the Rift

[PRIVATE] everglow

Déodat Posts: 174
Absent Abyss atk: 3.5 | def: 10 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 hands :: 12 HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Odette :: White German Shepherd :: None Minx

He wanders far from the grips of the icy north, finding his way to the shoreline. He watches as the waves come crashing in, smashing against the rocks and rolling in over the sands. His mind weighs heavily upon his children that lay in the Edge… Both of his twins he hadn’t seen since birth and had every intention of seeing them again. Déodat has never heavily involved himself in his children’s upbringing, but he was never distant. He is present as much as he can be, but even then he knows he is not a conventionally warm father. His love for his children runs deep even if he is not close to any of them. The red warrior ponders for the well being for both the mother and his foals, Nyx having nearly died from the experience. 

Odette romps about in the waves and he can see her white body bobbing up and down, while he just stands up to his ankles out in the water. Tendrils of his dark tail hairs float along in the water until he starts to walk. He sloshes along through the water with no particular direction. In the distance he can make out the sound of a boyish giggle and he smiles, knowing it’s a foal. He can make out the shape of a light colt flailing about in the water and he quickly recognizes the child as his son.

Without any hesitation he draws closer towards him with both ears pricked forward. “Libertad..” He calls to the child who stops from his games and stares at him with wide blue eyes. He trots right up to the colt who pins his ears against his skull puffing up his chest to look intimidating to the stallion. Déodat fights back a laugh as he watches the boy. “Quite the little warrior already,” he says with a nod of approval.

“Yes!” Libertad says only raising his head up higher. “I’mma be the best knight ever! I’mma keep d’Arcy safe from bad guys like you!” Déodat raises a brow, realizing perhaps the boy doesn’t know him but simply nods.

“Very good,” he says with a nod. “A good brother always takes care of his sister.” Libertad nods before he tilts his head. “Who’re you?” “I am Déodat, your father.” He says simply and the boy only nods and quickly loses interest in the man and gallops off to resume his play. 
"talk talk talk"

Mee di nu ku

@Nyx & @d'Arcy
[Image: QV8O7HU.gif]
Cut from the cloth, of a flag that
Bears the name of "Battle Born"
con by aihnna@dA

Nyx Posts: 292
Deceased atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 11 HP: 72 | Buff: SWIFT
Dominus :: White Lion :: None Snow

Like the protective mother she is (read: stalker), Nyx rarely lets her offspring out of her sight. When Libertad wanders away from the herd, the silver follows, but at a safe enough distance to not cramp his style. With stealth mode initiated, she darts behind trees and shrubs, like a common-or-garden stalker on the prowl. Dominus, disgusted at her antics, has taken himself off to hunt, leaving the ironheart alone.

When she sees her son splashing in the shallows, her heart misses a beat. She does not like water, even if her fear of it actually earned her the sea creature's prize. Seeing him bounce in the ocean, where a wave could so easily grab him and drag him to his demise...it worries her greatly, and she finds herself edging closer so she could swoop and save him if necessary. As she does so, she sees a very familiar blood bay figure approach the dappled colt, and her face splits into a shit-eating grin. Déodat. Damn, she forgot how attractive he is, a stark reminder of why she allowed him to bed her. And what a good decision it had been! Aside from the small business of almost dying in childbirth, she wouldn't exchange her gorgeous twins for anything. Déodat's swimmers did good.

Her stride increases, so she's hiding no longer. To see Libertad and his sire interacting warms the cockles of her heart, and a smile of contentment splits her dark muzzle. "If it isn't my favourite boys," she says with a coquettish wink, moving closer and admiring father and son as they stand together. Libertad looks to have inherited his father's height, even if his colour speaks of his mother. As the youth gallops off to continue his game, Nyx follows and attempts to herd him back towards Déodat, whilst casually using her tongue to try and flatten down his mane as only an embarassing mother can. There's time for play later - right now, she's itching to show him off to his sire, to admire how they interact.

She looks to the stallion. "Hopefully d'Arcy will come along as well." What a sweet family day out that would be! "How have you been?"

