the Rift

[OPEN] I'm a leaf on the wind

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She comes to the forest only because it feels something like home. This forest is nothing like the one she knows, really. It is dark and deep; gashes striping across the pines, evidence of scuffles and worse in the cracked branches and tamped down earth beneath her feet. Possibly, she should be afraid. And to some extent, she is. But not in the way she should be.

She still doesn’t feel very at home in Helovia. She’s trying. Really, truly trying. But finding a place to live hasn’t proved to be the easiest task (not that she’d been turned away yet, but she hadn’t been fully embraced either). She shouldn’t expect to be welcomed in with open arms though. A stranger with nothing to offer yet, that’s all she is. Why would anyone clamber to call her a member of their herd?

So she does what she is best at, and takes to the sky. Trying to at least learn the areas in Helovia. Trying to make herself feel less lost, less out of place. If she can start to learn something about this place, perhaps she can start to prove her worth.

That is how she ends up in the Deep Forest. It is nothing like home, not really. Her forest was bright and area, more a mix of trees and clearings than this place. The sun only filters through in small beams here and there. In that light, she can see glimpses of beauty, of what a forest can be. But mostly, it is shadowed and quiet and eerie here.

But she’s not particularly afraid of what might find her. She’s only afraid that this place, that Helovia, won’t turn out to be a forever home. And she’s tired of running. So she keeps wandering through the forest instead, taking it in, even the gashes in the trees. She’ll learn what she can; she’ll try to fit in. And if she tries hard enough, perhaps it will pay off. Besides, the deep forest is a curious place. She can’t help but wonder what stories it holds, can’t help but miss being able to ask the wind to tell her stories.

Once, the wild was alive to her. It came to her when she asked, lifted her higher in the sky than her wings alone could ever carry her. But here, it is just the wind. And she misses its whisper almost as she misses her brother, her parents. And her sister, who hadn’t been seen in Helovia since they went separate ways in the Threshold. But she tries not to think about that. It’s easier to wonder what’s happened in this forest, easier to wonder about Helovia, than it is to dwell on her own past.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

"... Are you alright, miss?"

The question comes easily enough through dark lips, warm, honey-brown pools of concern mimicking an equally worried face. He had not expected to cross paths with anyone else, not here, not in the Deep Forest, but it appeared that he was quite wrong.

The Merciful had left the safe confines of the Falls, returning to the one place that had truly felt like home in all his years of living in Helovia. First, it had been the Forest, then the Foothills when he had reigned as Chief, then the Edge... And now the Falls, but his purpose there had seemed bleak and uncertain. His heart desired famliarity, warmth, and love, desired to return to the place where he could only feel peace. Black hooves stepped lightly over the roots, practice from his time with the Grey proving his steps cautious and sure-footed. The trees seem to lean towards him, shielding him, hiding him from the rest of the world, low-hanging branches caressing the overo's sides like the touch of a long-lost friend. He spoke to them, these trees, greeting them with reverant formality and utmost respect.

It had been during his walk, thoughts wandering and troubled with a silent Zola upon his back, that Apollo had encountered another hidden away in the trees. He had, briefly, considered leaving her be, not wishing to intrude upon a woman's privacy, but... Something about her looked just as troubled as he felt. The least he could do would be to stay, at least long enough to ensure she was alright. It was, after all, the gentlemanly thing to do, and Apollo was not one to simply abandon someone who needed any assistance.

"Are you hurt?" She did not appear to be hurt, but not all pains came in a physical sort. The monochromatic stag was quite aware of the pains of loss, heartbreak, and depression...

