondered what Essetia valued, what she looked for in others. Was Essetia's silence because she was confident in his own ability to stand before Ampere, or because she was just as interested in the answers as the Mother of Companions? Or was Essetia's silence utterly devoid of any impirtance with Caneo, and merely a symbol of her guilt for falling into disrepair after clamoring for heights she could not perch atop? The sneak was too guarded for Ampere to garner much in such a short time, and as it was Caneo's voice broke her concentration. Her mane flicked with the movement of her head.

There is little surprise in her as she nods to his response, accepting it easily. She has no notion of the heaviness the query pushed on his thin body, of the indecision and the wildness that remained vivid inside of him, something that strengthened his sinew and held him together after all this years - now so easily plucked away with a single moment, a meager question. Ampere doesn't need to know, because he's given his answer and it's by that response that she will regard him; though she does catch his reference to the snow. That he might mean the basin is lost on her, if only for the season fast approaching.

Ampere smiled, and for the first time since arriving, it seemed warm. He was family now, to her, for better or for worse. That was the weight she knew. "You'll have to take it up with Ghost." Ampere responded with a wry smile, seeming to find amusement int he mare's name, as if she was born for her rank. "Don't let the name fool you, she's very much real and visible. She leads the sneaks, I'm sure Essetia knows where to find her." Another glance cast towards the bay mare, curious how that mention might affect her. Ampere didn't know much of their relationship, but she knew Ghost had been intrigued by Essetia's name in the past, and given their shared ranks, surely it was mutual.

Following the blue of her eyes on Essetia the key at Ampere's back was tossed towards her. It drifted on unseen winds, cast there with unseen hands; only the mild hum of an electrical pulse might suggest Ampere's magic was at work (aside from the fact the key was floating at all). "Keep it safe," she said, with no hint of malice or accusation, just a lingering look that bespoke the importance of the token.
Ampere could get her own from Cera again, later, but Essetia needed it for now to bring Caneo over. "Cross when you're ready. See the crafter Cera about getting your own when you've settled - unless you're partial to swimming?" Smirking, Ampere lifted her wings, ready to get back to her routine patrol unless they needed her still.

[You can say she flew off, just ended it like that in case more conversation came up!
Essetia now has a DT key in her items!]

Like two strings to one’s bow, Caneo and I were invited into the soft fold of the Dragon Throat family. Again and again I’d been here, a beacon possessing too many shades of varying light, only to wind up saying the same things. Doing the same things. That repetition had become a cornerstone of my life… a ceaseless battle with the monotony of my own choices. But I was happy. Even though I’d bedded so many uncertainties, embraced so many lies, I was somehow whole, somehow more than I was when I’d first set foot on the southern shores. I’d come expecting to take up thrones that weren’t mine to keep and left with the burden of them riding upon my shoulders. The freedom that came with this new acceptance kept my insecurities at bay… that and the comfort of having a friend –of having Caneo- at my side.

As if I’d almost forgotten, I returned my child-like attention toward the dreamer as he mentioned his desire to remain in the south. His words felt heavy on my ears, indecisive somehow, and yet just as concrete and sturdy as the man himself. His eyes were trained on Ampere like they had been with me back in the Threshold, but this time there was something different, something I considered to be more guarded… or certain. I wondered if he would ever look at me that way- if I really wanted him to. But as he continued, my curiosities faltered, driven more by his request to become a spy. I smiled slightly despite myself and turned to study Ampere’s reaction to the idea of allowing yet another sleuth amongst her ranks. However, her answer was more or less what I’d been expecting, and her reference to Ghost was one that had not gone unnoticed. “I’m certain Ghost would be more than happy to receive you. She’s certainly not as elusive as one might think, just the opposite in fact, as long as you’ve got the talent for the task,” I stated good-humoredly.

Without any remaining reservations and with a much lighter heart, I offered Ampere a genuine smile. Making her acquaintance had been direction enough to continue building the life I’d started and left behind simultaneously. I wanted family, needed it. I’d simply gotten lost before truly finding out what it meant to those that called the Dragon’s Throat their own.

