the Rift

[OPEN] can't stand the reflection that they see

Persephone Posts: 45
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 hh :: 6 (ages in Orangemoon)
Alecto :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams ChaoticMelodies
Persephone
I walked.

It was aimless, perhaps, the way that I meandered listlessly through the star-studded waters; my heart ached, longing for the days of old when the most worrisome thing in my life was pleasing my mother. Those were easier times, to be sure, an age before my father's betrayal, my dearest friend's disappearance, my homeland's demise - a time when I could afford to be carefree and lighthearted, for despite my mother's constant disapproval, at least there was happiness to be found somewhere. Now look at me: just another lost soul from the Rift, struggling to avoid the wrath of some foreign god, afraid to see what lies beyond the still, silent waters of the Halcyon Flats.

The loneliness is suffocating. There are no waves here, where the land meets the sea in a slow descent into deeper and deeper waters. It is calm; perhaps, to some, it is peaceful. But I have been here for too long, terrified of venturing deeper into this new land to which I have escaped my father's abuse - and I have been here on my own, with naught to rely on except my own wits. I leave much to be desired, it would seem, even here. Even now.

My magic is gone - at least, the magic that I hated so strongly for the way it was used against my will. The gentle pulsing of my coat remains, but that has always been a source of peace for me. What better ability is there than to know each time a soul enters the world? If I could ever actually be present for a birth, actually see the source of my gentle glowing - but that requires me to leave these gods-forsaken sands, and I simply cannot muster the courage to venture forth.

If only someone would come and save me.

If only I could be saved from myself.

"Speech."

OOC ;; open to any, but also @Kratos if you would like, dear?
lost in hell, my dear. It's not so dreadful here
Image Credit
[Image: 5626e4bc4fe1a]
pixel by Kiara <3

Please tag Persephone in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.
Persephone always goes by the alias "Cora."

Want to plot with Persephone? Visit her plot page here!

Agnodice Posts: 70
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2hh :: 8
Herophilos :: Plain Black Dragon :: Toxic Breath prissy

Flowers followed in her tracks, falling from her hair and landing softly in the shallow waters. Each that fell was soon replaced, a bud blossoming in the lost one's place. She was almost used to the flowers, slowly beginning to recognize them as part of her, rather than simply stemming from her. They appeared at an uneasy tide in her life, one that rose her to a dangerously low front. But like the tides, her life rose above it's tumultuous hours, and for now, would remain high, hopeful for better days.

But still she found herself wandering, searching for a purpose in these lands. She was stoic in her job as a healer, no one seemed to need her expertise. She used her magic to heal injured woodland creatures, but even they were few and far between. She turned to gathering herbs, but the fertile soil of her herd already harbored abundant amounts of useful herbs. Finding useful ones elsewhere that were in season was proving to be an arduous task.

She turned to the Halycon Flats, one of Helovia's less explored terrains, in search of herbs instead. She wasn't particularly fond of the Flats, for her tail dragged in the water, making it smell of salt and seaweed for days. But she was hopeful, and remembered the Flats as serene enough to spend a couple of tranquil days at.

She moved her hooves through the water, searching under rocks and seaweed for any signs of useful, undiscovered herbs, her mind focused solely on the task at hand. When she saw the sunset colored mare from afar, she considered simply continuing with her self-assigned tasked, but the mare seemed to...glow?

Agnodice slipped through the starry waters towards the sunset girl, glass basket in mouth and flowers encasing her dainty bodice as they fell. "Hello," She murmured when she was close enough, setting her basket down in the water by her hooves. Fortunately, it proved to be a sturdy creation. "I'm Agnodice, Caretaker of the Hidden Falls," She offered, falling short on what else to say. 'Yes, I, uh, saw you glowing and wanted to know what that's about,' lacked the affable tone she was trying to leak into her social interactions. Admitting it would surely make her sound judgmental (which she was).

Therefore, Agnodice stood quietly, turquoise gaze fixated awkwardly on the sunset girl, for she lacked the social dexterity to make pleasant conversation about topics she found trivial with strangers she found even more trivial.

@Persephone

Image Credits
[Image: 5694548be0939]
You’d stick the world into your bedside lane
It’s boredom makes you callous to all pain

Outcast
Persephone
The silence was maddening, and the break afforded me by the appearance of the ivory mare was a welcome necessity for the sake of my sanity. She was lovely, with a coat that was the lightest golden hue I had ever seen and a mane as black as night; brilliant, curious turquoise shone from eyes set in dark stripes along her head. She was adorned with flowers, and I found myself enthralled. Of course, I hadn't the slightest clue that she was equally enamored with my not-so-subtle, periodic glowing; but if it were mutual curiosity that drew her to me and me to her, then who was I to complain?