"My apologies for intruding, ma'am, I do not wish to appear rude. I am Apollo, and this kit upon my shoulders is Zola." At the sound of her name, the sleek, blind feline straightened up upon her bond-mate's withers, tilting her head curiously at the pegasus mare. Although Zola herself could not see due to having no eyes, she could see through the honey-brown orbs of Apollo's own oculars.

ooc: I hope you don't mind Apollo joining in? :D

When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am

@Lyanna

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She’s so lost in her thoughts she doesn’t hear him approaching. Startled, she takes a quick step back before realizing she’s perfectly safe and being foolish. Besides, she knows better. Her childhood included training in the arts of battle. She should be more aware, pay more attention. She does know how, though if asked, she’d admit that fighting was never her thing.

She shakes her head slightly, clearing her thoughts, finally focusing on the stallion before her. Way to go, Lyanna, she thinks, great first impression. She offers him a warm smile now. Practiced, yes, again from her childhood. But also genuine, because he seems kind and polite. “I am. I suppose this isn’t a place too many horses come to hang out, is it?” She asks, knowing she’s making it obvious she’s new here, but she doesn’t mind that admission.

She is new, after all. And her lack of knowledge will show at some point. So why bother to hide it? “I’ve always like forests. Even dark and spooky ones.” She laughs slightly  “I’m not so hurt as I am simply very new.” Certainly, she had her ghosts, but no more than most did. It didn’t do her any good to dwell on them, though. She tried not to, as much as possible. Though sometimes thoughts slipped in unbidden anyway.

“No intrusion,” she adds, that soft and easy smile on her face making it clear she means it.  “Lyanna,” she offers, looking to Apollo first and then the animal on his shoulders. She’d never seen a cat, truthfully. But she hasn’t seen a lot of what Helovia has to offer. “It’s a pleasure to meet you both.” 

ooc: not at all! lyanna needs friends :D

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Apollo

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

She is startled by his approach, this winged female, jerking back a step in her alarm, and Apollo immediately felt sheepish and guilty for sneaking up on her and giving her a fright. For a moment he looks her over, warm honey admiring every detail of the mare's ebony body, the curves of her wings and the attractive teal tips upon each feather, before his dark lips upturn in a warm smile and he dips his crystalline crowned head down before her.

She continues to speak in light tones, and his smile grows. Upon his back, Zola is pleased. It had been so very long since Apollo had smiled, a true smile, and the feline had worried for him amidst the darkest times of his depressive blight. Perhaps coming here, to the Deep Forest, to his home, truly had been helpful.

'I've always liked forests.' She comments, and her words warrant a hearty chuckle from the stallion's baritone girth as his attention is once more stolen from his own musings. 'Even dark and spooky ones.' She laughs, the sound like a delightful, tinkling bell in the Merciful's dark ears, and he cannot help but laugh in return.

"I can promise, good miss, that these forests are not so 'dark and spooky' once you get to know them. The trees here are actually quite nice. You must only listen. I have called these trees my brothers and sisters for many years." Turning his head, Apollo regarded the trees that loomed around them and over them with a fond, loving look. An ear flicked forward to fully regard the mare, a swish of a long, ebony tail, and the monochromatic stag once more directed both warm pools of honey-brown onto the mare who introduced herself as Lyanna.

"A pleasure to meet you then, young sister." He comments kindly, for they were all the same in blood and bone, all family. "I apologize for startling you." Formal, polite, and endearing. The words come naturally to him, an etiquette learned from his time as a delegate, as a Chief and a leader. It is a far cry from the stuttering mutters and uncertain suggestions that had spewed from his lips so many years ago upon his own arrival in Helovia. My, how the times had changed...

Zola speaks, a tiny, lisping purr in the back of his mind. 'She is pretty, Apollo. I like her wings. Tell her?' Apollo nodded once more, but to his feline companion, his precious bundle of earth.

"Zola admires your wings, Lyanna. She finds them beautiful." Allowing those words to sink in, Apollo waited for a few moments before speaking once more, his vocals warm and jovial. "Welcome to Helovia then. It is not so bad once you grow used to this world. If you have any questions, please, I will do what I can to assist you."

