[OPEN] Run Baby Run

Rein Posts: 44
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 2 years
prissy
[Image: 56933a9cc0382]
R E I N

The boy was breaking rules.

Well, sort of. His mother had established no rules for the colt yet, but it went unsaid that he simply wasn't suppose to leave her side. He was still a newborn, still wobbly on unused legs and clumsy with infrequently used words. But Mommy wasn't looking, and Rein was ready to see more than what the Basin had to offer.

He slipped away from her, his actions silent and planned (he was the son of a thief, after all). The golden colt was intimidated only slightly by the sentinels, for their backs were turned to him and they didn't seem so bad from behind. When returning home, though, he might be more startled by their disapproving gazes.

But he didn't look back once he left, for he felt no remorse. This land was large, and open, and far different from what he knew in the Basin. There wasn't a lake, not nearly as many trees (which the Basin had few of to begin with), and even the mountains looked foreign. He stood at the border for a few moments, simply staring with his oceanic gaze, awestruck by the wonder-filled land that existed just outside the doors.

It was all new to the boy, and he was ready to explore it immediately. The land was large, and he had just learned how to run. Was there not a better place to test out his legs? (By your mother's side.) He bounded away from the Basin, giggling and frolicking (as innocently) as delightfully as he pleased, for he still did not know of the monsters that lurked in dark places, or of his stillborn sibling.

In his mind, fear and sadness did not exist.

REIN FUN TIMES — HE'S HERE TO CAUSE TROUBLE

son of a thief and a priest

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
The North had always been cold. It's chilly air was no exception now, especially with OrangeMoon upon them - and Frostfall not far away. Coats grew long, thick and fluffy, insulating against the chilling winds and biting temperatures. While the dragonmare did not breathe flames like her father, or her dragon brethren, she was half dragon, and so she ran at warmer temperatures than others, and the cold rarely penetrated through the leathery wings that folded snugly against her hide. The snow beneath was powdery and soft, the tree she stood next too was naked; the land was ready to welcome Frostfall into its midst.

Amaris looked to the Sun in the sky, watching as it danced a slow, steady pace across the clouded, blue-and-white expanse above her. She sighed, before calling upon something to remind her of greener times, of spring and life and wonder - in an instant, a green, dragon-shaped spirit appeared before her, trilling happily to be given an opportunity to live another life, even if only for a handful of moments compared to that which it had experienced before. Its jubilation made Amaris smile - much like companions affected their emotions to their bondeds (and vice versa), Amaris was attuned to the whims of those souls she summoned, and so often found herself grateful for their distracting enthusiasm for living.

They reminded her to be happy, and grateful, about living, too.

The green took to the skies, a rapid pace set by translucent wings and colourful songs. Amaris remained standing where she was, idly admiring its grace and joy, quietly ruminating about nothing in particular as she did so.

Perhaps, in the back of her mind, she was aware of the closeness of the Basin's borders, the nearness of the unicorn herd her family was linked to - for were it not for the DragonHeart's actions, wouldn't they still be within the Edge's borders? (Or maybe something else would have pushed them out, if not the Qian, would something, someone had made them leave? Stopped their racist, treacherous ways?)

(Was the Qian any more innocent than they for putting them in this exile?)

But she was silent in her reverie, silent as a sentinel, standing with a absent-minded smile upon her lips as she momentarily lived life through the eyes of a green spirit adventuring across the frozen tundra.

ooc :: Welcome to have @Rein see and follow the green spirit dragon back to Amaris ^^
Daniel Schiersner @ flickr & larfsalot @ deviantart
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Kid Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Equine :: 15hh :: 3 years HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
dark
KID
I've gone so much farther than anticipated, Mother let us wander a bit further now, but I don't think she ever meant for me to go this far. I had reached the north, the frozen wasteland Mother had called the "Steppe." I had been curious, so there I went to see what this Steppe was all about. As I approached it, my skin grew numb and everything stiffened, my body refused to function properly and I was delighted. Such a foreign feeling brought a light of curiosity to wash over me, ears pricked forward as bubblegum swallows up the horizon. What lies before me is nothing but flat lands, covered in powdery white frost and thick sheets of ice. I turn back, frowning at the realization that I was alone, witnessing the magic of snow for the first time without Sabre at my side. It was odd, we were together often, becoming inseparable quickly in our early ages. 

