the Rift

[OPEN] i am a leaf on the wind (Joining?)

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She couldn’t say exactly what makes her choose World’s Edge over Dragon’s Throat. Both options had been laid at her feet; both lovely for their own reasons. And even though Elsa doesn’t have much else to add, having offered a place for Lyanna to figure things out had been music to her ears. Because how can she decide, really? How can she know what she wants?

What she wants is her brother back. What she wants is to go home, to Morham. She wants her parents to smile at her again, wants to walk through her forest again, even wants to sit through councils and meetings and everything that once, not so long ago, she found terribly boring.

But she had loved that life, even the most boring bits of it. And she doesn’t want to be here, starting from square one. So when Elsa offered a place to figure it out, it was like the woman had read her mind. Not that Lyanna thinks she did (or knows if she can), but simply that it might have been fate that Elsa said those very words.

Maybe the Edge can be home. Maybe it’ll be more than just a place to stay for a while. But at least it was a start. It was the beginning of a new life. Lyanna may not want it, but she knows she has no choice. She has to start over, and she’ll do it with as much of an open mind as she can. What good is pouting going to do her? She can kick and scream all she wants, but it won’t change the truth of her life.

So instead she makes her way to the border of the edge. It takes her a little while to figure out just exactly where she’s going, but at least, she has the advantage of flying. She takes to the sky, knowing that the Throat lays to the South, but little else. So she flies, trying to dip low in places and catch snippets of conversations until she finally figures out where she’s going.

And then she sees the forest. It is the first thing that snags her attention, and the only thing that matters. It’s not Morham, not her forest. But perhaps it could be. She could learn the trees of this one just as she had in Morham. She lands then, stopping where she thinks the border of the kingdom must be (more or less, anyway). Sounds of life grow stronger farther past the forest, so it’s here that she waits. Someone will find her.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
Alysanne
Alysanne stumbled across the stranger standing on the borders of the Edge quite by accident and, despite her job, despite her part in this herd, she hesitated and considered actually flying for the first time in years just to avoid the other pegasus. She was probably the worst council member of the bunch just for entertaining the thought and she hoped no one was watching as she approached the borders of the Edge and how she physically hesitated in her steps. But she reasoned with herself about how incredibly drastic it would be for her to go through such great lengths.

Besides, she wasn’t entirely sure that she’d be able to land safely in the forest if she tried. She’d have to circle back and find an adequately large flat area - the meadow to the south, perhaps, and that was a long journey back just to avoid a little bit of conversation. Especially when she had no worldly reason to avoid the black mare standing there. The teal accents brought to mind Parelia and she had to admit she was curious as to whether this stranger was related to her old friend.

With the curiosity fueling her and a soft sigh of something close to resignation, she continued forward to the borders of the Edge - having come from outside herself. The black and white pegasus came up on the left side of the stranger, moving forward a couple steps and then turning back to face the other mare. She managed, thankfully, to find a warm smile and though her green eyes were not particularly bright with it, there was at least no trace of her hesitant and frosty intentions moments earlier. “Hello!” The word came out cheerfully - almost surprisingly so - and she continued speaking after only a slight pause in the hopes that the cheer would continue. “Welcome to the Edge. My name’s Alysanne, can I help you with anything?”

This wasn't so hard and - besides - she fully expected that a small crowd would form at the sight of a stranger as it was often the case. The new herd that had settled here was definitely an eager and friendly bunch.
everybody heals with love
Image Credit
table by Sevin <3
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She hears footsteps on her left first, the soft sound of hooves rustling in the grass and hitting the earth. Lyanna turns her head, wings tucked to her side, as another black and white mare makes her way forward toward the kingdom before turning to face Lyanna. She assumes the mare belongs, given the way she positions herself, though she isn’t really sure of anything until the other mare actually speaks.

Her smile is warm and friendly, and Lyanna returns the expression with a warm smile of her own. She has no idea it was only moments ago that this mare was considering ignoring Lyanna completely, and never would know, unless somehow that little tidbit came up in conversation. Which seems unlikely. But either way, the greet is pleasant, and she’s glad that this seems to be a trend (so far, at least) in Helovia.

Lyanna still feels like such a clueless outside. What can she possibly offer all these stranger? Why are they even so kind to her? It’s not like she’s done anything to deserve the kindness (though she’s done nothing not to deserve it, either). Sometimes it just shocks her how welcoming they are. In Morham, they were always a little wary of newcomers. Nothing terrible, but when there are rumors of unrest on the horizon, it’s hard not to be. They didn’t necessarily accept every one of them with such open arms.

