the Rift

Hiding | [Open]

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme

ENGINEERS CREATE THAT WHICH HAS NEVER BEEN

Ulrik's sides were dripping with sweat by the time he walked to the northern regions of Helovia. Droplets of saline dripped from his beard and chest feathers, hissing and smoking on the now icy floor. The sudden chill of the north bristled his thin, wet fur, and he let out a rough, sudden breath of frost. Damn the Sun God and his need for torturing others. At his heels followed an over-heated, mechanical cat whose gears were much happier in the cool. However, damage to the wiring had already been done, and the mechanical cat stuttered in a sickly way every few steps.

The thought of killing his first, true creation was frustrating, but Ulrik was not one for sentiment. Besides, he could use the parts for his next project. Something more... wild... diabolical and dangerous. The stallion's eyes flashed with glittering bronze wickedness, and he flashed his leonine tail around his feathered fetlocks. Darkness shrouded in ice called to him, and he followed, finding solace in the cool cave. Still, the effects of the Sun God were not ignored here. Drips echoed through the ice as the thick sheets began to melt, slowly.

With a click and a whir, the Mechanical cat laid down near the cave's entrance and stared out dimly at the world with glowing, backlit eyes. Ulrik watched with interest for a moment before embracing the chill. "Damn this weather..." he grunted in his deep, growling voice. "Damn this changed world. What happened to the spine of the horned ones in this fucking country? Do none of them have the balls to take over?" Ulrik was displeased that his king allowed the average rabble to join the World's Edge, so he took a brief leave of absence from his mechanic's duties.

Lotus Posts: 31
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.2 :: 3
Whit
My eyes have been opened, numerous times, since my arrival in this realm. Helovia, are you out to change the fundamental properties that make who I am? I arrived here, tired and fleeing a past which has confused me, and I am thrown into a world of males, Pegasus and equine, and all things else that might exist under this unbearable Sun. The Edge is wilting, and it is with little surprise that I find it to be a rather empty land. I take my leave of the place, having done my shift of watching the borders. Dirk, my forever-companion, clings to my withers, his little paws gently waving at the flowers that reside amongst my tendrils. There are fewer flowers there this season, the oppressive sunlight having drained a lot of my energy, and evidently a lot of my magic too. But still they permeate their scent, however dimmed, and still I find myself welcomed by most things male. It is something to which I have always been accustomed to, however now I find myself wondering whether they like me simply for my magic, or simply for me. At my old home, such things would never have mattered to me. But here, where I mustn’t pay homage to my Earthly God through sacrificing a mate, I find strange little insecurities about my own self emerging.

Dirk purrs as he dozes atop my withers, and I take us to a cooler part of the lands, seeking out anything to relieve me of this heat. With some curiosity I observe the scent trail of another Edge member, and wouldn’t you know it – another stallion. But I have not met this one directly yet, perhaps only in passing. There is something metallic about his smell, and I follow his trail towards the Arch, enjoying the change in climate, wondering at the land’s ability to maintain ice even amidst such a season. I hear a voice, his voice, ahead of me, but I cannot make out the exact words he speaks. “Hello.” I murmur to the dark brute before me, gentle tones calling ahead as my slender legs approach closer. Nodding my tiara to him, my hazel eyes drink his form greedily. I will admit that he is a fine specimen of the male gender, strong and sturdy in build, certainly one that I would have considered preying upon with my womanly ways in my previous home. As it was, I gave him a small smile, addressing him from one herdmate to another. “I am Lotus, of the Edge. This is Dirk.” Arching my nape I reveal the kitten who hides amongst the strands of mane that linger over my shoulder.

The crunch of snow beneath hooves and the scent of flowers roused the engineer from a light and listless slumber. Bronze eyes snapped open sharply, though his his imposing form did not shift in the stillness of the cave. The figure of a rather tiny mare was briefly silhouetted against the sun as she walked into the cave, and Ulrik's eyes tracked her like a predator. With each step closer, she seemed to get even smaller, and the stallion was pleased to see that she was a horned noble like himself.

