the Rift

[PRIVATE] between fire and ice

Darwin Posts: 74
World's Edge Protector atk: 5.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.0
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 4 Years (Ages in Birdsong) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Antaa :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix Skylark
Frostfall broke over the lands of the Ancient Rotunda. A place that Darwin had spent many moons away from during his life so far in Helovia. Yet it was always a place that had a special spot in his heart with all the mystery and beauty that the antiquated columns carried. Though he never spent too much time in one place, despite how much he wished he could live beneath the stained glass as it poured colorful stories over his pale canvas of a pelt. He was quickly growing tired of consistently being in hiding, but his magic made it at least somewhat bearable. Being able to transform into a burning phoenix was probably the best kind of mask one could ask for as he did his best to avoid his relatives. His head would not be staked outside their homes. He would make sure of it.

Today was no different, just another cold day with a cloudy sky. Snow falling and lightly covering the ground in many places, packing in over the stained glass and preventing the dulled sun from creating the cascading colors he loved so much. Yet, he found himself here once again. Something kept dragging him to this area, something different. Something fierce. He kept his identity hidden, passing through the courtyard as a bird made of fire. Heating up the snow and melting it around him as he hovered over the ivory blanket. Wings of fire spread out before he were to land, keeping the landing as graceful as possible. Being a phoenix was a bit more difficult when it came to walking, so he stuck with hopping wherever he needed to go. The intense sense of desire dragging him further to the side of the Rotunda, beneath the large stone columns and beneath the trees that stretched out for an eternity.

He found something that seemed to be round in shape. Darwin’s stone eyes widened, his hops growing larger as he pushed his way to the shape. Leaning his flaming neck down, his firey beak pushing the melting snow aside, digging out what now appeared to be an egg! He pulled back now, fearful of burning the poor thing alive. Closing his eyes, he began to focus on returning himself to his original state, until he heard a crack.

And then another crack.

And another.

It was enough of an annoying sound to pull his attention away to return to the egg. The orange and red shell began to crack with yellow lines, flames pouring out of the egg with an intensity that even Darwin began to worry. Had he burned the poor creature? Was it trying to escape? If it was already on fire, what could a little bit more hurt? Against his will, he used his beak once more to pull the small fragments of the shell away from the creature within. It looked up at him then, fire flooding out of the cracking and burning shell.

The stallion pulled away from it now, fearful of watching the tired creature die because of him. Until the unexpected happened. The flames died down enough for Darwin to notice that it was a chick. A chick with fire for feathers. A chick that seemed to emerge from its cage with such a ferocity that even Darwin couldn’t help but to smile at the creature. Though he had forgotten he had stayed in his phoenix form, and so the little chick jumped toward him, flames mingling with his own from the slight distance between them. “No, no child. I’m not your mother.” He breathed to her, realizing he appeared as though he were her mother.

Which began to remind him of his brother Knox and his companion Manhattan. Was this chick supposed to be his companion? Did others find their companions just randomly as he had? Or was there something more to it? He lifted his head then, looking around the area to see if perhaps she belonged to someone else. Yet as he looked away, she began to screech at him with such an ungodly scream that he couldn’t help but tear his head back down to her. “Okay, okay. Jesus. I’m sorry.” A chuckle escaped his lips, though he wasn’t sure if it were from true laughter or complete nervousness.

I suppose I should name you.” He breathed to her, their flames growing stronger together. “Antaa.” He nodded to her. The chick curiously staring up at him, chirping about something. Was she hungry? Darwin began to grow more frantic. What did phoenix’s even eat? Did they eat like normal birds? Suddenly, he began to feel a sort of weakness. Both tiresome from his transformation, which he knew. But this one was different. Was this her? Had she already bonded to him? Was he already feeling a sort of exhausted beginning that came from her? All these questions had his mind wrapped up within it. He began to forget about whoever might be around or passing through and fell through with the transformation and returned to his ivory and ebony state. Just a pale Pegasus with darkened markings, wings tucked at his sides with his nose beside this flaming chick.

"Talk."
& they said you were the crooked kind—
that you'd never have no worth,
but you were always gold to me.
image credits

@Elsa it's pretty long but don't feel the need to do nearly the length. xD

Pixel by BronzeHalo @ Deviantart

Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Darwin, without killing him.
Please tag in every post!

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
Elsa
I've cried, and you'd think I'd be better for it, but the sadness just sleeps, and it stays in my spine the rest of my life.

Elsa and Edgar were free once more. Nothing more than the vast expanse of the land laid out before them. Edgar in particular wanted to visit the Ancient Rotunda. He saw it once when he was young, but now that he was older and could appreciate the beauty of it. Elsa was still confused by the thing- that was no easy feat. The ex-mason knew the amount of effort that went into something that big and detailed. 