“Lyanna,” she offers with a nod of her head, figuring it’s probably best to start with her own name in return. Manners. Something Lyanna has had ingrained in her since she was a little girl. Hard to escape those lessons when you are royalty though. Well, when you were royalty. Not anymore. “I met Elsa in the field, and she offered to let me come stay here. I was hoping to take her up on that offer, if it’s still valid.”

It hadn’t even crossed her mind that the offer might have expired. But she’d find a place eventually, right? They were so nice here though, she wasn’t overly worried. Still, it’s hard not to have that slight concern prickling the back of her mind. But she ignores it as much as she can, and waits for the answer.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@ Alysanne

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Alysanne
Ah, a new recruit! Alysanne wondered why it was that Lyanna was showing up on her own, without Elsa to guide her here, but perhaps their Queen had been pulled away to other matters. She had never worn a crown, had no desire to, and it seemed to come with an incredible amount of responsibility. It was certainly conceivable that something would have happened along the way and remarkable that Lyanna had found her way here all on her own. Although Alysanne was assuming that this mare was a newcomer to Helovia in her thoughts, it was just as likely that she had already known where the Edge was.

She would find out eventually, if she could remember how to have a simple conversation with someone on these borders that didn’t end in fire and grounding her daughter. The painted mare quickly brushed aside those thoughts, not wanting them to ruin the peaceful moment.

Lyanna seemed kind - she would fit in well with the herd here. A soft, wistful smile played in Alysanne’s bright green eyes as she remembered being recruited here herself. Feeling so lost and uncertain, but welcomed with open arms and accepted into the family without hesitation. It seemed the least she could do to return the favour. Perhaps she should be more wary of strangers, but she used up all her wariness on those she knew and that left kindness for those she didn’t.

“Of course! There is no expiration date on such offers. Welcome.” Alysanne stepped aside as she said that last word and motioned for the mare to come forward, actually into the Edge - there was no point in lingering on the border any longer than necessary. She trusted Elsa’s judgement, at least in all things other than Aurelia were concerned, and was happy to step up to the role of greeter for the day. It was the perfect distraction, after all.

There were dozens of questions to ask but she would settle on one - not wanting to overwhelm their newest member straightaway. “If you’ve had a long trip I can show you some safe places to rest in the forest and if not I can give you a tour?”  

Image Credit
table by Sevin <3
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

It really was sheer luck that Lyanna didn’t end up on the border of some random herd, or more likely, trespassing on one. Maybe fate or the gods intervened, putting a map in her head that she didn’t know what there. But likely, she thinks she’s just really lucky. And had managed to learn enough information from her time in the Threshold to not be completely lost. There was that, too.

Alysanne’s welcome is a warm as everyone else’s had been, and she finds herself relaxing as the other mare steps aside. There had been such a lingering tightness of uncertainty surrounding her that the welcome almost makes her cry. She didn’t realize how tightly she’d been wound, how worried, how sad.

She hasn’t had time to be sad, really. She’s been running for so long, she’d never even had a moment to really think. And when they finally stopped here, she’d been preoccupied with trying to figure out what to do here, that she still hadn’t mourned the loss of her family.

But now was not the time, and she doesn’t let the sorrow consume her. A skill of her old life. Princesses don’t have the luxury of sorrow or anger, except in the confines of solitude. And instead of crying (though perhaps there is a moment of sadness in her eyes before it’s gone), she smiles at the mare and steps into her new home. “Thank you,” she says, meaning it. There is something truly comforting to know she has a place to rest.  

“I would love a tour, if you don’t mind. “ She’d been traveling for far too long, and knows she should rest. But she’d rather see the place she’s going to call home for now. Would rather learn whatever she can. There would be time for sleep later.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Alysanne

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty

Ears perked as he walked forward towards the Edge’s borders, hearing the good Moon Doctor speaking of welcoming and no expiration dates on offers. His friend was welcoming another into the Edge? So many had come to the borders as of late— the Elephant King had found himself busy (happily preoccupied) with learning of these new faces. Who were they? What were their stories? What were their hopes, dreams, aspirations?

Some were not so bright, as his thoughts turn to the darkly shadowed Morir. The skulled stallions sit sat uneasily in his conscience— but it was not be an exterior that allowed or denied one into the Edge. It was their substance; what the were made of. Vaguely he wondered if the dark man had succeeded in the task he had set for him…

His thought were brought back to the present as his broke through the numerous trunks, eyes alighting on Alysanne and the new, winged mare. His great head nodded in greeting, eyes warming towards his Doctor, before turning his navy gaze to study the darkly winged woman. She was ebony, with swipes of ivory on her legs and tail, and hints of bright blue at the edges of her being. It was a striking contrast, truly.