Social normalcies were lost in the mind of the genius, so he stood, still and staring at the new creature and examined her with a critical and unforgiving eye. She was small. Almost too small, but such a flaw could be forgiven. Her emerald eyes were unnatural and therefore beautiful as Ulrik craved the unusual and rare. The mare's lithe and beautiful figure was earthen brown, though the shade changed to suit her body. Two brands, obviously representing water and the earth were present on delicate shoulders, and he found another slight flaw as he was a follower of the dark. Still, this was only a subtle flaw. The material of her horn fascinated the stallion, and he desired to know what made it shine so... iridescently. Overall, the stallion gave the mare a functional rating just under the maximum and a beauty rating at the maximum.

Though he was not one for tender smells, the blooms in her mane were rather nice. A pleasant reprieve from oil, blood and metal that he usually spent his time slaving over. She said hello. He said nothing. The mare arched her slender neck to reveal a useless, clawed creature in her mane. Ulrik mused that a single, sharp exhale from his nostrils would sent the creature waving like a fuzzy banner. What purpose could it possibly serve? Ulrik glanced to his side as his metallic cat began to wake from its mechanic slumber. The hum of the gears was music, and he grinned, rustling the long, black and bronze beard beneath his chin.

"Lotus." he repeated in his deep, growling tenor. "I am Ulrik, the Edge's Mechanic. Though I am considering defecting. I am not keen on the hornless rabble taking part in the affairs of our more glorious kind," he said. Ulrik leaned over her neck and stared down the furry creature. "What purpose does this serve?"

Outcast
Whit
The bronzed gaze of the stallion tracks my movement, I can feel him absorb my figurine, but he was a stoic one, only when a strange sound started clicking away deeper in the cave did his façade crack to shape his handsome lips into a smile. I take the opportunity of silence to run my own eyes over him, adapting to the darkness in the few seconds. I notice the tribal markings that run up his foreleg and shoulder, and openly I admire them, just as I see him peer at my own. I wear the marks of the Earth God with pride, despite the flag of my realm being that of the Moon – it wasn’t that I believed in her less, or wasn’t also grateful to her, it was simply that as a child I was raised to worship the Earthly one, and such things linger with you through the ages. I was young, compared to this steed, I could tell, though I did not waver beneath his glare. I let him observe me, and watched him in return. He was a fine specimen, his rich masculine scent very different to the flowery composition of my own. That metallic twinge still lingered in the atmosphere, and the strange noises from before seemed to shuffle and grow some more.

It was dirk who spotted the metal contraption, he sent me a mental image of what he saw with questioning undercurrents through our bond. It was a fascinating concept, this bond – being able to feel and experience what another feels, even a child’s mind such as Dirk’s was captivating. I turn my gaze to view this, squinting to focus in the dark, the rough outline of a cat – though not a cat like my Dirk – becoming evident. The stallion’s own scent was brassy and earthy, like the metal contraption before me, and slowly I wondered if it was he who had constructed the creation. Delight and interest was shown for a moment as I considered it, for it was Earthly magic if ever I saw, even if it was Earthern magic mixed with another, like my own, there was still that aspect of similarity. Before I can speak of my delight however, he seems to come to a conclusion about me, and at last my petite flutes capture his name within their grasp. His speech reminds me of Mauja’s way of thinking, the supremacist view that Unicorns were better than their hornless counterparts. Despite the time I had spent here, even with a few hornless creatures wandering the Edge, I was yet to come across one, and so I had for the most part, reserved my judgement of them.

