the Rift

[OPEN] & the direwolves gather 'round the fire

Tangere Posts: 159
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: Six Years | Birdsong HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Phrixus :: White Raven :: None Psilo

Frostfall never really has an official beginning – at least not here in the ancient glacier path that makes the Basin what it is. It begins so slowly that most don't even see it coming, or their bodies and eyes just observe it as a permanent state. Birdsong and Tallsun hardly have a place here under the aurora borealis. They visit and then they go just as fleetingly as they came; leaving almost nothing behind to show they were even there, except the wads of fat pine-cones that gather on the firs just before the heavy snows. The white raven spends many an hour under the sinking or rising sun picking out the savory nuts hidden between the prickled fingers of the woody cones. It makes him always smell like a pine tree and the sticky goo that seeps out of their wounds. It almost the sure indication that Frostfall is upon Helovia, for Tangere anyways.

It's night, probably in the middle or more toward false dawn. It's a moonless tonight, and still, so very still. Phrixus is mounted on the gnarled apple tree, dormant and leafless, looking out from the stone terrace that juts from the mouth of her shallow cave. A gentle gust makes the broken bits and tiny random (not whole or useful) artifacts dangling from the cave's opening, they chime in the breeze as they softly clank against one another. It is a curtain she's fashioned from dead vines collected from the south and strung or tied anything that will tinkle and sweetly jingle when disturbed. Pieces of bone, broken chunks of metal, or a chipped bead or two, random feathers of songbirds or ravens she or Phrixus has scooped up in their travels. All things are wind battered and eventually get lost in the snow once they detach, or if light enough, just fly away. Luckily she and the bird return with new junk to hoard with every journey and so the bits that go away are soon replaced with other unwanted pieces of the world around them. The curtain is always changing, but the sound is always the same, radiating outward from her cave whenever the wind or a warm body rustles it. Her modest dwelling is just behind the hot-springs, nestled in the jagged peaks that hang over the steaming pools.

The breeze abruptly ceases and the chilly stillness returns.

“I smell fire.” The bird's voice reverberates inside her skull and her ears perk to the horizon. Me too. She answers him within themselves. The pale raven takes that for his queue and dives from his perch and into the frozen night with dead silence.

“They have lit a tree. A dead pine that reaches into the God's room.” She listens to the quietness after his voice leaves her head and she squints those bright eyes to the darkness ahead. The moon is not present tonight and so the glow from the fire, as it rises and rises, flickers for whats appears to be miles in all directions. It's isn't far form her, a mile or two, something she can cover in a short time. “There is no one here.” Images of what her companion is laying eyes on flash behind her gaze...it is a dry, deceased tree that seems to never end as it reaches ever upward – flames, bright and hungry, lick at its base and their quickly gaining height as they swallow more and more. She can hear the crackling and roaring breath of the fire, she can feel the heat on his feathers, on her skin, as he makes wide circles around the bonfire.

On my way.

She makes her way down the steep 'stair way' of wet stone, her toes grab it effortlessly like that of a goat. She makes quick time, reaching the pools in only a couple minutes and now she can flat out run toward the swelling glow. She'll be there in two shakes of a lambs tail, to join her companion, to join the fire.

And who else, she wonders, just might be there. And who, out of pure curiosity, set the fire in the first place?

non omnis moriar

Image Credit<3

To Sum it Up: There is a giant tree on fire in the Basin. Somewhat toward the middle. It's in the middle of the night and it's a new moon, so it's super dark. [stars are very bright, milky way and all, but i forgot that detail in the above post].

__

Feel free to build on this with an NPC or just your own character's reaction or what not. This literally just came to me last night...this whole scenario lol
I apologize if it's too much <33 I kinda went crazy with it XD

OPEN AS F.
;D

• You may use violence and magic against her at will, but no death.
  • Please tag me so I don't forget anyone(:

Albrecht Posts: 249
Aurora Basin Impersonator atk: 6 | def: 8.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 19 (Orangemoon) HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Strom :: Suma Ball Python :: None Townsen
He doesn’t care who made the fire. He doesn’t care why they made the fire. He only cares that it’s here, it’s warm, and it’s enormous. The great old pine kindling the fire is broader at its base than any tree he’s seen before – maybe even as large as the ancient redwoods said to line the far edges of coastal swamps. His knowledge of them is only through word of mouth so he can’t know for certain, but surely this titan of growth is comparable enough.

Sprawling flat out at the fires base, he lifts his head to gaze up at the far away peaks of orange and yellow, watching them lick greedily at the sky somewhere hundreds of feet overhead. Thick plumes of smoke billow away from these peaks to block out the night’s array of moon and stars, if any were bright enough to be seen this night in the first place. He knows there are patterns, but Albrecht has no reason to keep track of such things.

Resting his cheek against the solid support of the earth once more, he inhales and sighs deeply. Both ears flop lazily against his skull and his half lidded eyes lose focus. “Whoever you are, great fire-starter," Another inhale, another exhale, warmth floods into his lungs, permeating his flesh both inside and out. "You have my approval."

