the Rift

[OPEN] Wake [patrol]

Caneo Posts: 133
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3h :: 6 years HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Ophiria :: Dragon Snake :: None kae

A dream begins this way: Moon. Water. Dirt. In the dream, the sky floats black on the water and the moon floats sharp in them both, a chipped sickle blade discarded by some ancient, wayward god. In the dream, he is a boy on matchstick legs and he runs as if speed can save him from the voices rising like jackal cries in the night.

It always shatters into nothing, and he wakes.

Now, Caneo isn't dreaming. He is standing in full daylight as he stares across the sky. His hooves make ripples in it if he moves. Of course, Caneo doesn't move much. He entered the salt flats knowing everything about how to move in the world and how perception works, but then he got lost and the directions switched he started to wonder how gravity worked when you forgot how it was supposed to work.

So now he's stuck.

He's stuck, and bad memories crawl across the black parts of his mind with measured strides. They take the shapes of wolves and their teeth are like the moon, white, like the sand - white. He stares into the horizon, which has disappeared. And he wonders briefly if he will die here, if that's the worst thing that might happen or if trying - moving - might be worse. After all, he falls into the sky (or the ground?) and is lost forever, is that worse? If he forgets how to walk upright for the rest of his life...? Caneo lowers his long face to stare at the gaunt, imploring creature reflected in the water round his fetlocks. With a snort, he shatters it, and his tail twitches.

And maybe this is a dream.

He supposes he will wait for night, if nothing else happens. This was a waste of time, anyway, since the place is insane and his head hurts and his feet are wet. Looking at the puddles makes a strange, sharp place inside him and he thinks he smells blood sometimes on the wind (hears jackals crying) and he wonders what insanity made anyone decide he should be on patrol. Another sigh. "There's nothing here." Except him.

image credits
Table and Picture by Nicole (Niki)

ooc| patrol fellows @Rhoa & @Asavvi & @Evahna are welcome, also anyone else! Annnnd this post is really weird. idk

* violence & magic use always permitted *
Do not tag Caneo unless you are starting a new thread you would like me to see! Thank you!

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
amaris
dragonborn
Amaris stared at the water.

For it was not just water she saw. It was scales: golden, gleaming in the sunlight, tracing a pathway up from her maw and up the bony nasal passage of her nose - they lay where a blaze would lay on any other equine - any other who did not 'boast' dragonsblood in their veins. For years Amaris had resented the differentness of it, of her own body and self - only recently had she learned to accept it, embrace it, become it - Amaris was a queen dragon, if one where to define her by the colour of her scales, which so many seemed to do with dragons already, and yet in truth she was nothing but a wanderer, a vagabond, a rogue, living her life exploring and discovering things she didn't know she needed, and a missing a great many more things she most definitely knew she needed.

Amaris stared at the water, and she resisted the urge to criticise every scale as it stood so innocently, so strangely naturally (for her, at least), against the pale amber champagne sheen of her pelt. Amaris stared at the water, until her own caramel locks fell from behind her scaled ear, and broke the mirror's surface with a cascade of ripples forever expanding. Suddenly a child again, the dragongirl threw her tiara to the skies and skipped across the surface - chasing ripples, creating more, it didn't matter, she mused, suddenly filled with this new life she had embraced, and thrilled for recognising it within herself.

The dragonmare moved with her wings cupping the air and her tail swinging wide over the smooth shallows. Her feet dance lightly across the salty plains, her motions defined as nothing less than a dance.

nothing here, the sound seems to boom, though it is a softly spoken musing of a lone unicorn standing in the midst of this mirror she dances upon. Amaris twirls so that she might hold this stranger within her golden sights, and calls with her voice that holds an exotic curl with its draconic lilt: "I am here."
sky above me — earth below me
and fire within me
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

A vision intrudes upon the magic of this place: a brilliant dancer armored in sunlight and bars of gold. Her hooves ought to smash the mirrors underfoot, but they don't. If droplets of water scatter from her toes, they do so with a sound like distant bells chiming. If the false sky ripples in the wake of her passing, it does so as if the dream commands it, and nothing is lost.

Caneo, for his part, remembers at last which direction is up. His ears cup forward with a start, and the rest of him slowly catches up: limbs bracing under the narrow curve of his ribs, head rising to its natural height at the end of a long, sinewy neck. She isn't real; the water robs him of her smell but Caneo knows she can't be real. She is a dream, a figment of some laughing god's imagination, and she might at any moment disappear. Two heart beats earlier he would not have cared if all this maddening world dropped out from under him, but now... Caneo bids it stay.