SOMEDAY WE MAY SEE A WOMAN KING, SWORD IN HAND, SWING AT SOME EVIL AND BLEED

Other characters have permission to use magic/violence against Nyx at any time.

d'Arcy Posts: 21
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 2 years :: Tallsun HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Laine

While her twin played about on the beach, d’Arcy had devised her own sort of game that suited her much better than a day on sun and sand. She had taken a liking to stalking people, quite literally: trying to see how close she could get, how quietly she could approach, and how long could she remain undetected while she watched and listened to. At the meeting, her mother had instructed her to watch the interactions of others, learn from them and d’Arcy found she quite liked doing so, though she couldn’t make heads nor tails of half of what she overheard (adults were strange, complicated creatures).

As Libertad was followed by their mother, so too did d’Arcy trail along after her mother, waiting for a moment to pounce. She thought her mother might be a little less likely to snap at her for a sneak attack than other members of the herd. These plans, however, were foiled when Nyx crossed the tree line and made her way across the beach. The filly paused, lingering in the shadows for a moment as she watched her mother scoop up Libertad and move toward the strange stallion. Well, perhaps not so strange, she thinks judging by the looks of him and her suspicion is soon confirmed by the words that carry over the sand towards her hiding spot. Carried by curiosity and cued by her own name, the red-cloaked filly emerged onto the stretch of beach and hurried to join her family, calling out like the dutiful daughter she is (well, mostly dutiful.. ”I’m here, mama.”

Light steps carry her over that sand and immediately to her brother’s side in a profunctory move. After any significant time apart there was always a need to re-establish that most precious of connections; it could not have been more than an hour our two since they had last seen each other but she had missed him so dreadfully. She moved, as she often did, to rest her side against his for a moment, and still not really aware of it, reached out to him with her magic as well like little greedy fingers to pull him closer to her and only to her. She smiled at him, contented again and then turned her attention to her father.

d’Arcy took several precocious steps toward Déodat, eyeing him shrewdly. Or at least she hoped she was shrewd, but she had not yet mastered all the social delicacies (such as tact) and so she must have looked quite impertinent. “Mother said you lived in the north, what are you doing here?” Tactless, yes, but genuinely curious at this break from the status quo. He had been there for her and her brother’s births but other than that he’d never come before. She looked out at the water, at the white creature bouncing in the surf and then, with an even more quizzical look, turned back to her father. “Why does your lion look so strange? What happened to his mane?”

it's bloody and raw
but i swear it is sweet
Image Credits
when I tell you that i love you
don't test my love
accept my love, don't test my love
cause maybe i don't love you all that much

Déodat sees Nyx appear and he smiles a bit, at least he can trust that his children don’t go unattended. He can’t help but pity the boy a bit, though. He can remember the days as a colt with his mother breathing down his neck and appearing only when he found his way to trouble. He gives Nyx a wink back before she goes off to herd back their son. Despite his son’s embarrassment he can’t help but chuckle at the sight of the mother grooming her child. He offers a slight dip of his head to Libertad before he turns his attention back to Nyx.

“I’d love to see how she has grown as well,” Déodat says nodding. “I have been well.” Without a word his eyes turn to the small red body that appears. He offers his daughter a warm smile. “Hello there d’Arcy,” he says before watching the exchange between the siblings. The closeness between the pair makes him glad. He had wished to nurture such a thing between Mirabella and Arya, but of course, his true lack of heavy involvement in their lives might’ve prevented that. D’Arcy snaps him from his thoughts and he looks at the girl. A brow raises at the expression and bluntness of her words, and he is quick to view it as disrespect.. He glances at Nyx briefly before looking back down at his daughter.

“Sometimes I wander from the north,” Déodat says simply. “A change of scenery is nice from time to time.” Her next question takes him by surprise and he laughs. He beckons Odette over through their bond and the dog charges over, dripping wet. “She is a dog, not a lion,” he explains. “Unlike your mother’s feline companion, she was born without a mane.”  
"talk talk talk"

Skin to bone, steel to rust
con by aihnna@dA

Libertad Posts: 24
Absent Abyss
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 2 ::Tallsun
Minx

Libertad looks at his mother, one ear pricks against his skull.. She seems to always be wherever he goes and he can’t deny she is quick to ruin his fun. When he springs away from his father his mother swoops in and drives him back. Then she starts lick down his mane and he looks at her with a pouty and annoyed expression. “I’mma a warrior.. I don’t need m’mane licked.” He says puffing up his chest and pricking his ears back, but that is the only protest he offers. He follows his mother back to his father and stares at the tall stallion. Quietly he notes the scars and muscle that litters his father’s frame and he tilts his head, quickly assuming the man is a warrior. Of course he is a warrior, Mother is a warrior and would only let someone strong sire he and his sister.

