the Rift

[OPEN] Fade into the dark [Joining]

Morir Posts: 79
Up For Adoption atk: 4.5 | def: 6.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 4 HP: 54 | Buff: NOVICE
Arwydd :: Raven :: None Adoptable
I look inside myself and see my heart is black

It had started the day the egg hatched. He knew now that it had been day. On the whole, it might have been less painful if it hadn't been.

How do you describe light to someone who had never seen it before? How do you explain trees, clouds and the color green? To some, it might sound romantic and wonderful - a blessing brought by a sole act of kindness, salvation for one damned soul...

It was nothing like salvation. It was merely painful, and confusing. One moment you hear the crack of splitting egg-shell, the next your mind is flooded by impressions; sounds, scents, and worst of all.

Sight.

It had been pain beyond anything he ever experienced before. Worse than having his eyes gouged out of their sockets. That had been a passing torment - this one persisted. The brightness, the flashing light, the boundless shapes, forms, colors. It came and went, moved independently from himself, made him disoriented and confused.

For several long days he had considered just squishing the feeble, helpless existence that caused him such agony. Many times he had been close to doing it purely by accident. Such a blind, minuscule thing, featherless and weak... what good could ever come by keeping it alive?

Well. Call it weakness or softness or the inner kindness of his heart. The same flaw that caused him to salvage an abandoned egg kept him from extinguishing the life of the raven that hatched from it, and from that day onward Morir hadn't had a quiet moment. It had amused him to watch the critter grow, find its wings and become independent. He had even named it, in a moment of sudden inspiration. But the enjoyment it gave him just barely weighed up for the greedy, demanding nature of the soul that so haphazardly had tangled with his. Instead of growing up and leaving like birds usually did, this one stuck around and seemed to find a savage pleasure in getting in the way. It was underfoot, pecking and prodding, cawing and it demanded to sit on him.

It even tried to help him.

But to someone who lived in darkness his whole life, who never needed the help of another before to get by, light and sight and helpful nudges was only insulting. Morir needed no help, nor any helpful suggestions. For five years he had been able to take care of himself, had survived harsh winters and fought off starving predators and emerged each spring alive and well. Somewhat thin perhaps, and more scarred than a sighted creature might... but alive none the less.

What more could you ask for?

A lot, apparently. Company, a purposeful existence, a mare to bed and opponents to beat. Arwydd had, if his mere presence wasn't annoying enough in itself, a knack for digging up his innermost desires and flaunting them before him, as though they were his ideas and Morir was nothing more than a brain-dead chunk of walking meat.

It was in a desperate effort to silence the pesky bird that the ghoul made his way west - yes, west, and he knew this without the aid of mental visions of burning orbs sinking beneath a glistening flat surface - towards a dark, haunting forest he once had planned to rule. Nothing had come of those dreams in the end. The empress-to-be had abandoned her cause and disappeared, the loyal warriors had scattered with the four winds and now here he was, a mere outcast - blind, harassed, jerking the heavy head violently to shake a black bird off the borrowed bone crown - begging for entry.

Like a demon sprung from some nightmarish tale he halted in the gathering darkness with the tip of his longest horn nearly touching the surface of a crumbling wall. If he persisted, the black diamond would make short work of the fragile substance, but kicking down the door was not the best way to introduce yourself to the master of the house. Instead the beast withdrew slightly and settled down to wait with a patience that suggested he would remain until dying days lest he be addressed, prepared to wait quietly however long it took for them to notice him.

With a smug look to it the raven landed on a prong of the white-washed elk skull's antler, settling down like a king upon his throne. The demon tolerated it for a moment - then jerked his head again and sent the bird back into the air with a sharp, piercing caw that echoed throughout the forest.

M O R i R
image credit

Chan did a thing.

♦ Please tag Morir in all replies! 

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu
Something dark this way comes.

It was a feeling that scraped the bottom of his barrel, one that was entirely unpleasant. He was getting more accustomed to unpleasant feelings as of late, and it seemed he could not longer differentiate between them and his demons stirring. It was disconcerting, to be certain. The Elephant had become wary of himself, unsure if he could trust the cardinal directions on his moral compass. Was it tainted? Did it still know ‘north’? Or was some part of him playing with the magnet, slowly and stealthy changing all things once held to be true.