He came on the end of her words of requesting a tour. A smile crossed his broad, pale muzzle, “We can provide you a tour,” his low voice rumbled, “I am Tembovu, and I lead the Edge alongside Elsa,” but did he really ‘lead’ the herd? Or did he merely preside over and ensure safety and rule-abiding? Again, sweeping thoughts aside, he glanced towards Alysanne, vaguely wondering how his Moon Doctor was doing. It had been a long while since he had truly spoken to the piebald mare. But his gaze rivets back to the newcomer, ever-busy mind wondering what this darkly winged woman’s story was. “Where do you come from, teal-wings? And do you have a vocation you wish to follow?”
image credits
- table by Niki -

ooc| @Alysanne @Lyanna sorry for crashing this late, but I wanted Tembovu to meet Lyanna! :D

Please tag Tembovu.

Alysanne
Before Alysanne could respond in the positive, tell Lyanna she would be happy to give her a tour, the familiar figure of Tembovu joined their group and answered the question for her. She wasn’t at all surprised by his presence, their king seemed extremely interested in meeting new members and greeting as many of them on the border as he could. Not a bad habit, to be sure, but one that he seemed diligent in keeping up. Did he linger there often, she wondered, hoping to catch someone? Or perhaps it was all by luck, the way she had found Lyanna today.

She rather thought luck had little to do with it, however, and rather enjoyed the image of the giant Tembovu attempting to lurk behind the firs and pines of the Edge just waiting for someone new to meet.

And it was that thought, blended with their friendship, that caused a silent flash of mirth in her green eyes at his approach. She had seen many kings and queens during her stay in Helovia, each bringing something a little different to the station, and she was glad they had Tembovu and Elsa with them now. With regret, she thought of how much Tembovu and Kahlua would gotten along.

Fortunately, there was no time for such thoughts. She moved easily into finishing the introductions - unsure of just how much Tembovu had heard of their conversation before he came over. “Tembovu, this is Lyanna - our newest member.” She smiled warmly at the mare before gesturing for their small group to move off and start the tour. They could talk about ranks and histories as they stretched their legs and got the pegasus mare accustomed to the herdland.

Image Credit
table by Sevin <3

@Lyanna <3
made by the lovely tamme

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She can’t help but note similarities and differences around every corner. The thoughts simply slip into her mind. She keeps comparing Helovia and Morham, trying to figure out where the customs are the same and where they are different. Mostly, she finds only differences. Subtle in some places, but still, differences.

Morham, for one, only had one kingdom. There were bordering kingdoms, but if you came to Morham, you lived under her family’s rule (until the rebellion, of course). Her father always introduced himself as King and her mother as Queen. As had their parents, and their grandparents, and everyone who had come before.

But the stallion that approaches now simply introduces himself as a leader along with Elsa. And Elsa had mentioned nothing of the sort in the Threshold. Old habits kick in quickly, and she actually has to stop herself from bowing. Alysanne doesn’t, and Lyanna quickly figures that might not be how things are done here. So instead, she offers the horned stallion and nod and a smile.

Alysanna introduces her, so Lyanna simply adds, “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Tembovu.” Alysanna gestures them forward, and so Lyanna falls into step beside her two companions, following wherever they led her. Her attention darts between the landscape around her and the conversation at hand as they go.

Tembovu asks where she’s from, and what vocation she might want. The thought of what path to follow in a herd had never even crossed her mind, really. She was groomed to be a princess for life. She knows a bit about ruling, but that’s not where’s she’s going to start here. And really, she doesn’t even know if she’d want to. But what else can she possibly do?

“I come from a place called Morham. It’s rather small, and a good distance from here, so I suspect the name might not mean anything.” She says with a pleasant smile, not sure she needs to go into exactly why she left. She would, certainly, if asked. But she doesn’t want to bring the mood of their little conversation down with the tale of how her family was killed, and how her and her sister came to Helovia in order to save their own skins. That’s the sort of thing you save for a rainy day, or something.

“Forgive me, but I’m pretty clueless to Helovian customs. What vocations do you have here? Though I can tell you for certain you probably don’t want me in your army. My brother always told me I’d make a dreadful warrior.” She laughs slightly, keeping the sorrow from that laugh. Instead, she remembers Corbin teach her to fight. She could fight, honestly. And she didn’t mind beating up her brother. They got into a plenty good, playful spars. But at the same time, she hated it, and when instructed to spar with anyone else, Lyanna almost always lost the fight on purpose.

