the Rift

Escape Artist

Elspeth Posts: 40
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 7 years
Sarah

When the chance had come to escape, I almost missed it because I was so shocked. For the past year I had been traded and bartered for - a collection from my herd being sold as slaves. For labour, if we were lucky and for the most part I had been. This was the third time I had been bartered away, the faces around me changing but the manners always the same. I knew enough about herbs to make me useful as a healer. Sometimes that meant they kept me away from the other mares intended for slavery, the stallions that had been beaten into submission, and today was one of those days.

My guard had gone to help deal with one of the other captives that was causing a fuss and I was alone. For the first time in a year I was entirely alone and it made me catch my breath. Hesitating just for a moment before I kicked myself for wasting that moment.

I ran.

I half-stumbled a couple strides out but by then it was too late, I had to commit to the choice I made.

My legs were shaking and my heart was pounding so loudly I couldn't hear anything else as I fled into the forest. I couldn’t tell if they were shouting after me, shouting orders. I feared those with magic, the ones that could shoot arrows and lightning after me without having to chase me themselves. It was a small band this time, they couldn’t afford to send many after me out of risk that the other captives might escape as well, and that would be my saviour.

I took off into the forest, weaving through the trees and not caring where I went so long as I could get away. Branches whipped and scratched against my cream coloured sides as I weaved but for all the stinging I would not stop. It was hard to hope that I would find somewhere safe but so long as I evaded my pursuer - for I was sure that there was someone coming after me - I could at least be free. Given the circumstances, I wasn’t about to be picky.

I didn’t know when I passed from one land into another, the forest still looked the same to me and as much as my lungs were burning I couldn’t stop. Wouldn’t stop until I collapsed or was captured. Because, I realized in my flight, that I was so far away from everything that I knew that I simply wouldn’t know when it was safe to stop.

Fate, however, had other plans.

My breaths had become ragged and painful and I was coated in sweat. Even though I had been forced to slow my pace I still had no intentions of stopping. And that was when the precious piece of cloth I wore in my tail snagged on a branch of an evergreen tree. The snag jerked me backward, I surely would have lost it as well as most of my auburn tail hairs if I had still been running at breakneck speeds. Several of the long strands had already been pulled out, as it were, and along with the piece of cloth my tail was hopelessly tangled in the branches. “Son of a bitch!” I shouted at the trees, at everything, panic setting in as I tried to jerk my tail free but the cloth in it had looped itself resolutely over a branch and the more I moved forward, the more thoroughly I was getting it stuck on there. “You have got to be fucking kidding me. Now?” Wild golden eyes flashed around as I try to see if anyone is coming, if I’ve just snagged myself on a damn tree and gotten myself captured again. My body was trembling with fear, with exhaustion, but the knot would not loosen and I could not bring myself to break it. I was stuck.

open to any!
[Image: 5706a739b3d7b]
please tag Elspeth in all replies

Caenan Posts: 49
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 4 Years (Ages in OrangeMoon) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
TierRen
"It's the heart and the soul and the body and the brain
Driving me insane
But the wind and the land and the fire and the rain
Always stay the same"
-Roll With the Wind

Sometimes just as things feel as though they are coming to an end they reveal themselves as the beginning. Caenan thinks that fate likes it that way. Fate is a trickster who gathers rather immense joy from watching her subjects try to unravel their life threads that she tangles. That isn't to say that she isn't a master spinner. None can match her masterpieces. Fate spins tapestries of epic tales, of dashing heroes, brave damsels, and she threads torn lives back together with love. Or those same torn lives are pulled back together with purpose. Purpose is what was saving Caenan. He had not even known he was broken but to feel as whole as he did now he surely had not been complete before.

The stallion is no longer an Outcast. It is no longer only the sea that he belongs to. Now he belongs to many. And it is now his purpose to protect all of those he belongs to. Caenan wants to protect them from events as mundane as a chipped hoof and to shield them from things extreme as the great evils. Whatever may come he is a Protector.

There was a time whenever such a thing would have sent his pulse racing in agitation. Before the stallion's priorities had been more self centered. It had taken what he considered a brush with death to realize that putting himself and the sea before all else had left him with nothing else. Caenan would never be a saint. He would always be riddled with moral flaws and never would he be a perfect gentleman. But he would do well enough to make a life for himself. Caenan would be respectable enough to steal away the love of others.

