the Rift

[PRIVATE] and now you're mine

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
It had been a while since getting over the excitement from Rein’s birth. I had managed to spend the time that I was completely exhausted by both the chill in the air and quite a few sleepless nights (both before the pregnancy and after) that today, all I wanted to do was stay in the warm cave with my son. Watching over him like a hawk, admiring and adoring every little thing that he did. Blue eyes scanned over the dark golden pelt as I watched him grow stronger each day, yearning to learn and wanting to know about the wild world around him. So today’s agenda was to answer anything that the little colt’s heart desired. I spent most of the morning situating my things in the cave for comfort and warmth before settling beside Rein, a smile playing on my lips as I nudged him gently to get his bored attention.

Today, I want you to ask me anything you want.” I told him with a gentle nod of my head, nipping at his short silvery black mane, fixing the little tufts that sprung out from how he had slept. I watched him such pride and accomplishment, that I wanted him to know the world. Know what was in Helovia and what was past, who could be trusted and those that couldn’t, anything he wanted to know at all. So I waited for the questions to roll off my child’s tongue. Knowing that he probably had many, I settled myself in for a long day of storytelling. I knew that Rein’s interest in the outside world and my willingness to tell the stories of the land would be enough to make Ashamin proud, even though he was quite the busy man. Perhaps Rein would talk about my stories one day.

"Talk?"
rexanna & rein
no one is ever gonna love you more than I do.

Just a quick speed thread for Rein to learn some stuff! <3 @Rein
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Rein Posts: 44
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 2 years
prissy
[Image: 56933a9cc0382]
R E I N

He was beginning to form coherent thoughts.

He was understanding his surroundings, where and who he was. He understood the world was large, and he had only seen this cave, and some of the surrounding herdland. But the yearning to learn more, to see more, to venture and conquer was ever prevalent in his mind. Unfortunately, the little colt was bound to the limits of his body, and of his mother.

They stayed in the cave, much to Rein's dismay. He had seen the cave already, and therefore, found it uninteresting, with the exception of the occasional bat or shrew. They were cool, and so were the insects. But he didn't see any today, and had to make do with memories of the creatures he had seen prior to that day.

He was half-tempted to take a nap when his mother nudged him. He smiled at her, blinking his eyes lazily as she played with his mane, perking up when he was proposed what he considered a challenge: ask me anything you want. His little brow furrowed in thought, blue gaze squinting ahead.

Of course his mind was racing, fumbling to find the most important questions and ask those first. He considered 'where did I come from?' and 'where did you come from?' But he found neither to be the most important of all his questions. He chose instead his surroundings, or rather, what surrounded his surroundings.

Alternatively phrased as: 'Where did the shrew and the bat come from?'

He could see outside of the cave, and when they left it's embrace, he could certainly see that there was somewhere beyond the sentinels. After all, his first memories, despite now being vague and hazy, were of past the sentinels, of horses and warmth regardless of the chilling snow.

Pleased with his choice of question, he turned to his mother with a confident grin, fidgeting in place out of excitement. "What's past da Basin, Mommy? Who out dere?" He questioned, his rudimentary vocabulary only slightly irking him. His tongue was still a complicated tool that the boy had not yet mastered.

@Rexanna :D

son of a thief and a priest

Blue eyes lovingly watched the colt as he began to think of what he wanted to know. I knew that it was a broad question, but there was no use in making the child think of things he didn’t understand. I didn’t want to ask him what he thought of the ocean if he’d never seen one before. So that was my idea when it came to keeping the question open for anything his little heart could think of. I nibbled at his stubby mane a bit as he seemed confused and both curious of the outside world, but it wasn’t before long that he turned to me with that ever so confident grin that melted me every time.

What’s past da Basin, Mommy? Who out dere?” He was learning how to put phrases together, but his question to me was also quite broad. I didn’t know of many creatures out there, but I did know of a few lands. Perhaps that would be enough to suffice the question until he dug a bit deeper. I lifted my head then, looking out the opening of the cave for a few moments before turning my gaze back down to Rein. “There’s a lot of places out there. We live in Helovia. Within Helovia are many different lands and places. You and I live in the Aurora Basin, but there’s a few other places like ours were many of us go and live with one another.” I smiled, looking back out to the cave opening, flicking my tail and wrapping the tassles gently around Rein’s legs for extra warmth.