Mother promoted this deep bond, seemingly pleased by the way Sabre and I shared such a deep connection. She wanted us to cherish it, keeping us uncomfortably close as we ventured the world together. Mother seemed frustrated with me every time I brought up Areli and her wings, saying that such disgusting talk would not be tolerated by her. More than once my curiosity brought with it a foul punishment, the bruising and harsh bites along my withers and back signs of the consequences. After the third time I realized that it was hopeless, knowing why some horses were had wings and some did not would never be known to me. So in my head I decided (as Sabre had brought up) that perhaps it was a disease, something sickeningly gross that could infect others in some way. That was the beginning of a long path to becoming just what Mother wanted, a supremacist who could take heed of her throne when she could no longer maintain it. 

What caught my eye was a twinkling green light, soaring above my head like a beacon, summoning interest as my eyes followed the flight pattern of the emerald object. I bound forward, awkwardly long legs dancing over the ground with a desperate need to get to the green being. I had to know what it was, and such a need pushed me to go faster, kicking up snow in my wake as I rushed towards the light. 

I halt a ways away, panting from my run and widening my eyes and dropping my jaw to what is before me. Golden scales blossom over an amber champagne body, and from the shoulders— wings. But these ones are different, they are not feathered as Areli's had been, these ones looked leathery and thin, almost like those of a dragon. I look at her, curious as to what she was. She had pieces that resembled those of a dragon, scaling that ran across her body and wings that resembled them. I don't know what to think of it, conflicted on what to do. She was a mix of something I thought was epic and something I thought was disgusting. I quietly shuffle closer, looking up at her with a slightly raised brow, but the rest of my face remained relaxed. I was getting better at keeping myself composed, Mother hated it when I was too excitable or gave too much away with my expressions. "What are you?"  

[Image: 2dub87c.jpg]

made by reli

tag me in everything

Outcast
prissy
R E I N

Breathless and sweaty, the colt slowed his frolicking, falling into a walk. His laughter ceased as his indigo gaze swept across the steppe, quickly growing solemn when he found that there was little else to see other than mountains, snow, and a few trees. It wasn't the Basin, but it was far too similar to appease his appetite for adventure.

Despite this, the boy remembered what happened the last time his mother noticed he wasn't at her side. She was terribly upset, seemingly more frightened than angry. He didn't want to hurt her, and so, his slip from the Basin was tactful. But he didn't dare to wander too far, regardless of his longing to see what lay beyond the mountains.

Rein decided to wander around a bit more, keeping the Basin's sentinels in sight at all times. He wasn't ready to go back, but was quickly growing bored of even this fresher scape. That was, until he noticed a gleam of green blaring against the pale powder blue and ivory snow. He whirled around to face the green glow, brow furrowed, golden body breathing heavily. He didn't know anyone that glowed, let alone radiated green.

But the glow wasn't even from a somebody, it was a serpentine creature with wings, it's body ghostly despite it's color. He didn't know what a dragon was, and simply assumed his mother didn't, either. Wow. He would have to tell her about the...whatever the glowing green thing was.

He trotted after it, tempted by it's unfamiliarity. It's glow led him to two other horses, one that looked remarkably like the green apparition, except it's wings and body were golden and she was a bit more equine. The other, a boy like himself, though his body was larger, and lacked any gold. He had eerie markings and eyes, but Rein didn't think too much of it, simply noting them as cool and tragic that he lacked a horn or wings.

Rein listened to the boy's question, trotting up next to him and gazing up at the golden with admiration. "An' what's your green thing?" He chided, head tilted straight up to get a better look at her exotic features.