Dirty words fall from a pretty little mouth and it makes Caenan's own expression upturn briefly. He already knew that the mare who brought the words into existence was sure to be something worth investigating. What a blessing that would be. Being in the Threshold, so far from his seashore, was not something he found to be enjoyable but it was one of his duties to the Edge. Perhaps this would be a recruitment to turn things around for him. However his expression falls whenever he gets close enough to her to take in her current state. Whenever the smile dropped so did his usual playful nature.

"Shhh," The pirate approaches the mare slowly. He does so for not only her sake, the last thing he wants is for her to lash out at him. He would be willing to bet that she has quite the bite. "Ya are okay now." Caenan walks straight past her to attempt to free her tail. "All that will be lost is a few strands of hair," He would not be able to say the same if the stallion were to come across what had caused her such fear. "I am Caenan and this is Helovia." His stance is rigid and emerald eyes scan the Threshold watching for the approach of anyone else. "Ya are in my home now. No harm will come to you here." His eyes flicker back to her and soften briefly. There is a desire to know more of her but first he will make sure that she is safe. Caenan won't allow any villains to pass the Threshold. His feeling of protectiveness has extended itself far beyond himself and even further past the Edge's borders.

@Elspeth

Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Coding by Schwartze | Image
[Image: caenan_pixel_by_danjahmouse-d9wbjhj.gif]

Zandora Posts: 85
Outcast atk: 7.0 | def: 10 | dam: 3.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 HH :: 7 years HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Evara :: Black Leopard :: None ShadowMare
Zandora
Yes, dear, I'm smiling
Inside I'm dying

Zandora had decided to take a trip away from the basin. With her belly swelling with each day, the vixen realized she would have to leave the basin now if she wanted to return back to the icy mountains in time. It wasn't a good idea to leave the safety of the frozen borders and sentinels, but the arabian could not pace within the mountains anymore, she needed freedom. Evara seemed happier too, the black leopard had become increasingly curious about the world of Helovia and Zandora wanted to show the leopard all that she could. The stiffening of the furry creature on her back caused Zandora to pause, turning her head to see if her bonded was alright. Evara seemed to catch the scent of a few equines before she did, the wonder in the companion's jade eyes begging Zandora to go after the aroma. Laughing, the black pushed through the woods to settle upon a mare and a stallion.

Purple eyes studied the scene, frustration and fear easily riddled through the cream's expression. The other man was bay, a single curved horn sprouting from his cranium. By his words, Zandora learned that the cream was the newest addition to the wilds of Helovia, and the bay was merely another recruiter in the threshold. Taking slow steps she made her appearance known, a small smile melting on onyx lips. A searing pain shot through her belly, the baby stirring with all this movement and traveling. Grimacing, she ignored the pain as best she could, looking towards the horned mare as Zandora spoke to her. "He is right, Helovia will protect you. Are you okay dear?" She asked, concerned with her well-being. It seemed that whatever was growing inside of Zandora had made her less selfish, her worry for the foreign mare real and true. "I am Zandora, from a herd called Aurora Basin. If you are in need of protection or settlement, I can easily lead to our herd, I would hate to leave you out here in the cold. I'd be joyous to help." She offered with soft and honeyed chords. Pausing, she let her soak in all the was happening, for the black had been here before and she could not deny the threshold's overwhelming abilities.

"If you are not ready, I could show you around Helovia too." She said as well, wishing to welcome the mare to Helovia with good vibes, anything but scaring her away. "Welcome to Helovia."

"Talk?"

OCC: @Elspeth
[Image: 56a075b49df35]
No restrictions on things that can happen to Zandora, please tag in first posts only.

Calder Posts: 23
Absent Abyss atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 6 (Birdsong) HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Kiki
calder
Hold back the river, so I
Can stop for a minute and be by your side
He hadn’t been back to this place in some time.  He returned not long after his arrival only to search for his sister, but after his unsuccessful venture he couldn’t bring himself to return when it became evident that he was alone here. The unicorn let out a distinctly un-manly sigh at the thought, but pressed on. Perhaps this time there’d be some sign of her.  He knew it was long past time to accept the fact that he was likely the only one who had escaped the mountain that day. 

He moved with little grace through the trees, paying little attention to where his feet fell. Perhaps it was a reflection of his rather downtrodden mood.  However something caught his attention and drew the great stallion to a halt.  It was little but a blur through the trees – but a color of cream and red and brown that didn’t belong among the greenery of the forest.  And then a stream of curses erupted from the shape.  Calder had never heard such language from a lass! It was impressive. Truly. But he wondered what could draw such a reaction from a mare. 

