the Rift

[PRIVATE] Only If For a Night [Destrier]

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

It was a cold, frozen night when Romani found herself back in the land of Helovia. She had wandered through the Threshold with a purpose, skirting past the boundaries of the Hidden Falls and had instead ventured northwards, towards the Heavenly Fields. Orangemoon was in full swing, casting the land in a perpetual chill that promised a ruthless winter. This far north found snow coating the ground from a recent fall, the frozen crystals almost iridescent in the bright moonlight. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky, leaving star-gazing unhindered, and that was just what the Haflinger maiden found herself doing.

Eventually she would return to the Hidden Falls and attempt to reclaim her title as a soldier, but first, her wayward thoughts demanded attention. Going home to Ossic Briar had been a much needed getaway, but her heart had yanked her back to Helovia and the individuals that she had grown to love. Even though she would always have a place in her home Kingdom, Helovia had her more, needed her more, and the golden-red gypsy worried for the day she would need to return home to Ossic Briar permanently.

Could she do it? Would she do it? Leave behind everything and everyone she had loved simply because it was her duty? The mere thought was enough to churn her gut.

Mist curled upwards from flared nostrils as the mare heaved a breath, crisp, sharp azure depths focused on the cloudless night sky spanning across the heavens. It was dark, but beautiful. Peaceful. Serene.

Or, it was, until a bundle of white and black striped fur collided into stout forelegs, covered ear to tail in white powder. Romani’s sapphire gaze was immediately stolen from the sparkling heavens, instead directed downwards and to the monochromatic tigress that lay in a snow-covered heap at her hooves. Kasai had decided that the fields of snow looked far too pristine and had seen to it to truss it up, romping and rolling in the fields of powder. The lithe tigress shook her head and looked up to the gypsy, a croaking growl escaping her maw in the tone of amusement, and Romani’s dark lips turned upwards in an endearing grin.

“Having fun, my sweet?” She inquired, ears tipped forward and eyes only for her beloved companion. Kasai’s tail flicked to and fro and her form promptly straightened so she was standing upon all four paws, then just as quickly as she had come, darted off back into the snow. The snow itself wasn’t deep, perhaps a few inches, but obviously the large feline wasn’t having any trouble indulging in the simpler things of life, like mischievous play.

When was the last time she had let herself go? Enjoyed herself and let her worries slide from her shoulders? When was the last time that she had felt youthful or at ease? With a few moments of internal deliberation, Romani was surprised to realize that she couldn’t even remember when she had last had fun.

Watching where Kasai romped and rolled in the snow, the Haflinger looked upwards at the star-lit sky and released another breath. Maybe, only if for a night, she would let herself go and live.

Ivory tresses flowed in the moonlit night as the mare took off with a joyous laugh, hind legs propelling her forward and through the snowy fields towards where Kasai frolicked. Together, equine and tiger played through the night, ignorant to anything other than one another.

@[Destrier]

Got a Rebel Soul
With a Whole Lot of Gypsy

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Please Tag Romani in all Replies!

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
Destrier
Suli & Merlin
never feared for anything, never chained but never free
I tried to heal the broken love with all that I could
The past year had gone by in a blur. In some ways, it had held little, and in others, so much had happened. A rift had been torn open in Helovia, opening up a portal to an entirely different world, bringing with it countless foreign faces as well as their demented Gods. With the help of Helovia's own deities and citizens alike, and even some of the other world's own, all had been struck down, and peace was returned once more to Helovia.

... Or was it?

Since then, I had been unable to shake the feeling that not all was as it seemed. Defeating the Gods had seemed almost too easy, and though everything appeared to be fine, there was a feeling that something was still lingering amongst us, just past the corner of the eye, just beyond the shadows.

But maybe it was simply me. Months ago I had fallen into a sort of 'funk' (as the young ones seemed to call it), my mind plagued with thoughts of lost loved ones. There was Bran, Kaj, Romani, Luken, and Laila, may her young, blessed soul rest in peace... I had lost so many, and now, I found myself growing distant to those I called herd-mates. It was irrational, I knew, believing that anyone I grew close to would disappear, that family was only temporary, but it had happened every time.

Suli and Merlin had been the only constants in my life, never leaving my side, never abandoning me, never questioning my love for them.

Slipping away from the Falls and heading north, we made our way for the Heavenly Fields. It was here that I had always felt close to the Heavens, to the Gods of my birthland, to Bran and to Laila. I spoke often to them, of my own life and what theirs was like now that they were freed from their chains, always hoping for some sort of answer, but never receiving one. Although I missed them both dearly, missed everyone, I always felt at peace after visiting the fields.