He’d known her heart well. Lyanna was no warrior. But there must be something she can do for this new herd of hers. Some place for her. She’ll just have to figure out what.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Alysanne @Tembovu

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

A warm smile on his broad muzzle greets the flash of mirth and greeting smile of Alysanne. Navy gaze shifts to Lyanna as the Moon Doctor introduces her and she just catches her bending knees as a greeting slips simply from her lips. Great, massively horned skull nods in return, “Lyanna is a lovely name.” His remark was equally as simple and genuine as her statement. He had made it out of Dorobo alive by mirroring the demeanor of those he conversed with. And now, despite being King and thus the one who dictates the decorum of conversations, old habits died hard— especially habits that kept you alive.

Alysanne’s long and lithe legs (surprisingly athletic for a Doctor, as he had found firsthand in their spar) begin to churn and lead their small gathering through the Edge and towards the cliffs. The Elephant obliges in following, though his ears and eyes are trained on Lyanna as she answers his question. He shakes his head, confirming her notion that he did not know of Morham. He had travelled through a great many lands to reach Helovia from Dorobo— but Morham had not been one of them.

Though he does not interrupt her, as she continues to ask after Helovia and the ranks within the herd. A lopsided grin crosses his thick lips with her claim that she’d make a dreadful warrior, finding her laugh and forthright honesty both amusing and refreshing. “Well then, we’ll not throw you into our warrior’s spars,” his grin grew, “If you are inclined towards healing, then you find yourself in the right company Alysanne,” his eyes and horn motion towards the lovely, piebald mare, “is one of the Moon Doctors of the Edge. We’ve also crafters, who create and shape the Moon’s glass; sleuths, who watch for those who would steal from the Edge; and Seers, who follow the wise and religious paths.”

He paused, eyes sweeping towards Alysanne, “How are your healer ranks?” He realized that, in his leaving such trust in his Doctors, knew very little of how they fared.
image credits
- table by Niki -

@Alysanne @Lyanna I'M SO SORRY next time kick me! I totally didn't realize it was my turn!

Please tag Tembovu.

Alysanne
Alysanne shakes her head slightly, confirming that she had not heard of Lyanna’s home. It was amazing to her how many different lands there seemed to be - how everyone seemed to always find their way to Helovia as if it were a beacon. The black pegasus went on to explain that she did not think the warriors would be the right rank for her. “Don’t worry about that, you’re not the only one. Right, Tembovu?” Alysanne’s face crinkled into laughter as she leaned over to nudge Lyanna in what, she hoped, was some measure of comfort. Their newest member needn't feel ashamed of not being a warrior. Alysanne had sparred with their King to disastrous effects, and since had fully accepted that she was not meant for the art of combat. The pain on her own body was nothing, welcomed even - she hadn’t bothered to heal her own injuries afterwards, the bruises and strains welcome reminders that she had tried to enter a world that she had no place in.

Fortunately, there’s no enough time for her to dwell on such things. Her mind is quickly distracted by other things - comforted by those in her presence.

She’s curious about what path might be most interesting for their newest member, though she did not need to decide right now. She leads Lyanna and Tembovu through the woods - pointing out her own sleeping area (clearly noticeable by the long grass that has been trampled in the centre like a nest, a perk of her passive magic), the river. They’re slowly making their way toward the cliffs - luckily Lyanna need not fear them, thanks to her wings.

After explaining their ranks and the options available aside from being a warrior, Tembovu inquired after the healing ranks. “Well, thank you for asking. Callista has gone missing, I’m afraid. But Tilney has been very keen in his lessons. I was thinking we might travel south soon, explore the areas that are still warm where we might find new herbs?” It was as much a question as it was an idea.

Image Credit
table by Sevin <3

@Lyanna :D
made by the lovely tamme

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

Both shake their head at the mention of her home, though it doesn’t surprise her. In fact, she finds it somewhat comforting. Adelene and Lyanna had stayed here, believing they’d be anonymous, believing that Helovia was so far removed for Morham that their lives wouldn’t be in danger. It seems that belief was correct. If Morham wasn’t known here, then what threat could either sister be in? There were so many strangely colored horses here anyway that the teal coloring the girls shared was no longer a marking a royalty. It was simply commonplace.

Still, there’s that pang of longing and sorrow that floods her, only briefly, as she realizes also that Morham will be nothing but a distant memory soon. This was her life now, and it was so different than the one she thought she’d be living.