But then, so many saw those who lacked horns as evil, perhaps there was credence to their opinions? I mulled the thought over a moment, deciding that while I will hold my judgement for now, I certainly did not have high expectations of the unhorned ones. He leans over me now, and I sense Dirk’s tension building, the hair upon his back rising, his tail growing fluffier, in a cat’s reaction making himself seem larger. His little lips raise and while some tendrils of my mane drift over him, flashes of ivory teeth are shown. Though he could cause little damage to anything right now, he would grow, and so too would his damage capabilities. A small hiss sounds out, a mere nervous warning, and I do my best to soothe him through our bond. He means no harm, little one. I think gently, having learned that the kitten can hear and respond to my thoughts. I radiate calming tones through the bond, and feel him relax, slightly, though his fur still stood on edge. Politely my voice ventures forth from my lips, and I explain my companion to him, though the knowledge is still quite new to me.

He serves to keep me company, and though he is young and small, he will grow older and stronger soon enough. He is my companion, we are bonded by mind and soul.” I answer his query of Dirk first, wondering if he would be able to comprehend such a thing. I struggled to at first, and still do wonder at the possibility of it all, but I would not change what had happened for the world. “I can’t say I am a fan of the recent changes; though I’ve had no trouble from a hornless creature yet.” Commenting absently on his remark about the other species, I dully lean towards agreeing with him. “Surely our King would have made the decision for a reason?” Perhaps he was drawing his enemies closer to him, to make it all the more easier to crush them? I sighed, my questioning eyes roaming to the figure of the mechanical feline once more. “Are you the father of such a creation?” I indicate with the inclination of my tiara towards the creature, my curiosity unable to be held within.

She was not one for subtlety, apparently. He could feel and watch her green gaze slide up his form, and he raised a whiskered brow, smirking. Obviously from her lingering gaze, she had found something redeeming in his appearance. Ulrik had never thought about his masculinity as a positive trait, as he was more of a creature of the mind, but he had drawn the royal flush of the gene pool. He came from a frosty land, farther north, where he was lightweight among his warring and somewhat simple herd. The stallion's obsession with mechanics and machinery was often mocked by his stupid brothers and sisters who spent their time foolishly butting heads and yelling like dogs. Ulrik's talents and skills were unappreciated in his home, so he left.

Her eyes squint to settle on his creation, and thus he grinned. Even with the heat damage, his metallic cat was glorious and complex. Any creature with half an intellect could see this. The glowing, red eyes flickered with the failing circuit board, but the machine still approached slowly, claws flexing in the snow. It stood next to its master and whirred, leaking oil every now and then. Ulrik turned his face to look down at the cat, frowning slightly and displaying his two, crooked horns. He let her name slide from his lips, and his current irritation was made known as well.

Ulrik was highly amused at the tiny, furry creature's pathetic attempt at defense. The little, white claws were about the length of his lashes and could do little damage, and the way its black fur stood up made it look like a hairy dome. Something changed the demeanor of the thing, and the stallion furrowed his brows. Obviously there was some link between the two, and he asks about the cat.

Bonded body and soul. Were he any good with the more arcane, medical arts, he would desire to dissect the two and discover the source of this bond. Perhaps then he could replicate the part and link himself to one of his metal machines. The technology was there... all he had to do was create the artificial component. "Fascinating," he muttered, looking over the tiny creature with narrowed, analytical eyes. Her words drew him from his thoughts, and his bronze gaze slid back to her emerald one. The stallion respected her opinion on the matter. "Perhaps I am premature in my anger as I have not had an unpleasant run-in with a hornless in our herd yet either," he mused. "I would hope he has a good reason, but I cannot see one."

Father? He looked down at the slowly dying machine with no expression of emotion. Creator? Yes. Engineer? Yes. Mechanic? Yes. Father? That word created an interesting dilemma. If he was the father of this thing, then he was a murderer of his own children; when they got old and useless, he destroyed them. "In a manner of speaking," he replied. "I created it. It has served well, but the heat has been unkind to the circuits." The metal cat laid down in the stillness of the cave and seemed to be listening with interest. Ulrik knew that the creature was incapable of being interested by anything. The stallion's bronze gaze snapped to the mare. "You too are a follower of the Earth?" he asked.