@Lyanna

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She should be the sheepish one, letting him sneak up on her like that. Letting herself be startled in a strange place, in a deep and dark (and if you ask her, lovely) woods. It’s far from safe. Sometimes she forgets that the wind is no longer hers to command. Lyanna never really worried for her safety before. Not when should could start a tornado, or send a gust of wind so powerful it could knock even the strongest of horses off their feet.

But she has to remember she can no longer do that. She has to remember to pay attention. No more wandering the woods like a protected princess. She was once, but no longer. No one followed her now to ensure her safety. No one cared if she lived or died anymore. Anyone who cared was dead or gone now. And while she’d made a few acquaintances in Helovia, hardly anyone that would actually notice if she disappeared.

Thankfully, the stallion that had found her was kind and gentle, and she could find no reason to be worried with him. Perhaps he was a terribly good actor, luring her to some false sense of security. But she doubted it. What would that gain him? They were alone in a shadowy forest. He didn’t need to lure her to any other place.

Besides, she doesn’t know if anyone can really fake a smile like that, can fake such kindness in their eyes, or the hearty laugh that rumbles like the earth. It is a sound that reminds her of her father and brother. A sound that makes her feel safe and at home with the memory of it, and she finds herself relaxing into the conversation even more.

He talks of the trees in a loving way, and she nods, understanding his meaning. She’d known the trees in her own forest that way, back in Morham. Perhaps one day the trees here would become home. She doesn’t know yet. Can’t know, really. But she keeps trying. Keeps hoping that the horses and the trees and everything in between will accept her. The mare with little to offer, but enough heart to try.

“No need to apologize. I should have been paying more attention.” Her words are easy, and not simply polite. But of course, she’d been lost in her thoughts. Something she’d been falling prey to just a bit too often lately. But of course, it was hard not to dwell on the past when she founds herself with so much free time at the moment. Hopefully that would change now though. Hopefully she could find some purpose in the Edge, and leave the past behind her.

Not that she’d ever forget her brother. But she knows that hid ghost can’t haunt her forever, either. He’d never want that for her.

Her smiles spreads at the mention of her wings. There’s just a touch of sorrow in her eyes, but mostly she is glad to have the color of them noticed. It is the one real piece of her family that she’s kept. The teal color of her wings and mane, and the small little ear cuff on her left ear. She spreads her wings from her side, stretching them until the tips brush the trees nearby, directing her attention to the cat with that warm smile. “Thank you. My whole family has the teal tips.”

It isn’t until after it’s out that she realizes she’s used the present tense. Present tense is only true in Adelene’s case, and her younger sister has disappeared after their arrival in Helovia. Had, Lyanna. she thinks, correcting herself. Though she doesn’t ruin the moment by correcting herself aloud. Instead, she folds her wings back to her side, turning her attention back to Apollo when she says, “Actually, if you wouldn’t mind showing me around the forest? I’d love to see this place the way you do.”

watch how i soar.

lyanna

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

There is an odd flash that crossed the mare's feminine face, a brief look of familiar pain, but it was gone before Apollo can comment. If there were deeper, darker thoughts that Lyanna was not comfortable sharing with him, then it would be terribly rude to pry or make her. They were, after all, practically strangers, and the Merciful was far too kind-hearted to pry into one's personal life. Lyanna then stretched her wings outwards away from her ebony bodice, the teal tips of her feathers brushing against the trunks of the trees surrounding them, and upon his spine, Zola is mesmerized.

A deep purr resonates from the feline's chest, a soothing sound to Apollo's ears, and upon hearing it, the overo chuckles once again.

'Thank you,' she says, 'My whole family has the teal tips.' A genetic trait, then? Interesting. It reminded him of Ktulu and the trait that her family carried; white or black tresses tipped with a rich crimson. Thought of the Constrictor threatened to dampen the Merciful's mood, and so immediately he cast his attention back on Lyanna, nodding thoughtfully. Now was not the time to ponder heartbreak.