She wonders what it would even be like to spar without the power of the wind behind her. Never had the thought even crossed her mind that she’d lose her power. Corbin fought with fire and she with the wind. Corbin had taken the time to teach her some basics without her powers, so she wasn’t defenseless. But still, she felt empty and naked without the wind, and she is glad that they so easily give her alternatives than fighting.

Alysanne makes what, Lyanna thinks, is a joke. Though it’s something between Tembovu and Alysanne. Still though, the other mare gives Lyanna a gentle nudge, and she offers a small smile in return.  “Good to know,” she says with that smile, happy to return the effort that Alysanne has shown in making her feel welcomed. The kind demeanor of the horses in the Edge had made all this a bit easier for Lyanna.

They continue to move through the forest. Alysanne points out her sleeping area, and then a river that winds it way through the forest. Lyanna keeps her ears perked and her attention on her surroundings, trying to learn as much as she can as quickly as she can. She doesn’t like feeling so adrift, doesn’t like feeling like she has nothing to offer. Though her parents had let her wander the forests of Morham quite often, she still knew her role and her place in that life. Here though? She simply wanted to find her new role here, and give back to those that had given her so much. Even if they didn’t know just how much they’d given her.

A place to sleep and a reason to hope that life wouldn’t be impossibly bleak, however, was more than she could have dreamed of in the aftermath of her family’s massacre.

Tembovus brings up Alysanne’s role within the herd, asking how the healer ranks are faring. He mentions crafters, sleuths and seers as well. She could perhaps craft, though she cannot image herself being particularly sneaky or devoting her life to a religion and a goddess she knows nothing about. But healing? That, perhaps, she could be good at. She waits patiently, waiting to see what Alysanne said about the ranks. When Alysanne finishes, she finally speaks up. “Could you use one more healer, then?” She asks, attention mostly on Alysanne, though she keeps her attention flicking between both horses. “I think I might not suck at that.” And, unbidden, Apollo flicks into her head, with his own gift of healing from the Earth god. She seems to be getting along with the healers in Helovia, so perhaps it’s the right path for her to follow. 

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Alysanne

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

His broad features mirrored the crinkling smile of Alysanne’s, as she encouraged the teal-accented woman about not pursing a warrior’s path. Though it didn’t fully reach his eyes as he recalled his spar with Aly— what had been a training exercise for the King had seemed to run so much deeper for the Doctor. Ears tilt forward, gaze following the comforting nudge his piebald healer gave Lyanna.

He had been perturbed when Alysanne had not healed herself after their spar— was she punishing herself? An ear flicked backwards at the thought, and swept it aside. Although it was replaced with some form of envy at the comforting touch the two mares shared. Not a malicious envy— more of a sudden cresting of loneliness, as if their touch highlighted how isolated the King had become. Pushing away Alysanne in their spar, watching Mauja draw away in his grief, Erthe growing into her own independence, Elsa withdrawing into her past demons, Anzanie focused on mothering her own child, Rexanna pregnant by another, Iona lost in shadows to protect the Edge, Nyx gone to find her father…

He had fallen slightly behind the mares as these dark thoughts swirled through his great skull. They were broken into by Alysanne’s answer to his question. “Callista is gone?” his lips pursed in disappointment as a frown creased his brow. His attention flickers to Lyanna as she inquires after healing, frown smoothing from his face at her sudden interest. A lopsided grin crosses his broad muzzle at her words, and he nodded towards Alysanne in answering her questioning idea, “I agree, traveling South for more herbs would be useful. Perhaps Lyanna could join you.”
image credits
- table by Niki -

@Alysanne

Please tag Tembovu.

Alysanne
“Unless you’ve seen her lately, I’m afraid so.” It wasn’t a rare thing for members of the herd to go missing occasionally - when your population was almost composed of those who had wandered in from other homes, some of them were bound to wander back out again at some point. Alysanne certainly had, twice - though she had been careful to let her friends know that she would be gone for a while.

But although they have recently lost one of the healers - they’ve gained another. Lyanna asked whether they could use one more healer and Alysanne’s grin brightened once more. “You would be most welcome as a healer, Lyanna.” But the next words from Lyanna caused that grin to flicker into a frown. “It’s okay to not know anything, we all start somewhere.” It bothered her how much the black mare was putting herself down. Perhaps that would be something that could be worked out with a little bit of kindness. Everyone sucked when they were starting out.

They could certainly work on that when they were travelling south!

“For now, let’s continue the tour - and then we can find you somewhere comfortable to rest. It’s been quite the day!” She smiled warmly at the two in her company, enjoying their presence as they continued to wander into the Edge.

Image Credit
table by Sevin <3

super short post just thought I'd wrap it up nicely <33
@Lyanna
made by the lovely tamme