the Rift

[OPEN] the wallflowers

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
Elsa

She couldn’t avoid the Throat forever. Her mind kept wandering back to the two wonderful lovely ladies that she had been able to see alive. It was relieving, but also embarrassing to have to reveal her dark secret for all of them to see. The wound stung, and telling them that felt like she slapped them across their face. Granted, many things have changed since then, and the Edge was entirely composed of new bodies- but it was still the Edge.

The Edge that tore through the falls like a knife.

She cringed at the thought, shuffling backwards at her own resentment. Elsa couldn’t wallow in self-pity anymore- she had been tasked with protecting the Edge, and thinking such venomous thoughts was equally as painful. She was stuck walking across a tightrope she did not want to be on.

Edgar rubbed his head slowly against her poll, cooing once again to try and settle her. Elsa rolled her eyes, simply letting a small laugh flow from her lips to please him for the time being. Once he was thoroughly convinced she was okay, they began their journey towards the hot south. By now though, Gaucho shouldn’t be surprised that she just randomly makes visits. He never asked why- and she liked to keep it that way. It meant, in a weird backward way, he trusted her. And in turn, she didn’t have to reveal the darkness that lulled around inside.

Landing just outside of the Throat, she stopped to look out over the island. The massive bridge, along with everything else stood firm and strong. She’d never seen the Throat in a bad state, and that assumption seemed to remain true. Carefully she peered over the gap, too afraid to fly over, and awaited for a familiar figure. Ghost or Essetia could come- she just needed to make sure she apologized, and made her amends final.

@Essetia
This is for the tears and apologies and such. <33

"Morbi vestibulum mollis nibh a varius."
Idk manssss. ;-;
/ image
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds

The nights had grown dreadfully long with the coming of winter. There was no crevice in which she could hide to evade the violent chill of the changing seasons and no refuge in which she could find that would allow her the comforts she sought. Essetia and Romul had known that the desert would prove bothersome throughout the year and yet vowed to remain tethered to the sands for the rest of their days. It was newfound loyalty that drove the young mare to bound herself so willing to the treacherous confines of the Throat, but also a love for those she’d come to know since.

When the sun finally peered at her from the straight line of the horizon, the mare and her wolf stirred from their restless slumber. They were growing accustomed to the cold nights and were even more practiced when it came to crafting crude, scarcely acceptable, lodgings to shield them from the winds. However, it was not because of a lack of knowledge for the art, but rather their numerous disagreements as to how those makeshift hovels were erected. Essetia preferred the idea of a sizable shanty, one large enough to house the big mare and then some, while Romul preferred a small, den-like structure in hopes of further preserving what little warmth the two shared. Needless to say, the mare refused to agree to her companion’s terms and often paid dearly for the sacrifice…

Though still groggy from the night before, Essetia was easily raised with the shining of morning’s first light. She stretched and groaned, fighting the desire to trail mindlessly through the pastel dunes of her home in search of task. She’d grown bored and lazy, stirring uselessly about from north to south, east to west… to no avail. Yet, daily, Romul gave the mare reason to think and to strive even when she felt as though there was nothing to bend her eager will. On some days she sought prey for the wolf and on others she merely studied his technique. It seemed, to her, that understanding the hunt was significant for her trade and Essetia needed all the teaching she could get if she wished to return to her former graces.

However, on such a day that Romul was not in search of meal or drink, they both roamed aimlessly along the vast borders of the sand. So it was not unusual when they journeyed toward the bridge hoping to set eyes on something or someone unfamiliar to their dry tongues.

Like big cats they stalked the wide rift between the Dragon’s Throat and the lands beyond, only stopping to deliberate once, whereupon their step grew excited and sure. The wind carried familiar notes of friendship, a scent that was too well known to them and also welcomed to heart.

When at last the pair came to face the opposite shore, they called out to Elsa as she waited for greeting from afar. The key that Ampere had given them came into good use once more as both Romul and Essetia were spirited from one shore to the next, their eyes still wide from the feel of magic and the extension of limbs that were not theirs. “All hail the Queen!” Essetia jested when her hooves were again beneath her. Auriel had been the one to inform the spy of Elsa’s promotion and no such news had ever been so well received. She smiled wide at the white Pegasus, thinking that she looked entirely different now and yet somehow the same. “What do they call you now, oh royal one?