At the dark mare's innocent inquiry, Apollo lifted his head, a curious gaze overtaking depths of honey-brown. Had he heard her correctly? Lyanna wished to learn more about this forest? To see it how he saw it? No one had ever truly cared to know such an intimate detail about him, to truly attempt to understand his love for these trees. Most had called him foolish, or a 'tree-hugger', whatever that meant... But the Merciful was a firm believer that everything in the world had a soul, from animals like them, to the trees, to even the stones or sand upon the beach of the Endless Blue.

"I... I would love to." He stuttered out, that warm, jovial, boyish smile once more overtaking his features, strands of a dark, ebonite forelock falling over his honeyed gaze, "These woods change all the time, but I would be honored to show you around to the best of my knowledge."

His heart felt light, as though something had been returned to him. Maybe, in Lyanna, he could find a dear friend, who understood? Since Midas' death, few would give Apollo the time of day... But maybe, just maybe, this teal-tipped mare would be willing to call him a friend?

Dipping his jeweled head downwards to avoid the low-hanging tree limbs, the cerulean beads within his mane clicking together, Apollo lifted his hooves, taking great care to not stumble or step upon any roots. It was just as much for his own safety as well as the safety of the trees around them. "Come, m'lady," the monochromatic stallion voiced graciously, beginning the trek past the ebony Pegasus and glancing back her way, motioning for her to follow with his muzzle, "There's much to see. I'll show you my favorite place... A pool of water beneath a wise old fir tree, with gems as red as fire." Hopefully Lyanna would like it. Hopefully she could appreciate it.

Hopefully she wouldn't think him a fool.

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She hasn’t really spoken about what happened. Her sister and her had a few moments to talk, late at night when they took time to rest. But mostly, they ran and slept and ran some more. There was so little time for thinking, talking, grieving. At this point, the tricolored mare thinks talking about it would be an unnecessary burden for the others forced to listen.

Though Apollo might not find it that way. He’s too kind, she thinks, to be any less than a gentleman if she suddenly broke down crying, gushing the story of the last few months of her life. But she doesn’t, because one, she is simply enjoying the idea of touring a new forest and getting to know this place. And two, she doesn’t want to ruin their conversation. It’s the first real interaction she’s had in Helovia.

Sure, everyone she’s met has been polite and accommodating and perfectly wonderful. But her encounters in the Threshold were recruiting based; her encounters in the Edge so far were simply to introduce her to the place. This is the most personal conversation she’s had in months. Maybe longer. She’s not even sure how long it's been anymore.

His stuttering response almost takes her off guard, though she’s doing better at hiding her emotions than she did when he first approached. She’s had plenty of training - being a princess requires it. Court is terribly dull and you can’t look bored after all. And when she’s not so lost in her thoughts, she’s actually pretty good at keeping herself composed.

But she does smile. Not a wide, giant grin, but one of those soft, truly happy smiles reserved for the better moments in life. His boyish grin is infectious, seeming as real as she knows her own smile to be. “Thank you,” she says, glad that her request wasn't strange and doesn’t seem to have put him out.

“In Morham,” she starts, following him as he nods her forward, “where I came from before here, that is.” She adds, a bit hastily, realizing no one here is likely to have ever heard of Morham. She’s traveled too far for the name of her home to be recognized. “I used to wander the forests there all the time. Not quite so dense and dark as this, but still, I’ve always had an affinity for trees.”

She laughs slightly, perhaps just a bit shyly, not entirely sure why she’s telling him all this and yet feeling like he deserves the information. She could never think someone else a fool for finding home and sanctuary in a forest. The trees were alive and attune to so much. If you know how to listen, there’s much they can teach. Though Lyanna is going to have to learn a new way of speaking to them without the aid of the wind to guide her now.