Calder was wary when he came upon the scene.  He craned his antlered head in the direction that the mare had come from, to see if perhaps someone or something was still in pursuit of the woman.  The very thought caused his blood to boil.  Calder didn’t think kindly of those who were violent towards mares.  It brought images back of the brute who had dared touch his wee sister.  His sister could handle herself, for the most part, and had put off the brute, but Calder had seen fit that the monster knew verra well that he would not be welcome on the mountain again after such behavior. 

Two others had already arrived, and one was in the process of untangling the woman from her prison of branches.  Calder kept a respectful distance and kept his head lowered as he didn’t want to intimidate the clearly frightened mare.  It was then he took a moment to truly look at her and he couldn’t help but recognize the fact that she was a bonnie little thing.  Even there shaking and frightened with twigs in her hair and secrets in her eyes, Calder was interested to know more about the mare.  He also had an irrational need for vengeance for the woman.  Who has wronged this mare? What had they done? And how could he hold them responsible?  Shaking away the thoughts, Calder’s voice finally rumbled to life. 

“Caenan speaks true, you’re safe. Dinna worry, ye can stop and catch your breath,” he said, in his best attempt to be soothing.  Calder then took the time to nod a short greeting to both Zandora and Caenan before his blue eyes flicked back to the mare of cream and brown.

“Now you’ve got yourself untangled, lass – Is there something that one or both of us can help ye with? You were running like the hounds of hell themselves were chasin’ ye.” Calder tried to keep the mood light, but he was equal parts concerned and curious.  However he did have the expectation that there was likely more to this mare’s story than she was willing to tell at this moment. 

“Is sanctuary ye be looking for? And a place to get your wounds tended to, perhaps?” The stallion asked, while gently nodding towards the gashes on the mare’s cream-colored sides.  None of her wounds looked to be particularly deep, for which Calder was thankful, but they were enough to stain her pale coat.  Regardless, he was certain the healers could sort her out if she wished it. He figured he may as well echo the purple mare’s offer, for whatever it would be worth to the frightened creature.  Hopefully it would provide some reassurance.

“Like Zandora offered, ye’d be welcome in the Basin even if ye just need a place for a rest and to get your wits about ye for a bit. Ye’d be safe there.  I’d assume Caenan may have a place for ye as well.” 

He paused for a moment, before finally adding, “I’m Calder.  What’s your name, lass?”

image credits

@Elspeth
Please tag Calder in all posts.
Force & magic are permitted but please check before inflicting severe and/or permanent damage.
Pixel by Sourful

Absent Abyss
Sarah

I was approached, but it wasn’t not from the direction I expected. Instead of the figure coming from behind, from the direction I had dashed through the forest, he had come from the other. As though just beyond the reaches of this forest there was civilization. My golden-brown eyes were rimmed with white, another clear display of my fear - if it wasn’t already obvious. Later, I would feel embarrassed for my state to which using the word ‘dishevelled’ would be a kindness but at the time there was no room for embarrassment - only fear.  

My first instinct was to resent the hushed tones that I was being treated with, as though I was a lost child. When the first approached, I stilled for a moment at his words before trying once more to work my way free from the branches - my ears laid flat against my skull at his voice. What did he know? I watched him with wild eyes as he moved towards my tail - vile thoughts raging through my head as I feared the worst. But with a couple pulls and the sharp sting that meant a few of my hairs had indeed been lost, he managed to free my tail from the offending branches. “Thank you.” I manage to get those scratchy words out as I scramble away but even those few steps exhaust me in my current state and I realize that I’ve run out of adrenaline to keep me going. Even if there was a new threat here, I no longer had the ability to escape it. But I could shift my stance so that I was looking straight at him.

My heart felt as though it was pounding in in my throat and I cannot think of a response, his manners and words baffle me after a year in captivity. He was young, a bay creature with a curious curved horn. In my home, antlers are the norm but I had seen those without horns and those with a single one before, they were just rare. And then two more were joining, with each emergence from the forest my heart rate picked back up so that I thought I might burst from it. The first was a mare, with the strangest hair I have ever seen. Purple, like the sky at dusk. She asked me if I was alright but I ignored the question and the answer that came with it.