Essetia recalled their last meeting and knew that Elsa had left with a heavy heart, but the spy wanted nothing more than for bridges to be restored between them. The grief they’d both entertained for far too long needed remedy… it was time to forget the past. Without thought, Essetia moved forth with her lips extended toward the Queen’s shoulder. She wished to allow her a comfort of sorts, a reminder of their friendship. “Hello dear friend,” she whispered as she neared. “I’m so glad to see you well.”

essetia & romul
Image Credits | Background Image

@Elsa

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Elsa

It wasn’t long before Essetia bounded across the bridge in her unbridled glory. Elsa couldn’t help but smile a little as she so jubilantly showered her with congratulations. It was unnecessary considering she was in the presence of Essetia. In fact, she felt more ashamed of her title than ever. Although Essetia did not let on to if she was bothered or not- and even made an effort for a physical greeting.

Elsa did the same turning her nose to bump Essetia gently as she reach out to her shoulder. A sigh feel from her lips, and she bit her lower one, trying to think of a not awkward way to make her amends. The brief encounter they had in the Threshold only made her worry even more when she had made it home. There was some unresolved problem within Elsa, and she had a nagging feeling that Essetia was the first step to putting it to rest.

”A number of things, although I think I too prematurely dubbed myself the Icebound. Sounds kind of badass, makes up for my lack of it.” She jested lightly, a smile crawling onto her face. Edgar did his own greeting, raising his left wing and flailing it about in an attempt to say hello. He even gave a small little head tilt to the wolf companion that traveled with Essetia. It still amazed him how to seemingly opposite creatures could cohabitate.

”You’re probably wondering why I am here… I just…” Her voice dropped off, as she scrunched her nose in thought. By now she accepted that her words would come out just as awkward. It seemed to be a trait she couldn’t train to go away, unfortunately. ”I wanted to apologize. I know it isn’t singlehandedly my fault, but I feel like I let everyone down.” Elsa finally admitted it, her tone changing to one of lingering sadness. ”Even if you don’t think it is my fault, I still feel that way. Not to mention, I feel like the mother of all traitors for helping rule the Edge.” It hurt in two ways to say that. The first was that she respected the members of the Edge, they were highly efficient, and in the end, a very good group of horses. She couldn’t have asked to lead a better herd- unless it had been the previous Falls. That of course, was the second reason. She had brought numerous people there, spoke of safety and home.

What did she give them? Destruction and the life as an outcast. Some even probably left Helovia, like Essetia had. The thought made her stomach churn and she felt sick. This was all because of her eye. If she hadn’t been so weak in the face of one, then maybe she could stand against the 40 or so that were bent on running her out. Her wound was a mark of failure and weakness. It was not one she carried proudly.

Shuffling her feet, she looked to Essetia, anxiously whipping her tail back and forth. ”I just feel like I need to tell you. I’ve learned from it. I realized that physically being crippled was also a stress on the herd- and thus you. The God of Earth has promised me he can return my sight if I can gather some things for him…” Was it weird that Elsa was apologizing for something she was incapable of escaping? Probably, but just saying it made her feel better. ”I wanted to tell you because even though you seem to be okay with my presence, I am not. I feel like I failed you. I just want you to know I’m trying to rise from the ashes of the disaster I created. I feel like a traitor. I promised you so many things, only to watch them fall.” Her eyes pricked at the corners, but she refused, just shaking her head sadly.

This encounter had gone from bad to worse in the course of a few words and anxiety was building within her. They weren’t even “close” friends per se, but… all of this just hurt. She thought the wound had gone away, but here it was, lingering around because she hadn’t made sure those that were run out were safe. Hell, she was too busy with her own life to notice that Essetia had left.

@Essetia
/ image

There was distance between them, or a wedge that found itself pressed against their friendship likes nails to wood. There was a darkness in the way the Icebound greeted both Essetia and her wolf, but the chilling sensation was too fleeting for the spy to accurately put a name to. Whatever troubled the young Queen was something that Essetia would see to light at one point or another, but she offered nothing but understanding and solidarity until then. For a moment, Elsa’s touch was balm enough to soothe the uneasy feeling of confusion that surfaced upon their reunion. Yet, things still felt tense and uncertain… though not for any reason that Essetia herself could appoint, but rather something deep seated in her friend and former General. “It sounds regal to me, but not without confidence behind its telling… What troubles you?” Her words were but a whisper, a soft tune intended to cradle her friend in the calming notes. But they were not as binding as Essetia had hoped, but more so the unravelling of troubles yet to be named.

However, the apology that graced her lips and the trembling of her admission made Essetia recoil almost violently. As if the Queen knew the spy’s own heart, she voiced her concerns about the invasion, a well of emotion spilling from the depths of the past and into unknown territory that only produced pain and heartache. Again, and not for the first time, Essetia remembered her time in the North and the unpleasant feel of snow beneath her hooves. She remembered her desperate attempt to free herself from the icy snares of her captors, their faces passing absently from mind until finally landing on one in particular. She recalled the thistle meadow and how strange she felt to be hobbled by the clever contraption crafted by a handsome engineer and how angry, volatile, and outspoken she’d been. Those were days she’d almost begun to overlook, to forget, but here they were being dredged up from the recesses of her mind, the dark corners of her thoughts.