He mentions where they are going, and her teal eyes light up at the idea of it. “Oh, that sounds beautiful.” She steps lightly and easily, picking her feet up high enough to avoid the roots, and placing them back down with care. And though she knows to tread carefully, part of her is excited and anxious to see everything he can show her.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Their journey through the shadows and trees had barely begun before Lyanna was speaking, mentioning a land called 'Morham', which was where she apparently was from. Apollo offered the winged mare a cursory glance, a smile upturning dark lips to show that he was listening and was truly interested to know what she had to say. As she spoke, the horned stag found himself lost in the sound of her melodic vocals, listening intently, his mind trying to concoct images of this unheard of place.

Morham, hm? With trees and forests much like Helovia? He tried to imagine it being lighter, perhaps, maybe with a bit more sunlight, as Lyanna mentioned that it wasn't as dark as the Deep Forest, but he simply couldn't. Oh, he had been around many wooded areas during his lifetime, but few ranked as high on his list of favorite places as this forest. He wondered if the forests in Morham would compare...

There is a part inside of the overo's black breast that is flattered that Lyanna also has an affinity for trees. Perhaps that was why she hadn't mocked him for his obvious kinship towards the said trees around the?

"Your home sounds like a beautiful place, m'lady," Apollo murmured warmly, once more offering her a glance over his shoulders before he focused back on the path ahead, always cautious of where his hooves fell. Leading the fair-faced mare onward, he wove through the trees, keeping his pace slow and casual, as honestly, there was no point to rush. They had all the time in the world at the moment, and rushing could cause him to trip, and that would risk Zola tumbling from his spine.

The said feline had turned to recline facing towards the Merciful's rump, her socket-less eyes staring emptily at Lyanna as the winged Pegasus followed. Zola truly liked this female... She seemed honest and sincere, warm and welcoming, but also careful, as though something had hurt her terribly in the past. Who knew, maybe something did. Lyanna was a far better candidate to be Apollo's friend than others he had come across, that was for certain, and the black cat vowed to, somehow, let the beautiful Pegasus know her appreciation.

Finally, they arrived to the heart of the forest, and Apollo slowed to a halt. In front of them, stretching upwards in a proud display, was the old, ancient fir tree, branches spanning out above them. Cradled beneath its grace lay the crystal clear pond, blood-red stones glistening like rubies at the pond's cool depths, and slowly the Merciful stallion approached it, always cautious of water despite knowing that this particular aquatic depth would cause him no harm. Maybe one day he'd tell Lyanna of how he had crossed paths with a kraken at the Endless Blue... But that would be a tale for another time.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Apollo asked, his voice soft and whimsical, low with awe as he lifted his chin and gazed up at the wise fir with wonder in his honey-brown eyes, "Imagine the things that it has seen, the knowledge it holds. Once, many years ago, I visited this place in the middle of the night. When I came, a great specter of a stag manifested from this fir, and granted me the power to heal others. I've respected and loved this place ever since."

ooc: I just wanted to say that they make me very happy. <3

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

He turns his head back, smiling slightly as she talks about Morham. There’s something about that smile that reassures her, and she doesn’t feel like she’s just boring him. Instead, he seems to really listen as they walk, and she’s strangely glad to be talking about her home. Perhaps it should make her sad, but instead, she finds it cathartic in a way. Her past had happened, and she doesn’t want to pretend otherwise.

She just doesn’t entirely want to think of the family she lost. But the forests still make her smile, and she doesn’t mind the thought of the landscape so much. Not here, comforted in this new and different and yet lovely forest. Not with Apollo for company, telling her that Morham sounds like a beautiful place. “It is. Though so is Helovia, from what I’ve seen.”

She offers him a smile in return as he glances back again, before they both return their attention to the path ahead. She follows him more than the land, mimicking his footsteps. Though she glances down every few feet as well, orienting herself to any upturned roots or particularly large rocks. But she finds that watching him, and of course Zola, catches her attention.

The feline had turned around now, and Lyanna can see the cat better now than before. She hadn’t noticed, till now, that the feline had no eyes. Did she see through Apollo’s eyes then? After all, she knew about Lyanna’s wings. So she must see somehow. Though Lyanna isn’t entirely sure how. Morham didn’t have companions really. And yet she’d already seem quite a few in Helovia.