@Amaris

[Image: 56b8020492908]

The appearance of others hardly surprised her - she had been quietly enjoying feeling, living through the soul that she had summoned, riding on the high that was its vitality, its sheer joy for existing. It found the youths, and it beckoned to them gladly with song and colourful displays of acrobatics, and excitedly led them back to her - to its summoner, its temporary lifeline. Amaris didn't mind, truly, but as always when meeting new creatures, she prepared herself - for friendly or unfriendly reception, both were just as likely as the other, she had learned over the years.

She was not prepared, however, for the appearance of a memory in front of her. The colt's question fell upon near-deaf ears, as Amaris looked at him with masked surprised, and saw the memory of another colt, with such similar markings, temperament, build - who even asked the same question of her, all those moons ago. The memory was one Amaris treasured, truly, though right now it caused her some ache, deep within, her heart clenched, her insides squirmed - she wasn't sure why she felt what she did, or even what it was she was feeling…

But this colt was certainly Volterra's.

Or perhaps it was his sister's - how could Amaris know for sure without asking directly? And to ask directly would be impolite, juvenile, so she held her tongue and recovered quickly, to raise a brow at the first colt's words, before hearing the second's, golden-and-crimson-speckled one's words. Amaris considered them both before deigning to reply, letting the silence stew, letting their questions brew, so that she might compose herself of her little shock and give an answer that would, not-so-much please the gathered, but at least keep the conversation rolling.

"He was once a dragon of this world, though his life-force since expired, my magic allows him to visit once more." She began with the easy question, her magic a favourite topic of hers, for it, much like herself, was quite unique.

"I too am a dragon, and an equine." She said it simply, as if it should be information that was written as clearly as the golden scales that coated her champagne pelt - there was no need for theatrics this day, no need for colourful words or explanations - not when she was still admittedly a bit shellshocked at the idea of Volterra being a father, when surely he had only just been a young colt not long ago, (- but then, she recalled the last time she was with him, the way she had leaned into his strong nape and muscular, masculine body, and felt something which she sharply denied, just as she denied these current feelings any purchase, and she was distracted by the thoughts and the memories, but she had to stay in the now so she pressed on -), such was the ebb and flow of time, however.

"What of you?" she turned their questions back to each of them, seeking to hold their gazes with her own, (noting the pinkish hue of the skull-faced child with further disquiet), turning the tables, (and perhaps, just maybe, genuinely hoping to learn more of them as well).

@Colt
@Rein
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

dark
KID
Someone else came along, I could hear their hoofsteps crunch against the snow behind me, also in pursuit of this green ethereal reptilian. I swiveled my head, not bothering to hide the disgust that crossed my features at the sight of a golden boy with a welling lump on his brow. It was the beginning of a horn, the signs were apparent. I wrinkled my nose and looked down at the younger colt with distaste. How gross. Who let him go? Don't they know some people want to keep their food down? I don't want to get sick either, that development could be another disease like what Areli had. I take a shy step away from them, not wanting to catch whatever that little boy has. 

The pretty golden dragon-horse answers his question first. I steal a glance at him, irritated that someone so sick got priority over me! I turn to look at the mare, eyes flicking over her with curiosity at her magic. "So the dragon was— is dead?" Expired is a relatively new term to me, I needed to make sure my guess was correct. It was a spirit dragon, brought to life through this mare's magic. How interesting it must be to die and constantly be dragged from death to life and back again, an exhausting cycle of endless loyalty to a mare who has granted you a gift you can never fully repay. 

She answers my question and there's extensive glee, to know that she is not of pegasus blood or unicorn blood— she was an equine. My smile explodes, a burst of excitement plastered across my face, my grin spread wide. Bubblegum eyes eagerly eat up her scaled appearance once again, absolutely delighted that I didn't have to be confused anymore. "So cool!" I could go to Sabre and boast alllll about my meeting with a dragon lady, and I could make Mother happy by stating that she was an equine and that means she was okay!