Outcast
Whit
The sounds the creature made seemed to be akin to sounds of a biological creature’s life failing. I watched it struggle its way towards us, curious as to its mechanics, but at the same time not bothered if I never found out. Dirk leaned over my shoulder to peer down at it, wonder in his mismatched little eyes, and a small mew echoed from his maw. It was interesting to see this Ulrik stare at his creation so dryly, as if he couldn’t really care whether it worked or not – surely it would work longer if he cared for it, maintained it, even in this heat? But it was not my place to instruct him on how to take care of his toys – for it appeared, that’s all they were. A sly grin crossed my lips and I made to respond to his words on the machine with an echo of his first query to myself.

“What purpose does it serve?” He had mentioned that it had served its intended purpose, but what exactly was that? If he replied in any kind of similar fashion as I had remarked upon my bond with Dirk I would be surprised at his need to inquire after Dirk. Keen flutes awaited his response, but then his gaze became slightly sharp, and he shot me a question with regards to the God whom I have served all my life. I was surprised, almost worried that he had somehow discovered my past, discovered the Amazonian herd I had been raised in, that he might know of my training in finding a suitable mate in order to use him for his goods and then sacrifice his blood to the Earth God… but there was no way for this stallion to know all of that, for none who ventured to my homeland ever left.

“The Earth God has been a guiding figure all my life, while I respect and acknowledge the others that exist, he has marked me as his own, and I will always be his faithful servant.” There was no point in hiding my love for the Earthern arts, and I lowered my tiara a little, though still gazed at his rich tan eyes. They weren’t dissimilar to my own eyes, though the brown in his was more prominent whereas it was the green in mine that was more obvious. I was cautious not out of fear of punishment for my beliefs, but because I knew that our herd was devout to the Moon Goddess, and I was saddened that the Earthly arts might be forgotten. I shook my nape lightly, the scent of the flowers permeating and gathering strongly in the confined space; I wondered if the effects of the pheromones would soften the stallion’s reaction to my words – if they had already had an effect. It was strange to spend extended periods with the male gender, and never know whether they spoke what was truth or what their manly bits told them to speak – a truth experienced by more than just me, I suppose, but certainly more often questioned by one with magic such as I.

It was only after some consideration that I had realised that he had asked his query in such a way that suggested he too was a follower of the Earth. But I was slightly sceptical, and worried, wondering if he was trying to lure me into a trap by setting up a false sense of security within my heart. Surely he wouldn’t do that to me, one of my own herd, and one who possesses blessed abilities of the Earth? Shifting my weight, I was unable to hide my unease for the expected response I might receive.

Metal jaws snapped as the creature's gaze seemed to instantly be placed on the tiny creature upon the mare's back. The articulated, metal tail swung back and forth, and Ulrik stomped his hoof down authoritatively. With a respectful bow, the metal cat returned to its more dormant state. Bronze eyes spied the sly grin on her lips, and Ulrik raised a brow, listening objectively to her question. "At one point, a weapon. Now, scrap metal." Not a hint of remorse or nostalgia laced his words, only cold, hard fact.

Ulrik's keen gaze studied her face as if reading a text on quantum mechanics - with detail. She seemed surprised, then concerned. Why? He narrowed his gaze slightly as if thinning his focus would allow him to peer deeper into her soul. From the magnitude of her emotional response, her verbal one barely scratched the surface of his curiosity. "I noticed as much from the mark on your shoulder," he explained, inadvertently telling her how he knew about her relations with the God of the Earth. Why was she so nervous? Suddenly her hooves seemed to want to run out of the cave on their own accord.

The tiara upon her brow was oddly innocent, a stark contrast to the knowledge and secrets hidden behind her emerald gaze. Then, she shook her mane and the strong scent of flowers moved through his nostrils like a narcotic. "My power is the child of the Goddess of the Moon's darkness and the God of the Earth's organic focus. I understand the importance the God of the Earth plays in our lives." He supposed the God of the Sun was important as well, but nothing that needed the sun could not be synthesized - or so he thought.