Apollo slows, and Lyanna’s thoughts drift from Zola to the landscape.  Her eyes drift up first, examining the massive fir that stands before them, branches large and protective above them. Her eyes drift back down the trunk, focusing on the pond and the shimmer red rocks sitting beneath the water. They look like gems, glimmering in the bits of sun that filter through the trees. She takes a step forward, lowering her nose toward the pond to get a better view of the rocks beneath.

She pulls her head back up, turning to face Apollo as he speaks. Her smile is small, but happy, her eyes dancing betraying her joy even more than her smile. “It’s amazing,” she says, meaning it. There’d be nothing quite like this in Morham. At least, nothing that other horses hadn’t purposefully created. There’d been plenty of splendor in the heart of the kingdom. But it had been created by years of royalty and though magical means, in order to impress visitors and show off the strength of the kingdom.

But this seems simply like a work of nature. More beautiful by far than anything the builders in Morham had come up with. “A specter of a stag?” She asks, curious about the nature of magic in Helovia and by no means questioning his story. “Do thinks like that happen often here? Or were you singled out? I can see why the Gods would grant you the power to heal. No one seems more deserving of that.”

And she means it. Because he is kind and gentle, and she doesn’t doubt that these two attributes permeate to his very core. She could be wrong, of course, but she can find no hint otherwise in him.

ooc | they make me happy too!

watch how i soar.

lyanna

@Apollo

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Apollo hummed beneath his breath in soft affirmation. The jeweled healer's honey-brown eyes were soft with reminiscent memories as he thought back to that time, many years ago, waking amidst the middle of the night, summoned from sleep by a God-like voice... It had not been his first venture into the unknown, as he also recalled the time that he and Midas had ventured into the underworld land to save the life of the ill Jackelope, but he would not speak of that. No... The memories of his golden brother, of the late Gallant, were far too painful.

They would be raw, festering like an open, infected wound, for a long, long time. No healer would be able to relieve him of such loss...

Choking back a swallow, the Merciful turned his head away from the impressive fir tree and took a step back, hooves scraping amidst the dirt and foliage as he instead directed his warm gaze to Lyanna. Her words are kind and genuine, and the stallion felt himself grow flustered under her compliments.

"Thank you, m'lady, your words are incredibly kind," he murmured in response, briefly wondering if Lyanna was simply stating such things to be nice, but her expression lacked any tomfoolery and her jeweled eyes spoke volumes of sincerity that warmed the Merciful's tired heart, "Things like that aren't rare in Helovia, but they do not happen consistently enough for there to be a pattern. I believe that I was singled out by the Stag... His gift to me has been more valuable than I could've ever imagined. I have served Helovia as a Medic of the Earth God, as well as a Chief of the Earth God's land, and now, I am back to serving Father Earth as a healer within the Hidden Falls."

Not the Foothills... Never would the Hidden Falls be the rolling hills that he had once served as Chief. The Windtossed Foothills were a thing of the past; lost and buried beneath the thriving land of the Hidden Falls.

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude..." Here, Apollo chuckled, a warm, mirthful sound beneath his throat, "Do you call a land here home, miss Lyanna? The Throat, perhaps? Or the World's Edge?" Another familiar home, for he had lived upon the misty cliff-side for many seasons as well. He doubted she lived within the Basin, for the rumors of their crudeness towards outsiders and winged species far preceded them.

Standing here, beneath the ancient, wise old fir tree and above the crystal clear, sparkling depths of the pond, Apollo felt his heart lighten once more. He felt at east, at peace, warmed by Lyanna's presence. She seemed to be an old soul, like himself, and he wondered if this meeting would be the last time that they saw one another. Hopefully it wouldn't be.