Her voice is a sweet note on the bitter air, and curiosity sparks a cold flame in his eyes. Still, Caneo dares not move. Water laps cool and offensive around his fetlocks as he tilts his long face. Curved silver ears move quickly - back, forward, back - before fixing again on her. She is very pretty, and like nothing he has ever seen or dreamed of seeing, though he searches his memory now for a name or legend about her. He knows nothing of horses armored in scale, or of the way sunlight clings in verdant brilliance to her frame. The urge to peer at her more slowly draws his head forward first, until it reaches the end of his neck and his cloven hooves lift delicately from the shallows.

He takes a step - just one - before he remembers his manners, too.

Hesitating, he allows his weight to balance further back onto his haunches. "Is it a celebration?" Caneo wonders. He knows only a few reason for such things, but he likes the sound of the word, and the way it tastes on his tongue. "Or are you dancing for another reason?" And will she do it again? The stranger moves like poetry, or something from a fairytale. Even if he does wake up, Caneo wants to know about her all he can.

image credits

ooc| @Amaris do you want to be tagged?

Do not tag Caneo unless you are starting a new thread you would like me to see! Thank you!

amaris
dragonborn
Silver and caramel and gold glimmered beneath her, as gently beating wings held her aloft. Ripples rode ever-increasing rings of waves outwards from her, carrying the silver, the caramel, and golden hues with them, behaving much like an optical illusionist's spiral card. Amaris sees the stallion staring at her, considering her - many have done so already in her life, they have looked, stared, and then chosen only one of two options - to close the distance or to increase it.

For a moment, he appeared to be the one who would flee, for he froze, with his twitching ears and tremoring form, spoke of tension, of nerves and fear and uncertainty - but he proved her wrong, he shattered her own prejudice, and he took that single step.

As it shattered the surface of the mirror they stood upon, so too did a smile crack the lips of the dragonmare.

It was a gentle smile, and it transformed her face from its peaceful, happy reverie to something wondrous, something else altogether - even though he hesitated after that first step, he had still taken that step - it was more than many others ever bothered to take.

He questions her motives, her actions, and she only smiles deeper at it. Why was she dancing? It had merely been an expression of thought, an emotive and deeply powerful motion, a gesture of the newly recognised, freshly painted self-respect and acceptance. How many could claim that of themselves? How many could look at all their own flaws, and still face the world with a smile, a dance, a laugh? Certainly, a great many could, but how many truly loved the skin they were in, loved it enough to cease wishing for change, for something "better", or always for something "different"?

Amaris once knew what it was to wish these things. It was a habit still, one that she was breaking, and her dancing, her motions of emotion and passion helped her to do that.

For one could not dance the raw, pure steps she carved without shedding the self-hatred, the loathing, the desire for something else to stare back at her when she peered into the flawless surface that surrounded them.

"I dance," she began, urging her body into motion again, carving a semi-circular path around the unicorn - she would reach a point where he might have needed to turn to keep her within his sights and turned instead, the motion deliberate and yet smooth, flowing, graceful and light. With each turn she took, she might have inched closer to him - or perhaps it was merely the ripples of her motion creeping closer and closer. "-to live."
and fire within me

ooc: tag or no tags, I don't mind either way C:
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Caneo doubts his mind still at the realness of the - mare(?) - if only because he knows of few creatures so brilliant in the mundane light of day. (and which of their dull, petty gods dreams a creature such as this?) And she is brilliant; she reminds him of the sun, but not the same way Tandavi does. Where the Firedancer is warmth, gentle and consuming, this armored creature is brilliance, like the lance of light on the water, like a winter morning, clear and bright. Caneo might doubt her more if he thought his mind capable of dreaming up such a thing; he watches with a steady curiosity, a growing admiration. And the way she smiles.... somehow so different from his own.

He thinks.

He can't think on it too long, because like light she is always moving, sinuous and graceful. She takes his question and draws it out into a long, thin ribbon between them, until anticipation quivers in his legs. When did he last move out of something other than fear? Out of whimsy, or the sheer joy of it? Caneo finds his face mimicking her smile, though he thinks he must wear it wrong, for on him it can't be that same warm. His silver form draws inward as she dances nearer to him; instinct expects collision at the flurry of movement even if intellect denies the possibility. So Caneo is up on his toes when suddenly she draws away, a twist so unexpected she draws him, too, another step. This one is light, though: the beginning of a pattern he doesn't know but (now) wishes to learn.