Quickly they found their way there, and Edgar was boiling with delight. His childish tendencies bounding to the surface in a matter of moments. Elsa grinned, shaking her head lightly as he hopped up and down eager to explore this place of mystery. Though his attentions were quickly turned to a brand new phoenix, and his companion. Edgar squawked gleefully, flying down to Elsa and urging her to go towards the duo. Now the thoughts of the Rotunda were long abated, and he was excited to meet another one of his brethren. He’d seen a lot of companions, but none like himself. Most were deer, wolves, bears, lots of big scary animals. But he knew that the zephyr species in general was not to be messed with. Each one harnessed a unique power – it made them incredibly strong with time.

Elsa cautiously approached, watching as the man dubbed his companion Antaa. A unique name- and that was when Edgar tore into her thoughts reminding her of the plenty of wonderful names he had from himself. Unfortunately for Edgar, the name stuck and there was no changing her mind. She rolled her eyes, trying to block out the boisterous bird for a moment.

”Greetings. It seems congratulations are in order.” She said quietly. Edgar jumped from her head, hopping over to the flaming chick. Fire and ice, how ironic. ’Reminds me of crush.’ he said slyly. He had found out about her… feelings for her king. Although worry lingered in the back of his comments, he trusted Tembovu not to harm her. Otherwise, he truly would freeze his manhood off. Well that escalated.

”My name is Elsa. Queen of the World’s Edge. Edgar is my companion- although unlike yours he is graced with the power of winter.” In the midst of frostfall there was a certain irony to a phoenix being born. It defied all the laws of nature. Edgar thought it wonderful, still fangirling over the newborn like a groupie. ”If you do not like him near her, Antaa I believe you said? Just let me know. It’s just that he hasn’t met another companion like himself. He’s squealing in my mind right now. That’s one thing you get to look forward to.” She shrugged nonchalantly as Edgar turned from fangirling to demanding an outloud apology for her rudeness. Only it wasn’t rude if it was the truth. She smirked, letting him fume as she waited for the white stallion to speak- or chase her away.

"talk"
@Darwin   sorry for the wait <3

image credits
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 4 Years (Ages in Birdsong) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
A bit of sweat had gathered on the Pegasus from the length of time he spent transformed, but it was quickly growing into small drops of icicles. Yet he watched as if unsure what to do with the little chick. Antaa began to bounce around, pushing herself out of the pieces of egg. She hopped toward him then, squawking loudly for him to hear as she tangled herself within his tail.  He craned his head underneath him, trying his best to view the chick of fire as she nestled herself within his tresses of a tail – worried that perhaps her flames might ignite him. But relief spread through Darwin at the sight of the chick enjoying the softness of his tail and not lighting him on fire.

Though as his river stone eyes watched the chick, a sound grabbed his attention. A voice and movement approached him, causing his head to jut up with a bit of a flurry. His mane danced back down onto his neck as he watched the creature appear. A Pegasus like himself, adorned with blues and whites, and snow. He watched her curiously, perhaps a sputter of his chest began with the curiosity of who this creature was and if he’d met her before. Though it didn’t appear so seeing as she introduced herself to him and he nodded almost dumbly. Distracted by her and her companion. The other zephyr bounding from his companion’s head to run to Antaa.

Thanks, I guess.” A slight chuckle escaped his lips before his eyes drifted from her to the frosty zephyr as Antaa began to squawk back to him with such an excited sound. Almost as if she were saying ‘what is this place?’ Darwin could feel the confusion that lined the corners of his mind, a feeling he couldn’t quite grasp as the concept of a companion seemed to elude him. Turning his gaze back to the mare as she spoke, his posture shifted almost as if he was some vagabond and she were some royalty – trying not to upset her in any way. Which was exactly how it appeared. She said she was a Queen, his eyes widened slightly before dipping his head gently to her. “Had I known I’d be meeting a queen today, I might have been more prepared. It’s a pleasure to meet you both.” He offered her a lopsided smile. “Ah, the World’s Edge is a gorgeous place though. I heard much of my old herd moved there when they got invaded.” He shrugged lightly, casting a glance over to Edgar as he freaked out over Antaa. She seemed equally as ecstatic, curious and wanting to get to know the creature.

Antaa was still rather small, however. She would take some getting used to with her legs and wings. She looked to Edgar with bright eyes, bouncing out from within Darwin’s tail and out into the open toward the Queen, eyes wide. She looked back to Darwin for a brief moment before she did her best to hop toward Edgar, wings flattened as if to keep her balance during her hops. Little caws escaping her beak every step.