It was a particularly frigid night, but the cold mattered not to me. A thick hide had protected me from relentless winters for fifteen years, but now, there was fire in my blood, and I had no need for such a thick coat. Suli still hid within my thick tresses, as the dragoness had always loathed the cold and much preferred to stay out of it at all costs; but then there was Merlin, who held a clear love for the freezing temperatures. The orange-eyed dragon trilled with delight as he cutting and spiraling through the breeze, and then plummeting to the snow-covered ground. With wings outspread, rump in the air and neck stretched out before him, Merlin pushed himself through the snow. The action warranted a deep, warm chuckle from my throat, and opening my mouth I intended to speak, but suddenly, all was forgotten as a familiar form caught my gaze.

There, up ahead, was a golden beauty I'd assumed I would never see again, her ever loyal companion romping nearby. Her hide shone brilliantly beneath the light of the moon, and for a moment I wondered if I had finally, truly lost my mind, and I was seeing naught but an apparition. I stood stock still for what felt like an eternity, neck upright, body tense, bister eyes held wide open, ears twisted forward, mind running amuck.

What would I say? How would I react? How would she react?

Slowly, tentatively, I forced one hoof to step forward, followed by the next, then another. I feared that should I draw too close, she would disappear and I would be left alone again, wondering what on earth I had done wrong to deserve such cruel punishment. Sucking in a deep breath, I struggled to find my voice, then called out to her, sounding far more fearful and surely far too soft for her to truly hear me.

"... Romani?"

"Talk."
image credits

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Romani

So lost in their game of chase through the snow, Romani had been unaware of the fact that they were no longer alone. Her heart felt light and free, as though her burdens and worries were no longer her own. A youthful, carefree joy filled her palomino breast, each breath tickled with laughter as she and Kasai romped through the frozen field. Snow and ice clung to her hooves, causing the Haflinger to slip every other step, hind end sometimes swinging out from beneath her whenever she would turn too sharply, but it took nothing away from the fun she was having, nor the delight that she could feel pulsating from the bond between bonded and bond-mate.

It was as the striped tigress barreled into a drift that was far larger than she, resulting in tumbling head over paws, that icy blue eyes spotted the frozen stallion standing motionless a ways away. Kasai shook her head, in disbelief rather than to rid the snow from inside her ears.

'Roma!' It was a mental command, a beckon, a far different tone than the jovial one from their impromptu game in the snow, and it was enough to snag the mare's attention. Romani halted, head turning towards where Kasai had stumbled in the drift, worrying momentarily that the tigress had harmed herself in the fall, but Kasai's next mental proclamation made her hesitate.

''Tis Destrier!'

Twisting her head, Romani turned to look in the same direction that Kasai herself was gazing, and she felt something inside of her shift. Standing beneath the pale moonlight, the black of his hide seeming to hold an ethereal glow, was Destrier. The handsome Friesian seemed to be staring her way, and the gypsy shifted beneath such close scrutiny, sharp cerulean eyes looking back just as unabashed. Destrier was here? But... But why? And... And why did he look so disbelieving to be seeing her now?

Immediately memories flooded her head of the last time that they had spoken, just before she had ventured off to return to Ossic Briar. It had been a brief affair, simple in their parting, but that was simply because Romani was terrible at saying 'good-bye'. It hadn't been a permanent farewell, however, for she had planned to return to Helovia, but... It had taken time. A lot of time, and judging by Destrier's face and how his expression was borderline forlorn and hesitant, the mare wondered if maybe he believed she would never return. Did he think she would abandon him?

One step came in her direction. Then another. And another. It seemed, that while his body desired to approach that his mind was on a whole other page, almost as though he were sleep walking. Was he well? Was he sick? What had happened in her absence?

"Destrier?" Dark lips formed an innocent inquiry, wide azure eyes shining in worry and warmth. Moving her hooves, the Haflinger slid through the snow, picking her steps carefully so that she would not slip. The closer the drew to the stallion, the more she wondered if all was well in his head. He had always been so gentle, so firm, so reliable, jovial, and stalwart... So handsome and otherworldly. Her joy of seeing Destrier, of being reunited with him after so many long months apart, was dampened only by her genuine concern for him, but the closer she got, the quicker her pace became, until finally she stopped before him.

Romani lifted her muzzle towards him, ignoring the chill from the snow that began to melt along her palomino hide, and instead spoke, cerulean eyes staring into warm, chocolate brown. "Destrier..." Vocals were soft and hushed, spoken along a whisper as though sharing a tender secret, "You're... You're here? Are you alright?"

But why? Shouldn't he be asking her that? She was, however, the one to leave Helovia with a swift farewell, but now... Now they were together again, and her heart felt full from the knowledge. Not of grief, of course, nor disappointment, but of warmth. Of yearning to simply be close to him, to reach out and touch him and reassure herself that he was truly here, to show him the love that he looked like he so desperately needed.