Perhaps the greatest redeeming quality he possessed (in her eyes perhaps), was that Ulrik, though intelligent and dark, was brutally honest and held no secrets. He was not a creature to scheme, entrap or manipulate. The bronzed stallion much preferred to gather an army of machines to back his brute force; his words were much the same - plain, generalized and harshly honest.

Flowers, the gentle scent of flowers drew him in, and his cloven hooves stepped closer. The realization of his superior stature hit him once more, and he mused that, should the fancy strike him, he could most likely crush her (though he did not doubt her speed or willpower). "You are hiding something," he commented flatly. "I do not pry. If you want to speak, speak. If not, my ears are open at a later date." Nervousness was a telltale sign of a lie; he had learned to read them all well, as his family were chronic liars. The lie did not bother him, nor the hiding. What bothered him was the need to lie itself, the fact that others would take advantage of such information dishonorably.

"Your commitment to the Earth God is commendable. I do not understand it, but it is commendable."

Outcast
Whit
He was a surprising stallion, this Ulrik. I could see the honesty rolling from his tongue, he spoke without care nor affection for the creation which had been crafted by his very magic, and I couldn’t help but be a little surprised by it. It made me curious as to if he was capable of any sentient emotions at all, if he could even grow to love another, to cherish and want to hold them near all the time? Or did he treat everyone about him as he treated these machines, as nothing but tools in a greater scheme? I could tell easily that his opinion of those without horns was low, he wouldn’t hesitate in disposing of them like he would this ‘scrap metal’ of a machine. But I was curious to know whether he thought of his own species in the same regard, even if just to a lesser extent.

However the conversation shifted and I was uneasily awaiting judgement to fall from his lips on my choice of Gods to follow. It was a strange reaction for me, to consider the opinion of a male so important, and yet here I was, clinging to his every word, seeking approval I didn’t know I needed. He spoke, and his words were not scornful or hating, but accepting and factual. Though he did not embrace my beliefs, he did not judge me harshly for having them, rather, he commended me for them. I raised a brow, marvelling at the cool, collected manner in which this steed was able to conduct himself. It was then that I decided I liked him, everything from his critical stare, his handsome stature and the dry honesty that spouted from his maw. Yes, he would have certainly made a fine choice had he arrived at my former homeland.

The step that brought our forms closer was not lost on me, and my own cloven hooves shuffled my lithe form closer still; I did not fear him, despite the largeness and strength of him, I held a (possibly false) sense that he would not harm me. Perhaps I was relying upon the effects of my magic too much, but he did not seem to be one who would fight without good cause. My opinion against the hornless ones shifted a few more steps towards agreeing with his thoughts more completely, despite having never crossed the path of a winged or hornless equine, I decided that I never wanted to, and that our home should be eradicated of them. Unwittingly, I was putting more trust into this engineer than I ever could muster for our King.

He asked, or rather, made obvious the fact that I was hiding something. Something dark, bloodthirsty and related directly to the matters of the Gods of which we were speaking. But my past was behind me now, now I looked upon this stallion like I might a leader, I trusted him to steer me in the correct direction. I spoke, my voice earnest and open, unwilling to hide from him anymore. “The Earth God that my herd followed yearned for sacrifice – Gods cannot bleed, I am sure you know, Ulrik. It was by our design that we satisfied his need for blood.” While I didn’t go into details – they were irrelevant now, anyway – there was a sparkling behind my eyes, as within my perfectly sculptured tiara a path unfolded before me, and I could not wait to walk it.

“The Earth God will have his sacrifice, and it will be the blood of the hornless that I deliver.” I may not have looked like a warrior. But I had other powers, powers that this stallion was experiencing, whether he knew it or not. A passion had just caught alight within me, a tenacity that would be impossible to extinguish. My voice had delivered the words in a hushed way, wanting only his ears to capture them, wanting to know his judgement and opinion – unknowingly, I yearned for his approval and attention. Upon my back, Dirk let loose a small mew, the poor child was confused by the torrent of emotions rolling through me, the hair upon his back was half-way between standing and laying flat – he too would be a part of this.

