the Rift

[OPEN] ghosts on the doorstep [return/rejoin]

Calder Posts: 23
Absent Abyss atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 6 (Birdsong) HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Kiki

Calder had forgotten how treacherous the path to the Basin had been the first time he’d come.  Then he’d been half-dead from exhaustion and had still managed better than his clumsy attempt today.  And to think he’d lived his entire life on the side of a mountain that put any peak in Helovia to shame.  His ancestors would be disappointed.

The grey unicorn had been hoping to find some remnants of his family here in Helovia.  He’d been so encouraged to find so many other unicorns – including those sporting antlers – that he’d been foolish enough to hope that perhaps some of his family or his herdmates had escaped the mother mountain.  Calder dreamed vividly of his sister, to the point where he had convinced himself that she was alive.  He wouldn’t put it past the stubborn lass.  It’d take just a hair past the apocalypse to rid the world of the hardheaded mare that was his wee sister.  Still, when he had reason to hope that perhaps they to had found sanctuary here, the borders of the Basin simply could not hold him.  The pain was too raw and the potential of a familiar face was far too tempting.  So he’d gone before he’d ever really established himself as one of them.  A mere ghost on their doorstep.

Only now seasons had come and gone with little more than a whisper on the wind, and none of those whispers spoke anything of the life he had left behind.  So he supposed that after all his wanderings, it was time to close the door on hoping his family had made it through the water and the mud as the mountain gave way to gravity.  It was time to begin a new chapter and to close the door on the hurtful memories that kept him tethered to his past.

The great brute made his way slowly back towards the snowy land that had once welcomed him when he had so needed sanctuary after he was rendered all but a refugee from his old home.  He wondered if he would still be welcome after his short residence, knowing that his personal excuses for leaving were likely nothing that any herd leader wanted to hear.  The antlered stallion shook his head in an attempt to clear away the thoughts. If he had to find residence elsewhere, so be it.  He had little left to lose in the world – nearly all he had was already gone.  He was wary, and felt that it would be rude to waltz right back to the center of the Basin as if he had never left, so he remained at a respectful distance.  He was content to wait for the time being for he knew someone would be along shortly. 

-- C A L D E R --

tags:
image credit

open to anyone :)
Please tag Calder in all posts.
Force & magic are permitted but please check before inflicting severe and/or permanent damage.
Pixel by Sourful

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
rexanna
The days blurred together as I grew increasingly itchy to leave the Basin. However, the pregnancy had kept me bound to the mountains for quite some time until at least the child was born. My sides were wide and my weight bore down onto my joints in a bit of pain that screamed at me if I were to venture out too far. I learned that from my attempts to travel to the Steppe. So instead of going on adventures, I’d figured I’d make myself at least somewhat useful in finding things around the Basin to do, knowing that I would be increasingly sparse here once the child was old enough.

Stretching out my tired legs, I stepped out from my little cave and embraced the day as it seemed to come and go, weaving in and out of my memory as one long block of time. I figured perhaps I’d go and inspect the Sentinels like I had done so many times. It always reminded me of the time just after being part of the Basin, a lonely little Phantom that had no idea really how the Basin worked, with Arah gone and Thranduil as lead, I had no direction on where I should go. Now, things were different. I carried the child of the Haruspex and I had grown to be the lead of my rank, a thief. It was something to be proud of, but in my exhausted state I didn’t know how much I felt like flaunting my rank or pregnancy. At this point I just wanted things over with.

As I approached the large metal structures, I noticed a figure standing at the entrance. From the distance I could tell the creature carried a large set of antlers and I grew increasingly intrigued. Though by the contrast of the snow, it was hard to tell the separation between the beast and the land. So instead of stopping by the Sentinels like I had previously done, I moved further toward the gray creature. My golden and pale coat a stark warmth compared to the chill of the Basin, especially from the glow that pregnancy often gave. Once I finally reached the visitor, I smiled to him briefly. “Hello, welcome to the Basin. I’m Rexanna, and you are?” I questioned him, tilting my head softly. Blue eyes watching him with a curiosity as to why he was here and what he searched for.

