the Rift

[OPEN] mad mare's return

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee
Aurelia</style>
God- the fuck -damnit, she thought as she realized where she had wandered to. The familiar sight of the wide, bendy, river paired with somewhat-yellow fall grass alerted her of where she was. The sun seemed further than ever as it loomed behind billows of thick clouds. Aurelia ventured here often, lingering long a lost puppy. What was here that continuously drew her back? 

She stood still as the chill of Orangemoon induced shivers along her body. She shook so much that was sure even her skeleton rattled within her gold and cream hide. A quick snort left her tapered muzzle as her oddly colored orbs flicked upwards to peer at the eerie golden moon. All the moon did was remind Aurelia of her past- a thing which she sought dearly to forget. It was as if the Moon Goddess herself was watching the golden babe, and that thought alone made her hair stand on end.

She shook her head, as if the simple action would rid her mind of those haunting thoughts, and trudged forwards. She moved slowly, her gait a graceful promenade. Though her movements exuded finesse and beauty, maybe would believe that on the inside she was a wretched beast, born to torment and harm those around her.

The smell of smoke clings to her fur, though it is not a stench. Aurelia wears the faded smell of smoke more like a perfume than anything else. She knows that anyone in the area will know she is here, and though they may or may not be able to identify her by her scent alone, they will know someone is here. 

And that was okay. She wouldn't mind company tonight.

Her mind played memories of horses she used to love; horses who she used to seek out just because she enjoyed them so much. Now? She couldn't recall anyone. Everyone's faces were just blurs and the time she had spent with them forgotten. She had tried so hard to forget everyone, and it had worked. Few she remembered, fewer she would recognize now.

talk talk talk talk 
oh, tell me, what's the matter?</style>

image credits

@Tembovu and anyone else <3

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Hearth Posts: 22
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 8 (FF) HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Locks
Hearth
Little light, little light,
How far will you go tonight?
Be it far or be it near, tonight I'll never fear.

I have been here before many a time in a sense, if a shadow could be asked what it sees as it follows beneath me, but I claim a familiarity with it nonetheless. I know the bend of the river and the sweetness of its waters, the climb of the rocks and the prolific bounty of plants in its fields. Even in the chill of the yawning days before the freeze, I find it a peaceful place and a comfort to be be in these surroundings but I feel my own internal defenses hardening for the fast approaching everfrost, just as the plants who are strong enough turn to hibernation. Already my ruddy coat has thickened some, blurring the quality of my markings yet easily staving off the chill of the lackadaisical breeze that blows across these yellowed grasses, puppeteering  their dead stalks to its unsympathetic will. I watch the heavy steam of my breath condense in the air and flow wistfully way to nothing, purposefully exhaling long and steady to prolong the effect for my amusement before returning to my task of digging roots to satisfy the dimwitted hunger brewing in my gut.

Yet, as I bend my neck toward the earth I am distracted by the scent of something that did not belong in this air.  Smoke. I pause at this, perplexed as I consider its source, thinking my senses mistaken or somehow fooled for it was very faint, as if barely brought into life. It haunted the air all around, drifting downwind from the breeze. I had only to look upwind to draw upon the sight of another of my winged kind not far away, a luminous form bannered in white and silver and flourished in gold. It were almost surreal, this sight of a radiant mare and the phantom brew of smoke, but I know the truth of things and knew the look of flesh and bone when it was near, even if the smell of the air attempted to deceive me. No pale sliver of superstition could cower me into believing I had discovered a revenant or other such haunt however their appearance might inspire such thoughts.

Curious, I chose to approach the luminary one and I bow my head lightly in greeting, noting the vast menagerie and complexity of her markings. Perhaps it is the smell of smoke and the intensity of her coloration but the mare reminds me of fire, not unlike myself. But where I was like the glow of the flame in the darkness, she was the gleam of daylight between clouds.   

" You carry a strange scent about you." I say a bit absently, caught in my studies. " You smell of smoke when there is none. Why?"It does not occur to me to think of it as an odd thing to ask, rather I think it ordinary to express myself as so.

"Talking"
@Aurelia
OOC: Hope you don't mind!

vaya on flickr
suicidecrew | larfsalot
on deviantart
  • Permission granted to harm Hearth and use magic against her, but withhold from dismemberment and death.

• Also, please tag Hearth in Threads!

Faeanne Posts: 61
Outcast
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3hh :: 2 Years :: Birdsong
TierRen

Faeanne

Sending Stolen Stars Back to the Sky

"You carry a strange scent about you. You smell of smoke when there is none. Why?" I spread my wings to their full expanse before allowing the fire in my veins to leap free. I smile as my fire dances on my feathers. "Because I have magic." Now that I have shown off I am ready to go on with my night. I have not even turned to face the voice in the night. For all I know it could have been the detached voice of a spirit but it is apparent that it has seen me. Since I am not interested in the small talk that comes with meeting a stranger I don't look for a body. I will not welcome whoever it is closer with eye contact. Not tonight.

