the Rift

[OPEN] Purple Steam[Crafting Lesson/Gift?]

Eldala Posts: 64
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.0 hh :: 3yrs (Ages in Frostfall) HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Capro :: Girgentana Goat :: None Goatfairy

ELDALA wanders towards the Basin in the late evening sunlight after her night out on those lush islands. Like a walk of shame, minus the shame, the salty-sweet taste of the ocean still on her tongue. It had taken her just about as long to get back from there as it had from the Threshold to home. Though she's already gained quite a bit of muscle since then and found the distance to be far more manageable now. /I don't think I could ever be happier than I am in this moment./ It was a thought of one living in the moment, certainly, but also one most often had by youths. Not even a month had passed by and the small mare had already experienced so much. She'd seen different landscapes, witnessed the magic of the giving tree, and met many new and exotic faces. If this was to be her life until her time came she could be no happier. The hazelnut mare passes through the huge sentinels and finds she no longer fears them but, instead, looks upon them fondly. They were the markers of her homeland and seeing them after a hard day's travel were cause for exhalation and a good stretch.

She looks around as she stretches and, seeing no one, makes her way towards the other end of the valley. The Basin was already under a good carpet of snow now but the day had been warm whilst she'd been gone and the cold weather birds had come out to play. Her ears followed the remnants of their airy songs as they echoed across the beautifully desolate land. The trees, the clearing, the lake, and the mountains made up everything her eyes touched; alone, they were wonderfully simple but, together, made a complex landscape which was a sight to behold.

The little mare soon reaches her destination: the hot springs. There she finds a nice, secretive corner where she can begin her work. She drops her soaked moss(now wrapped in big leaves and grass to keep it from drying out) and begins to look about for a good sized rock in the general shape of a bowl. She doesn't need to search long, for living surrounded by mountains of rock does have its advantages, before finding just the right one. Obtaining the properly shaped branches takes a bit longer, though, and she finds the sun is near gone by the times she's done.

If Eldala had thought the materials difficult to find, the setting up of her makeshift boiling pan was even harder. She frowns and curses multiple times as the branches fight against being placed in their spot over the hottest corner of the hot spring. Eventually though, the branches are set up in a nice way. The bowl sits just on top of the water without being submerged(and therefore losing all the dye) and she hopes this will be enough to properly warm the dye and wool. The sea snail remains(mixed with sea salt) are added to the bowl along with some water, birch bark placed on top to prevent some evaporation, and thus it stays for around 5 days.

She had dutifully monitored the brew, adding water when it was needed or moving the bowl about and so on, but now was the time to add the wool. She'd grabbed some from Johnny's cave while he was out and hoped he wouldn't mind. After all, the horse still had a massive pile of the material.It was the ultimate moment of truth, really, for this moment would either make or break her gift to Johnny. The mare stayed nearby the makeshift pot the entire day, checking periodically and shoving it around in there with a stick, before deciding it was done. As she gently wrings out the excess dye she notes that the wool has taken on a REALLY lovely color. Certainly, it was not the exact color she remembered from her birth home, but it was still a nice shade. Here and there were imperfections, obvious ones, but she knew that those wouldn't affect the overall color once weaving began. Pride filled her soul at the sight of this work and she couldn't have been happier.  

Once it was all properly processed she began to bounce around, looking for a good way to carry the stuff back to his cave. /Perhaps I could just leave it in his cave and surprise him that way? Or maybe wait until he comes out? Hmm.../ She hoped he'd show her what all she might do with this. Maybe she could even grow her craft some today. It had been an entire week's worth of work, after all.

@Johnny

Anyone else who might want something trimmed with purple dyed wool drop on in. =p Or just if your character is curious too!

*Eldala used the "sea snails" she found on the riptide isles to try and make some Tyrian purple wool. It came out ok, with quite a few imperfections in the dye(I figured it would work out this way since it was her first time trying to dye something) but I figured it wouldn't come out as an UBER disaster and therefore be usable as trim or a design/accent thread for a small item. =) Her plan is to gift it to Johnny for all his help. No magics used, just like toil-age

-Pixel by Niki-

△ All friendly/neutral contact is fine but no permanent injury/maiming/death △
△ Please tag me for everything you can, it helps me remember△

Calder Posts: 23
Absent Abyss atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 6 (Birdsong) HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Kiki

- - C A L D E R - -
hold back the river

Calder had become far more familiar with the Basin and the layout of things here.  Unlike last time, he had not felt the urge to leave the Basin since returning.  He was much more interested in exploring within the land’s borders.  He wanted to get to know his herdmates and to involve himself in life here rather than remaining on the outskirts.  He knew it was time to move on and build a new life for himself and it seemed that there was all the potential in the world in this strange place.