Next, adding to the chorus of soothing voices was a tall beast of a stallion. Despite his size, he took every precaution to make himself seem unthreatening and it was with annoyance that I realized it was working. The rolling accent, combined with the safe distances that he and the others were keeping, was aggravatingly calming. They all speak with a slightly different accent, which I find strange. Especially since Zandora and Calder claimed to be from the same herd.

The same message was repeated by all of them. Dozens of scenarios were racing through my mind - almost all of them terrible. My heart was starting to settle its pace but my breathing is still ragged. I’ve been standing still for several minutes now but I couldn’t seem to catch it completely, not yet. Each breath burnt my throat and I had to hack a painful cough before I could respond to them. I finally managed, my normally smooth voice hoarse and cracked. “How can I know that?” I looked to all three of them in turn - all kind, if strange, faces that were gazing back at me. I started to tremble again but I’m fighting it now, wishing that I would stop acting so weak in front of these strangers. “How do I know that… Helovia.” I tested the word out, the pitch of my voice rising just a little on the last syllable and forming it into a question to ensure that I got it right. “Is safe?” They were asking me to trust them. Was it common in this land to approach a stranger and offer home and safety?

I took a step back from them, furious at myself because my honey-coloured eyes had started to shine with tears and I stubbornly willed them to stop. My legs almost gave way from that single step so I did not take another. And besides, I cannot go back from where I’m from. There was only forward to go. “Can any of you swear that I’ll be safe here?” I know I haven’t given them my name, I haven’t answered any of their questions, but I needed mine answered first.

sorry if the tense changes randomly in this post, I tried to catch all of them! She couldn't make up her mind on how she wanted to narrate

@Caenan

Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 4 Years (Ages in OrangeMoon) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
TierRen
Driving me insane
Always stay the same"
-Roll With the Wind

"You are welcome." Caenan's own eyes of emerald widened whenever her golden ones locked on him. Even in her current state she was daring. "You are a fighter." A soft chuckle came from his lips and softened the tense air around the stallion.

Caenan stood quietly as the others came. His eyes protectively remained on the mare. It upset him to see her so fearful. He almost wished that she would tell him who and what had happened to her so that he could hunt each down and make them pay. He wished that Tilney had shown himself at this moment rather than the one that Dahlia had chosen to enter into Helovia; this mare was more deserving of the cloak the other stallion had so generously offered.

Caenan started to swear to her that safety would automatically be hers but to do so would be reckless. No matter how badly he wanted her to there was no guarantee that the mare would follow him home and it would be reckless of him to send her off with a head filled with tall tales of a land filled with no worries. "Helovia is a strange land." Caenan was not a word weaver and found it frustrating to try to present her with a string of words that would not send the mare off to search for another place. "Magic is all over. Most are good."

To illustrate his words he used his own newfound magic. A young apple tree only knee high was Caenan's focus. He aged it until its branches reached over the group and fruit appeared on its branches. It took a terrible amount of effort and the stallion was surprised that he didn't break a sweat but he did succeed. Reaching a lower branch he plucked an apple down and offered it to the mare. Apples were out of season and he hoped the sweet snack would relax the mare, "My magic is temporary. I am new at using it so I don't know how long it will last. If the rest of you want an apple I would grab it now."

Caenan grabbed one for himself and took a bite before going on. "There is still darkness that lurks in our lands though." Caenan smiled at her, "But Helovians are tough and there is not much that we cannot do. That is how I can be sure that you will be safe." Oh how he wanted to cast the tears from her eyes and replace them with the sparkle of a smile. "I know it may not be what you want to hear right now but you would be safest if you made friends and involved yourself in a herd." He knew that all too well. And with that Caenan went quiet allowing the mare her space. He wanted to tell her of his home but he did not want to overwhelm her.

@Elspeth @Calder @Zandora

Zandora
Yes, dear, I'm smiling
Inside I'm dying

It was clearly recognized that this mare was a wreck, full of fear, and it was so very obvious. Zandora wasn't quite sure what to do, the only comforting bone she had in her body was growing along with the child inside of her. The bay stallion spoke first, pupiless eyes watching the two faces as he explained that Heloiva could grant no guarantees(which was right). After all, this was life they were speaking about, and no matter how badly, how much you needed safety and security, the darkness of the world always seeped in. There was no running, if this mare would understand this, accept that there are cruelties in this world, she'd be so much happier. "He is right, herds are where you are going to be the most optimally watched for and protected. I myself am a soldier, and it is my duty to protect those of my herd. You will not need to worry, if you would allow me to show you the Basin, you most assuredly would find a true home, one of protection and safety." She said then, trying to calm the mare down the best she could.