Darwin’s ears perked to Elsa, curious of her words and what she meant by them and was struck with a realization that he hadn’t introduced himself. He shook the little icy drops from his pelt before stretching out his wings slightly, pulling them back in tightly on his back. “I’m Darwin. It’s been a very long time since I’ve been here. I left when I was a yearling.” He shrugged slightly. “I don’t have any titles, really. Though I hear my brothers are doing pretty well. Rather not see them, though, if I had to be honest.” The smile returned to his darkened lips as he tried his best to conceal a laugh. “I don’t really understand how this whole companion thing works. Do they just learn over time?” He paused briefly before a panging sensation hit his head and he glanced back to Antaa – pausing in her attempt to play with Edgar to look back at her bonded. “And what do I feed her?” He questioned with a flick of his ear in uncertainty.

"Talk."
image credits

@Elsa , no worries! <3

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
Elsa
I've cried, and you'd think I'd be better for it, but the sadness just sleeps, and it stays in my spine the rest of my life.

Ah and there it was. The inevitable moment when this stallion commented on her rank. She snorted, shaking her head a bit. There was no need to prepare for anything- in fact, she much preferred people weren’t. In the days of life as a Mason, no one bothered to be on their best behavior. And even when she was the General, others still were not always worried about it. Elsa hated the fact that such a word carried weight. She deserved no more or no less respect than anyone else. A title does not define her- in fact, she defines the title. And in her world, being a queen was not all about pleasantries. In fact, it may be considered quite the opposite. She was ruthless, rude, and often sarcastic, but she couldn’t deny that there was a little part of her that loved every bit and piece of everyone she met. It seemed that part was growing bigger and she wasn’t sure if that was going to be a blessing or a curse yet.

But other matters came quickly when he mentioned he’d lived in the Edge… after his herd was invaded? She cocked her head to the side in confusion, the only invasion she ever heard of was the one she participated. The last time she checked, this Darwin was not a member of the Hidden Falls. A surge of questions threatened to break out of her teeth, but she clamped her mouth shut until other things had been spoken.

And he answered her own question- thankfully. He looked much older than a yearling, and if he hadn’t been here since then, he was certainly talking about a previous invasion. Geeze, Helovia seemed to be full of usurping individuals. Power drove these horses to do horrid things, and it sounded like Helovia still remained blood thirsty and full of tension. Maybe that was an overstatement, but you get the gist. And inside, it physically hurt her when he mentioned not wanting to see his brothers. Part of that reminded her of Shida- would she tell this to others she talked to? Would she denounce her in the presence of others? A feeling of nausea breathed over her, and suddenly her head hurt.

So she was glad when he began to ask about companions. That was something she could easily do. Giving a bright smile she laughed a little at the shenanigans his newborn was already beginning to participate in. Oh if she ended up like Edgar he’d have his hands full with her. ’Hey!’ Edgar yelled, shooting her a brief glare before continuing his mission to befriend the girl. Oh god. She really hoped Zephyr’s didn’t gain feelings. Ew. Ewwww. She had enough of her own sappy life she didn’t need another. On cue, Edgar shot her another seething glance. But he moved toward the hopping flailing little bird, lifting his wing to stop her for a moment. Then he showed how he walked, well, hopped. He tucked his wings and hopped forward, carefully showing how tail feathers could help her balance. Then he stopped, blinking once, before letting out a low coo of encouragement. ’Oh god I’m going to barf.’ She thought, better continue talking until Edgar tries to give his crush-y love-y emotions to her.

”They will learn, and believe me, you’ll regret ever wanting them to learn.” She snickered and Edgar simply let out a large indignant squawk, hissing towards his companion. ”They also develop wonderful attitudes.” slyly she glanced to Edgar, only to see him turned away, his anger nearly visible. She simply ignored him once again, and continued her conversation. ”As of now, she won’t be able to communicate with you other than feelings and images, and her magic won’t show up either until she’s a little older. But I can tell from the looks, you’ve got quite the fiery girl on your hands.” Elsa shot the little chick a smile of delight. It had been so long since she had seen a companion so young. It amazed her how Edgar went from fluffy, white and cute, to fluffy, white, and 99 percent evil. ”You’ll only have to feed her yourself for the first week or so. She needs to learn to hunt alone- because as she gets bigger so will her prey. Maybe not horse sized, but you get the gist. For now, I’d just give her some dead bugs or a mouse if you can find one. She won’t eat a lot, but she will eat often until she grows to her full size. Once she learns to hunt, you’ll find you have hours of extra time you have.” She offered him a sarcastic shrug. No point in sugar coating it, he was going to have to play zephyr daddy here for a while until she grew. C’est la vie.