My joyous celebration ends abruptly when she asks "what of you?" I tip my head to the left, looking at her for a second in utter confusion. What of me? I furrow a brow, wondering if that meant she was asking what I was. "Well an equine of course!" Is my answer, cotton candy eyes trained on the mare with a boost of confidence in my words. I puff out my chest a little, raise my head and show how proud I was to be normal. I look at the golden boy, expecting his answer and knowing that whatever the answer, I was better

@Rein

made by reli

tag me in everything

Outcast
prissy
R E I N

He was unperturbed by the other boy's shunning, truly not noticing his nose wrinkle or his body sway away from his own. Rein had not yet known racism, he found himself with a preference for horns, as his herd encouraged, but he didn't think those with wings or without horns were less valued than himself.

So when the dragon lady spoke, he listened intently, valuing her every word. The boy's jaw dropped, his indigo eyes flicking back and forth from the strange equine and the green thing. He? Magic? What in the world?! Rein looked to the other boy, surprised when he saw the colt was perhaps a bit farther away from him than he remembered. He took a step closer to other boy, as if to encourage camaraderie between them, to share the wonder that came with the strange hybrid before them.

"Wow," Rein murmured, his deep blue eyes wide and round as he gazed at the hybrid. So it was possible to be multiple species, meaning having a horn and wings was totally possible. Wild. He didn't need wings, but he found them to be very cool.

The colt's eyes drifted down to the snow, his mind racing with this new information. He pricked his ears forward when the hybrid directed a question towards the boys. He was happy to share his lineage, he was proud of the heritage he was born to. "I'm a unicorn!" He piped, dipping his head to show the dark nub at his head. He smiled goofily at the hybrid before looking to the equine colt. He was perplexed by his pride, not fully understanding why he was so happy to be boring, but didn't question it. Rein was happy when others were happy.

"So, uh, how do you get magic?" Rein asked the hybrid, moving on from the questions of identity. He was far more interested in magic!

@Amaris

Used to probing questions about her magic, Amaris smiled at the reactions of the colts, and nodded her chiselled tiara to the greyish one's added query. "Aye," she confirmed softly, as he green crooned happily above them, "death found him and took his body, but his soul and his fire remains intact for me to call on." At the mention of fire the green above spouts a hot, short breath of flame, a flash of warmth in this frigid environment. Amaris didn't know any other way of defining her magic - when she spoke to the souls she summoned that was as much information as she was ever given, as much of an explanation as anything. Whether that was actually what was occurring was irrelevant - it was what it was; Amaris had never known any different.

At their proclamations of species the dragonmare smiled lightly again, though she did worry slightly at the reaction of the equine child - he seemed repulsed by the idea of being too close to the unicorn. It worried her, because Amaris knew the damage that racism had caused in the past - the Qian's mission in life had been to eradicate it, to prove that it was wrong.. And racism was wrong, but how did one eradicate it without destroying lives in the process? Words, the green mumbled to her mind, even if they refuse to hear them, speak them, he encouraged.

Amaris knew he was right. Even if her words fell on determinedly deaf ears, at least she could say she tried.

"My magic was with me when I was born - I've known others to be blessed by the Gods in exchange for something. I've known others still who have simply discovered it to be within themselves seemingly at random." As she spoke, the green weaved itself around her nape, before drifting playfully towards each of the colts, singing soft notes of excitement and wheeling happily between their legs and around their barrels. "He likes both of you," she commented with a smile, letting her gaze linger upon each one for several quiet moments (doing her best to be nonchalant about her suspicion of the equine boy's heritage).

"Though neither of you were entirely correct before - tell me, what are you?" it was a test, a game, one she hoped would help lift the unneeded animosity the equine boy was beginning to show. She wondered if they would play, if they would let her teach them this important lesson - perhaps if she could help lessen the racism she feared existed already with the young boy now, she could give the world they all lived in a chance of being better for all.

@Colt @Rein
I like being tagged!

dark
KID
She confirms that the green spirit had faced death, but the magic she handled so delicately had woven this dragon back into the equation of reality— she'd given it another chance at life, even if it was only for brief glimpses, she allowed it to exist. It was an intriguing thought to ponder, one that I'm sure I would dwell on later— but now was no time for thinking deeply and losing myself to the ideas of life, death and all the insignificant points in between. 