Yet, not one of those memories contained a vision of beauty or of hatred for the Icebound and her new placement in the Edge. After all, who better to rule the land by the sea than that of her sister, her friend, her leader, and guardian? The softness in her eyes had swelled and the sadness that laced her tongue made Essetia feel weak, as if she had somehow betrayed Elsa with her loose language and wild opinions. That had not been her intent way back when and was certainly not her intent now… She had come to peace with news of the Edge, had recognized the new leadership, and wished only the best for the land of her birthright. It was time that Elsa knew of such well-wishes and it was time that she to sought peace for herself and her home. “You have done nothing to offend or disgrace the memory of the Falls. You have achieved more than I could have thought possible and your ruling of the Edge has only served to mend frayed bonds. Do not fret my sister… I will always be at your side, whether it be in flesh or in heart.”

However, her words were of no real comfort to the Icebound and Essetia found herself spiraling downward into the self-made destruction that the invasion had left behind. That pain and agony, that weight that she had thought to bear, it was a crushing entity that would not let sleeping dogs lie. But the spy had thought herself recovered until Elsa had come back, worry and doubt pressing a sword against both their hearts and asking which of them should fall… But she had risen in the past, while Elsa had merely stumbled, her integrity robbed, her physical state broken, and her own confidence stricken into the burning grounds of a home that was no longer hers. Perhaps it was time for relief… time for Essetia to burden the weight of them both. “We were but pieces Elsa… easily overcome. There is no blame suited enough to fit any of those residing in the Falls during the invasion. Don’t you understand that? It wasn’t your fault. It wasn’t my fault… it just was. Lingering in the past won’t make the present any less daunting, but it will certainly keep you from moving forward. It’s time to forget, time to start living again. Don’t you want to live? Because as I see it, you’re slowly dying… let it go Elsa, it’s not your burden to carry.” The words left her tongue in violent disarray, but in such a way that her sternness could not be mistaken. Thoughts of the invasion had plagued them all for too long, had torn away parts of them that would take time to heal. Yet, that’s what Elsa was trying to do—or so it seemed. “What things would the Earth God have of you to restore your vision? Name it and see it done my friend, anything at all.”

To see her so broken, so ill of ease, felt binding and heavy. How long had she bore such weight until the crushing of it forced her to bend? Essetia felt guilty for having put her in such a position, felt angry at herself for not seeing it sooner, and mostly she felt sad for not finding her in her time of need. The tears threatened, but did not fall. Not yet.

essetia & romul

@Elsa-- I had to include the pun.... LET IT GO, LET IT GO!

Elsa

All of Essetia’s words. God, she wanted so badly to forgive herself, but even in the wake of her brethren’s speech, she could barely manage a small, waning smile. Deep down inside, she wasn’t sure she’d ever be able to forgive herself for what she had done. It will always linger, the shadow of her heart that can never be re-lit. Such a dark thought- but it was one she was beginning to accept.

They had been pieces, and Elsa had not fixed them. That was what Essetia failed to understand. This was her fault- she had a chance to help, to fix things, but instead she trusted the goodwill of other herds. And in her face, everything fell. She hadn’t finished her crafting projects, or trained enough for it.

She had been a Mason- a worker of stone, but hardly good enough for anything else. Elsa was a slave to her own occupation, and in her submission, she watched everything fall. So it would forever and always be her fault. It all came down to this simple, undeniable fact:

She had a chance to help, but she didn’t. Instead she stood by, and waited until the last second to respond.

She watched her own love betray them.

That cut deep. She was so shallow as to trust him, and that was her weakness. He had done it because of her- or at least that was what he had said. Elsa carried that with her. If she had only known, she was in fucking love with him and she was too blind to see the betrayal.

He was her blind betrayal. Her weakness. Her destruction.

And the sad thing was, that even now she would probably fall right back into his charms if he ever came back. Elsa was weak hearted, and she tried to make it up with anger and ice. Both extremes were met, but a happy medium was never found.

She heard all of Essetia’s speech, but still she remained quiet, even after her question. This was the point she realized she had royally fucked up. Oxy had done this to her- and she let it happen. That was the root of her guilt. It was like a sun burst into her universe and she was suddenly angry. On the flip of a dime, she went from sad to just pure anger. She huffed and began shaking.