"Talk."
Sweetie,
you had me.
image credits

@Calder
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Ming Yue Posts: 36
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 6 :: Ages in Frostfall
Danjah

It had been several days before the azurine fae had returned back to where Deimos had granted her refuge whilst her recovery took place. The Aurora Basin was much more than just an unknown place, it was absolutely non-existent in her map. All she knew of these lands was what she had come across on the day she had been helped by Rikyn to come to this territory. This was the north of Helovia and with that came the colder climates and strange lands. She still needed to come to terms with this place and familiarise herself.

But in the midst of her thoughts, Ming Yue was to be brought back to attention by that of two figures in the distance of this strange land. She came flower and soon it was clear to her what their appearances were: one light charcoal unicorn brute with pale ivory antlers and a multicoloured blanket of cremello and sun-dried hues with a varying black and white hue of tassles on a unicorn fae. One that was incredibly wide. Pregnant?

Ming Yue's pools averted from the pregnant fae and she studied the other creature, knowing from his stance that he was a stag. Her cool nature did not mean for her to pry in what could be a private conversation, but she sought company and the knowledge of fellow Basiners, and this was the only way she could do so. Picking up her lithe pillars she flowed gracefully along the terraria with her light features bouncing off what light there was in the Orangemoon season. Having not been a part of what just occurred, she had heard neither of them speak and when she came within two metre's distance of them she coughed politely, dipped her head in greeting in the hope the strange pair would see this as a friendly hello and began to speak,
"Hello, I do hope I'm not intruding. I am Ming Yue and not long become a part of the Aurora Basin..." Her orange pools darted from one to the other, "How do you do?" She let out a smile from her soft darkened velveteens and let her personality do the talking.

" . "

@Calder @Rexanna

Please tag Ming Yue in all threads! ♥

Kiki

The grey brute’s gaze crept carefully across the frozen landscape.  To some, such a vista would be off-putting.  But to Calder, the snow and ice was a profound comfort.  When the cool wind blew from the north, he hardly felt the bitter wind. The biting cold reminded him of the warm embrace of the family he had lost.  It was backwards and confusing, but memories were all Calder had left of them.  He treasured every moment of sensory memory – every pinprick of cold against warm flesh that triggered some flash of a moment long past in his mind.  This place - these stark, frozen mountains – held within them more promise than the greenest, most fertile pastures in Helovia.

He’s stirred from his perusal of the scenery by movement.  The stallion had known that his presence wouldn’t have gone unnoticed for long.  Borders were not left unguarded, especially those that were protected by enormous metal beasts like these lands.  Helovian’s were not a complacent people.  Calder dipped his head in polite greeting as the little golden mare – Rexanna – drew near.  ”Hello, Rexanna. I hope today finds ye well,” the stallion offered, politely.  He couldn’t help but wonder why this mare’s mate had allowed her to wander off on her own in her condition.  But one thing he had learned about Helovia is that more mare were independent like his sister rather than hiding behind the strength of stallions like most had done home on the mountain.  He still had so much to learn about this place…

Better he keep his thoughts and observations to himself instead of making an utter arse of himself in front of the Basin’s women.  And speaking of, he seemed to have drawn the attention of more than one of the Basin’s residents.  Now Rexanna’s coloring was strange enough to the grey stallion, but Ming Yue’s was almost beyond his comprehension.  He had never encountered a unicorn in such a color before. Calder liked to imagine he handled the situation rather smoothly though, dipping his head to the mare, and offering her a greeting as well. “Yer not intruding at all lass, I’ve only just come back and Rexanna’s just come to see what the fuss is about,” he said in the rolling, rhythmic voice of his.

“Good to meet ye both.  I’m Calder.” His bright blue eyes danced between the two – filled with curiosity. However he assumed that they’d probably want to know why he’d gone and shown up at their door, so to speak.