The reptilian specter spouts red hot flames, a thick column shooting from it's translucent maw and heating the air above them in a brilliant display. I'm left in awe at this ghost dragon's abilities, that it has not lost touch with its own magic despite having lost its body and its actual existence. I was buzzing with more questions, with a need to know more about this magic— how it worked, what else it could do, and if the green was the only spirit she could produce. I began simple, listing them off and scrambling them up, picking at random the first one I'd ask. "Is it only the green one? Or are there more?" It's the first question (or questions really) to spill from me, eyes never abandoning the shimmering form that hovered above us. 

I wrinkled up my nose, furrowed my brow, and raised my lip at the boy's declaration of his species. He was younger than I— perhaps only by a hair— but our ages did not deter me from hating him so. It was a vile disgust, a putrid feeling to be beside something so filthy. He was disgusting and shameful, yet so horrifically proud of his petty existence that I felt my teeth grinding together in an attempt not to shout out destructive insults. The boy thought he had enough privilege to look at me, and I felt my patience with the floundering mongrel lessening. He was so oblivious— so grossly okay with being repulsive. It was like he hadn't lived a day in the real world, hadn't had a loving strike planted across his cheek from his dam, hadn't been forgotten by his sire. I felt hatred boiling up beneath my skin, consuming my existence as my eyes settled on him with absolute fury. 

The fact that the younger spoke so freely, so openly, and the mare didn't even try and shut him up— I felt dirty. Like I'd let some pig wallow in my bed before lying in it, I felt tainted and sick. I wanted to shut him up, to scream at him to not ask questions when he was in no position to be questioning anything. Even if he was curious, inferior idiots do not get answers. They are left to wonder, to roll over and over in their minds thoughts that they can barely even begin to comprehend with their smaller brains. Yet there he was, opening his mouth and blabbering questions like it was his right to. How disgusting

What may have been worse— she answered. The dragon mare answered willingly to the foul babe, spoke directly to it and her voice never wavered in disgust. I felt ashamed to have someone so docile among the equines, someone to willing to stoop down to new lows to answer petty children's questions. The only one she should be talked to is me, I am the one who can bring ruin to her. I will remember her face and her crime— I will serve justice and rightfully bring down the tainted equines within our race. She was the first. 

Her dragon flitted between my legs, around my body, spiraling away with a gentle grace that swayed my anger— leaving me momentarily drifting in some timeless place where my emotions became null, where I simply admired the emerald spirit and his gleaming ghastly scales. But he darted over to the boy, and it all stopped there. How dare a creature that represents my race go to him. For all I knew, he had no relation to an equine, and he was a boring unicorn with some half-assed horn sprouting out of his brow. 

She asks a thought provoking question, she asks what I am. It is the second time, and still I do not understand. My eyes wander to the golden fool, the peasant child who I knew would respond with something idiotic and meaningless. I swallow thickly, wading through the ever expanding pool of my thoughts, sorting through them all to find the answer. What am I? What— am— I? This question poses a serious threat to my mental stability, bringing up the relevance of my existence, the meaning behind it, the reason I walk through this earth now and not years before. "I am a future king of the world!" I proclaimed, straightening myself until I was my full, impressive height of all too short. I was cursed to be an angry baby for the next year of my life, so making such proclamations like this was a bit underwhelming. Nevertheless, I held fast to my pride and stood my ground. 

Of course, no one has ever bothered to explain to lil ol' me that this is not how the world works. Being a king of an entire planet is not the duty of anything mortal, but bringing myself to such low (low) levels is not on my bucket list. I'm going to keep dreaming, keep believing that one day I'll control the earth beneath my feet and every living, breathing thing that roams it. I do not realize I will never get to scream 'fear me, insignificant mortals!' to the earth below me and all its residents, that I will remain unknown to the rest of the world. The only place I will ever be known is here, within the confines of Helovia. 