He then hears a familiar voice and immediately his expression lightens as d’Arcy steps from the shadows. He shifts awkwardly when he realizes she probably had seen their mother’s doting actions.. If she had, she makes no mention of it. d’Arcy simply presses herself close, and he feels complete again. Even the smallest of distance or the slightest sliver of time apart leaves him longing for his twin. Her magic sinks it’s claws into him and he feels that need for her, that need to be close and he reaches out to nuzzle her gently giving her a boyish grin. When her attention turns away from him he frowns and watches his father. He stares jealously at Déodat only for a moment before he fixes his eyes back on d’Arcy. He needn’t worry , he tells himself, she’ll come back to him.. She always does, she needs him just as he needs her. Only together are they truly complete.

As Déodat answers his sisters questions he watches the canine and tilts his head curiously. Then it comes bounding over and he looks at his father. “It’s ugly,” he says. “You shoulda killed it.” He then looks back at the dog. “Ugly, ugly, ugly.. Smelly to.. Kinda like you.” He says looking back at the stallion. His awareness of social norms has grown, but he can’t find himself to care what might be deemed ‘rude’ when there is a truth that must be spoken.

In my city I'm a young god

@Nyx @d'Arcy

* tag me in all replies please
*force is permitted at all times
*pixel by padarii@dA

Her daughter's sweet voices reaches her ears, and a smile splits the blackened flesh of her muzzle. "Ah, d'Arcy." She moves immediately to her brother's side, and the silver is once again reminded quite how close the pair are. It is endearing, but also, in a way, extremely concerning. Nyx worries that, if something were to happen to one of them - and if it does it would be over her dead body, but that's besides the point - the other might not be able to cope. This worries her, as losing one of them would be catastrophic but losing both of them...it hardly bears thinking about.

But, she reasons, they are young. It stands to reason that they will be close, but she does hope they begin to branch out and make other friends as well. The filly asks her father what happened to his dog's mane, and she snorts her amusement at the brazen audacity of youth. Although, she muses, tact is not my strong point, either, and they say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The blood-bay stallion himself, though, seems less than amused by his daughter's disrespect, but the silver doesn't step in just yet. Perhaps the best way for the twins to learn their limits will be through their father, not Nyx herself. To her relief, Déodat humours the girl and explains that Odette is a dog.

Libertad's statement that he's a warrior brings a beam of pride to the ironheart's face. Ah, yes, start them young...."And a fierce warrior you are indeed, my dear, but you can still be well-groomed and handsome even whilst you cut the throats of your foes." Nyx is prone to vanity, although not to the extent of her own mother. She does, however, have a keen eye for the pretty things in life, and likes herself and her children to always look their best.

When the grey colt speaks again, Nyx almost chokes on her tongue. "Libertad!" she squeaks, apopletic. There's tactlessness, and there's abuse. With ears flattened, the mare stomps towards her son and aims a sharp nip of rebuke for his ample hindquarters - not enough to permanently mark him, but enough to hopefully hammer her point home. "You mustn't say things like that. Déodat is your father, and you will respect him." Her tone shows that it's not a request - it's a demand.

@d'Arcy

Laine

It was apparent that she had misstepped, and for a moment her bright eyes flicked between her mother and father. In her juvenile mind she tried to retrace, replay what she had said or done to find a fault. She tried a change in posture first, taking a step back from her father and letting her sharp gaze give way to something more demure. It seemed she was to be outdone by her bold brother, and before she could have a second try Libertad interjected his own delightful additions to the family conversation.