It was then that Caenan did something particularly foolish but amazing at once. Zandora watched with curious eyes as a small tree stretched and twisted into a trunk, ripe red apples bursting in the Orangemoon. She was tempted to grab one, but she could not trust the stallion or risk the life of her baby. Her horned head then turned back to the cream mare, searching for fear with the realization that Helovia was a land of magic. She felt bad for the mare, Zandora was sure that if anything started to make sense, it surely didn't now. Zandora would be overwhelmed too, being thrust into a world that is not your own isn't particularly something that is easy to process.

The bay spoke again, words warning her of the dangers of Helovia. When he finished, a warmth washed over Zandora as she let soothing tones whisper through her tones. "You know that Helovia is safe because somehow you made it here, and I believe that is not accident. You know that it is safe because you are surrounded by equines who only wish you the best, who will protect you even without knowing much. Look at me dear, I am pregnant and at my most defenseless but I am still completely untouched. You can know Helovia is safe, if not by my words, but by your observations." She said then, her words laced with reassurance and calms.

"Talk?"

OCC: @Elspeth
No restrictions on things that can happen to Zandora, please tag in first posts only.

Kiki
calder
“I wish I could make ye that promise, lass. But I canna do it. None of us can.” He truly wished that he could – wished that he could chase the demons from her eyes.  But he knew better.  Reality had a tight grip on the dappled stallion.  His natural propensity to be protective had kicked into overdrive at the sight of the frightened little lass, so he continued.

“However ye need not be scairt while I’m with ye – while any of us are with ye.” He added the group designation quickly, not meaning to be rude.  His eyes flicked to both the bay stallion and the mare of black and violet whom hailed from the homeland that he had chosen not so long ago.  He was thankful to have run across such good company.  He had heard that not all crossing the Threshold were so lucky and he’d certainly not mind the opportunity to speak to either of them outside the context of the threshold since right now the cream colored lass seemed to demand all of his attention. 

Calder was still getting accustomed to the idea of magic himself.  His ancestors in his homeland had supposedly possessed some magical ability, but it had been lost over time.  The magic had been gone from his herd for centuries by the time the mountain tore itself apart.  Perhaps if his herd were still endowed with such abilities the fate of their home would have been different.  Not that it was anything worth dwelling over.  Still, watching the ease of which equines embraced and used magic here was still foreign.  It was probably obvious to the others as well as he watched Caenan pull apples from the newly-grown tree.  However, Calder couldn’t bring his feet to move towards the apples despite how tempting they were, hanging there like beacons of pure sin. His hesitation still won out in the end. Abashed by what could possibly be perceived as disrespect, Calder decided to politely decline, “Appreciate the offer Caenan, thank ye.”  

He waited for the others to finish speaking before adding his own piece, again doing his best not to overwhelm the lass and not simply repeat all the truths that had already been said.  He turned his bright blue eyes to the frightened mare and offered her what he hoped was a reassuring smile.

“While it is true that there are dangers here like in any place, you will not be facin’ them alone if that’s what ye choose. However ye are free to do that now – ye control your own fate here in Helovia, lass. You’re free to do as you please. I am nae from Helovia originally. It’s a confusin’ place sometimes,” It took everything the big grey unicorn had not to let his eyes wander over to the apple tree as he spoke, “But as these fine folk have told ye there’s good here too. Lots of it.” He finished, wondering if she'd feel a little more comfortable  - perhaps even comfortable enough to give her name.

Freedom had been a difficult concept for Calder to tackle upon arriving here. He had lived in a sheltered, structured herd his entire life.  Now the possibilities were endless. 

image credits

@Elspeth
Force & magic are permitted but please check before inflicting severe and/or permanent damage.
Pixel by Sourful

Absent Abyss
Sarah

They were all strangers but I wanted them to reassure me, I wanted to hear promises from all three that Helovia was safe and that I would know what it was to have a home again. They had all stayed here, after all, for whatever reason. I wasn’t sure if I trusted them but I was so tired, I didn’t know if I had the strength to find somewhere else to go. No, I definitely did not have the strength. Standing still was helping but my adrenaline was fading away with each passing moment and I feared that I might collapse then and there in front of them all. And when I woke up?

But no promises come forward, just apologies that they couldn’t. There was a moment when it was working, their reassurances - the promise that I didn’t have to be scared while they were with me - soothed me. That moment did not last long, however, as well intentioned as the gesture might have been.