@Rein

made by reli

tag me in everything

Outcast
prissy
R E I N

His tiny golden jaw was agape, indigo eyes entranced by the green, reptilian apparition. The hybrid's silky tongue and foreign accent reverberate sweetly in his senses, his mind instantly creating fictitious worlds she had conquered and ghostly dragons she had befriended.

The dragon entwined it's hollow, green bodice around his limbs, smiling at the creature, then looking back to it's master. "I like him, too," Rein whispered excitedly, though his mind was still occupied by her mention of magic. Could he have it? Buried within his bones, coursing inconspicuously through his blood? The thought was exhilarating, one he kept to himself. He was almost sure he didn't have any magic, just almost.

But even if he wasn't born with magic, he was determined to have it.

He stayed quiet, still thinking about magic (how would he know if he had it, anyway? Does it just - appear? Whenever?) until the hybrid questioned him once again. It caught him off guard, his ears falling, head tilting. What was he if not a unicorn and the son of a thief and a priest? Was there more to what he was?

The boy to his side responded to the question with unrivaled confidence. His jaw fell open once again, nodding at his response. Future King of the World. Rein's mind found no fault in that logic. "That's so cool," He noted, still floundering with his own response.

He turned to the hybrid with a pitifully frustrated expression, his blue eyes drifting to his onyx stained legs. "I'm jus Rein," He murmured. He was not a future king, nor did he exemplify an impossible species. He was simply a blood stained son, still trying to find his niche in life. "But if I find sumthin' else that I am, I'll tell you," Rein promised, looking up to the hybrid with a hopeful smile. For now, he was exactly who he looked to be, and said he was.

@Amaris so sorry for the wait ;-;

dark
KID
It's nice to finally have some recognition, even if it was from a peasant— a mongrel boy with priceless golden hide (so unfitting for such a worthless child). His coat glimmered and shined with a brightness he did not deserve, with glorified treasures he would never see. It was I who deserved such dazzling gifts, such tantalizing pleasantries as a reward for my respectable rule and might— achieving kinghood was no easy feat, mind you (it's truly tiring, and I still have a ways to go before I'm even close to achieving the throne). And this abominable boy rubs in my face his unearned glory, his blessed coat that he does not deserve— that he has not suffered for. In all of its perfection, unmarred by his dam's brutality and traditionalism.

He is not the continuation of a family tradition, the victim of a ritual between parent and child where the blood of the new generation paints the world vibrant red. How lucky he is, to be so ignorant and free of the burden of self-doubt (now if only he could realize it). My blood runs cold to think such privilege has been given to a unicorn like him, that he is not suffering as I am— that he runs free of worry or fear, that the hand that feeds him does not mar his face and bruise his sides.

He calls my future position cool, at least acknowledging that I had the potential to be a king of kings— that I had at least earned a sliver of respect from the idiot babe. He looked ridiculous with a gaping maw and awed expression, like he didn't expect me to be anything more than a commoner among the mortal fools roaming this earth. Fool, to think that I would ever be anything less than a king, such a stupid thing to think. I oozed the air of a king, the poise and grace of royalty— how could he not have noticed?

And he preaches quietly that he is just Rein, a nobody from nowhere just as he should be. But he is hopeful in the way he concludes his dull speech, telling us that if he finds out something else, he'll tell the hybrid woman. My brow narrows, whispering to myself, "how boring." What a pathetic display, with a coat like his and an audience like this I would've expected a little more wow factor in proclaiming that he was something mighty, perhaps even rivaling my title as future king— but no, he is just Rein. "You'll never get anywhere with that attitude. Be more assertive," I tell him, lax expression pausing for a fleeting moment over the golden scaled woman before taking it back to the golden boy (I didn't get the memo, obviously). I was simply trying to help (I do need some competition, it's pitiful to run against yourself), to see if this Rein could blossom into someone with more potential— if he could gain enough confidence to make direct eye contact rather than staring down at his hooves and proclaim things with more enthusiasm and really mean it (I mean c'mon, that little performance there was pitiful).

@Rein hope it's ok that i posted seeing as whit is on absent rn

made by reli

tag me in everything