the Rift

[OPEN] Take a Donation [Crafter Needed]

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

Everything wears heavy on the stallion now. Even the weight of things left behind are just burdens. He is commanded to steal, and so he obeys. But he has no need for things; all he has ever wanted is gone. Those things, those real, breathing, important things, are dead.

And though his son still breathes, Knox does not know if in Milo he has what he needs--what he wanted. Manhattan has begged him, in dreams and on her deathbed, to care for the boy. But what is there to care for but a mute thing, a lost thing? Milo's silence is intolerable, just one more moment after another in which the dark hunter must hear his own thoughts echoing, growing louder, growing louder.

Though it has been some time, the hunter surrenders his body to another form. The ancestors are softer now with their bridle gone, but their presence still lingers, still bothers. Cloaked in ancient white, very much an old wizard with whiskers dripping from his nose. His old eyes are turned blind with magic, his appearance dulled to the innocence of an old man. If nothing else he will not be suspected; if nothing else, this gift can be made beneath the shroud of anonymity.

Not knowing the names of the herd's crafters, the smoky-eyed shapeshifter merely circles old herd crafts and waits, hoping for someone to find him at the site. At his brother's command he steals. At his brother's command he appeals to others. Eventually, this craft will be given to another.

Let him have as little a part in it as possible.

Knox
ave mortuite salutat
</style>
Credit

This thread is for a herd mason, @Brisa I believe you are the only one? Any may join. Knox intends to request that the black fang he stole from Soren have a handle crafted for it so it can be made into a dagger. I have permission from @Archibald to use a small herd slot for this item.

Knox is in the form of Cem, and should not be recognized as Knox by anyone. He might be recognized as someone else if your character has seen Cem before, but they should not make the connection.

Brisa Posts: 386
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 15.4 :: 7 HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Hikari :: Common Kitsune :: Fire nickel

Watching with mere wonder and fascination as Hikari fumbles around awkwardly in the long grasses the white mare stands guard over the little toddler. Merely only days old the tiny ball of fuzz was already becoming a handful and wanting each day to venture farther and farther from what they called home. Being the lonesome worrier that she was their adventures had been brief and relatively short to minimize the chances of danger to the newborn kit. Hikari was one of the few thing keeping her sanity for the rest of her life was currently a mess in the making. It was always one thing or another that went wrong and this time it was the glue that had been holding so much of her together that had decided to fail. The docile, sweet man that she had loved was barely a figment of her imagination now but keeping true to her promise she could not let the hope wane.

Promising such a thing had been a reckless thing to do but at the time it had been what her heart had felt was the right thing to do. Even with her current heartbreaking doubts she would hold on to the memories of her soul returning to her once more. Still it was had to believe that anyone could do something so stupid as to give up their memories to make them something they are not. Closing her eyes against the tears the silver mare did her best to bid away the sadness that would always be just skin deep.

Gathering up her beloved companion after a couple minutes of recomposing herself, they turned to head inland back to the safety of the cave. Spotting a figure in the distance the mare drew to a halt, her blue eyes shifting over the stallion warily. Was this someone she had never met before or was this an intruder that had slipped through the borders? Nerves flared uneasily as the figure got closer making her uncomfortable. Should she say something? Her immediate response was to call for Kaj but she choked on the name as it came into her throat prolonging the silence further. Guess this was up to her now... she was a ranking official after all. Clearing her throat she called out to the stranger.
"Who are you? Can I help you with something?"

Brisa talks

•• TAGS: @Knox •• NOTES: Sorry for the delay ••

Table by Moonstone Designs
Picture Credits: Here
[Image: brisa_by_moonstone_designs-d9dlobm.png]
-- Please Tag Me In Posts --
-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --
Icon base: Bronzehalo

Jen

The mare that comes (somehow, perhaps out of sheer luck) is either unknown or unrecognized. At the sight of her the stolen trinket drops from his grip, landing softly and bringing with it a small trail of spittle. Knox does not take the time to search his memories for a trace of this mare, for fear that thinking to the past at all will do nothing but hurt. It is true, after all, that nowadays there are few happy memories not tainted by the present, the loss, the death of his only friend.

Even thoughts of Aylin are mired in the fear of abandonment, perhaps the rage at her for leaving him (as a father, no less) with no more love in his life than he had before. He had counted on her, prayed to her in his own way that their child would mean love. Knox had hoped beyond all hope that Milo would bring peace to this earth and his torn apart life.

But hopes are so rarely realities. Desires such as undying affection become unattainable before they are even spoken.