Still, despite the friendly nature of her greeting, nerves frothed beneath the surface, reservation no doubt shimmering in my eyes. As desperate as I was for companionship, there was little that could convince my flighty nature to calm; the mare roused my ever-present flight response, and I could not help but shift uneasily, wringing my tail. Without really considering it, I lowered my head slightly, peering up to meet the buckskin's eyes submissively. Everything in my body language offered the question of whether or not I would be accepted.

"Hello," I answered uncertainly, my gentle voice wavering ever-so-slightly. "My name is Cora." It was habit by now to offer my alias rather than my true name; I could no longer remember any who knew the truth of my calling. Nonetheless, Cora was as much my name as Persephone, and it was easier, almost, to hide behind the façade I had built for myself. I paused, unsure, for none of the rest of the mare's greeting made any sense to me. A caretaker? The Hidden Falls? I had yet to venture beyond these shallow waters, save for the occasional meal; I certainly had not found names to associate with any of the surrounding areas.

Did I ask? Was her introduction supposed to mean something? Would I look ridiculous for needing clarification? Wasn't it better to simply remain quiet? Surely I could be no more inadequate if I were to be silent than if I were to ask a stupid question. Instead, I said only, "It is very nice to meet you, Agnodice." Yes, that was proper, wasn't it? At least, it was back home. Maybe I wouldn't need to say more. Maybe she would drive the conversation and I could simply follow along.

"Speech."

@Agnodice
Image Credit
pixel by Kiara <3

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Outcast

Agnodice watched the mare, captivated by her mannerisms and sunset hues. She was submissive, her voice thin and wavering. The duchess was unused to being treated this way. Once, many years ago, she was used to it, to being called princess and your highness. She was used to being bowed before and watching others wither beneath her gaze. But here, in this land that she had lived in for a handful of moonrises, she had grown accustomed to being the one who withered beneath others' gazes.

The doctor took to the shift nicely for a moment before realizing she was not, in fact, in her old home anymore. She needn't be treated as anything more than the lowly nurse she was. She dipped her head to Cora's introduction, flashing her a fleeting smile. She took note of her pause, of what to add to her words. Agnodice stood, curious, perhaps a bit disappointed in the words that followed the pause.

"And you as well," Agnodice murmured, turquoise gaze slipping across the length of Cora's body. She was interested in knowing more of the sunset colored mare, but she seemed as if she wouldn't be telling her much. She found little evidence of scarring, and so, she concluded the mare wasn't a fighting sort. She was adorned with a flower crown and other rose themed jewelry, the adorning features another aspect for her to muse upon, but ultimately find no clue within them.

Agnodice's gaze moved to the sky, watching for clouds as she thought of what to say next. "Are you on journey, Cora?" the doctor inquired without a glance towards the sunset girl. She figured knowing not where Cora was from was fine, but where she going mattered more.

Image Credits

Outcast
Persephone
I stood between two pools, my reflection shimmering on the nighttime water, periodically providing a gentle glow as a new soul comes into the world. A particularly dull glow makes me wonder just how far this land stretches, and if the borders confine my magic to within; how large is this new world, and how far does my ability stretch? How far would I have to walk to find one of these souls, just born, waiting to be cherished and adored? I wonder if these Helovians are better than my own people in that regard. Do they love their children, or do they manipulate and use them for their own ends? Is this a better world, or a worse one? I think back to my experience with the monster here, a slight shudder passing through me at the thought. Wild gods do not make for a peaceful existence, but does that make Helovia worse?

Perhaps the land itself matters less than the people in it - and so my mind is drawn back to Agnodice, who has murmured her own polite acknowledgement. I take note again of the flowers following in her trail. Surely one who has a train of petals cannot be evil? She has certainly been kind to me, seeking out my company in this damp wasteland (perhaps I am being overdramatic, but desperation will do that to a girl - the Halcyon Flats are really quite pretty, when one is in the mood to appreciate them). I followed her gaze as she glanced to the sky, wondering what it was she pondered; but quickly my eyes were drawn to hers again as she, too, looked down, almost as though racing to seem as though I had been focused on her the whole time. I cannot explain why, but it seemed important to offer her my undivided attention - such is my way.