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

He steps back, and the sound of his hooves against the dirt draws her gaze from the landscape back to him. His initial response is murmured, and she’s afraid for a moment she’s struck some nerve, or that her words came off too much like a trained princess rather than in the genuine way she had meant them.  But he continues, and she pushes her concerns aside, letting that little bit drop from both the conversation and her mind. Too late too take the words back, and no reason to worry herself about it now. The best she could do was move on. And besides, perhaps he meant nothing at all by the murmur. It’s entirely possible (and perhaps likely), that she’s overthinking the matter.

That’s been a trend with her lately. Overthinking. She understood life in Morham. Knew the customs and manners and expectations. And in truth, she had the distinct advantage of being royalty. She could have run around yelling, and at least half the population would have matched her simply because they had to. Here though she was nothing and no one (something, don’t get her wrong, that was extremely freeing), but it constantly left her wondering if she was doing everything all wrong.

Her teal eyes watch him with interest, ears pricked in his direction, as he talks of his history as a healer for the Earth God. There are questions that roll around in her mind, wondering how long he’s been here, what places he’s lived if he’s now back in the Hidden Falls. But she doesn’t want to pry either, knowing that she’s likely to come off as rude if the questions start tumbling out of her mouth. His story is his alone, and she wanted to hear only what he wanted to share.

“You aren’t rude at all. I’m enjoying the story. So am I right in assuming that the members of the Hidden Falls all serve the Earth God?” She really is that new. Morham had no gods, and she’s only managed to pick up that Helovia has some. She knows that the members of the Throat serve the Sun God – she learned that from Narseen in the Threshold. And the Goddess of the Moon made an appearance in the Edge. But everything has come to her in piecemeal, and she doesn’t have the whole picture yet. Not even close.

“I’m living in World’s Edge. Elsa was kind enough to offer me a place to stay while I figure it all out, but everyone seems very kind there, and the land is beautiful.” She had been greeted by a forest there, after all, and she had taking a liking to that part instantly. Perhaps that did make her an old soul, often preferring the quiet of a forest to the company of others. Perhaps the overthrow and death of her family had aged her considerably. It’s been so long since she’s laughed, really.

This is perhaps the happiest she’s been in months. This is perhaps the lightest her heart has felt in even longer. It is certainly the first time she’s started to believe that Helovia might be home, and she could thank Apollo for that. If it were up to her, she would stay here forever, and simply live in this moment. But she knows that not possible, so instead, she can only hope that when this time does end, it won’t be the last meeting they have.

watch how i soar.

lyanna

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki

Her words were soothing to his ears.

'You aren't rude at all. I'm enjoying the story.' Warm, earnest, genuine... Her words were true, her tone letting him know that his inquiries weren't foolish or rude. Good. Wonderful. Lyanna seemed a gentle sort, a true sort, a kind-heart amidst the toying, untrue, or sly ways of many Helovians. Her next question is spoken with that same heartfelt curiosity, and Apollo's eyes shine with warmth as he speaks.

"Of a sort, yes," the Merciful answers after a moment, the deep baritone of his voice jovial and light, "We all work under Father Earth to keep his land safe, yes, but not everyone in our herd worships him. Do you understand? I follow Father Earth because I adore him and his pacifist teachings, and everything he has done, but others follow the God of the Sun, the God of the Spark, or Goddess of the Moon. It all depends on what is in their hearts." He hoped that his explanation was satisfactory, and that Lyanna understood them well enough. Simply because one lived within a certain herd did not always mean that they followed the teaching of that herd's respective divine.

It is then that Lyanna explained where she called home, and Apollo found himself pleased that she had been taken into the protective folds of the World's Edge. Ah, good. They would take care of her there, in the land of the swirling mists. She speaks of an 'Elsa', and the name triggers a pretty face in the overo's keen memory, and he nodded.

"I believe I know of Elsa," Apollo murmured in explanation, a smile upturning dark lips and honey-brown eyes filled with genuine pleasure, oculars locked on Lyanna's noble frame, "But I'm familiar with the World's Edge. I called it home as well, for some time many seasons ago. It is very beautiful there, and I believe you'll enjoy it."