There’s the Hidden Falls. I hear it’s a beautiful place full of waterfalls. You’ll see one of those someday. There’s also Dragon’s Throat. A place of very hot temperatures and dry. The opposite of home, here. Then lastly, there’s the World’s Edge. I hear it’s absolutely beautiful there. That herd is led by a very kind King. If you saw him, you couldn’t miss him.” I laughed, eyes dropping back down to the golden child. “He’s giant. Bigger than you’ve ever seen before. He’s got a few little stripes on his back and a smile that’s contagious. He’s always been very kind to me.” My smile faltering slightly. “His name is Tembovu. A strong name for such a huge man.” I nodded, adding to my words with a bit more enthusiasm. “Who leads the other herds, I’m not sure. But I do have a friend that lives in Dragon’s Throat. He has wings. He can fly like those bats you love to watch.” I smiled a bit wider, gaze looking down to the child with curiosity on how he was taking all of this new information. So I stopped, waiting and wanting to see if my golden boy had any other questions.

"Talk?"
rexanna & rein

@Rein

Outcast
prissy
R E I N

He watched her, captivated by what wonders she had chosen to share with him. Rein pressed himself even closer to her, although they were hardly apart to begin with. But he longed to be closer, to make sure he could hear each word, to make sure he didn't miss a single syllable. He felt warm, with her tail around him and her golden bodice pressed close. He felt warm and he felt happy and he was beginning to feel sleepy...

But he fought his drowsiness, stifling a yawn and listening attentively to his mother's words. He learned, then, of horses who lived in lands far from his own (far for his little legs, at least). He learned of bold, kind Kings and of horses who had wings. He couldn't help but feel a bit jealous of a horse with wings. How was that fair to him? He liked his horn, but the prospect of wings still sounded way cooler to him.

"Mommy, wh -" yawn, "why he have wings? Are dere more who have wings?" Rein asked, his words sounding a bit hurt. He might've said one thing, but he meant, why don't I have wings, Mommy? He wanted to fly like one of his bats! He would fly away with them, when they left the cave at night to do whatever it is they do. He figured his wings would be golden, and huge, and leathery, like a bat. Maybe they would have a splash of red, too, like the spots on his neck and elbows. 'That would be cool,' he decided as he laid his head down on his mother's shoulder.

He decided then that if he could fly and take off with his bats, he would come back for her.

itty-bitty rein posty ^^; @Rexanna

She smiled as she kept her eyes on her son, watching curiously as he took in all this new information. She couldn’t help but to notice his exhaustion, but she often found that when she was just a filly herself, the best imagination came from being tired and wanting to sleep. She nudged him then with her broad cream nose, urging him to rest his head on her own as he chose to sleep, the little excitement within her of his increasing speech was wonderful to watch. He then asked his mother if there were more with wings.

Yes, my love. Others have wings. Many others have wings. We live in a place that likes us better.” She said gently, motioning to both their horns as reasoning why the Basin chose to exclude Pegusi from joining them. It seemed solid enough for her. She rested her head beside him again, blue eyes growing heavy with all the little yawns her golden boy had done. “There’s also other horses that don’t have horns or wings. How strange is that?” She questioned him, her gaze watching the opening of the cave for anything that might catch her attention long enough to keep from sleeping before Rein did.

She wanted to stay up and talk with him about the world, including where she came from and how she got here, but she knew that the child wouldn't understand. It would have to be a tale for another day, seeing as how there weren't anything of actual proof to show how what she said was real. She'd just have to leave it open for him to imagine when she did decide to tell him. She hoped it would be exciting enough for him to hear.

"Talk?"
rexanna & rein

@Rein

Outcast
prissy
R E I N

He smiled lazily at his mother's nudge, resting his tiny head upon her own. His deep, indigo colored eyes were only half open as he listened to the golden, blinking slowly at her through his sleepy, dulled senses. His eyes widened when she spoke of more pegasi, his twinge of jealousy reigniting. Many others had wings? Many?! He didn't know how much a many was, but he concluded that it was a lot.

The colt's jealousy was soon quelled, though, when his mother said us. His smile widened, his mind coming up with dozens of excuses as to why one would prefer horns over wings. He decided horns were prettier and he was stronger and the inherent belonging in the Basin made their preference unquestionable to him. He didn't need to know why they would rather have horns here than wings because he would rather have it that way, too. (But the idea of wings still sounded kind of awesome...could he have both? Was the possible? Nah, of course not.)

