the Rift

Taking a break (Hototo)

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

Some places had an air about them that was quite different from others. He had come across several during his long years of travel, and none were similar to another. As Lace limped through the tall grasses of the Heart for the third time, he couldn't help but feel that this was one such place.

It didn't look much. A sea of grass stretching endlessly in all directions, wilted and dry now that winter was taking a firmer grasp on the land but close enough to the warmth of the glowing pit to stave off any snow. It could have been like any grassland, if it weren't for a sense of timelessness that prickled his mind, like the tall grasses prickled the skin under the belly and brushed across the gray winter coat. That, and the maw of fire that opened in the center of the region, glowing and radiating heat even from a distance.

The stallion followed in the wake of the white dragon as she soared across the sky, happy to let her guide him away from their new home and all it brought of people and company. It had been many years since he had been part of a group, and used to his own company as he was the stallion had quickly begun to feel restless, crowded. He had only lingered long enough to clean up after the battle and make sure that his leg wouldn't cave in on him before he was off, seeking solitude and finding it under a wintry sky littered with roving clouds.

Is there an end to the grass anytime soon? he questioned through the bond he shared with the slender lizard, not so much impatient as he was unsettled by the sea of grass that could hide anything from other horses to predators. He was just barely tall enough to see over the dry tip of the strands, and while able to walk again his leg was far from healed enough to allow any running or fighting.

An image of an endless horizon was sent back to his mind, broken only by a plume of smoke and ash that rose a good distance ahead of them. Lace sighed, realizing that it would take some time yet before they got there. Was he eager to get there? Well, the first time he ever set foot in the area he had been burned alive after intruding upon a meeting between the Helovian Gods, so maybe he wasn't exactly rushing to get there. The gilded strands of hair that covered the back and slipped down the sides had told him everything about the dangers of approaching strange beings without invitation - but, it couldn't be denied that the Heart was one of the warmer places in Helovia. And if it was something the grullo wanted right now it was warmth. Not mist, not snow or biting chill winds. Only a bit of heat to stroke the skin, enough to warm the soul and allow him to stay still for a while and think over the recent events. A lot had transpired that he hadn't planned on, and it felt like he was getting dragged into events without his consent, and worse still; without his knowledge.

A sigh escaped from between sooted lips and with eyes clouded in deep thoughts he moved forward while favoring the left leg, drawing a straight line toward the ashen pillar of promise that marked the center of the world.

Code generated by Tintedglass Layout Generator
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO</style>
 Let the meek have the kingdom of heaven; the strong shall rule on earth.</style>

The son of the Earth, that is what mother had called me. I was quite confused by her statement, for surely she is not the Earth. As far as I can tell, the earth is nothing but a mix of lands, tied together with interesting plants, waters, and even more interesting inhabitants. I think that she may have been talking about father, but I do not remember him much. The day of my birth is such a faint memory I can hardly say that I recall his face. Many the drumming of his voice in my ears is what I remember. Perhaps my father really is the earth, if his voice is an earthquake. Mother would not lie to me, after all.

However, I faintly begin to wonder what that makes me. Is this why I have funny extra appendages that mother does not have? Am I actually some combination of... what was it she called herself? Unicorn? Oh, yes. Unicorn. Am I actually some combination of unicorn and earth? Is this why I have grown wings and the horns of a ram instead of the elegant single horn that both mother and Ophelia wear on their pretty faces? I cannot speculate much further, for I do not know enough about how the earth works. Somehow, I think that I am entitled to some powers of the earth, though. Otherwise, I would look entirely too much like mother, which she and I both know is not the case.

I remember Ophelia talking about father and how he fixed mother's legs. This is evidence that he probably not the land, like the waves of tall grass I limp through now, but instead some sort of being. A being who speaks earthquakes, what a miraculous thing. It is almost as miraculous as the white dragon overhead, which I now turn my small horned face up to stare upon. Dragons were wonderful creatures, though I think Tinek is a bit obnoxious. Ophelia seems to adore him, but I think her judgment is quite clouded in certain things - especially about herself. I smile, thinking back to my aunt and her dual colored eyes. I very much miss our long talks.

She had told me mother had crooked legs as well, but mine seem to be healing by themselves, without the aid of my father. They had gotten straighter these past few months, and I am feeling quite pleased with myself. Truly, I was able to walk further without tiring, which my obvious detachment from my mother should tell you, dear reader, about this. Normally I was near mother or Ophelia, with few exceptions. Today, though, I had scrambled from her side and went adventuring in the tall grasses. I think, quite miserably, that I am lost, but cannot make myself turn back just yet. In front of me rises a pillar of smoke, and with hope in my bicolored eyes I lurch forward on skinny, unstable legs, my wings dragging behind me in the dirt for extra support.