Upon the stallion's ebonite rump, Zola continued to 'watch' Lyanna, ever so curious about the dark mare with the ivory mane and tail. The kit enjoyed her presence and the calm demeanor she seemed to invoke within Apollo, for it had been far too long since her bond-mate had been at peace within himself.

Lifting his hooves, the overo stag approached the glistening pool of water and lowered his head, indulging in a short drink to quench his parched throat. His eyes caught the glistening ruby-colored stones in the bottom of the pool, and furtively his gaze flicked back to the ivory-maned beauty, and feeling rather bold, the Merciful held his breath, stuck his striped face deeper within the depths of the chilly pool, and caught up a ruby stone within his teeth. Lifting his head, he shook the droplets from his muzzle, and with a wide smile, - that surely looked incredibly goofy given the fact that he clutched a crimson-colored stone within his teeth -, set the stone down in front of Lyanna.

Lifting his head, he smiled, his expression looking somewhat flustered and boyish, but when he spoke, his tone was warm, genuine, and excited.

"Here," the Merciful stated, nodding his head towards the small stone, "For you. A friendship present, maybe?"

'You're an idiot,' his subconscious berated, wondering why he'd do such a thing in the first place. They had just met, after all. Lyanna may even just enjoy his presence for awhile, like they all did, and then move on. It wouldn't be the first time. 'How will she even carry it?'

The thought didn't even matter. All Apollo was concerned with was just that he truly liked Lyanna, and he hoped that they could remain friends.

Kyra

i am a leaf on the wind

She appreciates his patience more than she can say. Her questions are probably obvious to anyone who’s lived in Helovia for a while, and even more so to someone like him. Yet he spends times on his answers, making sure she understands. It’s nice not to feel completely like a nuisance, to just feel like she’s in the way. She still hasn’t gotten used to feeling so useless and inadequate.

She nods as he asks, Do you understand? but doesn’t interrupt his explanation. Rather, she’s simply encouraging him to go on, letting him know she’s following his train of thought in the answer.  It does make sense. After all, she knows nothing of the Goddess of the Moon, and yet lives within the goddesses home.

“The gods are rather active here, it seems?” It’s something of a question, something of a statement. She feels reasonable confident that Helovia’s gods are ones that interact with the land’s horses. Maybe that was only the Moon Goddess, but the way he speaks of Father Earth makes her think otherwise. “I admit, I have always thought of gods as mythical beings that lived in the imagination and the sky. Until I came here, of course.”

He mentions Elsa, and admits that World’s Edge was one his home as well. She smiles a bit more, feeling almost relieved that he’s given the place some sort of stamp of approval. Not that she really doubted the kindness those in the Edge had shown her so far, but she had no reason not to trust Apollo and his guidance. “I’m glad to hear I fell into a good place.” She says with a bit of a playful grin and a slight laugh in her voice.

Apollo moves to take a drink, and then suddenly stuck his head in the water. Lyanna giggles, something of a school-girl giggle at the sight. Instantly, she feels ridiculous and childish and hopes he didn’t hear. But at the same time, it feels good to laugh like that; in the same way she might have done with her siblings before hell ripped her life apart.

He comes back up, water dripping from his face, a ruby clenched between his teeth. She can’t help but laugh again, a pleasant and pleased sort of laugh. He did look silly, but she appreciated the ruby that he drops at her feet. She picks up the ruby as his offer, clenching it between her own teeth as she twists her head back toward her wing. She tucks the ruby between her wing and her barrel, making sure it’s nestled tightly there until she can get back to the Edge and stash it somewhere safe.

“Guess I’ll need to find a chain next. I do miss my old jewelry.” She says, before becoming slightly more serious, teal eyes meeting his amber ones. “Thank you. I love it.”

watch how i soar.

lyanna

Please tag in all posts
Image by Kiki