"I... suppose I am," I reply hesitantly. A journey... it is too much to ask of me, too much for me to undertake, but what choice do I have? I have landed in this land, and I cannot simply wallow in the waters here until I die, can I? I have lingered, too afraid to venture on, but that cannot be the end. No, a journey is what I need to pursue, to find someone, somewhere, who can protect me, who I can follow, who I can serve. "I never meant to be, but I fell through the Rift, and now..." My eyes start to fill with bitter tears, my (not so deeply) buried fear and sadness and pain flooding to the surface.

I am suddenly angry at myself. I had run away from home, back in the Rift, and what was the difference between being alone there and being alone here? Somehow I had reached a breaking point, decided that I could no longer subject myself to my father's whims; somehow I had managed to leave, to escape his manipulation and my mother's disappointment. So I had fallen a bit further from the proverbial tree than I had meant. Why did that bring me to my knees, leave me unable and unwilling to venture further into this mess I had brought upon myself? It's all my fault, it's all my fault -

It's all my fault.

"Speech."

OOC ;; @Agnodice
Image Credit
pixel by Kiara <3

Outcast

Her head still tilted up to the sky, pondering the velvet night and shards of planets glimmering in it's depths. She found it easier to look to the sky than to sunset girl, for the hues of her voice were not as pleasant as the hues of her coat, making the contradicting mare dismal to look at, despite what beauty the glow of her fur promised.

The sunset girl spoke again, an answer to a mostly trivial question Agnodice asked. A journey. Everyone, she supposed, was on a journey, be it physical or mental. Therefore, she expected the answer from the mare to be what she heard. Agnodice was pleased for a moment, till her eyes fell from the velveteen sky and landed on the silken sunset of a girl as divine, sorrowful lyrics left her lips.

The doctor could not hide the sympathy that she felt for Cora, her lips falling apart, muzzle still aimed at the sky. Her chin fell slowly back down, along with her eyes, now dropping to the water. Her whole body seemed to shrink, to diminish along with the end of the jumbled, tragic lyrics from Cora.

The duchess moved slowly then, bending her neck and opening the glass basket at her hooves. She fumbled around in it for a moment before producing a dark green plant with fuzzy flowers, though she tossed aside the flowers. She nodded to herself before grabbing a daisy like flower from the basket and a couple more green leaves, though these leaves had a rather distinct, minty smell. She closed the basket and placed the assortment upon it's lid, picking the basket up and moving cautiously closer to Cora, a trail of flowers and petals littering the water behind her.

Agnodice placed the basket in front of them tenderly, giving Cora a small smile of reassurance. "This," she motioned towards the first set of dark green leaves, "is diamond-leaf willow, to strengthen you for your journey," she moved her nose then to the daisy like flower, "this is chamomile, to help your mind strengthen you, and this -" she motioned then towards the last set of dark green minty smelling leaves, "is peppermint. It tastes wonderful!" Agnodice exclaimed, a flurry of petals erupting from her hair with her body's excitement. "All for you," She added with a confirming nod.

She looked to Cora eagerly, hoping, praying this would be enough to help the sunset girl on her journey.

@Persephone this took 1 million years sosososo sorry for the wait ;~;

Image Credits

Outcast
Persephone
It's all my fault, it's all my fault.

The familiar refrain started again, chorusing through my mind in the voices of myself, my mother, my father. It was all I had heard since I had chosen to leave home, all I had thought since I found myself ripped from my homeland and torn through the Rift. It was all I had felt since the beginnings of my childhood failures, and suddenly it all seemed too much to bear. How much pain and anguish was I meant to hold in this life? For how long was I to endure the tortures of the world? When would I emerge from the darkened shroud of my existence to shine as much as my body already does?

I am not a pleasant creature to be around, I know that. And yet, through my stuttered, stumbling, awkward pleasantries, Agnodice has remained by my side with patience. I am embarrassed for her to have seen me like this, for her to be subjected to my misery; but I am also grateful for her kindness and her grace. I can see the pity in her eyes, in the lines of her face, and though a part of me does not want her sympathy, I find myself calmed by the compassion inherent in it.

And yet... perhaps I am placing my trust too easily in the gentle mare. Perhaps she is simply manipulating me; it would not be the first time I had fallen into such a trap, nor would hers be the worst betrayal I have experienced. I watch as she begins to search the glass basket that I have only just now noticed at her hooves, intrigued, but uneasy. I wonder if many such items are present in these lands, if they are difficult to come by. I wonder if she is going to trick me, or poison me, or both. Perhaps I have fallen into yet another cruel game that I am not crafty or cruel enough to win.