“I came to the Basin seasons ago, but was unable to stay because there was a chance my sister was here in Helovia and I went off looking for her.  I’ve nae found any trace of the lass, so there’s no use in searchin’ til my bones ache. It was time to come back here and give it an honest go.  Do ye think they’d have me back?”  He let out a soft huff as he finished before raising his eyes and offering the two mares a soft smile.  He wasn’t particularly proud of himself for picking a home and having to abandon it just as quickly, but it was the honest truth.  That had to be worth something. 

Right?  

-- C A L D E R --

tags: @Rexanna @Ming Yue 
image credit

Force & magic are permitted but please check before inflicting severe and/or permanent damage.
Pixel by Sourful

rexanna
Before the gray stallion could answer his name to me, he offered me a hello. Smiling to him, I nodded. “It is. It’s quite a beautiful day.” My voice filled the air before I noticed as a new figure stirred and came into the light. One that I had not met yet, but one that seemed quite exotic herself as well. I dipped my head in a hello to her in return to her own greeting. Then she spoke, chimes on the air while her orange eyes travelled between the two of us. I smiled to her briefly before the stag spoke up. I agreed with him silently as he said she was not intruding, head bobbing in a small motion, eyes trailing from the chocolate blue mare to the gray stallion once again.

Good to meet ye both. I’m Calder.

His accent was something that I wasn’t entirely familiar with, but something that allowed me to wonder about where he came from to get such an accent. I parted my lips slightly to begin speaking on asking why he had travelled to visit the Basin, but he seemed to know what was on my mind. He spoke of being a member seasons ago, but showed that he had much more interest in finding where his family resided. I could admire that, if I had family here. I would want to know where they were as well, but as he spoke of not finding his sister I let a small frown fall onto my face.

I’m sorry about not finding your sister, Calder. However, I don’t see why we wouldn’t welcome you back. I’m the lead Thief here, so we don’t need to wait for a Lead to arrive. Consider yourself to have a home here.” I paused, blue eyes dancing over to Ming Yue with a smile. “Ming Yue, I hope the Basin is providing everything you’re looking for.” Turning my cream head to face the antlered stallion once again. “I’m not sure how long ago it was since you’ve been here, but things have been changing. I could show you both around if you would like? Perhaps we could get to know each other and what rank might interest you?” I questioned, eyes dancing between the two of them – completely unsure if Ming had a rank either. I shifted my weight then, tail shifting gently along the icy ground. My barrel large and full of life and warmth in the icy kingdom I hoped we all could call home.

"Talk."
Sweetie,
you had me.
image credits

@Calder @Ming Yue , It's kinda all over the place so I apologize xD but I wanted to get it up for you guys :)

Outcast
Danjah

The clouded brute was far larger than he, his stature towering above her own lithe figure. But he was charming in a sense, with his words explaining his reasoning for being in the Basin's territory and excusing herself. His accent was strange to her, a hint of something she had never quite come across before. But the Riftian fae looked over his strange accent and answered to his words with her soft voice,
"I'm glad to hear it. I welcome you back, Calder"

She then listened to his story of how he came to return to Helovia and not just arrive in these lands. Helovia was an incredible place with so many creatures, and it appeared this was another one, Ming Yue came to the conclusion. Her lobes pricked forward as she listened intently, before Calder's question concluded his speech. The azurine fae took one step back with her neck lowered as she realised she did not have the authority to allow any creature into the Aurora Basin, and thus waited for Rexanna to speak.

She turned her attention quickly to Rexanna, the other fae in the conversation, her belly bulging and waited for her response to Calder. Her cool temperament did not judge Calder for originally leaving and thus felt it was only right he be re-accepted into his old herd, even if the last time was rather brief... And then she spoke to them both. Ming Yue once more admired her coat of multi-tones, noting just how pretty she was particularly around the cranium with her blackened markings. She nodded when Rexanna mentioned the brute's missing sister in an effort to show her own sorrow at him not being able to find her, having remained silent on that fact herself. The fae wished not to get involved.

