the Rift

[OPEN] Silver Sight, Feather Light (Joining?)

Iscah Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

The pair that cut through the early morning frost seemed oddly matched. The stallion was horned, hulking and painted in indigo while the mare was slim and refined, beautifully feathered and pale as the morning. A strange pair, indeed, on first glance but once beyond the physical traits that set them at apart they had more in common than one might suspect, for the omnipotent hands of gods or fate had brought them together. They were a priest and a priestess, and both had lived in service to the gods of the Rift until, moments after their meeting, they had been pulled through to this strange place whose Gods and people were stranger still. Their worlds had been turned upside down and now they had only each other.

In the months since they had entered Helovia, the two had been nearly inseparable. He was her guide and protector; and though he might not have know how to express it, he needed her just as desperately, as his tether and his purpose. The priest had lived his life in service, and though he had been dutiful to the gods, he had never felt the gratitude that he did now, and all of it was for her. He was a castaway; lost and unsure as children torn too soon from their mother’s side. Never in all his years had anything mattered but his gods, and he had been cut off from them, and so had she. As lost as he was, he was not alone.

For a time they had been vagabonds, cast into this new place neither warning nor direction. Content in the company that the other provided, and wary of the inhabitants that had taken part in the slaying of their gods, the pair had avoided contact with others as much as possible. He had explored some of the lands, learning what he could but always preoccupied with keeping his priestess out of harms way. They might have continued that way forever, wandering listlessly from place to place, but what good would that do, he wondered. If they had been brought to this place for a reason, and the priest was hungry for more knowledge of the denizens and their deities and isolation would get them nowhere.  

He walked close to her, rumbling quiet directions and warnings of the terrain in his gruff voice. Every now and then, he would reach over with his muzzle and press, quite gently, into the side of her neck with a mind of keeping her close and assuring her of his presence. Soon, he thought, they should find what they sought; he could almost hear the words echoing in his mind, “…if you find yourself lost…know that you will be welcome at the World's Edge..”

"."
ooc:: Iscah(yet unnamed lol) is here with @Naja to join! Please let Ali post first?

Please give me time to decipher the signs
Please forgive me for time that I've wasted

Naja Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Never before has the priestess been a victim to such instability. She is a creature that had strived on stability and the monotony of the life she'd lived locked away with Osip and Naum. As much as she loathed the king and the prince her life with them had been predictable. She had known what to expect, had learned how to cope with their demands of her, and had learned how to cope with the way those demands made her feel about herself. But in Helovia, where she knows no one besides the priest at her side, she is in a constant state of unease. She doesn't trust those that they come across because the gods here, the horses here were the ones that had murdered the gods she and her priest had served for so many years.

The only consistency in her life since being deposited into this land has been the priest, her priest and her savior. The man that their gods had directed to save her before they'd been murdered. He's been a constant pillar of support, a protector that she truly appreciated. He's demanded nothing of her, asked nothing of her and because of that she would do anything for him. That is why when he suggested they go to the World's Edge she agreed with a bob of her head, even if in her heart she wanted nothing to do with the herds and its inhabitants.

Together the pair walk and it is his voice that guides her through the land that she has yet to actually see. The cursed blindfold that Naum placed upon her when he locked her away is still bound tightly across her face and she still refuses to remove it when her companion brings it up. It is fear that keeps her from touching it. Naum is worlds away and he still has a tight grip on his priestess that she just cannot seem to shake. As much time as the priest has spent with her she still doesn't think he understands why.

His nose presses into her neck and Naja, in return, curls her neck around to return his touch. "Thank you." She murmurs to her priest. "Thank you for saving me. Thank you for staying with me. Thank you for protecting me..." "Tell me what it looks like." She requests and there is a longing in her voice as she makes her request.

"."

To the ends of the earth would you follow me?
There's a world that was meant for our eyes to see

@Iscah

Iona Posts: 100
World's Edge Specter atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 11 (birdsong) HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Iver :: Osprey :: None Kiki
I'M GONNA SHOW HIM WHAT LITTLE GIRLS ARE MADE OF
GUNPOWDER AND LEAD

Fitting in.  Behaving.  Isn’t that what she’s been doing?  Minding her business.  Doing her duty.  She’d been trying to accomplish all the tasks expected of her, but deep down she was worried. She worried about Alysanne.  Something seemed…off. She knew she needed to find the time to talk to Aly, but she others on her list of individuals to track down.  She was just torn about which conversation to have first.  Iona circled the Edge from above, her thoughts plaguing her with every wingbeat.  She needed to do something different or her own thoughts were going to drive her insane.  As she flew a circuit past the crumbling glass wall, she caught sight of two that she knew weren’t residents and nor were they accompanied by one.  Newcomers? Visitors? She wasn’t sure and she decided that investigating sounded like a much better idea that the relentless torture from her own mind. 