As the mare moves closer, I momentarily tense, my tail wringing uncertainly as my ears flicker back and forth. Still, she moves slowly, almost cautiously, and I find myself leaning toward her with curiosity. As she begins to speak eagerly, explaining the array of herbs laid on top of the basket, I feel my confusion returning. I sniff the leaves carefully, pleased to find that the peppermint does indeed smell delicious, then peer at the mare. "But I... I don't have anything to offer in return," I protest softly, despite how badly I want to simply take the gift. I don't believe it will be that simple - it never has been before. "Why would you want to help me when you don't even know me?" She did say that she was a - what was it - a Caretaker? "Is this... what Caretakers do?"

"Speech."

OOC ;; @Agnodice No worries, dear! <3
Image Credit
pixel by Kiara <3

Outcast

Maelstrom thoughts rode high on the sunset girl's tide, that much she could tell. She knew nothing of the mare's background, or if she was worthy of anything Agnodice offered her, but she knew tears were best shed in the comfort of another. She would forever be willing to be that comfort, both a brilliant attribute and a fault that would surely be her downfall.

So she was confused by the mare's tentative manner. Agnodice's brow furrowed, her eyes turning conflicted. Why would anyone hesitate to take peppermint? The other herbs she could almost understand denying, though they would do no harm, but peppermint?! It did little to nothing! It would ease an upset stomach and tasted magnificent whilst doing so. She was rather passionate about the mint and the tea it produced. Did Cora not like peppermint?! How?!

Her oceanic gaze dipped to the starry water at their hooves, mind racing on thoughts of peppermint and sunsets and planets far, far away.

But when Cora voiced her concerns, she found herself smiling understandingly (partially due to being relieved that this wasn't because Cora didn't like peppermint). "I need nothing in return except to see you feeling well,"  She replied softly, "it matters not to me who you are, only that you are cared for. This is what Caretakers do, yes."  Agnodice nodded slowly, her mind flicking back to months past where she had healed horses she had never even learned the name of. She found her profession to be more than simply healing cuts and bruises, it was mending broken hearts and wiping fallen tears.

@Persephone

Image Credits

Outcast
Persephone
Why do you want to help me?

The question dances in my mind, twirling and spinning, making my thoughts whirl with confusion. I am captivated by her eyes, their turquoise kindness rooting me in reality when everything around me threatens to dissolve into fear and ruin. There simply must be a trick, mustn't there? No one offers help without any string attached, without expecting that it will be returned one day. The promise of needing something from me in the future is what drives me to shy away from her offer - she might ask for something I do not wish to give, and I will have no choice but to obey.

Again.

That is, after all, what I have done, is it not? It is the defining aspect of my character, aside from my obvious timidity - I am Cora the Compliant. I am a follower, never a leader, and I have never had the inner strength to be anything but that.

But that isn't true, is it? I left home, a voice whispered in the back of my mind. I was brave, that once. I had recognized that my actions, influenced by my father, were wrong, and I had put a stop to it. Perhaps running was a coward's way out, but at least I had done something, right?

Agnodice smiles, and I offer a tentative one in return, pricking my ears forward in spite of myself at the expression. She says that she needs nothing in return, and I find myself cocking my head to the side, bewildered, as though to say, are you sure? But I am distracted by her job - her Caretaker title, as it were. "In that case, I thank you." I accept her proffered herbs, watching her thoughtfully. "How does one become a Caretaker?" I ask. Perhaps... perhaps one day, I could help others as well.

"Speech."

OOC ;; @Agnodice - so sorry this took so long!
Image Credit
pixel by Kiara <3

Outcast

Her heart fluttered, elated, for the sunset girl had smiled back. The feeling dances through her bones, sizzles across her pale skin. Her curvaceous ears strain forward, their tips touching fondly, eager to hear more from Cora. The feeling was wondrous, reminding her why she loved healing, why she still healed after so many years of it.

The duchess dipped her head in response to her thank you, her forelock slipping down her exotically marked skin, flowers and petals falling to the water below. She grabbed a bit of peppermint for herself, sucking on the leaf as she continued to listen to the mare. Her smile grew, excited that the sunset girl was interested in her profession.

The duchess paused for a moment, thinking over her words. Part of her was eager to drag the girl to the Falls, to convert her to their teachings, but she didn't want to sound biased or as if she was trying to pressure her into joining them. Agnodice loved the Falls in a strange way. She found little there to pledge her allegiance to, but the waterfalls and the plush earth there had casted a spell upon her heart. But this girl had her own path to forge in Helovia, and it would not necessarily be the same as hers.