He’d discovered that many of the Basin’s residents resided in caves to keep themselves safe from the cold, though Calder was not attracted to the premise of living in a Cave.  Calder was built for the cold so would rather sleep under the bright aurora than enclosed in stone.  He’d seen the great lake in the center of the herd.  He’d, of course, seen the monstrous looking sentinels standing guard at the border though they weren’t as fearsome as they were confusing to the brute. One thing that great stallion had been surprised to find here in the mountains was warm water.  Hot springs.  The mountain he’d come from had no such springs, but he’d known what they were instantly.  He was drawn by the steam to investigate, and was surprised to find a wee mare bustling around the springs with all manner of things by the time he got there.

“Hello!” he offered, still a fair distance from the mare who seemed busy enough in her task. As he drew nearer, Calder could see her bustling around with a number of things he didn’t particularly understand – though he did want to.  “I’m Calder.  What is it you’re doing?” he asked, and the genuine curiosity was evident in every syllable.  “Are ye one of the crafters?” It seemed like the answer was fairly obvious, but he didn’t want to assume anything about the mare.  He thought about offering his help, but so far she seemed to be handling herself quite well and he didn’t want to insult the lass, so he held off on his offer.

Calder found himself fascinated in all the bits and pieces strewn about – there were no crafters in his old herd.  Every now and then the river otters presented them with gifts, but they were plain folk, for the most part.  He wondered what else could be created here – and what the end result of all the lass’ hard work would be. 

image credit || Tags: @Johnny @Eldala

Calder wants to be a crafter so throwing his big hairy butt into this thread to "help" xD
Please tag Calder in all posts.
Force & magic are permitted but please check before inflicting severe and/or permanent damage.
Pixel by Sourful

Johnny Posts: 161
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13 hh :: 10 years
Jellybean :: Common Griffin :: Molten Dagger Sarah
I’d love to say that I noticed the wool missing from my stockpiles but I honestly hadn’t. The pile was slowly getting smaller, but that was because I had been crafting things with it so I didn’t think anything of it. In the spring I was going to have to make the trek into the mountains to find the shedding from the mountain goats again though, because my bed (as I slept on the unused materials) was getting smaller and that made me sad. I was going to have to start looking for other options aside from the thick wool of the mountain goats and it was with that in mind that I wiggled my way into my crafting bag and set off into Basin earlier in the day.

Unfortunately, not knowing what made good crafting materials, I had filled the bag up with all the different plants I could find in hopes that one of them would be good. Experimentation seemed to be the name of the game as far as crafting went and for the most part it seemed like I had free reign. A couple cutie-pies had show interest in becoming crafters too, which was a delightful little treat I hadn’t even thought of before.

I was making my way back to my cave when I spotted the pair near the hot springs. I mean, they kind of stood out. I recognized Eldala immediately - the golden gal that I showed around with Tangere. I’ll never forget her because she was one of the ones that was interested in crafting! Completely endeared herself to me with just that alone, nevermind the fact that she was a delight.

And with her - I mean, what is with the water in Helovia? Were all the stallions but me great massive things? Will I grow taller the more time I spend here? I’m trying to picture what I would look like and because I’m staring at the dappled mountain all I’m picturing is me with a giant figure and a pink mane.

Alright so 17hh me would be pretty damn smokin’. I hope whatever magic is in the water here gets to work fast.

For now, though, my normal, short and utterly soft figure is the one that crosses the distance over towards the pair and I recognize that there’s pieces of wool here and there - only it’s purple! And wet! Weird. “Eldala my dear! How delightful, what are you up to?” But manners are also required and I look over/up to that incredibly intimidating looking stallion who I just managed to catch the name of when I was bouncing on over. “Calder, if I heard correctly? I’m Johnny, the Basin’s Weaver.” Sometimes I wish that my title had a little more flair to it but I’m proud of it all the same.  
come with me, honey
I'm your sweet sugar candyman
image credits

@Eldala
if you want to teach them a little bit about dying wool I believe you can count this as holding a lesson for the seasonal contest! :D
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts

THE young hazelnut mare had scarce begun to contemplate her options when a massive stallion wandered up to her. Yet another gigantic structure in this gigantic land. How he'd managed to plot towards her silently she'd no idea. Yes, as with many things, his arrival had escaped her and thus his called introduction caused her to jump rather high into the air. As soon as her head turns and she takes in the new horse though she immediately assumes a calm demeanor. . /Why, no, you did not just see me jump like three feet into the air. No sir, you did not./ She willed him silently to forget what he'd seen. Speaking of the "him" in question he was tall and had a structure really similar to her Ivezho..though entirely different at once. /Uhm, hold up. What? No, he is not my Ivezho. I shall not think that again. He's hot, he's young, he's lust and he's fire. He might even be power and playing with predation. But he is not "my Ivezho" at the moment. Bugger off, imbecile. No more of that....Feck, wait, am I missing what this one's saying? Has he said anything yet?/

To the little mare's internal relief, the honest looking stallion had not, in fact, begun his introduction yet. Though now she made sure her blue optics watched him intently, looking entirely calm and in control(or so she hoped). She had been in the midst of cleaning up when he'd called out his greeting and, now, at his introduction and question she remembers the task at hand. Looking down at the wool pile and then back up she exclaims, "Oh! Yes. Well, sortof. I'm actually just an apprentice. Eldala is my name and Johnny is the master Weaver." She beams a bright smile at him, "I was just finishing up dying some wool for him as a surprise when you walked up."

It was in that moment that Master Sugarbutt himself walks up in jubilant exclamations that, she has to admit, make her beam with pride. "I'm so happy you're here! I was just finishing up my surprise for you! You've been so kind and have been a great mentor so I figured I'd try my hand at dying some wool for a small project of yours. There were a lot of Sea Snails when I went down to the islands next to the beach last week, so I chose the color purple. Its only too bad I couldn't find anything pink!" A light chuckle and happy eyes followed the tiny stud's movements. Anything for one of her first few acquaintances here in the Basin. He'd given her purpose here and she'd never stop being grateful to him for that. The other stud had been very honest and kind so far as well. The mare was happy as only one can be when someone enjoys a gift you're giving them being given before they even know it is theirs.

@Calder

@Johnny

-Pixel by Niki-

Calder Posts: 23
Absent Abyss atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 6 (Birdsong) HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Kiki

- - C A L D E R - -
hold back the river

“Sorry if I frightened ye lass, wasn’t my intent I assure ye,” he offered, sheepishly, feeling guilty that he had startled her when she’d been so studiously watching over her craft.  Wool, as it turns out, that she had managed to turn purple.  Fancy that! There were no purple sheep running around so this was one way to change colors.  Calder had had a friend once who had inadvertently slept in a blackberry patch just before his name day and managed to turn his arse quite a lovely shade of purple. That had been quite the sight when he had presented himself before the river with the others. It’s only then that Calder catches sight of the other that had joined them – the very man Eldala had named as the Basin’s master crafter.  However, Calder would be the first to admit that Johnny was not quite what he had in mind. He’s not entirely sure his mind was capable of conjuring up a creature quite like Johnny.  The big grey stallion managed to maintain his manners even through his surprise. 

“It’s nice to meet ye both,” Calder offered, with the dip of his head.  Both Eldala and the curious little fellow called Johnny stood a great deal smaller than he.  However, what Calder was having difficulty making sense of was Johnny himself.  He smelled sweeter than even the sweetest fruit he’d ever come across.  The large stallion tried not to make a big deal of it, but it just didn’t make sense and he just couldn’t let it go.  Why did the wee man smell edible?  Calder peeled his eyes away from the delicious smelling stallion and studiously studied his front hooves for a moment before Eldala began explaining just what it was that she had created.  It was the perfect distraction for the succulent conundrum that now plagued the brute.   “That’s verra clever, Eldala.  I never would have thought sea snails would turn somethin’ that color,” Calder certainly was impressed at the little mare’s ability to turn the creepy crawlies on the beach into something useful. 

“If ye are lookin’ to try pink next – perhaps ye could use raspberries?  I dunno if those even grow anywhere near here, but we used to have all sorts of berries in the mountains where I grew up that might turn a wee bit of wool pink if ye had enough of them,” he offered the gold mare a smile, hoping that maybe he could be helpful though he knew nothing of dying wool.  He then turned his blue eyes back to the perplexing little stallion. “What can ye make with something like this?” he asked, nodding to the colored wool, genuinely curious as to what the fragrant man was capable of.

image credit || Tags: @Johnny @Eldala

Finally! Sorry for delay. Feel so much better. :)
Please tag Calder in all posts.
Force & magic are permitted but please check before inflicting severe and/or permanent damage.
Pixel by Sourful

Johnny Posts: 161
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 13 hh :: 10 years
Jellybean :: Common Griffin :: Molten Dagger Sarah
Poor Calder. I’m not what most unicorns think of when they think of a magical creature that can make beautiful fabrics. I should probably be some wisened, grey old fart, someone who has dedicated his life to the art of crafting. As it was, I sort of stumbled into the role (though I most certainly do plan on dedicating my life to it). I am having a most wonderful time as the Weaver, gives me lots of chances to go running about and meeting such faces as those with me today!