Memories of my birth mother are like stars. I know that they must be there but they exist just out of my reach. But I do remember the moment that she and I discovered my magic together. "Fae! Fae, you have fire magic, darling!" The words still ring in my ears as though they were said only moments ago. I had made my mother proud in that moment. Even if for only a moment I had done it. It had not been enough to make her stay. But something is at least more than nothing. And that is why my magic is so dear to me. It is why I find such delight in displaying it for others. My magic and the stars that rest on my coat are all that set me apart from a constantly churning, ever changing, sea of faces. Even to my mother it had been all that stood out. I remember being born with another, a twin, I wonder if he had been more outstanding. Had she remained in his life?

My hooves crunch on the ground whenever I step away from the spot where I had used my magic. A frost stretches lazily in patches scattered about. Coats grow thicker. Breaths swirl around the mouths they were birthed from. Helovia is preparing to slip into Frostfall.

@Aurelia and @Hearth

image credits here

please tag Fae in all posts
link to thread tracker

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty

A strangely static discomfort had settled into the Elephant. Though it was a welcome change from the looming depression and red rage that had plagued him prior to the Turtle’s bells and Tree’s gifts. The world, though not as filled with sadness or anger, lacked the luster and interested it had held for him when he first came to Helovia. It was as if the colors were not as bright, magic not as inspiring, flavors not as delicious.

Never had he felt this way before… so lost. He was so accustomed to purpose: revenge and destruction, traveling to Helovia, joining and building a herd. But now? Now he stood in the Thistle Meadow once again. A place that had come to haunt the great stallion. A place of fraudulent peace and shattering sentiments.

He stood in the trees, silent and looming in chilled shadows, at the edge the Meadow. Eyes of hard cobalt studied the sea of drying grass— perhaps subconsciously finding it akin to his old lands. Strangely (masochistically), he had recently begun finding himself longing for Dorobo, the Land of Plains. It was foreign, this feeling of homesickness. But, as the mind is wont to do, his memories of the place were becoming romanticized. The warmth, the sway of tall, dry grasses in the wind. Downpours of warm, fresh rain in the wet season— soaking the entire land and it’s inhabitants. Nights of fires and drums, pounding hooves and dancing…

Slowly ebbing were the memories of betrayal and death, of lies and deceit. Years spent mixing and ingratiating himself with greedy, corrupt men that sent soldiers so easily to their death— all for the sake of more; more power, more resources, more greed. His mind carefully, tentatively, was letting the image of the beast fade into past oblivion. Maybe because he had clung to it so tightly when seeking revenge, and now he sought to bleed out the poison…

So, it was his disconcertingly heavy heart that paused his large hoof mid-step the moment he laid eyes on the shivering, pale gold pegasus. His immediate instinct had been to approach her, provide his colossal warmth to the ivory mare of golden splashes. But his mind— so weighted— hesitated. It knew his own skin would be drawn to the obvious silken shimmer of hers. It knew his nostrils would flare, taking in whatever feminine scent she gave him. And, after the tree, his battered soul just wasn’t ready.

In that half-breath of selfishness (which sent a spear of self-deprecation prodding his inner beast), another winged woman approached. She was marked with the stripes of the Southern Forest in Dorobo. His hovering hoof fell to the ground, weighted this a memory. He had been leading the advance on the southern forests when the fire had burnt their bodies… The striped and primitive tribal warriors had burned Mara and Faxr alive…

Shaking his head, it was these thoughts that plagued him (gone were the romantic memories of Dorobo) as swift and long strides carried him towards the two winged mares. It was indecent of him to not provide some kind of warmth to the mare. After all, despite hating the cold, he had plenty of his own heat to share. He just barely caught the end of the striped mare’s question, before another woman appeared— what of smoke? This one also winged (was this a meeting of beautiful pegasus mares he was intruding on?). She flared her impressive wings, creating fire beneath them— and she does not even turn to look at the two mares to whom she speaks.

His brows raised as he finally arrived, great bulk coming to halt near the shivering woman— perhaps closer than he usually would have, to share some of his radiant heat. A brief thought of the flaming elephant crosses his mind— but no, that beast was too wild, too angry, to produce now. “Golden lady, you are cold,” his low voice rumbled without pretense, “Perhaps this woman of fire-wings would be inclined to provide some heat?” Dark blue eyes flicker from the impassive face of the golden to the disinterested face of the (he now realized young) mare.

And, as his mind had predicted, the scent of the woman drifted into his nostrils— but it was not of feminine perfume. It was of smoke and ash. Gaze flickers towards the striped mare, that must have been what her earlier question was asking. He paused, wondering if he had missed introductions. “I am Tembovu, of the Edge,” his deep baritone rolled, deliberately leaving out his rank for the same reason as his earlier discomfort… he wasn’t quite sure.

ooc| Hello, welcome to my novel. Hah. And omg 3 gorgeous pegasus mares. How is he going to control himself?! XD
@Aurelia @Hearth @Faeanne

Please tag Tembovu.