I flinched away from the magic that Caenan used, ears flattened and a strangled scream managed the work of any words to convey my alarm. My golden eyes widened and I took a few steps backward until I felt the needles of a tree scrape along my back signalling that I had once again backed myself into a tree. I shook my head as politely as I could when an apple was offered to me, the calm I had felt moments ago gone and leaving me cold and trembling one more in its wake. I would have scolded him myself if I hadn't been so surprised. Magic! He seemed kind enough, he truly did, but it was too much. Wild thoughts of poisoned apples raged in my head and are not helped by the fact that neither Zandora nor Calder take him up on the offer.

I was quickly realizing that my only options were to go back or to go forward - so I needed to decide whether what waited for me on the other side of the forest was better than what waited for me here.

The turning point at that moment came from the purple mare. My fear became less sharp - in fact, my entire body softened - at the mention of Zandora’s pregnancy. There was no single emotion that could be picked out of me then - sadness for the foal I had lost, a fond longing at the idea that I could have it again. If she was pregnant and wandering about alone and had not been pestered by brigands, then my question was answered. They all spoke of safety in  numbers and I understood that but the freedom to be able to walk around on my own helped to sway my heart.

I returned to my previous spot, before Caenan’s magic spooked me, and attempt a gracious smile at them all. It was hardly anything, a few moments of peace could not completely erase everything, but it was a smile.  For I was thankful for their kindness, after all. And if nothing else, I reasoned with myself, if I found somewhere to rest up I could flee before becoming captive once more. “My name is Elspeth.” Normal formalities and manners had been forgotten for the time, but if I had thought to add it - it was a pleasure to meet them all.

And then I looked to Calder, recalling now one of the questions he had asked earlier, and thinking maybe I could get through this if they helped me. And if Caenan kept his magic quiet. “I am seeking sanctuary. What… what are your homes like?”

@Caenan
[Image: 5706a739b3d7b]
please tag Elspeth in all replies

TierRen
Driving me insane
Always stay the same"
-Roll With the Wind

Caenan wrinkled his nose at their reactions. Perhaps he had only looked forward to someone to share the excitement of having magic with. His ego had desired some stroking; especially by the pretty newcomer. “But as these fine folk have told ye there’s good here too. Lots of it.” Caenan turned his eyes from Calder to his apple and sighed before taking a bite. Yes. There was plenty of good in Helovia but where was the fun? The stallion had a sour taste in his mouth and he was not sure that it came from the apple. It was more likely the flavor of a deflated ego.

“My name is Elspeth.” Looking back up Caenan turned his eyes to the mare who had only just given her name. He cocked his head and watched her closely; eyes narrowed by the weight of his thoughts. The pirate wondered what she had gotten herself into. To be so fearful of everything and to be so slow to give her name; was she a sought after criminal that had fled into the Threshold, only giving her name once she knew they did not know her? Caenan was a pirate himself, so he casted no judgement upon her, he was only curious.

“I am seeking sanctuary. What… what are your homes like?” "The World's Edge," Caenan hated recruiting. It was monotonous. The same questions. The same answers.
'Where am I?'
Hell; you are in Hell. Void of any fun.
'What is your herd like?'
Trees dance and the butterflies sing in choirs with the birds. Follow me back and I will show you.

Caenan laughed dryly at his own sarcastic thoughts, "The Edge is no place to go if you seek no more than sanctuary." Caenan paused to take another bite out of his apple. "It is a place where thick mists whisper in your ears; at night whenever you should be restin' and come mornin' it returns to tickle the hair in your ears some more." Caenan smirked at the group that had gathered, not in an ill natured manner it was more like a statement announcing his overconfidence. "An' you know what those mists are whisperin' 'bout?" The stallion let his question hang for a few breathes before answering it himself, "Adventure!" Caenan's emerald eyes danced, "The 'World's Edge' is a suitable name to the herd-land. Sometimes it feels as thought the steep cliffs really are the end of everything."

Caenan's tone changed completely. It became earnest and softened his features. "But it only seems that way. The Edge isn't the end of all. Instead it is the beginning. An' that is somethin' that I know well." The stallion looked to the newcomer and bowed his head. He looked up at her through his thick eyelashes grinning all the while. "I am sorry for scaring you. It wasn't my intention. You did not strike me as a flighty mare. Only one who is frightened."