And she accepted him within a heartbeat whilst also confirming her own status within the group which took Ming's interest. Lead thief? Waiting for her turn to speak, she opened up with a polite greeting to her in the hope of keeping the peace between the two dames, "Thank you, Rexanna, I am pleased to meet you. I never knew we had a lead Thief here so it is an honour to know that it is you," she continued, with so many questions running through her mind of hew new home, "I was asked by Deimos what ranks there were but I'm afraid I have forgotten. May I hear the ranks too?"

" . "

@Calder @Rexanna

Kiki

He was encouraged by the fact that he wasn’t immediately turned away after admitting that when he had come he had chosen his family of old over the heard that was supposed to become his new family.  Ties of old were hard to sever when coming to a new place such as this. “I appreciate that. Perhaps she’ll turn up here one day – I wouldn’t put it past her just to waltz in unannounced,” Calder smiled, truly appreciating Rexanna’s words of comfort and truly hoping his own were true. 

It seemed that his colorful companion was also a newcomer to the Basin.  He offered a sheepish smile to the vivid Ming Yue as his gaze flicked between her and Rexanna. “I’m afraid I remember little about ranks and such so please fill in where I miss the details.  Warriors, of course, though I’m not much of a warrior myself.  I can fight if I must, but I’ve not got much of a heart for war. I think I was told about healers and the craftin’ ranks as well,” he paused picking over his memories of a conversation many seasons past.  It was healing and crafting that stuck out to him most – moreso the latter than the former.  The idea of creating something out of nothing was very much in line with Calder’s own personal beliefs. He came from a place that was devout about finding the balance of things – between life and nature.

“And the thieves of course,” he said, with a smile towards Rexanna, “Though I doubt I’d be much help to ye, Miss Rexanna. I’m no very sneaky,” he said with a mischievous grin.  His knew well that he was likely leaving out important bits, and hoped Rexanna would fill his shortcomings.   Calder was eager to choose a rank and begin to immerse himself in herd life.  He was afraid if he allowed himself to linger, he would find himself ensnared in the past like he had been before. Amazing how the past was capable of such a thing, grabbing us by the ankles and takin’ folks prisoner. No. Calder had a mind to live in the present – to craft a new life for himself now taking only memories from the past with him into the future. He would not be a prisoner.

“I’d verra much like a look around and would like to hear of any changes, as I’m sure there have been many,” he said in the same rolling, rocky accent – looking between the two mares wondering if they’d both be interested.  He didn’t want to presume considering that Ming Yue was as new as he was, so it seemed, and Rexanna may not want to go wandering around the Basin as heavily pregnant as she was.

-- C A L D E R --

tags: @Rexanna @Ming Yue
image credit

okay. damn he babbles.
Pixel by Sourful

rexanna
I watched as Ming welcomed Calder, a smile playing on my ivory lips. As time passed and words exchanged, Ming caught my attention as she addressed me. I dipped my head in almost a playful type of bow before offering her a wink. “I know I don’t exactly look the part, but here I am.” A musical laugh escaped my throat. Turning my gaze back and forth between Calder and Ming, attention dragged back to Ming as she spoke of not knowing what the ranks were. Calder agreeing with her in being forgetful and I nodded, following along as he spoke to both Ming and I. As he finished briefly, I began to chime in. “We still have all of those ranks. Time Menders, which are our healers are led by Lena. Weavers, which are our crafters, are led by Johnny. He’s got quite the scent, you can’t miss that peppermint man.” A small laugh escaped me again. “Then we have our Warriors, who I’m afraid I don’t know who leads them, Thieves which are led by myself, and of course the Haruspex. That role is taken by Ashamin, his job is to speak with our God.” I nodded, speaking of the painted stallion fondly as his child grew within me.