It was around this time that I noticed him. The wavering of grass was my first clue, I guess, but it wasn't until we nearly cross paths that I managed to see the stallion. It must have been an awful noise that I made, for I shrieked as if a predator had jumped out of the grass at me instead of a stallion. Upon second glance, I note that he is walking with a limp, much like myself, and automatically feel much more at ease. I turn my small face to look at him, a shock running over that smudge blue wave of features, my ears purt and alert from behind tufts of silver mane that grew fuller each day. "H-hello," I stammer out, quite taken aback by this stranger in the grass.

Mother, adventuring is full of surprises, and I am not entirely sure that I like them.

Art by Krazie!</style>

Lace appear almost as surprised as the colt by the sudden encounter, but unlike the gray foal he recover quickly. Black tipped ears twitch atop the poll as he regard the little rover, curiously studying the combination of horns and wings that mark him as a hybrid. It is a good thing that the silver grulla never cared much for race except when it came to battle; anyone else might not have taken as well to the appearance of what some might consider an abomination, a tainting of blood and insult to their very race. Instead, the stallion simply smile in a friendly manner, quietly amused by the yelp that continue to echo across the plain even as the young colt gathers himself.

"Hello there" he greets back, shifting to escape the sharp tips of whithered grass that manages to poke through the thickness of the winter coat. "You surprised me, young man, by appearing like that. Good thing I'm not a rabbit, or I might have turned in from the startle." The boy seemed startled, so Lace kept the voice calm and steady in an attempt at soothing frazzled nerves. With a faint smile lingering on the lips he looked up, raising the head above the grass in order to look around for eventual companions. When none was found, a slightly puzzled look entered the gilded eyes, concern mixed with suspicion.

"Adventuring alone, are you?" he asked, hoping that the daredevil kid hadn't actually escaped from the side of his mother and gotten lost. It had a potential to turn bothersome, seeing as Lace wasn't very mobile at the moment and winter had entered a phase of unpredictability. Snowstorms could arrive without much notice, and a foal at the size of this one was unlikely to stand much of a chance.

The Store | The Warden

Hototo Posts: 96
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 17.2hh :: 3 years
Boom Boom!

HOTOTO</style>
 Let the meek have the kingdom of heaven; the strong shall rule on earth.</style>

The grullo staggers back stunned as well. I toss my head to the side, glancing at him from behind dark lashes with eyes of bloody earth. His own skittish reaction begins to quell my own, though the much older and more experienced male pulls himself together more quickly than I could hope to. His golden eyes are soft, despite their vibrant color. I find my breath to be impoverished as I reach for it after my stuttered word, which he returns happily. The smile is warming, and it pulls the air forward into my lungs and allows me to feel sturdy again.

For a moment, my head had been light and airy as though I would collapse where I stood.

Such frightening events came with surprises, but this one ended up coming to a fairly good start. This stallion seems kind, and that soothes the beating heart in my chest which gallops forth, as though it would continue straight up my throat and out into the world, leaving me behind. It slows its pace now, and I relax as his words continue to flow naturally gently. A shy smile on my lips even as my gaze darts toward the ground, my hoof pawing uncertainly at the earth. Unfortunately, before I can look up to respond to his casual banter, my jig is up; I have been caught, guilty.

I swing my head off toward the side, looking forward into a wall of tall grass, green and crimson eyes looking anywhere but toward the stallion who has caught me in my impromptu exploration of Helovia. "For today," my voice says meekly, face dropping back toward my hooves. "I'm sure mother will find me soon enough."

Art by Krazie!</style>

He felt like sighing. Why was it that all the escapee foals in Helovia had to come his way? Well, if by all you could count young Ahriman and this young man. Still, it was rather concerning that such young colts decided that it was alright to leave the side of their parents, especially in a season when it could start snowing at any moment. That, and you never knew what might be hiding in the tall grasses that surrounded the flaming maw that was the Heart. He could barely see above it himself, even with Fajira as a lookout from above it was risky to linger, and for a foal that barely reached the stallion to the chest it must be like swimming through a tangled sea of grass.

Strangely though, Lace didn't feel like scolding the foal. Just seeing the awkwardness as the boy tried to squirm himself out of blame made the grullo want to laugh. He'd never had much to do with foals, but weren't they rather charming at times? He did sigh, but only very lightly, before offering the young adventurer a slight grin.

"Well, better make the most of the time before she catches up then. How about I accompany you for a while? It wouldn't feel right to leave such a brave explorer without a comrade." It was as good a compromise as he could come up with. If the mother wasn't there, he'd just have to act as a substitute until the mare caught up with her son. He would be able to make sure the kid wouldn't fall into the Heart, get killed by predators or freeze to death in a snowstorm - the main concern of the season. Lace was mostly free anyway, and this might be as good a way to kill time as any. He just hoped that when the mother did show up, he wouldn't be suspected of something.. bad.

"My name is Lace, and the dragon back there is my bonded companion, Fajira. Who might you be?"

[Sorry for the wait and the shortness.]

The Store | The Warden