His words were an undeclared challenge to the mare, an unspoken dare for her to follow him to the World's Edge. Caenan felt all of the softness in the world for her but he did not thrust that soft feeling forth. Whenever he looked past the fear in her eyes he thought that he saw a glimpse of someone who could be a kindred spirit. Caenan was excited to come across a mare that promised to be different from most even if he wasn't yet sure of what made her different. He took the last bite out of his apple, "If you want a home that will give your life the fresh breath of air straight from the sea; a home where promises of each day being something more than the usual flit casually about, where you are immediately welcomed and given purpose then I welcome you to follow me to the World's Edge." Caenan thought he might bite his tongue off as he held it to keep from adding that he thought Elspeth would look beautiful standing on one of the Edge's cliffs where she would become a silhouette against the sea and sky.

@Elspeth @Zandora @Calder

Zandora
Yes, dear, I'm smiling
Inside I'm dying

Her name is finally given, and it seems as if the threshold meeting here would soon be wrapped up. She was either going to be traveling to the mists of the edge or the mountains of the basin, and Zandora would have to put on quite the picture to compete with the words of Caenan. Her ears slowly drifted back with the flow of information, not really in the mood to soak in the painting of the edge, or hear the musings of a man with confidence. He indeed seemed to have a way with his words, but Zandora would not put the basin on some pedestal it's not on(not to say the edge isn't what he described it as.) She would give it to this Elspeth, straight, without the lacings of lures to get her to follow her.

"I am not one for talking mists, if you aren't either, you might consider the Aurora Basin." She started, turning her attention to that of the cream mare as she described with the Aurora Basin was in all of it's glittering, icy, silver. "The edge is indeed a place of beauty, but you will find that each herd here is worthy of beauty. The snow-capped mountains and the shimmering icicles, or the aurora borealis in the large expanse of the night sky are basin trademarks. They do not define our home though." She paused, glancing at Calder with a soft, smile of friendship, hoping that the antlered would follow her lead when it was his turn to speak.

"The basin is defined by the value of a united people. Each unicorn that dwells within the basin is independent but we are one together, we do not have worries of safety that taint us. The Aurora Basin is a exclusive place of horned creatures alike, and it is without doubt and with guarantee that any herd member would be there for another in a heartbeat. The Basin's reputation is not one of dandelions and rainbows, no, it is one of hard work, determination, and pride. We are more then a herd of unicorns, the basin is a family. A family that would welcome you, a family that you could be apart of. " She speaks softly, not wanting to put too much on her mind. If she was not compelled by the information Zandora offered her, the basin would more then likely not be for her. "It is not a place for the lighthearted, but it could very well be for you." She finished, stepping back as to let Calder cover anything she may have forgotten. Would the maiden in white travel back to the lands of the horned, or would she settle for the misty edge?

"Talk?"

OCC: this is gross surrey

Kiki
calder

It was clear that the mare was still frightened, and seeing her reaction caused something in Calder’s insides to recoil.  It immediately caused his muscles to tighten, screaming at him to protect the woman who clearly was in no immediate danger.  It made no rational sense in the brute’s brain, so he managed to keep his legs rooted to the spot.  She seemed quite abashed to be started by the magic, though nobody could fault her for being so new to these lands – she hadn’t yet been in Helovia an hour and already she’d been gettin’ quite the education.  

And then she finally felt comfortable enough to speak – surprising the dappled stallion by finally offering her name.  “Elspeth,” he repeated, testing the lass’ name in his own rolling accent. “See, lass, I knew ye had a name,” he added, again hoping to lighten the mood somewhat – offering her a wry smile. 

It was evident that she was looking for sanctuary, even before she spoke, but Calder deferred to the two and allowed them to offer their own descriptions by speaking.  Caenan painted a vivid picture of the Edge in his mind, even though the large stallion had never sit foot among the sea-cliffs. “Caenan, you speak of such passion about your homeland - perhaps one day I will have the opportunity to see it,” he offered, with a nod to the stallion. 

His blue eyes then flicked back to Elspeth after Zandora finished speaking.  He kept his tone casual – Calder could only be honest, as he wasn’t much of a salesman. “I find the herds here are like any herd, even many of those outside Helovia’s borders.  Ye reap what ye sow.  The Basin is much like Zandora here has described it – tucked away up in the mountains while the Aurora dances overhead.  It’s filled with interesting people but everyone is watching out for each other.  Even if you choose only to come and seek shelter and gain your footing for a bit, the others will look out for you whilst ye call the Basin home. However it’s hard not to get attached to the place. It’s amazing how it all works, in the end.” That’s what happened to Calder.  He had come just to see the lands – to test the waters – and the place had won his loyalty even when his own wavered between the basin and his lost family. 