They would fall. And we would rise.

The scent got stronger when she stepped closer, and Ulrik shook his head to try and keep the flowers from his nostrils. Whatever it was calmed his brain. For the first time in his life he experienced quiet in his head, and he furrowed his dark brows. How strange. All of the theories, equations and universal laws broke down and crashed from his consciousness, and he felt normal. Or rather, what he thought to be normal.

She spoke truthfully then, and he was surprised. So, she too was a killer? One who reveled in spilling the life from another, watching it drain. Ulrik grinned. Under the influence of her scent, he found that his tongue was looser than normal and his expressions easier to conjure. "You know..." he trailed deeply. "You do not have to stop bleeding others to make sacrifices. You can simply... change kinds," he offered.

When she was so eager to kill the hornless, he was surprised. Did he hold as much of an influence over her as she did over him? His expression was pleased, and Ulrik laughed, deeply. "Wise," he commented. A small noise from the useless, furry thing on her back broke his gaze, and he narrowed his bronze eyes at it.

The spell, for the moment, was broken. "I must built..." he said. Ulrik turned and with a violent stomp of his hoof, destroyed the metal cat. It whirred its final, mechanical breath, and laid down, dead. A mad, wild gleam coated his bronze eyes, and he turned his face down to the metal. "I will need more metal." he commented absently.

"Perhaps you and your... fluffy thing would care to join me?" he asked, walking past her, brushing hip to hip. He looked over his shoulder at her, smirking darkly. "Come... help us build."

Outcast
Whit
His presence was intoxicating, his words even more so, and I could not help but want to feel him nearer. Perhaps I was as drunk on his masculine stench as he was on my magic, maybe my magic did not exist at all, maybe it was simply the allure of kindred souls. I had to remind myself that he was a stallion, and that had I allowed myself to get swept away by my hormones in my former abode, this steed would be the one who would be slain after our passionate time together. Then I would birth his foal, and draw in the next stallion worthy of continuing my bloodlines. But I was not there, I was here, in Helovia, and now my heart was set upon staining the earth with the blood of those whom did not hold proud horns upon their crowns. It was a decision that pleased my bloodthirsty heart – for I truly did possess a bloodthirsty heart, now that I had a target to set it upon.

The abrupt destruction of the metal feline surprised me, and suddenly I became aware of how close our bodies had become, of the warmth that had been generated by our shared breaths and the proximity of our bodies. He commented about needing more of the substance that the cat was made of, and I became saddened for a moment – it was only my magic then, that had softened his opinion of me, only my magic which held his attention. But oh, how I enjoyed it. He touched me then, his muscular hip brushing my own, he invited me with him – I had to wonder, was my magic addictive to him? Maybe that was why the tradition of slaying our lovers came about, maybe the magic that some of possessed was a danger not only to those being drawn in, but those wielding the attracting substance. I was curious, but only for a moment, son enough I was distracted by his invitation.

Lithe bodice turned with ease upon one heel, I pressed myself against his masculine frame, my nostrils greedily drinking the mechanical scent of him, I was drawn to the earthly aspects of him, that I would gladly admit. There was a maternal yearning within me, and I longed to be back home, and for him to be the one walking into our Amazonian abode, for him to fall for my spell. But then, I longed for nothing more – I did not wish to kill him, nor any stallion, at least that of the horned variety, not any more. Dirk rumbled a little bit at the closeness to the great brute who looked at him so belittlingly, I sent him waves of my own satiated emotions to soothe him, and soon he was purring again, soon I discovered he too found a calmness from this Ulrik.

“I would be glad to help you build,” I spoke sweetly, my sultry voice far more suggestive and husky than I originally intended. The time was approaching when I would be ripe, and I wanted to know if he would be present – like some pathetic mare I was now clutching to the affections of a stallion I barely knew – at the same time, I did not care, I wanted him. And so wherever he wandered, I would follow, blindly, without question.