the Rift

[OPEN] curiosity killed the cat

Sabre Posts: 21
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 3 years
Cutlass :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Reli
show me how defenseless you really are.
So here I am—exploring!

I march forward fearlessly, chest puffed out and my head held high, bearing all the confidence that my little heart can muster. The clicking echo of my hooves against the hard cave floor seems to follow me for miles, and the dim light of the cavern seems endless. I pause for a moment, throwing a glance over my shoulder. The cave eventually fades into blackness. Looking forward again, I see the same thing! Where could this place possibly go? Does it go around and around and around the whole world?!

Huffing out a dramatic sigh, I continue my stamping march—boom, boom, boom go my feet through the stone hall—and the rhythm gradually quickens until I’m just running. Faster and faster I go, and I’m pretty sure I’m the fastest thing around, with everything blurring together and the wind howling in my ears, urging me to keep going (faster, faster, faster). I don’t know how much time passes, and I’m not sure when it is that the scenery changes; it just hits me, when my focus expands from the pinpoints of my path, to realize that grimy stone has turned to dazzling crystal.

I come to a graceless halt, hooves skidding and screeching against the glass-like ground, probably scuffing one of my legs somewhere, but I am above the pain. “Woah,” I breathe through my heavy panting, yellow eyes wide with curious wonder. For the first time since I had grasped words, I am speechless.

It is unlike anything I have ever seen!

It’s so…bright. Having been born in the darkest of shadows, comfortable in their dim cocoon, I have to squint my eyes at first, fuzzy dark ears flicking back as I inspect the curious gems. It is by no conscious act that I begin to walk forward. My curiosity gets the better of me—again—and grasps my little heart with a vice-like grip (oh, but how beautiful it is!). I care not for caution or consequences, thinking only of now as I brazenly probe deeper into this labyrinth of crystal, the taste of exploration far too sweet to resist.

notes; In the Crystal Cavern; hopefully this works!:)
“Speech.”
You’re so cold,
but you feel alive—
lay your hand on me one last time.
@Zhu | image credits
JOIN THE EMPIRE

[Image: pixel_i__sabre_by_xxcloudscollide_d9z9zr...9zbmnl.gif]
please tag Sabre in all replies!
magic & force is permitted, excluding death or permanent injury.

Kratos Posts: 7
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 6yrs HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Dingo

A curious place this was, these caves that were so near the southern edge of this Helvoonia. It was warmer here than in the labyrinth, a strange change for sure; my home of Estanzia had been frigid, its people even more so, and I had always found comfort in the brisk  lsdfj dsl;g 

Descending into the depths of the cave, my hooves clacked vexatiously against the hard, stony floor, disturbing the otherwise quiet atmosphere. Nostrils flared as they took in the brisk air that permeated throughout the cave, and azure eyes took in the intricate cavern. Mighty stalagmites reached for the ceiling like spires, and from the ceiling, there was vegetation of all hues, glowing, and providing gentle light to what would have been an otherwise dark room. The thought of what might happen should someone consume something from here was briefly entertaining, but the thought was lost on something even more captivating. What other wonders did this cave hold? What secrets did it contain, what demons lie in wait just beyond the shadows in every nook and cranny?

Once Jaeger found out I had wandered away in favor of exploring Helvoonia for myself, I knew without a doubt that he would be furious. But I was a Prince, from another world, of course, but I could take care of myself on this little expedition.

As I made to leave the room full of vegetation, I drew to a halt, the sound of rapidly beating hooves striking the stone floor catching my attention. Whoever, or whatever it was, sounded naught but a little thing. With curiosity piqued, I abandoned the strange room and encroached upon the being I heard, following the sound of the reverberating footfalls.

I cringed at the sudden, screeching sound of hoof against rock, but I could tell I was close. The further I went, the more prevalent an etheral glow from ahead became. It's a room full of faintly glowing crystals, looking just as other-worldly as the last section of the  cave I had encountered. There was no way I could be certain as of yet, but they seemed to go on forever, their mass and quantity creating a labyrinth with many corridors to venture down. But what truly caught my attention was the filly that was also in the room, presumably the one I had heard.

Her body was small, spindly legs holding up her young frame. Immediately I felt awkward; my experience with children was quite limited, and though my pride wouldn't allow me to admit it, I was barely out of colthood myself. But it was disconcerting to see a filly so young unaccompanied, especially in a cave so large.

Swallowing thickly, I took a step closer, cerulean eyes settling on her form. "Be careful not to get lost," I warned, vocals lacking the empathy that most might display; it had simply never been my forte. "There's no way of knowing how far back it goes."

"talk"
You see I am the wolf
And this dirty little piggy lives inside of me
You see every now and then
I forget which one I want and which one that I need

Kid Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Equine :: 15hh :: 3 years HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
dark
KID
I saw her leave, and that made me upset, because why would she leave without taking me with her? I wasn't going to simply stand here dumbfounded at Mother's side and watch her disappear into the shadows, I wanted to go on adventures too! I had made sure Mother wouldn't take notice, racing after my wombmate with excitement coursing through me.  

The idea of going off again is exhilarating, an idea that gives me a burst of energy as I run after Sabre. My stride wasn't as powerful as hers, my little hooves less thunderous and loud and teetering more to the side of dainty yet quick steps. My eagerness to get far away from Mother and instead explore beside Sabre consumed me, gangly legs trying hard to pull me closer to the twin I share so much with. Her presence had become a welcomed thing, something that made me feel less reckless and mellowed me out, a warm touch that was all so familiar. We shared an enclosed space for so long, tangled with one another for so long that being apart felt awkward to me. I didn't like it, having distance between us, it felt wrong. We were supposed to be powerful together, we were supposed to rule the world side by side. She was the only one I would let oppose me, the only one I would accept to be my equal, no one else came close.