No jumping or stretching of my neck will ever get me as tall as Calder though I have to admit that I straightened up a little bit when I noticed the difference. At least Eldala was a little closer to my height… and talking! Whoops!

No just kidding I was listening to everything. She was making me a surprise!!! Of course I was paying attention. My green eyes just lit up at the explanation and I laugh with delight as I inspect the wet, purple mass. “I do love pink but this purple is amazing! You used sea snails to make it?” Something told me I wasn’t going to like the sound of what she did to those poor sea snails, but it had a rather beautiful effect I had to say. “How did you dye it?” When someone wanted a particular colour, I had used berries to get the general effect before, but it looked as though she had gone through what looked like a rather complicated process! Hopefully she was willing to give up the secrets. My own method of squashing the berries seemed rather primitive in comparison.

The dappled mountain standing with us quickly proves that he’s got brains inside that beautiful noggin of his and I beam up at him at the mention of raspberries. Hey I had just been thinking about those! But I’m also curious about whether they would hold up to the process she had going on.

At the question directed my way, I barely need to think for any amount of time before answering - I had already been mulling over the same thing! “Oh anything! It’d make a lovely scarf, or a cloak! For any lassies you’ve got your eye on.” I wink at Calder while my mind continues to run away with the possibilities. It was too pretty of a colour to use on a bag, perhaps a blanket?
come with me, honey
I'm your sweet sugar candyman
image credits

@Eldala
[Image: Johnny%20by%20Aud_zpsi3ssx2s1.gif]
magic and physical force permitted at all times
vigorous licking strongly encouraged
please tag in all posts

ELDALA is quite pleased at the compliment offered her way by both Calder and her Master. Calder was first with his own quip, to which she replied humbly,"Thank you Calder but the only reason I knew to use them is because my home before Helovia was next to the ocean so much of our dyes came from there."  Then came Johnny's compliment. It was one which caused her to beam happily. /Good job Eldala, you've made your Master happy. Maybe someday you'll remember to keep working so that he'll move you up a rank./

Then he asks the golden question, the one she'd been waiting for, and it causes her beaming to increase exponentially. "Yes, indeed. Certain types of the snails emit a certain purple dye-goo when stressed or...well...squashed. You need to collect quite a lot but, after the dye is created, it is supposed to be much more lightfast than any other purple dye. This means that it will hold up to the sun's hot rays and take a long time to fade. Back home only the royals were allowed to wear the color."

She looks between Calder and Johnny, happy to be of some use to her herd, before continuing, "Any dye can be complicated to make though, really. The two most important things to remember when making a dye are this:

1. Whatever substance you're using to make the dye will need to be boiled in water or put in very hot water for quite some time before you can add the wool or silk to it.

2. You have to remember to add a "fixative" if you're using wool or silk. For berries and this purple dye you need salt. I think for other plant dyes you needed vinegar but I can't be sure. If you want to use cotton then things get even more complicated and you'll need an iron cauldron in addition to the dye.

I never learned how to make all of the dyes but I learned a few. One of the colors was the Sea Snail Purple. For this I gathered the snails and salt in a pad of moss to bring it home. Once here I rigged a little branch sling thing to hold a rock bowl that held the sea snail water mix. I kept it just inside the hot spring water, but not overflowing because that would have meant losing all my hard work, haha. It stayed covered and as hot as possible for about a week before I added the wool into the stuff. Once you get the wool in its the easiest part; all you have to do it check on it every once in a while to see if the dye has gotten as dark as you want it to be yet. The longer its in the darker it will get."

The little mare took a breath after all that talking. Eldala was pretty sure that was around the longest she'd ever continuously spoken. Hopefully, some of that had made sense. Then Calder spoke about the raspberries, Johnny exlaimed, and she replied herself with a simple, "Thats a fantastic idea! We could dye Johnny's bag pink!" And then she laughed a bit after saying it. It was all pretty fantastic really and she was flying just a tiny bit higher after this small success. She felt important. /Well this whole adulting thing is going well so far./

@Johnny
@Calder

-Pixel by Niki-