The outer bark of the tree begins to splinter, patches of damaged fibers breaking away and drifting on the breeze. One glowing brand is too heavy to float and falls down from the blaze, landing square in the stallion's flank. He squeals in pain and surprise, tail lashing across his side to remove the offender. "Well fuck you too tree. Better to burn to death than freeze to death."

OOC // Bloop.

@Tangere

[Image: 56c616e54affc]Rated M, R, NC-17, AO, 18+, NSFW
Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

She is on the other side of the roaring pile of fire where Albrecht naps, or has given up on walking or whatever it is he is doing. The warmth glows on the outside and on the inside of her. It lights the fine edges of her silvery fur the puffs out a few extra inches from her skin. Its length and density makes her appear even chubbier in the peak of the colder months – which makes her incredibly fat looking because she's quite the pudge-ball these days anyhow. No longer does she have the lithe frame she once did as a yearling. She has become bulkier...and her belly a bit rounder.

Her hazelnut eyes flutter open to the sound of Albrecht's voice. She peers around the bend of the crackling, behemoth. She grins with a mischievously satisfied glint in her flame reflecting eyes. She approaches his folded body with a bouncy air in her step, playfully laughing as she takes a place staring down at him from a few feet away. Her cropped tail tosses wildly at her hips while the flames dance and cackle behind her. She takes a quick look around for anyone else before addressing him. There is a an apparent giggle in her soft voice as she casts a playful look down at him. “Are you going to make it through the night, old man?” She resists the very real urge to knock him with her nose, or paw at him with her goat feet in attempts to initiate a chase. Sometimes she cannot suppress her inner child - lucky for him, she does indeed succeed this time.

The tree licks at the sky which is brightly lit with an array of flickering stars. It's a moonless night and the wind picks up in speed every hour or so. Right now it's still mild, but soon it will howl and maybe even bring snow. The night is frozen, approaching the negatives (fahrenheit) in temperature, everything cased in a layer of crystal frost.

non omnis moriar

Image Credit<3

@Albrecht

(still open too, if anyone wants to join in still)

He’s nosing his flank, gently checking the newly formed circle of singed hair and chapped skin while the painted mare approaches. He recognizes her warm, cinnamon scent even before she speaks, but he doesn’t look up at the sound of her dancing steps. He doesn’t acknowledge her at all until he’s satisfied that the embers damage is only surface deep and even then he makes no move to stand, but simply lounges onto his side with half lidded eyes. “I’m afraid it’s terminal.” He reports, his voice rough and tired. “I may have only hours left…” One green eye cuts slyly toward the mare’s jovial face, laughter dancing in its sharpened focus. “I don’t suppose you’re here to show a dying man one last good time before he meets his tragic end?”

With that the stallion’s mane-less head and neck finally rise, ears trained affably forward. He rolls onto his sternum, front legs tucked neatly beneath his forequarters, and shakes away a sprinkling of dirt and broken pine needles from his (barely) winter-thickened coat. His ribs and spine don’t seem so prominent from this perspective, with the bulk of his body curled together and propped up from below. All his angular corners and knobby connections seem to soften and blur together in the warm glow of the fire, his salt and pepper greys bronzed by its orange light. It’s a faint glimpse into the past, a hint of what he might have been all those years ago, but it is just a glimpse and as he drags himself to his feet it drains away like water over stone, leaving behind a bare truth made all the more jarring by the sudden and unexpected contrast.

Unaware, the stallion watches his company, a small grin steeped in his own expectations of the mares response already forming in the corners of his mouth.

@Tangere

Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

Eldala Posts: 64
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.0 hh :: 3yrs (Ages in Frostfall) HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Capro :: Girgentana Goat :: None Goatfairy

SMOKE wafts into a cave directly opposite the happenings near the pastor's cave. A nostril belonging to the body of the mare curled up in this cave twitches faintly, aroused by the pungent smell. Its not nearly so pleasant as the vague sugary smell constantly floating around her and thus the wayward nostril alerts her brain to rouse from its slumber. Eldala pries her eyes open, with great effort, to the dim outline of her cave's opening. /Wait, thats not right, there shouldn't be any light at all.../

Curious, the small mare scrambles up and moves towards her chamber's opening. It had been a long time since she'd seen a fire but that was certainly what her eyes were seeing: a massive fucking tree on fire. /What in the actual fuck is this?/  She had to hand it to Helovia and the Basin, really, because it was never boring here for long. With a shake of her mane and a yawn she's picking her way sleepily down towards the lake. There seem to already be horses there and, as they're acting unconcerned, she decides that a quick drink from the lake wouldn't do any harm. The chilly sweet liquid rolls down her parched throat while she wonders who might be there. Surely Ashamin would be up for this?

Instead, she finds the forms of her friend Tangere and a scraggly old man beginning to take shape. Well, Eldala thought of her as a friend at least. The tree was still burning magnificently, unconcerned by the small group that had gathered to witness its swan song. The event seemed so sad for a thing which, judging from its height, must be so very old. It must have survived war after war, fire after fire, and year after year....only to die silently in the night with naught but three odd creatures to honor its passing. Her head bobs slightly to the thing, a thank you for the warmth, just before she goes to greet the two living horses.