Iona was accustomed to those who looked, well, different (to put it nicely).  The equines that inhabited nocturne made just about everything in Helovia look perfectly natural.  However, these two seemed to be an exception to the rule.  Well, the mare looked normal enough, save for her unusual choice in facial accessories. The stallion, however, he stood out in these lands.  She flew a tight circle before angling steeply towards the ground, carefully avoiding the glass, and found herself earthbound once again.  She made her way over to the strangers and called out a greeting to the two. 

Iona had to physically bite her tongue to keep from making a joke about the fact that the stallion was literally blue.  She knew first impressions were important and insulting the much larger stallion wasn’t a particularly bright idea, especially when he was large enough to pummel her if she slipped up an asked him if everything was alright because he ‘seemed blue.’  Choosing her words carefully was never a gift of hers, but it was something she knew was important to practice.  With all terrible puns carefully locked inside her head, the painted pegasus approached the strange pair.

”I’m Iona.  Welcome to the World’s Edge.”  Success.  A fair enough greeting and her tone was casual.  Formalities were not in Iona’s repertoire.  The two were apparently close, and Iona didn’t press too near to the pair to make them uncomfortable. “What brings you to our borders?”

I O N A
lineart || Tags: @Iscah @Naja 

Please tag IONA in all posts.
Force and magic permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
image credit 

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
the elephant king
Strange.

That was a very polite word for the reaction the Elephant had to the newcomers at the Edge’s borders. A large, vividly blue stallion alongside a pegasus whose face and eyes were bound with cloth. The brilliantly glowing markings of the man, along with his brightly dyed coat, reminded him strongly of the wild creatures that came across from the Rift. But the pegasus beside him… it could have been from Helovia.

He watched from afar for a few moments, seeing his ever watchful Specter land some distance away from the duo. Iona respected their distance and the gentle, intimate touches shared between the two. He hesitated— a first for the King. He wished to greet any that stood at their borders, but he knew Iona was perfectly capable (more than) of receiving these two… But his curiosity was piqued.

Slowly he approached, allowing Iona and the strangers to converse. Sweeping strides brought him closer, closer— and the man grew and grew. Surprise began to knit his brow, eyes widening marginally. He had been a giant in his homeland and here in Helovia. Never before had he met someone larger than himself. If only marginally, it was still an impressive feat for an impression stallion.

He dips his great head in greeting to his piebald friend as he comes to stand beside her, then turns his navy eyes to the strangely matched pair. “My good man, I thought I was tall, but you are greater then even my height,” the low rumble is pushed out of his lips before he can help himself— for he had wished to simply stand aside Iona and await the answers of the newcomers. But he cannot help the comment. So he inwardly sighs, turning to the winged one, “And are your eyes or face in need of healing?” Some concern colored the bass of his voice as he studied the cloth wrap on her face. “I am Tembovu, and our Doctors would be happy to help you.” He then clamps his lips closed, awaiting answers.
tembovu
image | table

Please tag Tembovu.

Unregistered

It was a new an unexpected pleasure to walk like this, to give and take of conversation and the partaking of a quiet companionship. Companionship. It was a word the priest turned over in his mind, dis assembling and examining the meaning and the finding the sober definition quite lacking compared to the experience of it. He had always been surrounded by others but they had been servants, as he had been, to the whims of the gods. He had toiled with them, lead them, but years of living with his consciousness consumed by the ever-present buzz of far away voices had stopped him from knowing those at his side. He hadn’t cared, hadn’t thought caring necessary in carrying out his tasks but with no task now but to care for his pale priestess the mountain was beginning to understand what had been lost to him for so very long.

Her request made him grimace, and shining singer eyes flicked toward the stip of cloth over her eyes. ’Cursed’ she had said when her had tried to persuade her to let him remove it. It was only logical: if his magic had been rendered ineffectual by their crossing into this land than surely so had the strip of cloth lost its efficacy, still the priestess would not hear of its removal and so he had let the subject alone. “The trees are tall, an old forrest and a strong one…” He acquiesced, though he would much rather have listened to her voice than his own. “…they rise high to leaves that are trading their summer colors for oranges and yellows. The light is beginning to trickle through the canopy and sending shafts into the fog—“ His voice broke off as the sound of footsteps had his head moving around to see another land and approach. He leaned closer to the mare at his side and sent a hasty whisper: “A stranger approaches. Fear not.”