“However, I think right now you’re probably less concerned with ranks and achievement and such than just finding a safe place to sleep.  That you will definitely find in the Basin. I crossed this threshold after losin’ my home to a landslide, and the Basin offered my weary bones a place to rest.  I’ve only recently decided to take up workin’ for a livin’ up in the mountains – that’s how I knew I’d found a permanent home.”  Calder hoped that by sharing a tiny piece of his own experience, it would be somewhat helpful to the woman.  He had come to the Basin seeking sanctuary first, and had only recently made the decision to take a rank in the herd.  The loss of his home and his family had simply been too much when he had first come to Helovia – there was no way he could have dedicated to himself to a herd without at least some attempt at healing first.  

Perhaps that’s what Elspeth needed too.  Healing.  And a place to rest her body and her mind.    Perhaps the Basin could offer her that. Ultimately, she’d be the only one that could make that decision. 

image credits

@Elspeth
Pixel by Sourful

Absent Abyss
Sarah

I was smiling for a brief moment, a surprising and involuntary reaction to the jest from the dappled stag after I gave my name - the gesture fading just as I realized it was happening. How strange. Confused by the ease at which it was brought forth, I focused instead on Caenan - who has begun to speak again.

I watched him carefully, the kind bay stallion that had untangled me from the branches just a few moments ago, and my wariness grows when he started to describe his home. It was a curious thing, to state almost right away that it wasn’t somewhere to go if I sought sanctuary - or not only sanctuary. A year ago, Caenan’s speech might have stirred me - beckoned me to follow with him. I would have been intrigued by the talk of the mists, by the cliffs and the forest. But now… I wasn’t willing to make the gamble that somewhere so filled with adventure was also somewhere where I could find peace, if only for a while.

My instinct was to find somewhere safe for now - I wasn’t thinking beyond the next few days that I fully intended on spending sleeping. And there was nothing about his description that truly made me feel safe - the first part of it, the enticement of adventure, actually frightened me more.

And was he actually daring me to follow him to the Edge? The idea of adventure was too overwhelming for me, the adrenaline that had been coming in waves having receded again and the true weight of my exhaustion - of all that had been happening to me - was settling down on my shoulders. Brown-tipped ears flattened for a moment again at the word ‘flighty’ and I snorted in objection - muttering a low “Of course I’m afraid.” Was there anything else someone would be in my situation? I had spent the last year living in fear and now I was standing on the threshold of something entirely new. A little fear was warranted, was it not?

But then, I reminded myself, they didn’t know who I was or where I had come from. He didn’t know my fears.

The rest fell into turn, the pregnant Zandora speaking first about the Basin. To be quite honest, neither of the herds sounded like pleasant places to live. Were all Helovians daredevils that chose to live in remote and dangerous lands? I felt skeptical about my two options but knew that I needed to pick one of them.

It was Calder that helped make up my mind - my heart giving a squeeze at the thought of family. Could it happen again? Nothing had been sugar coated but I found myself wanting the home he described, if only for a few days until I figured out what to do next. I rationalized with myself that there were other reasons for my choice. It was pragmatic to go to the Basin. I’d be safer (assuming I could trust these Helovians) with a pair instead of a single escort and if Zandora was pregnant and could cross from her homeland then surely that path was okay.

“I think I’d like to see the Basin first.” I tested the words out cautiously, aware that I must sound unconvinced, but as I spoke I felt as though it was the right choice. I look to Caenan without apology but with sincerity. I was ignorant of Helovia politics, wouldn’t understand the implications of choosing one herd over another, and besides - I could hardly apologize for not being able to be in two places at once. “I hope I can come visit this Edge of yours sometime? It sounds like a lovely place. Thank you, for welcoming me.” I cannot bring myself to move toward him and bump muzzles as I believed to be polite, but I did offer a smile to the bay before turning to the duo that would presumably lead me onwards.

“If you please, I fear if I stand still any longer I may faint.” I did not want to fall unconscious before I had a solid wall of rock behind my back to stop anyone from sneaking up on me.

<33

no need to reply here again if you don't want to! If @Zandora and/or @Calder want to get a welcoming thread up in the Basin that'd be great :D
I'd love to thread her with @Caenan sometime in the future again <33