"One could begin by joining a herd. The doctors in the herd, chosen by Gods and monarchs alike, will teach one the ways of healing. There are variations of the Caretakers in the other herds, but  Caretakers are specific to my herd, the Hidden Falls. The doctors there are truly talented; I feel lucky to be guided by their teachings," Agnodice replied, her speech only occasionally slurred by the mint in her mouth.

hnng so sorry for the wait ;-; @Persephone

Image Credits

Outcast
Persephone
I do not know what I expected her to say, but it certainly was not anything about herds. I knew that others resided in Helovia, of course, but I had not stopped to consider that herds might have made any kind of safe haven in the land. I had stayed in or near the Halcyon Flats for the entirety of my short time here, venturing away only to find sustenance. That I might have been offered safe passage, the protection of warriors, a home... the thought astounded me.

I lowered my gaze to the ground, attempting to collect my thoughts. In the still waters, my reflection stared back at me. It was the same face that had always been, except that now there was something akin to hope shining in my otherwise bleak eyes. Agnodice had done that - and she had done it without desiring anything in return. I was grateful, but I was overwhelmed - I felt that I had learned so much, and that the most important part of our conversation was still yet to come.

For I needed to know about the herds. I needed to find my way to some semblance of a home.

"Can anyone join a herd? Can anyone become a doctor?" I asked, my eyes flicking up to hers once more. My tail swished against my back legs, my excitement making me restless. "What are the herds like? Do you like the Hidden Falls? Would they - would they accept me?"

"Speech."

OOC ;; @Agnodice - no worries at all, darling! There's no rush <3
Image Credit
pixel by Kiara <3

Outcast

She smiled, understandingly so, and nodded her dainty, exotically lined head. Petals and flowers fell from her mane, scattering the shallow waters. The doctor held back a laugh, for the sunset girl was practically assaulting her with questions now. Moments ago she had been so quiet, so tentative. The girl had blossomed, her sunset turning to a sunrise only due to an ephemeral conversation.

"Anyone can, yes," Agnodice began, the mint her mouth dissipating as she answered the girl's questions one by one, her speech becoming far less slurred. "The herd in the southern desert, the Dragon's Throat, is...formidable. They're known for their warriors. The one to the north, the Aurora Basin, is mostly unicorns. They're rather secluded, but respected. The World's Edge I know little of; it's to the west. I know their King is a good man, their cliffs are majestic, and their doctors are talented. I like the Hidden Falls, though. Their waterfalls allow for the greenest of pastures there, and our people are kind, our leaders strong,"  She paused, eyes flicking to the side as she thought of the Falls. She had only met one horse there that she found to be a pain, but even he was tolerable most of the time. It was true, she liked living in the Falls.

Her gaze flicked back to Cora, her features uncharacteristically soft. Perhaps it was because of the peppermint, or maybe it was that she actually liked the uniquely colored mare. "I'm sure any herd would be happy to have you, though the Falls would be the happiest,"  She winked, playful, still trying not sound as if she were pressuring the girl. Her goal was to be persuasive.

@Persephone <33

Image Credits

Outcast
Persephone
My mind is in an uproar, swirling and twirling excitedly around this new concept of home and family, things that I never thought would be possible for me here.  I had been spending my time kicking myself for running way, proud for standing up to my father but dismayed at the life that my choices had led me to.  I had been falling further and further into a pit of darkness and despair, losing every glimmer of hope that had once defined me as I strayed further from the light.  Shadows had just begun to take me, and then --

And then Agnodice had appeared to lure me back into sanity, to remind me of who I was and that it was not enough that I should just lie down and succumb to the blackness that was suffocating me.  She had come in with her light and her kindness and her generosity and brought my ailing soul back to life.  It was something that I would never be able to thank her for, not properly, and it was something that would tie me to her for eternity.  Already there was something new and happy bubbling within me - there was hope, there was direction, there was home, all just waiting somewhere in this land for me to find it.

There was kindness and something akin to warmth in Agnodice's gaze as she looked at me, explaining the politics of Helovia.  Of course, it was never a question which herd I would choose - I would follow familiarity over the unknown any time.  I grinned, glee making a rare appearance on my face as I resisted the urge to prance happily in place.  "Oh, I would be honored to join the Falls!"  I would follow Agnodice there, would join their herd, would learn to heal - my coat pulsed brightly, a sign of a new life being brought into the world.  It was fitting - I felt as though I myself were being reborn, as though my magic was making a shown of my awakening.

"Speech."
Image Credit
pixel by Kiara <3