The mare's question, one seeking his identity, feels pointless to the hunter but something within him reminds him that to many, such queries are commonplace. Still, he will not deign to answer it either in the shape of a truth or a lie. Her second wondering he can speak to, her first will die in the wind.

"I've been sent by the Dauntless, I'm meant to request that a weapon be made of this fang," the dark one cloaked in white says without kindness, without wheedling or further remarks. He stands tall before her, unmoving as if carved in marble, and the weight of an old body well cared for does little to affect him. He only has a request, or perhaps it should be said that his brother does. "So if you happen to be the herd's mason, then yes, you might be able to help."

Knox
ave mortuite salutat
</style>
Credit

@Brisa

Watching the lumbering giant from where she had stopped the pale girl awaited her answers. When they came the stranger seemed to choose to elude the whole identity one choosing to answer the second only. After all who could possibly want to know who was trespassing and who was actually a part of their ever growing extended family.

Holding her ground without wavering at the creepy stillness of the stallion it took a minute to register who the Dauntless was. Hikari lifted her head to see what all the commotion was but thankfully stayed relatively quiet a top her head where she had burrowed herself into the thick tresses of her mane. Finally as Archibald fit into the question at hand the silver mare was able to refocus on the next part of the strangers odd request. Why had he sent this stranger to seek a mason without the knowledge of who he was looking for? While she had never actually talked to the Dauntless in any long conversation she had gather from others and from meetings that he was a force to be reckoned with. It would probably be a good idea for her to accept the request without too much of a hassle she reckoned despite other thoughts running through her mind.

As her icy optics fall to the fang laying in front of the stranger she wonders where this tooth had come from. "I am the Fall's Mason so you just happen to be in luck. I can help you but first you will have to clarify on how you wish the fang to be turned into a weapon." She replied evenly returning the rather stone like expressions of her latest customer.

Brisa talks

•• TAGS: @Knox •• NOTES: Sorry forgot to ask, did you want to be tagged in posts? ••

-- Use of magic, touching , force allowed with the exception of maiming or death. --

Jen

Good, so this is all business. The white deathmask snortS near silently, considering her straightforward reply. It is a fair question, one that the hunter doesn't have enough knowledge to answer on his own. Lazily he searches through ancient memories, minds belonging to ancestors and more, but there is nothing to be found but war and theft. In the entire history of his family's being, not one has lent their lives to the modest art of craftmaking.

But Zsoka, at least, has a child's creativity. And Knox has an understanding, though rudimentary, of the material at the Falls' disposal. They have stone, don't they? Enough to build huts and prisons, though perhaps not so utilized as that. He turns his head, examining the fang without much care, before looking back to the silver mare. He is thankful she did not press on the matter of his identity. She's smart.

"I'll admit a lack of depth of understanding to your power, but perhaps a handle could be forged? Thus the fang could serve as a blade, and a mighty one at that," the hunter suggests with an elderly sort of shrug. What the actual thing looks like doesn't much matter to him--whether it's comfortable to hold isn't much of a concern. He's not exactly a fighter, and he doesn't see himself making use of something as unnatural and awkward as a dagger anytime soon.

But who knows, things change. Knox has no knowledge of his future, only too much of the past.

Knox
ave mortuite salutat
</style>
Credit

I prefer skype messages to tags, just to keep my inbox clean. What about you?

@Brisa

When the idea of turning something so strange into a weapon first came across she had tried to imagine just how to accomplish such a task. It was either her mind had become so distracted with all the drama going on in her life or she was seriously lacking creativity at the moment. Assuming it had everything to do with the whole Kaj situation she could come up with him having been inspiration for most of the crafting projects she had taken on. The necklace, the healers hut, this would be one of her first projects that she would have to pull entirely from within herself. What if she couldn't do it?

Calming her anxiety as it shot up rather impressively at the thought of failing she tried to reassure herself that she was able to do this with or without Kaj. It was her that had the power, well the earth's power to create objects from stone. Just focus, she told herself silently hoping that her silence was not being taken as a refusal to do as she was asked. When the masculine words finally broke the silence much to her relief with the basic idea of what would be a good fit for this fang. Nodding quietly as her eyes glanced around to see what all she had to work with to create a handle that would not break apart when ever someone attempted to use it. Something soft and pliable would not work so it would have to be something sturdy but what?

"Yes, a handle would likely be the best choice." She agreed with a simple nod. "I could also file down the opposite side to make it more like a razor if you wish." Now that she had a better idea on what the strange stallion wanted her confidence was slowly coming back to her. She could do this! Advancing a couple steps forward to get a better look at the fang she estimated the size of the handle that would be needed. Reaching out with her magic she was able to grasp the fang and get the first feel for what it would need. Vines sprouted from the ground before her to help her in her tasks but she paused to make sure that her idea was going to be alright with the stranger before she really threw everything she had into it and got too carried away. "May I go ahead with things?" She asked politely.