These misgivings were roiling in his mind when (or perhaps because of?) his gaze fell upon the tall shadow standing at their border. His horns were long, impressively ominously so, and the skull which adorned his head furthered the impression. The King’s steps paused, cream cannon bone hovering in the air as he studied the stallion’s marked back. From afar, the grey markings looking like scars. But, as the Elephant approached, the true nature of these markings was revealed.

The giant cocked his head as yet another surprise met his eyes as he neared abruptly halted before the foreboding man. As he searched for his gaze, he found empty sockets of depressed and smooth skin. His eyes widened, mouth opening to speak— but he quickly closes his lips before the untoward words can escape him. He, himself, was accustomed to being judged by his size, but he was unaccustomed to jumping so quickly to conclusions about another.

“Hello,” the low rumble of his voice finally breaks through the heavily misted air (adding even more of a menacing aura to the new recruit). “I am Tembovu, King of the Edge. What brings you to our borders?” Unusually, as he is thrown off by the man’s darkness, he does not remark on any part of his appearance. There is a part of him that desires this man to not hope to join the Edge. But he quickly sweeps this desire deep into his chest, to examine on another day in light and loneliness. Surely it is the shift he had felt in the Deep Forest that has him thinking such things.
Once more into the fray
credits | table by Neo

@Morir he dun threw Tembovu for a loop.

Please tag Tembovu.

Some might say he cheated. Others still would call it devilry, how he always managed to know what was going on around him. Witchcraft and trickery - it always made the hellion smirk to think about. Contrary to belief both then and now, he possessed not a sliver of hidden wisdom. The only witchcraft that ever touched his skin were the glowing marks upon his back and like an oddly shaped birthmark, Morir felt he could hardly be blamed for what his parents gifted him with from birth.

He needed no magic to perceive the goings on, nor sight for that matter. It was as simple as listening, scenting, tasting, feeling the earth beneath his feet and interpret what the signs might suggest. Because while one horse might think it stealthy, silent-footed and hidden from sight, it was harder by far to erase ones personal scent, the rhythm of your breath or the weight of your bulk as steps however careful carried one forward.

So when the King approached to address the mercenary the heavy neck turned even before Temobvu uttered a word, following his approach with uncanny attentiveness - as though the beast somehow could see without eyes, capable of witnessing that which indeed ought to be hidden. And though barely noticeable, he somehow picked up on the vanguards bewilderment; a smile touched upon the inky lips, wry and amused.

"Morir" he retorted, as always sparse of word. The voice were a pitch lighter than the king's, quieter and smoother yet still as deep and smoky as himself. There was a brief pause as the behemoth considered the question. Why exactly had he come here? Maybe there was time to back off yet, to change his mind and retreat back to the solitary existence he was familiar with...

But the raven cawed again as it flitted on and off among the branches above, and something tautened around the hollow sockets, a frown of disgust that found reprieve in a sharp snort.

"I'm looking for work" he finally said. A truth, though of course not the whole story. Never the whole story. It would take much too long to explain.

"If you are in need of able people... I can fight, collect information, perform whatever shadow dealings a herd could use. Winter is approaching... I can be of use until spring, at least."

He tasted the air around the big stallion, tried to gauge his reaction. There were other herds if this one refused him, and outcast bands if all else failed. But, well. It would be better to cut this chase short - or the bloody bird would find something else to mock him for.

M O R i R
image credit

@Tembovu

Tembovu
He felt the hairs along the dark hide of his dorsal stripe raise as the empty pits and skull adorned head followed his every move upon approaching the tri-horned demon stallion. But he stood, great and towering, before the eyeless stare, ears twitching once as the simple, smooth name rolled from his dark lips. The tone was short, as if it cost him more of whatever should he had left to speak each syllable.

An ear flick and a glance spared to the raven in the branches above as it cawed, a throaty sound befitting of the stallion. His gaze returned to the face before him, just barely in time to see the slight tightening around the sockets— though they were barely visible beneath the elk skull.

The King arched a masked brow as the stranger, ‘Morir’, continued to speak. A job? A place to stay for the winter? Instinctively, his gut resounded with ‘No.’ But he did not speak— he thought. One who works for the herd might come to make it a place of residence. And if he was willing to work— Ophelia had left, leaving them shorthanded with spies. There were too few soldiers for his liking… And why was he saying no? Did he only see darkness in this man because he was fighting it within himself? Did that make him see shadows everywhere?