The filly let out a delighted peal of laughter at her brother’s antics, little hooves jumping as her amusement bubbled through her body. Cobalt eyes gazed adoringly at the grey colt. Everything that Libertad said was, naturally, endlessly amusing, and of course everyone and everything was ugly and smelly compared to his perfect self. Her father wasn’t too bad, she thought, as far as others went, and his case was helped in d’Arcy’s estimation my his resemblance to her. The lightheartedness was short-lived, for Nyx’s rebuke fell swiftly on her son. She gave a swift little squeak of surprise and distress as if she had been nipped herself hough the admonishment was directed at her twin, the girl sobered immediately.

As much as Libertad always talked of protecting his sister, d’Arcy was scarily less protective of him. Like a shot she moved trying to wedge herself between her mother and twin, She sent a swift (though perhaps not so subtle) shake of the head at her brother before looking up imploringly at her parents. “Apologies, it was wrong of us to speak so.” It was a shimmering gleam of the diplomatic potential the girl showed now and then—she certainly showed no wish to be a fighter like her brother, too messy.

She cast around, trying to think of a way to change the subject, hoping her mother would forgo further admonishments (however trivial) to her brother. She fixed her gaze on her father again and sent a deceptively innocent smile. Once more, she was ignorant of her own power as it stretched out from her mind; the desire that Déodat like her forcing out the tendrils of dark magic toward him. “Mama has not taken us North yet. Is it very different from the Edge?”

[ooc:: Déodat's turn for d'Arcy's dopamine shot. Sorry for the wait my lovimies! back in Michigan now and ready for ALL the posting!]

it's bloody and raw
but i swear it is sweet
Image Credits

@Déodat @Nyx
don't test my love

Déodat’s brows shoot up when his son speaks and he glances Nyx. The sound of girlish laughter fills the air and he looks at d’Arcy. It is even more surprising He lets her intervene, unsure of how the mother might wish to address the situation. After a few moments he finally finds the humor in the situation and gives out a loud laugh. He then looks over at Nyx with an amused expression on his face. “I shouldn’t be so surprised by the tactlessness of these two,” he says glancing at the twins. “They are the children of soldiers not diplomats.” 

d’Arcy steps forward and offers her apologies. It comes as a surprise and even he can already see the silvertongue developing in his daughter. Wherever she got it he is already sure she didn’t get it from his side of the family. He smiles down at his daughter and dips his head. “It is quite alright.” He says with a slight smile. Deep down he knows if any other had spoken in such idiocy he would’ve met them with contempt, but  these are his children.. There are few things that his children could do to not earn his forgiveness.

Again d’Arcy presses him with questions and he is quite glad to answer.  Much like his son, her magic sinks it’s claws into him and the warmth on his face only seems to grow. There is almost excitement in his eyes as he thinks of his home.

“It is very different from the Edge.” He explains, “We are nestled high up in the mountains. It is always very cold and very snowy, even during the summer time.” He is eager to one day show his twins the Basin.. Perhaps introduce them to their sisters should he ever find Arya or Mirabella again. “The north is filled solely with our kind.. A sanctuary for the crowned of Helovia.” It is an unconscious attempt to plant the seed of his ‘racism’. A subtle nudge to push his children to the understanding of their superiority, simply a father’s need for his children to see they are valuable.  

"talk talk talk"

Skin to bone, steel to rust
@Nyx @d'Arcy
con by aihnna@dA

Libertad Posts: 24
Absent Abyss
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 2 ::Tallsun
Minx

Libertad grins at d’Arcy’s laughter before he joins in with some giggles of his own. There is nothing quite as satisfying as to make his sister happy. He opens his mouth to say more but then his mother comes down on him. There a sharp nip on his hindquarters which elicits a squeal and both ears pin against his skull. Part of him wants to kick out at his mother, not let himself be so easily pushed around but decides against it.. The fae knows that it will only be rewarded with another nip on his hind area.

“Yes Ma,” Libertad grumbles, though he doesn’t offer up any apologies. There is nothing to apologize for. He meant what he had said.. The red man in front of him was ugly, regardless of whether he is his sire or not. D’Arcy swoops in with sweet apologies. For once he won’t follow her example. He is not graced with such delicate diplomatic abilities.. d’Arcy is kthe blossom of the rose and he is the thorns, his sole purpose to protect and sting. No matter how little protection his sister might offer him he is always ready to bleed for her, let his own blood mix with that of his roses.