Brisa talks

•• TAGS: Knox •• NOTES: Please tag me normally :) ••

Jen

The hunter's impatience begins to appear. First it is a faint flickering, a disturbance of Cem's eerie stillness. Then comes a snort, a soft and unnerving sound as it comes from such old nostrils. His teeth grind, his hooves shuffle along the earth. Somehow, the mare is still talking.

Her magic is all that is of interest to the ancient being, and he watches with narrowed eyes as it begins its work. She speaks of filing the blade and he nods--asks if she may begin and he answers quietly, vaguely, with a "fine, fine, all very well." This is not of importance to Knox--nothing is, anymore.

As the mare across from him begins, her vines moving to the fang from where it rests, Knox finds his mind wandering. His brother has commanded him well enough to take the fang in the first place, to make of it a more useful weapon, but what to do next? Yes, he could be rid of it, make a gift of it, but would it be of any use to himself? Maybe temporarily, at least, the hunter could hold onto the thing...

His eyes snap more fully open and he looks back at the mare, waiting to see how her work will take place. Knox knows nothing of this process, but despite his impatience he will do his best to learn. Isn't it his role to observe and gather intelligence, after all? Who knows when such skills as these could benefit him later.

Doubtful, but who knows.

Knox
ave mortuite salutat
</style>
Credit

@Brisa (I have no clue how crafting stuff works but I think you need to do it since you made it, so can you post it in records when it's all done? It'll stay with Knox for now but just be made into an offensive dagger (handled as you wish, maybe with a vine wrap for comfort/grip?) with a filed wolf god fang as the blade using the seasonal slot I think. Thanks <3)

With permission to start the pale mare nods her head before getting to work. Around her vines erupt from the ground to help gather materials and everything else along the way. Focusing on each part was of utmost importance so that she could managed to get things just right. The curve of the filed edge of the fang, the slight curvature of the handle itself, each such small details that in turn made up the finished piece. Inhaling a steadying breath to focus her mind her senses took in the powerful scents of the earth as they enveloped her in her in a cocoon of warmth and aromas. The moist scent of the dirt beneath their feet, the smell of the evergreens, the fresh clean smell of the raging falls, it was all too much to put into words the way it made her feel. Icy eyes fall to the work of her magic as she concentrates on filing down the front side of the tooth so that it has more of a razor like edge. Sweat begins to bead upon her brow as the work progresses into the creation of the handle. Pausing to wipe away the perspiration the earthy mists begin to create the stony handle inch by inch until at last the finished piece falls to the earth before the alabaster mare.

Sighing a breath of relief as her eyes sweep tediously over the newly created dagger the last of the earth magic fades away until another day. With what she could see there was nothing wrong with this creation and it was pretty damn good for being a first attempt on her part. So far she had only built simple things like buildings and jewelry, a weapon was definitely something new she could add to her ever growing list of accomplishments. The handle was made of a thin layer of stone across the top of the fang. To make it kinder on the mouth she had chosen to weave layers of thick vine around the stone so that it was much softer and more forgiving on the teeth. Gripping onto stone could easily chip a tooth if you were not too careful hence why the vine was a much needed necessity. While it wasn't as pretty as the glass necklace it was certainly a masterpiece none the less.

Letting it sit where it lay at her feet she finally draws her attention back to the large stallion before her. "You now have a custom dagger. I hope it is to your liking?" She asked taking a step back to allow the stud to examine the piece for himself should he wish.

Brisa talks

•• TAGS: Knox •• NOTES: Let me know if there is anything you want changed about it before I add it to your inventory <3 ••

Jen

{Zsoka:} Is she done yet? I want to play with it.

Knox snaps his head back as she works, as if looking for the voice. But what a foolish thing to do, what an idiotic reflex.

{Cem:} Have you forgotten we're a part of you, boy?

He turns back slowly, trying his best to act casual, as if he were merely paying attention to a snapping in the wood. If Manhattan were here, she could have covered it up for him well by barking at something out there in the shadows. Only she isn't.

He blinks slowly in his ancestor's strong but ancient body, watching the process with narrowed eyes. The stone forms like clay before her, the vines wrap like rain. Where did she get such skill? Could she have earned it with time or is it simply a gift of her rank?

Why doesn't he have anything like that?

{Roanne:} Yuh have uthur talunts, sun.

But... Why don't I have anything like that? Anything that heals or creates, anything that truly, honestly helps?