"Hello Tangere! Its been a while since I saw you last. How have you been?" Following the what she expected to be their brief greeting Eldala turned to the old man. "I think we met at the birth of Rexanna's foal. I'm Eldala. Is there anything you need?" Her eyes are concerned and honest. He was in their herd after all.

-Pixel by Niki-

△ All friendly/neutral contact is fine but no permanent injury/maiming/death △
△ Please tag me for everything you can, it helps me remember△

Her winged companion soars peacefully above them, making wide circles around the pillars of roaring flames. Heat radiates from the orb of licking light that hisses and snaps while it consumes the dead tree. Anyone within a 20 ft radius would surely be able to feel the placid warmth – and of course the heat intensifies as you get closer and closer. Enough to singe your fur, that's for certain. She is but a safe distance from it though, peering down at her ragged old friend with humor dancing in her flame-lit gaze, a smile across her pink lips. The fire fights nothing for the spotlight, for the moon is absent and the stars twinkle in the distant darkness. The aurora borealis sparkles loyally on the horizon but does not reach its ribbons above the flaming tower quite yet – so the bright beacon is alone to shine its flickering orange glow across whatever it can.

She laughs aloud as he flops over lazily and declares his fate to be nothing but dismal doom and death ahead. Her shortened tail tosses and she lets out a snort with laughter bubbling through it. “Ew but what if I were to catch it?” She pretends disgust and clicks her tongue, “No no Alby – no freebies even if it's terminal. Deepest sorries, honeylove.” Her face scrunches playfully and she gives him a coy look, ready to say something rather naughty and flirtatious when suddenly their alone-ness is interrupted by Eldala's arrival. At first Tangere is unaware of Albrecht coming to stand but soon notices that she can feel his presence more and looks over to find him on his feet. She smiles without purpose. Just a smile of random delightedness to just be looking at him... She catches herself and inwardly fumbles with her own awkward behavior. Her eyes meet Eldala cheerfully and a welcoming grin curls happily across her rosy lips. “Oh Eldala!” She responds with joy singing in her voice as the mare approaches. “I've been quite well, quite well. And you, love?” She watches as the two exchange looks. Do they know each other? She questions internally but has decided to let them sort it out...intros or hellos and how are yous. She is socially graceful enough to leave room for them to interact easily.

non omnis moriar

Image Credit<3

sorry i've taken forever <3

@Eldala @Albrecht

Ol’ Swagger-Ass denies his plea, but he can see the affection in her playful dramatics and takes no offense, a permeating sense of ‘don’t give up old timer,’ egging him on in the tone of her banter and the way that her presence always seems to lean or strain toward him when they meet – or maybe that’s just his presence if you know what I mean. “Wouldn’t be the worst thing you’d catch from me.” He teases, “But it might even be worth it.” He winks with a brazen confidence, making a show of smacking his lips together and sliding his tongue along the yellowing ridge of his teeth before a new voice turns his bearded head, black ears swiveling to catch the little mares greeting.

He does remember her, vaguely, from the birth of Rexanna’s latest child - the tan of her coat, the unusual protrusions of her horn, the oddly charming disarray of her mane and tail - but he’d stayed too far back in the throng of well-wishers that day to hear what she said to the golden Thief or to become more familiar than basic recognition. He does remember her giving the new mother a gift of what he assumed to be a medicinal bark though, and that combined with her immediate concern for his wellbeing (which seems genuine to him at least) makes her seem like a pleasant enough addition to the conversation.

“That depends on what you have to offer.” He rumbles, his expression remaining relaxed and humorous and more than a little suggestive. “Are you a healer?”

OOC // If he had fingers he'd be licking them right now. xD @Tangere @Eldala

Tag dat azz!  @Albrecht
Violence & Magic okay.
Wish - Away - OOC

“how long is forever?” asked alice.
“sometimes just one second.” said the white rabbit.

She just laughs cheerily at his lip smacking, the sliding of his tongue across his teeth. Tangere really does find him quite endearing. He's humorous, daring – provocative, she supposes. There is certainly something somewhat dangerous about the old fucker. She isn't sure what could possibly be threatening or even the least bit ominous about him, but for some reason the bearded stallion made her bode a little caution in the back of her mind.

Eldala says nothing, or seems to, long enough to make it slightly awkward. Tangere has little patience for strained social interactions. If it does not come smoothly then she avoids it if she can. Though Eldala is a recruit of hers they do not appear to have any special bond or even a close camaraderie.

Still the painted mare smiles before tilting her eyes listlessly to her bird as he circles the roaring flames. She decides instantly that it's time for her to depart and move off quietly into the night. She bumps Albrecht's shoulder for a goodbye and gives the other mare a polite nod before walking off into the snowy silence. Her whistle for Phrixus echoes eerily across the emptiness and the ghostly white raven dives from the sky to follow close behind his companion.

@Albrecht @Eldala