Fluted ears perked to Calder as he spoke of wanting to join me and Ming around the Basin. I nodded with a bit of excitement billowing within my chest. “Great. These legs have been itching to move ever since this little one has started growing.” I smiled to the two of them before turning from the entrance, hoping that they would follow. I paused in my step just to be sure, swinging my heavy gold and ivory head to speak once more. “I’ll be a bit slow, but if you both bear with me, we can get through it.” I nodded as if to finish my words before beginning to step down from the Arch. The Sentinels looming overhead as I moved on, unsure entirely if they chose to follow. If not, then my next few words would fall on deaf ears. “I joined the Basin a little over a year ago, starting as a Phantom. Which is one of our lower Sneak ranks. We’re lacking in all departments lately, seeing as many of them have come and gone recently. We’re currently lead by Deimos, Hotaru, and Thranduil. Though I haven’t seen Thranduil around lately. Right after I joined, we had a large meeting that promoted the two of them to join Deimos as leads which caused a bit of a stir here. We lost a few people after that, but we’ve been working hard to replace our ranks with those willing. If any of you are curious about joining a rank, I’m sure we could accommodate. We’re always looking for more help.” A smile placed contently on my pale maw, pausing in both step and word in case anyone had any questions.

"Talk."
Sweetie,
you had me.
image credits

@Calder @Ming Yue

Outcast
Danjah
The sadness in the horned brute seemed to dissipate into the air as he evidently found comfort in Rexanna's words, and Ming Yue too felt compelled to feel more comfortable with the pair. Calder offered her a small smile over his frosted velveteens and she returned the gesture with a sweet smile. He was a friendly creature who had apparently been alone and missing for too long. Her lobes pricked forward in interest as she heard his silent plea to be reminded of the ranks, and Ming Yue was ready to listen to Rexanna.

His accent made his next sentence even funnier and the azurine fae just could not help but holla a little chuckle from her feminine chest, trying to imagine this rather large stag try to be sneaky and cunning. It just did not seem right.

Ming Yue caught onto the stranger's suggestion of exploring and lands, and she piped up almost immediately,
"I would not be much help with any changes in the Basin but I would like to explore myself, if you would like to do that?" Her pools opened up a window of opportunity for Calder. It would be good for Ming to at least have some idea of her homeland, even if she did not yet feel like it actually was.

Her attention was then quickly drawn back to Rexanna with her beautifully coloured pelt over her pregnant bodice. Even in pregnancy she could catch eyes, so Ming wondered (rather ungracefully) how easily she had captured the father of her child's eye. But the fae soon felt rather bad as her humour shone through and Ming Yue smiled and nodded in a friendly reply to her words as Rexanna laughed sweetly. Then to her relief, the female thief explained the ranks. Time menders, weavers, warriors, thieves and haruspex. What a collidascope of ranks with interesting names and by the sounds of this Johnny interesting smells. She wondered how a creature would ever be able to smell like a peppermint...

Unsurprisingly to Ming Yue, whilst remaining silent as she thought on the different ranks that accompanied being part of the Aurora Basin, Rexanna agreed to walk with them. She already did not seem like the type to slow down even in her most important hour. Ming Yue heard her and she replied with a soft voice, "You bear quite the burden, I would not even think of apologising about being slow. You take the lead and I shall walk at your pace, Rexanna." Her pools opened up friendship to the fae and Ming Yue after all did not want to feel left out. Keen to listen and follow, she hesitated in her spot with the adrenaline already within her daggers to move.

Rexanna came to explain her being here, and it was interesting to say the least. How she moved from one rank to another and Ming Yue instantly felt compelled to speak up at the request of filling in ranks of the herd, "If you are short in supply I would be happy to become more integrated into the herd," her pools searched Rexanna's icy blue hues for confirmation that she could be accepted. After hesitating, she piped up one more time with uncertainty in her tones, "I must admit though, I do not know what I could be..."

" . "

@Calder @Rexanna