Can he or anyone else say that he did? So maybe this dagger is to be a gift, but even then he won't give it easily. Even then, he can't just be kind with it.

Before anyone in his haunted head could answer, the mare's voice breaks through his thoughts. Cem's expression flickers away from rare and distracted concern, and his voice rumbles in his throat like striking flint before he speaks.

"Very impressive," Knox lies through his ancestor's bitter teeth. It's not that it isn't but he hasn't taken the time to even look. His tail swishes dismissively.

"The Falls thanks you for your service," he adds with a rolling of his shoulders that reads as a shrug before pawing the earth between the mare and the dagger, scraping it along the ground carelessly and closer to his protection. "I trust that I can come to you for tasks like this again?"

After all, her discretion and apparent lack of curiousity is valuable to the stallion. She's useful and talented but doesn't ask questions—his favorite kind of company to keep.

Knox
ave mortuite salutat
</style>
Credit

Trying a new thing with defining speakers, think it will help everything. Thoughts? Also, obsessed with Brisa and how she makes Knox think, can we thread them again soon even though this one seems to be wrapping to a close, even if just for another craft and chat (hopefully more chat next time?)

@Brisa

Feeling pretty good about herself for her accomplishment it doesn't take long for the what if questions to return to her mind. What if she did this, or what if she did that differently would it have affected the outcome? What if the vine didn't work and wore away? Mentally she had to stop herself before her mild obsession got out of control and she found herself stealing away the dagger to make little changes here or there. Breathe. Calm thoughts, she had done everything alright. It had been what tall, dark and mysterious had asked for that's all that counted.

In all honesty what she wanted, or felt that she needed, was a couple words of praise to say how she did. With everything she did she was never able to look upon something and manage to tell herself with any amount of certainty that something she had done was good enough. It was always someone else having to tell her before she could believe it for herself. Thoughts of a certain palomino flashed through her mind but she quickly needed to banish them before tears came to her eyes. Those memories were too difficult to deal with at the moment so she would have to believe the words of a stranger for the time being. Sighing softly as she waited for her judgement she found herself fiddling with a small stone beneath her hoof rolling it back and forth.

When words came they were thoughtful and straight to the point, just like everything about the mysterious stallion. She wondered silently to herself just who he was and why she had never seen him around. He smelled of the Falls but no matter how long she studied him (without being a creeper) she could not place anything about him. "Yes, I can help you out with anything else that you might need." She replied politely with a respectable dip of her crown. The pale mare had to bite her tongue so as not to say anything about the rough treatment of her masterpiece being rolled around like a toy. How inconsiderate she thought before managing to shrug it off with telling herself that it was not her item any longer, it was the stranger's and he could clearly do as he wished with it. Not that she didn't want to beat him over the head with it at this point. Whoever he was she would assume that eventually she would see him again and hopefully be able to get some actual answers out of him next time around.

Brisa talks

•• TAGS: Knox •• NOTES: Yes we should definitely thread some more! Brisa is so easy for me to write and I like threading you you and your characters. I like the new way of the conversations you are using its much easier to read and comprehend. ••

Jen

What is it in the air that always makes him so impatient? Cem's ancient body begins to move before Knox can command him to stay. It is only with sudden insistence, a grabbing of the reins, that Knox can regain himself.

He stops short, snakes his neck back to look at the mare with an eeriness that suggests a possession, an involuntary act. The old wrinkles on the neck of a white monster seem to be wide crevasses in a bleached cliffside.

"I..." an uncharacteristic pause, a flicker of hesitation that does not sit well with the commander's age, passes over his features. He feels, briefly, that he is young again.

Suddenly he feels the wind, smells the wood and water around him. It comes to him in delicate movements, stirrings of strings on the wind in a larger symphony of being. He thinks he hears Manhattan whisper his name, a love song sort of call in the forest:

{Manhattan:} I'm here

He doesn't realize it isn't her. He doesn't remember the nightmares of his childhood, the voices he thinks he has banished. Could it really be, could it really...?

No. Knox snaps back to reality and the world feels dark again--empty. He looks down at the earth. A minute ago he might have asked this mare's name, but suddenly he can't bring himself to care. He just needs to leave, to be rid of this day's tedium.

"Should you ever need the services of a thief or illusor, consider it a favor in return for this," he says by way of parting before bending down to grip the dagger in his teeth, turning, and walking into shadows once more.

Knox
ave mortuite salutat
</style>
Credit

@Brisa sorry I wanted this to go on longer but Knox did not. Another thread soon! Perhaps he will see her or Ciceron at the item contest :)