Before I’d even noticed the electric murmur of her magic or the glint of the metal key, Ampere surprised me yet again by tossing me the very thing that would always allow me access into her home. I felt both blessed and accountable for how my future might turn out now that I’d been granted her trust… “Always,” I answered quietly with a sincere gaze. But how long would always last this time around? I couldn’t run. I couldn’t hide from the things that I loved most… not anymore. Even as the azure-colored warrior thrust herself back into the skies overhead, I felt the need to thank her for seeing in me what only a handful of others had seen… and for giving me the opportunity to prove my loyalty once again.

I watched for a moment as she disappeared before turning to address dreamer with a devious smirk. Little did he know that we would be ascending to similar heights to cross the wide river that kept everyone else outside. We wouldn’t have to worry any longer about the defense mechanism designed to ward off intruders. We were family now…

Are you ready?

essetia
@Ampere @Caneo

Surprise gleams briefly, honestly in Caneo's gaze as Ampere so easily accepts his request. He had expected... more. But now warmth blooms in the air between them, as if family might be so simple as a word. He tucks away confusion quickly, but it lingers under the pleasant emptiness of his expression, whirling out questions to be answered later. Of all the things Caneo knows, all the stories he has heard and made... Still, he knows too little of this. Trust remains an island like the Dragon's Throat itself, glimpsed briefly in his travels but forever unattainable.

He listens in polite silence to the description of Ghost. Ears cup forward, genuine interest prickling up at the sound of her name. Ghost. He envisions a white mare. Essetia's voice draws his attention toward her, briefly, and he is glad to hear her voice again. Failing to realize how quiet she is, Caneo thinks she must have better talent at the job than him. She has faded, like a watcher without a body, so long as she found no reason to speak. Now he blinks at her in mute question, wondering if she sees any aptitude in him, and what it means if she does not. "Thank you," Caneo says to them both. "I will find her, then." Eventually. Too many new things present themselves at once, and he finds himself receding, observing, struggling to tuck it all away.

His confusion renders him quiet still, a background note to the mares as Ampere's attention centers on the other spy. Wariness draws taut in Caneo's body at the sight of the floating... thing. Key? It strikes against his brain like danger, strange and unnatural, but the most he allows himself is a single, wary step back. Maybe it can be mistaken as deference, giving the two of them space for this... ritual, whatever it means. His eyes sweep, narrow again, over Ampere as she turns away and cocks her wings. She is strange, a question in his mind, a whole bundle of questions, and he thinks he will see her again. Has to.

But now she goes.

"My own," Caneo parrots numbly, though the words betray no hint of his discomfort. Some piece of this puzzle remains lost, and he waits to see it fit into place before asking the obvious questions. Instead, he nods once to Ampere, unable to completely wipe the slight frown off his features. "Goodbye!" Caneo calls more loudly when she departs, his voice a light silver sound against the sky.

Now he stands alone with Essetia again. The moment of decision fades away, and he is aware of passing the first test. Excitement wars with overstimulation in his chest, but the brighter emotion wins out, and with a step toward the edge, Caneo peers down into the water. His ears twitch. Though he doesn't notice it, he brightens a bit in the pegasus' absence. Something genuine shows in his manner as he turns back to his friend, a childish wonder in his eyes. "I am ready," Caneo announces. His body is tense, near trembling, but not from fear.

"Let's go." He offers a questioning smile.

sxc.hu

@Essetia

I imagine us as angels. Even before the magic begins, I recognize only the feeling of the key as it dangles loosely around my neck. It is as foreign as it is moving, a token of trust… of a future in the Dragon’s Throat. But it is so much more now- a relic of the growing bond between Caneo and I, a symbol of my return and ultimate promise to remain in the Throat, and even a bond with those I’d failed to meet the first time around. It glows softly against my chest and as it does so, I turn my eyes toward Caneo wanting him to see. The first time I’d crossed the channel into the south, I’d done it by boat with Maren the Priestess. The second had been with Ghost and I’d been able to experience the joys that Caneo too would soon (hopefully) delight in.

When at last he gave me permission to tap into the enchanted power of the key, I smiled animatedly. “Get ready,” I warned. Stepping forward toward the banks of the trench, I waited patiently for the new spy to approach my side. Never before had I used the key myself and didn’t know whether or not it required a touch or simple willpower to activate it, but upon reaching the shore, I felt my body begin to hum with the familiar warmth of magic.