The priest gaze was steady on the patched mare as she spoke; her relaxed tone not quite enough to set him fully at ease. Yes, he had suggested they come here and learn more of the inhabitant of this land but that did not mean he trusted them. Iona’s welcome to the World Edge announced at least that they had found their destination but fifer he could reply she was joined by a stallion of a size with himself who commented on just that. Like the first, the stallions greeting is non-confrontational but the blue man’s stoic expression remained unchanged. He gave no nod, no smile, and no flowery greeting being so unaccustomed to the need for social niceties but spoke plain and to the purpose. “My height is no accomplishment of mine, only what was passed to me through blood.”

Tembovu’s offer of medical assistance to his companion went unanswered by the indigo brute, she might need him for eyes but she was capable of speaking for herself. All the same, he sidestepped, moving his bulk closer to the priestess as a matter of protection and reassurance. “We are among those who were brought to this land at the salt flats. There was a stallion there, white and spotted, who announced the World’s Edge would welcome those in search of a place to stay." Without knowing who the white stallion had been or really even who Iona and Temovu where in the context of this society, the priest had not assurance that this pledge would be honored. The Helovians had killed their gods after all, why should they accept them so willingly? "We’ve been exploring pieces of your Helovia, but our efforts have been aimless without much knowledge of the land. We seek rest, and I would like to learn more of the people here.”

Naja Posts: N/A
Unregistered

As Iscah explains to her what the forest they stand in looks like she can feel the weight of the cloth over her eyes. He's tried to convince her to remove it, he resorted to logic, told her that if his magic had been stripped of him that the curse on the cloth should have been broken. Should have was not concrete enough evidence for the priestess to agree to removing the cloth. Its been drilled into her head since she'd been stolen away from her family that magic and curses are two very different animals. Perhaps it is her selfish desire to keep her eyesight intact that keep her from removing the cloth, or maybe it is her sense of duty because what good is a priestess without her eyesight? How can she set souls at peace if she cannot see them?

Part of her expects Iscah to bring up the subject of the blindfold again when he stops so abruptly and she is ready to tell him to drop that particular subject, but he surprises her by telling her that someone is coming. Her head lifts as he informs her that a stranger is coming and seconds later a feminine voice rings out, introducing herself as Iona. Before she can speak to introduce herself and her companion another approaches, a stallion by the sound of his voice. He comments on Iscah's height then asks if she needs healing before introducing himself as Tembovu.

"My name is Naja." She says. "And he is Iscah." As she says the name she touches her muzzle to Iscah's shoulder and she smiles to herself because she imagines that he is confused at having been named. In her mind, for some time, she's been referring to him as that name but never had cause to speak it aloud for they have never come across anyone to introduce themselves. She feels Iscah against her side and she presses into him as she begins to broach on the subject of the cloth. "I do not need medical assistance." She says. "I fear that there is nothing you can do to assist me unless you know of someone who can remove curses." And that is all she truly intends to say on the matter, so when Iscah begins to speak again

He tells the strangers where the two of them have come from and for a moment panic seizes Naja's chest as she remembers that these are the ones who slaughtered their gods. These horses that live in this new land were harbingers of death and she wonders how many souls she would see if she were able to remove her blindfold. "Iscah?" She whispers his name, her voice uncertain, and rests her head against his neck as she tells herself that he would not allow harm to come to her.

He is her priest.

He is her savior.

He is her protector.

"."

To the ends of the earth would you follow me?
There's a world that was meant for our eyes to see

@Iscah

Iona Posts: 100
World's Edge Specter atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 11 (birdsong) HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Iver :: Osprey :: None Kiki
I'M GONNA SHOW HIM WHAT LITTLE GIRLS ARE MADE OF
GUNPOWDER AND LEAD

She hadn’t been the only one to notice the strange pair.  The ever-observant king had also noticed the gargantuan blue brute and his winged companion as well, and it seemed that he was less successful in censoring his thoughts.  His words cause a tight smile to flicker across the painted mare’s lips for a moment before her face again returns to a comfortable state of decorum. 

It is then that the large indigo stallion speaks.  She can appreciate his simple way with words, and the smile again threatens to make its way across her lips.  Meanwhile, her mind quickly assembles the pieces of the explanation he offers. The battles.  The Rift. Mauja.

It explained as much about their appearance, but it didn’t really put Iona off in terms of allowing them to stay in the Edge.  She had already invited one of those who had come through a portal to the Edge.  She had only been at one of the battles, but she had heard about the others – heard how many from the Rift had fought on the side of the Helovians.  Plus it was not like they had the option to return home now.  From what she had seen on the volcanic island, it was a one-way trip from their homeland to this place.  What right did she have to cast them out?  It would have been the same as the Edge casting her away when she had walked through the Threshold, and from what she understood from this place that wasn’t at all what the Edge stood for.  She knew her sister wouldn’t be loyal to such a place for so long if that’s the foundations they were built upon.  It was times like this when Iona relied on Alysanne’s moral compass to help steer her in the right direction.  It had yet to lead her astray. 