Even as his father offers forgiveness, Libertad is not sorry. He glances over at the dog and mumbles to himself under his breath. Only when d’Arcy inquires about their father’s home does he grow intrigued. As Déodat explains the north he makes a face.

“Why stay where it’s cold?” Libertad looks over at his mother, “Why would you want to be an icicle?” He tilts his head as he stares over at his father.

In my city I'm a young god

* tag me in all replies please
*force is permitted at all times
*pixel by padarii@dA

D'Arcy steps in immediately to protect her twin, and despite her embarassment Nyx finds a grin fighting its way into life on her jaws. That's my girl. Protecting her brother, putting her body on the line...it is a sure sign that the filly will become a fine young warrioress when she ages, and that's exactly what Nyx wants. She fixes both children with her stern glare, but makes no move to continue with her punishment. Libertad doesn't apologise, which earns him a roll of her eyes, but she says nothing else - if her children are as stubborn as she, then demanding an apology will only make it less likely to appear.

The filly asks her father if the north is much different from the Edge, and Nyx finds herself absently nodding even though the question is not addressed to her. The Basin, in all its snowy, icy glory, is the polar (no pun intended) opposite of the warmth and sanctity of the Edge. For one horrible moment, the ironheart wonders if her children would debate leaving her to live with their father - she quickly quiets this worry, though, because even if they do express such a desire, it could do them good. Not that she'd want to lose their company, but spending time in the frozen wilderness could lend hardiness to their young bodies and sculpt them into fine warriors. The blood bay stallion's words bring a chuckle to the steel soldier's jaws. "Fair point." Tact isnt something she excels in, after all.

As the twins' sire describes the Basin as a sanctuary for the crowned of Helovia, the mare stiffens and a frown etches itself onto her face. She does not want racist offspring. It's something she can overlook in their father, because to each their own, but her twins...she does not want them bound by hatred for the other species, when the Edge is filled with all colour and creed of horse. Although it's ultimately their choice whether they want to be racist or not, she doesn't like the idea of Deodat indoctrinating their young minds just yet. But, she chides herself, this is what happens when you bed a racist. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. It's a disturbing thought, and one she'd rather not dwell on right now.

She focuses instead on Libertad's next words, chuckling at his description. "The cold north breeds strong, hardy horses, Libertad. Your father is one such horse, so the blood of the icicle runs through your veins." She flashes him a wink, her earlier ire forgotten.

@d'Arcy

Laine

The little shadow listened attentively as her father described his northern home, but a little frown fell over her face. His explanation had left her less than satisfied. Ice, snow, such thing had been described to her but having never lived though a frostfall she has no real point of reference to the phenomena he had described. Snow, ice, the words meant little to herald she was hard pressed to imagine what real difference they could make on a landscape. She came across this exact conundrum so often: a lack of personal experience, a gap in her knowledge and it frustrated the girl to no end. Cobalt eyes went searching for her mother’s face and found her nod a confirmation. Basin: snow, cold, strong. Edge: warm, safe, home. In her mind she arranged the information and ffiled it away with all the rest before Déodat finished his words.

Crowned? The figure of speech is lost on the child and again she looks quizzically up at her father. Here was another of those confounded things, something she ad been told of but never seen. “I thought crowns were for kings. We only have one king in the Edge, the big one with stripes but I don’t think her wears one.” It was proving to be a tough day for logic. “Are there lots of kings in the Basin? Did you leave your crown there?” d’Arcy’s gaze shifted to glance over at her brother and the thought that sprang to mind made her grin. He’s like a prince then… He should have a crown one day, I could get him one! One day maybe she would. When she was old enough to know all the things that grown-ups know, when she knew everything she could give her brother anything he wanted.

“Mama?” she swivels her little head around to the iron heart and follows with her body, shuffling little feet in the sand. Nix had said that the north made strong horses, but she was string, wasn’t she? Certainly the strongest d’Arcy knew in any case; her mother was the General. “Mama might we go and visit someday? I like our home but we don’t have any snow or crowns. I want to see the crowns, I bet they’re shiny!”

it's bloody and raw
but i swear it is sweet
Image Credits
don't test my love