For a moment I let it encapsulate me until I was rising up above both sand and water alike. My stomach dropped away from beneath me and I managed a strangled laugh that bubbled up from its depths like thick bile. Clearly I wasn’t yet accustomed to the imitated notion of flying, but I assumed that one day that would change… with enough practice of course.

The beating of wings sounded on either side of us and again I pictured us as angels preparing to land. It was such a subtle and warm image, one that helped to mask the strange feeling of flight despite a none-too-graceful landing upon the opposite shore. Adrenaline rushed through my veins and erupted in my nerve endings as I turned once again to face Caneo, flushed and surprised. Every time still felt like the first to me… What had it felt like to him?

I was gearing up to prod him for such details when I realized just how tired the weary dreamer might be. He had come a long way presumably and I had no desire to keep him from the rest and relaxation that he deserved. Another day then….

When you’re ready, I can take you to Ghost. I’m certain that you’ll be wanting some sleep and provisions before embarking on that kind of task,” I stated knowingly. “Sleep well dreamer.

essetia
@Caneo

Caneo thrums with the sensation of standing upon a precipice - not the cliff - but something shattering and monumental. Maybe he feels only Essetia's joy bleeding through him; the mare shines like a newborn star in her anticipation. It makes her radiant, so much so that Caneo wonders, briefly, how he ever thought her quiet. And yet they are parallel in this regard: shining, dull, shining again, adaptive creatures testing the boundaries of this world they inhabit. He advances toward her side with curiosity filling his head, numbing his body to fear. He would not be so glad to do it if she were anyone else, but familiarity like a chain ensnares him.

So he goes.

Light, dainty steps bring the wraithlike stallion up to her side, neck arched, ears tilted forward to regard with interest (and a little suspicion) the softly glowing thing given by Ampere. "Get ready," Essetia tells him, and Caneo nods. Under the stillness of his skin, his body is a tight-wound thing, a complex mechanism waiting to explode. Not yet, he breathes in silence to the wildest parts of himself. Not now. Maybe not ever. He stands upon the cliff, allows his gaze to briefly catch the ocean, thinks this is a good metaphor for what is about to happen.

And happen it does - something outside of Caneo's body rings a dissonant note to the thrumming in his breast. His sharp, silver self rebels against it; the darkness of panic surges and dies somewhere privately in the back of his mind. And he rises.

Flying is the wrong word. Flying belongs to birds and angels and pegasi, and Caneo stares in mute, fascinated horror at the receding ground. A rushing fills his ears, hissing even above the thunder of his heart beat - a thousand wings bearing them from mainland to island, from past to future, over the crawling blue skin of the sea.

He would cry out, if ever he allowed his feelings voice.

Instead he travels silently, and discomfort betrays him only in the sharp flare of his nostrils, the downward flick of those narrow ears. It lasts too long, and yet it ends before he really gets a taste of it: hooves now on foreign soil, sand rough between cloven toes. Slowly the burn of magic fades, dripping from his soul like liquid flame, and though inwardly he recoils, Caneo is still, still, still. At last he inhales, sharp and abrupt, and forces the air out more slowly. His long, sparsely-haired tail twists like a blind snake at his back as he takes his first tentative steps into his new home, and blue eyes slowly shift from emptiness to vague, consuming hunger at the sight of the unknown. He will learn it all, given enough time. He will swallow the secrets of this place and keep them in his heart like gems, stories to be twisted and rewoven and stored until his dying breath.

Hearing Essetia's voice, Caneo cocks one ear back. Her words mean very little, but they are kind. He eyes her and nods once, shallowly. He forgets his manners now as exertion wears him thin and he finds he wants to be alone again, with this new place, listening to the stars here and finding out what they have to say. He will be patient as he wasn't in the Basin, or anywhere else. He has all winter to sleep, and to dream, and make sense of what drew him back. "Yes," Caneo agrees. A pause then, hesitation born of weariness or confusion or uncertainty. "Thank you," he adds, a little more warmly. "I will see you again."

As if the promise makes it true.

sxc.hu

ooc| @Essetia you don't need to reply if you'd rather not; just figured I'd finish this off