“Ah. Mauja.  He still calls the Edge home and any offer of sanctuary he made will honored,” she looked to Tembovu for confirmation, but trusted he would agree.   “There are others from your lands – the Rift – that have recently come to the Edge as well.” She thinks immediately of Dacianna – the mare that she and her sister had invited here not too long ago. 

She then turns her attention to the man’s winged companion, having not forgotten about the woman.  “Unfortunately, I think curses are beyond my sister’s ability to heal. The Gods, however, may be able to provide assistance.”  Iona, herself, was not particularly religious.  She had seen what religious disagreements could do…it had torn apart her homeland of Nocturne so she had a mind to keep herself well clear of such things.  However she had seen what the Gods here were capable of, perhaps they would be able to help Naja. 

I O N A
lineart || Tags: @Iscah @Naja

Please tag IONA in all posts.
Force and magic permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
image credit 

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
the elephant king
His brows raise slightly at blue stallion’s simple and straightforward disregard of his compliment— a man of purpose, then, to forgo niceties. A smile hovered at the edges of his lips, amused at both himself and the man standing before him. Though his attention turns to the winged one, a woman her voice informs, as she introduces them. Naja and Iscah, what an unexpected pair to find upon their borders. She tells that she does not need medical assistance, and that she is cursed— his brows raise even further. This duo was full of surprises for the Elephant King.

Cobalt eyes turn back to Iscah as he begins to talk again, speaking of Mauja and the Halcyon Flats, and of wanting a place to rest and learn. He nods, though a gentle frown creases his brown at the sudden, fearful whisper of Naja and her head leaning into neck.

But, before he can inquire or placate, Iona is speaking and offering residence in the Edge. He nods in confirmation as she looks to him, waiting for her to finish speaking of the gods healing curses before opening thick lips, “Naja, we mean you no harm. You are safe within the Edge. And, as King, I second Mauja’s offer of sanctuary here. There are many who have resided in Helovia longer than I, and they would be better to teach you of Helovia.” He paused, looking between the odd pair. “If you have a vocation you wish to follow, I may point you in the direction of that rank leader. Iona is our Specter, head sleuths. Though, I understand if it is rest and refuge you seek,” a small smile crosses his face. “Welcome to the Edge,” he begins to turn, to lead them all further into the herdlands.
tembovu
image | table

@Iscah I'll go change their ranks now :D

Please tag Tembovu.

Unregistered
[quote='Iscah' pid='168189' dateline='1453598524']

Trust. The concept should have been a sure and stable one, but these days it seemed to shift, elusive to the Priest as wind was to grasping hands. For years (and long ago he had stopped counting them) his trust had rested in his Gods. Wholly. Completely. The stallion had been theirs to command without question of hesitation. For him there had been no right or wrong, only what They wanted and tasks he preformed in order to follow those directions. Now he was cut off, cast out, and (most surprisingly) being clung to by another disconnected servant who had placed her trust in him.

Could they trust these people? Could they trust their Gods?

The gruff face of the indigo stud turns to Naja with a furrowed brow as she gives a name he has never heard before. Hers he had heard before, but she seems to have chosen one for him as well. In his years with the Order, he’d forgotten the one that he had been given at birth—servants need no names—but this lack had not occurred to him since. ”Iscah.” hew rolls in through his mind again, puzzling over the unfamiliar syllables and wondering what meaning they could have had to his Priestess. But the others began speaking, and he set the matter aside, accepting the mantle with a shrug of his shoulders before silver eyes turn back to Iona and Tembovu.

They each take turn referencing this Mauja and confirming and conferring a welcome to the World’s Edge. Manners. he could have almost chuckled at that though because it already sounded so much like Naja. He obeys the mental prompt, as well as his unpracticed self can: with a brief nod to each. “I thank you.” Referring to himself still seemed strange, words like “I” and “me” had not graced his tongue until he had lost his connection with the gods, but the beast was learning.

He hears Naja’s panicked whisper, feels her at his neck and turns to lay his head above hers for the briefest moment. “Trust in me. I am here to guard you.” he whippers it into her ear, low and steady, firm in that conviction for it is now the only one he has. “Come, we are moving.” he says to her, as Tembovu turns to lead the into the Edge. Careful too keep Naja by his left side, Iscah moved to fall into step with the King on his right.

“I would want to be useful, once Naja is settled. I worked with metals before I came here, do you have builders?” It was true enough, though his magic had been stripped from him when he entered these lands, years of working with the fruits of the earth had given him a deep understanding of them. There was a drive in him, to be useful, to be productive and now that it seemed he and Naja had found a place to base themselves he would be in need of other tasks to fill his days (as long as he knew she was close an safe). “I would also like to learn more of your Gods, if i can, of why they brought us from our home.”