So, it is not denial that sounds on his deep voice. It is questions, “A herd is always in need of able bodies to protect. And the Edge is also in need of shadows to guard us against thieves,” the words causes a small frown to wrinkle his eyes— he knew of such golden thieves, “But you are able, despite being blind?” The question is firm, for he cannot allow a crippled soldier to protect the herd— that was as much of a danger as the enemy.
Once more into the fray
credits | table by Neo
@Morir

Please tag Tembovu.

The apprehension of the king was palatable, his reluctance not so much the way he appeared to lean back as in the slight hesitation before he spoke. It amused Morir as much as it annoyed him. Was it because of his blindness, or... but of course. He had worn it for so long now that he forgot about the presence of the grim mask he wore. Over the years it had become as much a part of him as the tangled mass of hair that hung like a curtain from his crest, an extension of his own body. Before, when the Regime still were active and he an integral part of the operations it had been a mark of his devotion to the darkness they dyed him in, a tribute to the World Eater and a pledge of loyalty to demons and wolves.

Once the loosely bound rag tag band of misfits scattered however, he had thought many times of simply throwing it aside. He had not been raised to walk a path of cruelty and dark deeds and the path of shadows still felt foreign, like a harness strapped on too tightly. Yet he couldn't seem to shake it either. It clung to him, bringing dark thoughts and foul deeds in his wake until he indeed had become what the shaman back home had warned him of - the demon they had painted him out to be, tormented because it was not who he was inside.

Now, Morir thought again of throwing aside the mask. It was merely a piece of bone, hardly more intimidating than a painted symbol or raised spear - and yet it seemed to strike fear in the hearts of everyone who passed him. Still undecided as to whether this reluctance pained him or not, he took it as an excuse to do as he pleased, to play indifferent and continue to dance his ghost dance of dread. But was it time now, to set aside who he had become before it was too late? Was this his chance for a better life, a better existence....

But then Tembovu spoke again and something hardened in the ebon steed, and the nod that made diamond spears draw circles in the air was impatient, annoyed.

He didn't like repeating himself.

"Of course. Who would think to hide themselves from one who cannot see? Being blind doesn't make me deaf, king. I couldn't tell you the color of your enemy nor how many scars they carry, but give me time and I can find out everything else you might need."

People got careless around those they perceived as less able. Many raised their voices when speaking to him as though his disability affected his ears too, and his nose, brain and cock to boot. They spilled their secrets without thinking, sometimes without even knowing how much he perceived about them. Scents, accents, names dropped and troubles shared, how they referred to one place and another...

But he felt no need to explain this, because even though he swallowed the anger of having his sole weakness counted against him yet again, the king had not yet refused him. And if he still hesitated, there was but one thing left for the stray wolf to do.

"Why not test me" he suggested, in an off handed way that was neither challenging nor defensive. "Give me a task, see what I can do. You'll know my worth at the end, either way."

And he smiled, a crooked grin full of the sort of wicked charm that led hot headed colts into battle and mares to betray their stallions - greedy, hungry for a challenge.

M O R i R
image credit

@Tembovu

Tembovu
The answer to his question was an annoyed nod and an answer more verbose than he would have expected. And his words, despite carrying undercurrents of irritation, were sound in their logic. Indeed, hadn’t he, himself, just carelessly approached with silently flapping lips and apprehension etched into every movement? He nodded once, unthinkingly, for the man could not see him nod. Belatedly realizing this, he spoke, “You speak the truth, my apologizes for assuming you unable, Morir.” There was sincerity in his tone, for the Elephant recognized his mistake.

A pause, and then a grin crossed his face as the shadowed man challenged him, “Why not test me? Give me a task.” A man willing to prove his worth? The King was impressed, and felt a small spark of respect light up the shadow of doubt that had overwhelmed his impression of Morir.

The King thought, lips gently pressed, as he considered the man’s words and crooked grin the wickedly spanned his skulled face. His own shadows smiled in kind, stretching their lazy fingers through his brain as the urged and guided the next words that fell from his lips, “If you are as able as you say, procure something of use for a member of the Edge or the herd as a whole,” he paused studying him as foreboding arose in the wake of his demon’s hasty challenge, “Though we’ve an alliance with the Basin, and I caution you against starting herd wars.” The afterthought of precautions fell into the space between the two men.

He studied the man, wondering if he would come to regret this moment.
Once more into the fray
credits | table by Neo
@Morir

Please tag Tembovu.