She suddenly disappears, seamlessly slipping into a whole new world, a system of caves hidden beneath the hooves of Helovia's residents. I feel a pang of fear shoot through me at watching her vanish into the gaping mouth of the caverns, my sprint coming to abrupt halt as I dance along the edge of the caves, questioning whether to pursue Sabre or wait for her to come out. It's not that I'm scared, it's just that I don't like the idea of going down there to find out that Sabre is long gone, and that I'll end up lost and alone. What will the world do then, without me to rule? It's a rather dismaying thought, one that makes me take one step after another down into the underground, soon quickening when I hear the recognizable thundering of Sabre and her confident strides.

I enter a whole new world, dark, damp and nostalgic. The enclosed spaces make me feel at home as I chase after Sabre, a faint hint of a smile creeping across my face as I get closer to her. "Sabre!" I call out for her, hoping she'll notice me in hot pursuit of her, getting within a few big strides of her. She stops abruptly (why did she have to stop here?) and I almost collide with her as I come to a screeching halt, sinking into my rear end in a desperate attempt to stop myself faster. 

She lets her mouth gape in awe at the caverns surrounding us, open to a world of dazzling crystal plaguing the grimy grey walls. No longer is there dull darkness, but shimmering rainbows of varying degrees, all intense and awe-inspiring to look at. I (obviously) have never seen anything like this, mouth dropping as I shuffle to Sabre's side, intensely focused on the structure of the cavern where all that can be heard is the faintest trickle of water and our synchronized breathing. "Pretty." Is all I manage, mind too busy picking out every single detail of the crystals hanging above our heads. 

I notice someone watching, in turn watching them look at Sabre. What they thought of her I do not know, but their staring unsettles me to the point where I try to step between them and Sabre. I try to look stern, intimidating. It was a stallion who was all purple, a violet mongrel with curling horns from behind his ears. Mother has said before we are above everybody with horns or wings, that Sabre and I are stronger than them, that even at this precious age of none we are still better. Mother used the word scum to describe them, and I remember feeling the hatred in her words even from the distance I was standing. She was passionate in the way of equine supremacy, standing proudly with a fierce expression settled upon her face while she spoke. 

The man speaks and my ears fall back, a rather upset look playing across my face. I didn't need to hear from a stranger the dangers of the caverns we were exploring, Sabre and I were perfectly capable of finding our way out on our own, I didn't need to hear it from scum. I look up at the stallion, displeased that he even thought I would let us get lost underground, that I would listen to someone of his species wholly. It was a lie, I disregarded what he said and instead looked back at Sabre to see if she too had noticed this man by now or was still too consumed by the subtle glow of the gems around us.

[Image: 2dub87c.jpg]

Zhu Posts: 23
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16'3 :: 3yrs HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zuno
one must never learn to fear the demons in the world,
and must instead choose to embrace them

Driven deep underground, the attachment to the child’s mother’s side is threaded tightly with silver strings that dive for blood and scars when it is dared to be broken. Even now, in his ever-growing state, there is the small need to see something else, something others might not enjoy, but where he can thrive like the creature of shadows he has become. They’ve built him out of their own bodies, selfishly tearing away pieces of their black masses to construct a boy who will grow into his muscles, towards the height that gives him the ability to tower with white eyes shrouded with hate and ill intention, shaded over with the stain of darkness.
But not all kings of darkness, the depths and the unseen, the horrors that drive others to madness begin out as perfect examples of their right in this world. There is learning to be done, and while his mother still worries with each passing second of what he’ll become, lacing him with manners and laws to this world he thinks might be fun to rebel from, there is always another to fill in the gaps.
The beast that she is bonded to follows him with reluctance today, flying ahead with storm cloud wings to assure that their passage is clear of whatever may harm him, acting as given gift that he worships the very presence of. Hobgoblin, a name after days of practice and repetition that he’s come to master only with his mother’s aid.
That, with a few other words, such as dragon, sky, Zhu, which is surprisingly what his mother has decided to call him, a name fit for a master of the depths, Sia, the name of his mother, Ma, and hello. A few manners follows in with them but he cannot seem to grasp them perfectly, no matter the length of time spent between you and your mother that is spent trying.
It is through Hobgoblin that he learns that words speak louder than actions.
Within the dungeon, there is no need for those damned words, no need for the eyes that pain him when the light attempt to tear them from his very hands and leave him blinded. A newfound gift, one loud and shrill that paints him a picture of what is about him, guides him with a held hand.
And oh, what gifts there are to be found.
The stretches are deep, the turns and holes in the floor and walls all offering new things where the average wouldn’t dare to venture. It is only the blade-mouthed bat that takes him away from this wonderful place, clutching to the long tail that swishes back and forth with annoyance with each step. Screams ripple from his gift up until something else, something fresh comes into view. Black eyelids rise like heavy curtains to present two perfect full moons filling his eye sockets, watching with curiosity as an event unfolds before him.
Two skull faced children against a large man painted with the oddest colours he’d ever seen. No words come to mind as of how to describe him, but it is needless to say that the boy cannot keep himself from being intrigued.
Hobgoblin’s claws are kind but firm when they grasp his white spine, digging into the night coat draped across his features. There is a need to ask what is occurring before him, why someone of his own size would stand before a greater in a way that he’d only seen his mother do so. Would there be more rain from the eyes of the older horse? Would he have to suffer through another episode of seeing another spill their useless emotions across the floor, or would this be different? Their words are not yet clear, but he is desperate to know.
Inside the casket for words that his brain has become, each deformed syllable churns without rest, looking for a cure to this longing.

OOC: Just sort of standing off to the side and watching as of the moment. Hobgoblin is with him and in the form of a silver Wyvern.

@Sabre