Got a Rebel Soul

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
Destrier
Suli & Merlin
never feared for anything, never chained but never free
I tried to heal the broken love with all that I could
It took little time for the dragons to notice the change. From where she was buried within the mess of dark mane, Suli stuck her head out from the hairy blanket to see our newfound company, but she knew through the bond just who it was we had stumbled upon. Seemingly unbothered by the cold now, the green crawled out from her cover, pulling herself onto my neck and perching atop my head, and through our bond I could feel a pulse of excitement from her. She remembered Romani and her feline companion well, whereas Merlin had been but a hatchling when the golden shield-maiden had departed the lands of Helovia and could not recall the pair. His shy nature was quick to return, and bounding back to me, the black dragon took cover behind my left front leg.

Their individual actions were lost upon me, my focus only on that of Romani as she helped to close the distance between us. Her closeness was almost painful, causing a terrible wrenching of the heart inside my chest. Four seasons had passed since she had left, and I was afraid that only time would tell when I would be left alone once more. My soul couldn't bear such torture ever again, not after I had already lost so many.

I swallowed thickly as she spoke, realizing that I had surely been staring at her, a victim to my thoughts. Where the golden's eyes were warm and filled with worry, mine were cold, haunted, frightened. Where her voice was tender and soft, I had no doubt that mine would come out broken and in shambles.

As she outstretched her muzzle towards me, I felt frozen in place, uncertain what to do, but slowly, hesitantly, I tipped mine down and out, bumping it gently against hers to ensure that I was still capable of movement. Her question gripped even more tightly at my heart, and with a deep, shaky inhale, I made to answer.

"I-..." I trailed off, took in another wholesome breath, and tried again. "I will be," came my answer on a whisper, so full of pain, and it was then that I dared to take a step or two closer, careful of where Merlin had come to settle. Squeezing my eyes shut, I bent my neck to drape it over Romani's own, tucking my head to bring her closer if she allowed. "If you promise that you'll never leave me again."

"Talk."
image credits

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Romani

He stood like a statue, large and solid but tethered to the ground as though cursed by some strange, immovable force. Very real, but very still, and Romani began to truly worry that something was wrong when he suddenly moved. It was the most subtle of twitches, the stallion's muzzle tipping downwards to slowly reach for her own, and when they touched the Haflinger's azure depths slid closed in contentment. Nostrils flared as she sucked in deep breaths, filling her insides with his familiar scent.

He inhaled, a shaky, uncertain thing, and a pang of sickening realization pooled in the pit of her gut. She had done this... Ripped between two worlds worlds, living the life of a wandering gypsy and an heir to a Kingdom had rendered Destrier into an unsettled and insecure fellow, placing him in a precarious mental position.

Then and there, his touch meant more to her than Ossic Briar, consequences be damned. How could she leave Helovia? How could she leave him?

'I...' He tried to speak, this once proud and vigilant stag, but now... His words would not come. Romani's eyes flit open with the rumble of his deep baritone, eyes staying locked on the Friesian's handsome face. Destrier's next words, so full of agonized pain, left her heart wrought within her chest and she swallowed, hard.

Dark lips opened to speak, to say something in an attempt to alleviate any of the pain that he felt, but before she could utter a single syllable, Destrier had shifted, lessening the distance between them and wrapping his massive neck around hers in an embrace. With his words she was undone, sucking in a deep breath as she pressed herself firmly against him.

What a sight they surely made; black and palomino bodies pressed so intimately against one another, their height difference almost comical, but as strange as this joining of their hearts seemed to be, Romani wouldn't trade it for the world. They had met in the Edge, before Destrier had stolen her away from her frozen imprisonment in the Basin, and they had become shield-siblings in arms. Two soldiers they were, swearing to protect the World's Edge with their very lives, and together they had participated in the invasion upon the Falls. Somehow, amidst all of the fighting, the distance, their lives... They had fallen for one another.

"Never," the Haflinger promised, her words firm and fierce, "Never again. Wherever you are, Destrier, I will be as well. I promise."

No more running. No more hiding. No more avoiding the fact. This was her life now. This handsome ebony stallion with his soothing, warm chocolate eyes and his two draconic companions. Any place by his side was her home, and it always would be.

"I'm so sorry, Des," she murmured, reluctant to pull away even for a second, and so she remained curled in his embrace, "I... I never meant to hurt you. I've missed you terribly, and I..." Her tongue held the word that threatened to break loose. Brushing her cheek against him, the Haflinger sighed, letting herself speak the words that needed to come out. "I love you."

Got a Rebel Soul