To live, the word echoes in his mind. His tail swings lazily and his neck snakes into a low arch, and another step draws him forward, and another, as momentum builds between his toes and along the sleek, sharp lines of a body made for movement but never quite how to dance. "Can I join you?" he asks between one step and the next. There's enough grace living between his long, slim bones to make a match for her, though anywhere else he wouldn't dream of it. Caneo hesitates though, drawing out the question just a bit. Mischief, or amusement, or maybe just intrigue, glints in his eyes. He remembers something said to him long ago, under far different circumstances. "Oh, but shouldn't I learn your name?"

image credits

ooc| @Amaris sorry about the wait!

amaris
dragonborn
Life buzzed, it sizzled and sparked throughout her. Her skin quivered and twitched with each breath, she could not be still, for life had finally taken her in its grip, and it energised her, it flooded her senses and coloured her warm laughter. It was the curve of her lips, the kindness behind her eyes - everywhere upon the mare, was this renewed vigour, this sheer, complete example of what living could be, whenever one allowed it.

Golden pools reflect the silver steed before her; they behold him with open friendliness and quiet amusement, encouraging the smiles and the motions his body does, teasing out more from him - more life, more happiness, more. Was she greedy to want this from him, or selfless?

Everything she did this moment was dependant on him, and his reaction to her - he had accepted her presence, at least in the sense that he did not flee her. No, instead, he had questioned her motives for motion, and even as she watched him now, stepped towards her. She could see the energy, the life, spread from herself to him, like an infection carried by the ripples in the water that spread outwards from her and crashed against his own limber stilts.

It only added to the excitement, the energy, the dancing fever she felt. Some say opposites attracted, but so too did like promote like - Amaris was busting at the seams with this greater-than-life sensation, she might have taken wing and flown to the Sun and back, such was the rush that had taken over her blood. Instead, she had danced, and in doing so, she had lured another into her dance, her motion, her display of life and energy.

Perhaps she didn't dance to live after all - perhaps she danced to express the life which she wished to live.

Can I join you? he asked, and she let her smile grow, transform once again, her tiara nodding deeply to show that he needn't ask permission for something so pure, so raw, something that was meant to be shared and enjoyed by any and all.

To his next question, she allows a low purr of laughter to start within her breast. "Perhaps," she muses out loud, curious as to the importance of a name when right now, her priorities depended upon something entirely different, something that even things without names could do - to live, to learn and grow and wonder, and to express all of that in her the smooth, rhythmic motion of dance.

"But first," she said with another turn, "I will live," here she stretched a wing towards him, daring him to allow her to stroke his nape or shoulder, or perhaps inviting him to touch it himself with maw and whiskers. She retracts it soon after though, tilting her tiara and leaning into her next step - hesitating, as she asked, to make it certain that he understood; "The question is not whether you can, dear friend, but whether you will."

Then, in a flurry of smooth motion and small splashes, she invited him to fall in alongside her steps, her leaps and twists and turns, to join her on a dance that would shatter the mirror beneath them into a dizzy spell of ripples and fill the lands with movement and life - something that the strange, eerie stillness of the Halcyon Flats seemed to be sorely lacking.
and fire within me
I like being tagged!

He will never burn as she does: so bright, so lively and alive. Caneo yearns for firelight the same way moths do; the same way planets tilt toward stars. Entranced, he allows the wanting to pull him slowly toward her, and time hazes around him until it doesn't matter at all. If he had something to do here? If it was important? But nothing is, or ever was.

Ripples crash in silence against his long limbs, distorting their reflections, and the trick of the water loses to the trick of the mare, who laughs at him and his politeness. Caneo's teeth set a little on edge at the sound, though nothing in his face reflects that. How easy it is to fall apart when one's scripts (so carefully constructed!) go ignored. But he lets disappointment by the wayside, for now. He can be patient. He can, at least, learn to reflect light if he doesn't make his own. His nose lifts delicately toward her outstretched wing, though he makes no contact; to touch would be to invite in a feeling he despises, and so he flirts with touch instead, breathing in the dusty almost-horse smell of this creature. She is alluring, though he can't say why. He knows almost nothing about her, though Caneo wants to - and maybe mystery is it. Or maybe loneliness; as she pulls away he follows, instinctively.

His own version of their dance is slower, probably, than hers. He is a quiet, brittle creature and it's a long stride or two before he sheds silence and stillness and begins to move as he once moved in the desert: all flight, tireless and unfaltering. There is a wistfulness to this hungry frame that makes him paler than his new companion: a ghost to her steps, following rather than leading, cautious even in freedom. But he is trying. Maybe that's the first step, and the others will come.

image credits

@Amaris