But more pressing and urgent questions rolled in the back of her mind. Maybe it was too intrusive… No, she needed to know. Knowledge was power after all. ”You mentioned you lived in the Edge after it was invaded… when was that? I was recently kicked out of my old herd, and ended up in the Edge after it was almost completely abandoned by the previous recipients who took over my home. If it is too intrusive, feel free to ignore the question. It just seems that Helovia has a much darker past than I had originally thought.” She mused, finally falling silent and awaiting what her new found friend would have to say.

"talk"
@Darwin   idk how it got so long ;-;

image credits
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Darwin grew increasingly interested in the Edge’s Queen as she smiled to him. Something sparked down within the beast that also had begun to make him rather happy. Whether it was the connection from Antaa or just the pure joy of someone else being happy from the words he had said, he wasn’t sure. It was a pleasant feeling, however, and he wanted it to last forever. Antaa seemed more preoccupied by the other Zephyr, watching him as he began to teach her things. She crooned a rather excited sound of wonder and awe at just how easily Edgar could move around. Everything the other Zephyr did seemed flawless to her – and she was just getting used to wobbly legs. As Edgar moved closer to Antaa, her eyes landed on him, watching him with content as she came to a stop – his wing preventing any further motion. She knew that he wanted her to watch him, and so she did. He made it look effortless and easy and she began to try and replicate the motions. Tucking her wings in just like he had, taking a leap forward in the hopes of not landing on her freshly hatched face. A strict look of determination on her face. His encouragement kept the chick trying as she wobbled, though the trick from him retained her balance.

The whole time the two of them seemed to hit it off, Darwin couldn’t understand exactly what these feelings were – but it didn’t take long until his mind was swept by the Queen that stood before him. He let his gaze cast upon her once again, the smile sticking to his face as fluted ears perked in her direction. She spoke of the companions and how they could learn and grow attitudes. Darwin couldn’t help but to chuckle slightly. “Oh, she’s got a pretty feisty one already. When she hatched, she thought I was her mother.” If he could shrug, he would’ve. “Though I guess that’s normal?” Another chuckle left the peg’s bearded muzzle. Elsa continued, and he listened closely. Drinking in all the advice and curiosities that came from the ivory snow queen. As she spoke of Antaa being feisty, she paused in her movements on wobbly talons to smile up at the queen, beak parting ever so slightly with an excitement as if saying ‘you got that right’. Darwin would be in for a treat, he was sure. Though as she spoke of feeding Antaa, he stifled back a groan. He knew it would be difficult, and he hoped that the phoenix would be able to learn quickly. Darwin wasn’t a hunter. A warrior, perhaps. But not a hunter.

Well that sounds splendid. I hope she can learn quick.” He shot a glance to the chick, smiling gently but carrying a hidden line of worry. What if he couldn’t provide for her? What would happen then? Would she starve and in turn he lose part of himself with her? Either way, he needed to spend more time with this queen to learn the ways. Hoping deep down that Antaa could learn quick from Edgar and be able to sustain herself over time. Yet, the mare’s voice struck his ears once again and his head shifted to her, listening as she questioned him of his past. He would’ve rather kept things a secret, but decided that perhaps her royal stance could keep secrets. For he didn’t trust easily, and yet this pale queen had captured it within minutes. He shook his head briefly, a notion of saying he’d love to talk about his past. Curious about how she lived in Helovia while everything happened. “Hmm, I must have had it messed around in my head. I believe I was born during or just shortly after the invasion.” His smile began to fade ever so slightly. “I was a colt of the Windtossed Foothills, if you’ve ever heard of them. Someone came and invaded the Edge and the members were exiled to my lands. Then, a bit later, there was in an invasion into my lands where many of my people left. I had already gone though.” He began to mutter, brows furrowing as his memory began to fail him. “Or was it the other way around?” he muttered. “Eh, anyway. My mother was killed just shortly after my birth by my brothers. I’m not sure how many of them reside here in Helovia anymore, but I’d like to stay away from them. Perhaps you’ve heard of them?” His heavy bearded head tilted to her, curious if the queen would be able to bring him safety if he were to follow her back to the Edge.

He knew one thing, he didn’t want to try and take care of Antaa all by himself. She was experienced with Edgar, and that was enough to prove to Darwin that he could trust her. He also wanted to be safe from Archibald and Knox. He heard from Aeolus that the beasts lived in the Hidden Falls, which definitely wasn’t the World’s Edge. Darwin had never heard of the Falls, and all he knew was he would do his best to avoid it. If Elsa could help keep him hidden from them, perhaps he’d be able to learn what all had happened in his absence. There seemed to be too much that had happened with too little time to learn – at least if you didn’t make alliances.

"Talk."
image credits

@Elsa , companion fun I suppose? :D