“I can’t move on. He fucking did it for me Essetia! Oxy. I couldn’t see it. I let it happen. I can’t keep this quiet any longer. I feel like I was the reason- and partly I was. So many of our own kin turned, and I can’t help but think that’s what he did. He turned my own herd against me, to help me. Or that’s what his fleeting words were.” It was like a rush of release and now she actually started crying. It was angry and frustrated tears. If they were colored by emotion, they would be bright red, and gleaming. “If you ever find him. Tell me. And that isn’t a request." She hissed quietly, and again the apologetic look took over. God if she didn’t know about her own past, Elsa would dub herself bi-polar.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it that way.” Defeated. That was the color of choice now.

“And all I need are tears of forgiveness. Ironic right? Maybe the God of Earth knew about this.” She mused aloud, shaking her head violently, eyes cast downward in defeat. Edgar tried to pull gently on her mane to bring her attention back to Essetia. Instead, she stared down at the space between them, utterly dead inside for the moment.

@Essetia  
idk what just happened mans.
/ image

The emotions seemed to roil within her like a thick, brewing storm- one that threatened to overtake them both. Essetia felt utterly lost to the memories that obviously plagued the Icebound for she had been forever stricken from the past by hands and choices that were not her own. She had fought a battle entirely separate from the one waged in the Hidden Falls, but it didn’t seem to appease her desire for retribution for what had been done. Time had healed the wounds and tended the pain, but it hadn’t yet tamed the scars that were etched into her heart. At first Essetia had been adamant about finding someone to blame or something to carry the weight of her burdens, but without a face to match the agony, she became nothing more than an empty shell- her emotions fleeing with the memories themselves.

Yet, here they were reemerged. At first, she feared the power and the ache of bringing to light her woes, but they were but dim shadows of what they once were… Did that mean they didn’t matter any longer? Essetia tried for the first time to become enraged by the past and to let the fires burn hot against her breast where they once lingered ablaze. Yet, she couldn’t manage to stoke the embers and even the breath of remembrance couldn’t bring to life the invasion- she was finally in the process of letting go. It felt like a cool stream instead of a violent storm, not unlike the one that plagued Elsa now… But the spy could no longer fight this battle for her sister in arms. It was a war that had struck inward, a war that would ravage the Icebound until nothing remained inside but a single, dying flame. It too would perish one day when the soothing balm of the future scabbed over those festering wounds. Soon too, the thunder would cease and the lightening would finally strike… the storm would ultimately end when it had taken the last of her.

But, it was a healing storm. It would bring Elsa to her knees before finally allowing her to rise once more above the flames and the hatred and the guilt. If only Essetia could assure her of such facts, but it was a matter that only Elsa could tend to… a rift that only she could close.

However, the flooding and rushing of emotion came as a sudden shock to the spy. Even Romul appeared uneasy when the Icebound at last let her truths fly.

Oxy, she had said, or more accurately blamed, had been the cause of her pain. Essetia had known of the Legatus and had expected great things of him, but had heard through the grapevine that he had granted the intruders entrance- had given them the map toward the waterfall that concealed their home. He should have taken the blame that Elsa now carried because of his actions and Essetia longed for nothing more than to condemn him to the netherworld for leaving her friend to burden it. However, the spy couldn’t find it within herself to say such thoughts aloud, fearing more than anything that the fires would return to consume her entirely. Instead she focused her attention on the heated demands of a Queen that was not hers. Never before had Elsa been domineering, at least not toward Essetia. It was a blend of thoughtful emotion that not only surprised the spy, but set her blood to boil. In her selfishness, she longed to correct her and remind her that her allegiance was to the Throat alone, but also feared what would happen to the ties between her new home and the Edge should she step across obvious lines.

Elsa was certainly aware of the spy’s hot-headed nature and surely she would understand the bay’s need to set her boundaries straight, but she nodded curtly instead. “You’ll be the first to know.”

Yet the flickering image of dominance quickly faded and Essetia was forced to reign in her growing suspicion. “She need time…” Romul urged from her shoulder. Though the wolf was right, Essetia imagined that becoming Queen had done quite the number on the Icebound… the pressures were great when internal conflict was abounding. “It’s alright…” she sighed. “You’ve done all you can… now please, let me do you a kindness. For the World’s Edge, for the Hidden Falls, for everyone scarred by the memories of losing both their home and their stability, let me grant you the one thing you’ve been seeking from far too many. Forgive yourself Elsa. Forgive yourself for doing only what you could.”

Even as she spoke, Essetia imagined that fateful day when Midas fell and how callous those who had witnessed his death had been. She remembered her own confusion and her own loss in such a way that made such a dream feel lucid. But, there was more, because it was finally time for her to let go too. It was time to forgive herself for not being able to do what she’d promised in vain. She couldn’t protect the Hidden Falls – she was but one horse – and she shed a few tears for herself on that day, because for the first time since, she was not the one to blame.

essetia & romul

@Elsa