His mother had more to say on this topic of race, more to teach the little colt. His tiny jaw dropped at the notion of lacking both wings and a horn, making the boy sit up abruptly. "No way," He murmured in astonishment, followed by a yawn. His tired mind was fumbling, fading, in disbelief at this new information. "If dey don't have wings or a horn den how are—" yawn, "how are dey special?" He questioned, his meek voice dripping with the drowsiness that captivated his little head.

@ Rexanna

[Image: 56b8020492908]

The Thief took notice of his tiny jaw dropping as she spoke. Her head lifting abruptly as the child sat up, a brash “No Way” escaping his tiny lips. A small laugh was hushed briefly from her own lips, her eyes finding his own as he continued on his thought. His speech was something that Rexanna knew she needed to cherish while it was still so young and innocent, the memories of which she needed to retain – for knowing that he would end up growing up way too fast for her liking.

Her heavy head motioned to him softly, a smile playing on her lips. “They get to be special in here” She murmured, pressing her large nose to his crimson spotted chest, pulling her head away from him with a gentle nod, golden chains clinking against one another. “Everyone has their differences, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t be special in their own way. Some are great leaders. Some are gentle and kind. Some are giants and some are tiny, but they all have a purpose somewhere in life.” She smiled brightly to him. “You’ll have one, one day.” She admitted, nodding once again.

She wondered what Rein would end up pursuing as he grew older. Would his curiosity land him in a position such as herself? Would his father influence him in the ways of the Gods? Or would he take a route completely different? One of creation, healing, or protection? She decided not to dwell on it for too long, knowing far well that he was going to be a young stallion before her eyes, making his own decisions without her guidance. The thought sent a shiver of sadness to glide across her skin.

"Talk?"
rexanna & rein

@Rein

Outcast
prissy
R E I N

Her muzzle on his crimson splattered chest, and his eyes gazing up to hers in awe. Why hadn't he realized it sooner?! It was purpose, it always had been, not wings or horns, but Purpose.

The word rang throughout his small body, sending tingling sensations to his hooves with each breath he took. His bugs had purpose, to feed his bats, and his bats to feed foxes or something. Everyone had purpose! Purpose made people special. It made sense to him. No one could control how they were born. Even though horns and wings are pretty cool, he would totally avoid someone who was mean to him despite the presence of either on their bodies. Therefore, it didn't matter if you looked cool on the outside as long as you were cool on the inside. Genius.

He didn't quite know what to do with this realization, though. His horn seemed to weigh less then, and the wings of the horses in his mother's stories suddenly appeared as paper in his imagination. What would his purpose be? He was no giant, and he was far from being a great leader, he knew that. He could be nice, though! He could be nice and he could protect his bugs and his bats and his mom, too. He would treasure what he had and maybe, just maybe, make that his purpose.

"I'mna have—" yawn, "da coolest purpest." The boy affirmed, slowing blinking his fading pools of indigo. "I'mna—I'mna make everyone happy," he muttered, returning his small head to the warmth of his mother's cream and golden fur.

@Rexanna
[Image: 56b8020492908]

Rexanna watched as he pondered her words in silence. It seemed like a lot for a little colt to take in, but if there’s one thing she knew – she knew that Rein loved his bats and his bugs and that he’d learn exactly why things inevitably existed and why. He was thoughtful already, always doing his best to not mess up in her eyes. It was something she couldn’t be more proud of, but it also worried her in some aspects. She knew that he needed to live a little bit, make his mistakes and become better because of them. That was the only way it seemed to truly learn in such a big world as this.

It was a huge world out there, so many places to explore, people to meet, sights to see. She wanted him to see it all one day. See everything on a deeper level than face value. Yes, the birds and bats were cool because they could fly - but she wanted him to learn why they flew and why they came out at different times in the day. She wanted him to learn why people came and left in life without blaming it on himself. She could at least help him that way.

Yet his voice broke the air again and her cream ears perked to him, listening as he spoke through broken yawns. She grinned as he said he wanted to make everything happy before placing his head in the pillow that was the Thief. “I know you will, Rein.” She smiled, pride growing within her – branching out into every little piece of her that she could feel. And yet the heavy blanket of sleep seemed to overcome her pride more. She could be prideful in the morning, after the both of them had rested. So she set her head upon the floor of the cave, tail wrapped closely around her son with her head following suit on his opposite end, preparing for sleep.

"Talk?"
rexanna & rein

@Rein , just wrapping this up! :)