the Rift

Step right UP [Plain SS Drop]

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
As these things often did, the strange gathering tilted towards a stranger purpose, a new direction, where the outcome was not clear and the end goal was not entirely certain. Amaris had seen these gatherings before, she had gone through the motions and witnessed others take the 'prize' - never had she won the prize herself, and whenever she had ever actually wanted to win it, it had been for the sake of the creature inside, and so seeing it at least be released to a loving, suitable home was usually consolation enough for the dragonmare.

The peculiar creature said his part and gave them all a choice. There's always a choice, she thought idly, and no matter what everyone else chooses, the egg itself has no choice.

Amaris knew this was how it happened, but it still left a bitter taste on her tongue. She was not the companion advocate that her former Gladiator claimed to be, but she always prayed for the little creatures within those eggs, that they would go to where they were meant to be, and find the soul they were born to bond with.

She supposed most every creature who was able to bond with a creature of Helovia had something of a choice - they could choose not to bond (couldn't they?). The dragonmare didn't want to think on it - she didn't really want to be here, making a choice for a companion not even hatched, but she could hardly abandon the task now - she had to see it through, to ensure the egg made it safely in the possession of someone at least.

But who?

Golden eyes looked to every other who had arrived. Who was to say whether they were worthy or not?

Finally she settled upon the rodent, their presenter. She supposed he would be the one to decide.

With a sigh, she spoke softly, but clearly, not using any particular method to make her decision, aside from the simple fact that she could see an egg before her (and while she knew that not everything was what it seemed, it was the theory she was running with at the moment).

"The egg."

wishlist
previous refusal 1
previous refusal 2
previous refusal 3
Seeking rougarou.
Amaris chooses the egg in front of her.
Amaris
drákos istoría
theartlex | larfsalot
on deviantart
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Ming Yue Posts: 36
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 6 :: Ages in Frostfall
Danjah

Scores of other Helovians and alike had come pouring into the clearing where Ming Yue stood with the few others who had arrived early. But she had not anticipated what the creature would state next as he stood on the plimph-like object in the centre with his circus voice bellowing. His sweaty palms were pierced intently by her fiery pools, the movement seemingly beckoning them closer, and for that she took only two smalls steps with her lithe pillars towards him. How did she know whether this was a trap? She eyed the eggs that he was advertising and longed to see what would happen, but the consequences of such a thing could be catastrophic. Yet in spite of this, she carried on and heard what he had to say.

"We're going to play a little game. It's quite simple you see, but it will reveal everything I need to know about you."

With a cock to her cranium she could feel the curiosity rippling through the crowd as it ripped through her own azurine bodice.

The eggs then disappeared amazingly, and then seemed to have been levitated in the air as they re-appearesd. This was the tricky part, as she wondered what she was going to answer. Was it under the cloth or was it the one already in sight? Both looked deceiving, but her instinct felt her voice speak up and give its answer to the strange salesman,
I choose what lies underneath the cloth. Her voice was quivering with uncertainty but she made her call and waited as the other creatures of all shapes and sizes did the same, some already having done so....

Ming Yue chooses the egg underneath the fabric.

Wishlist
No prior refusals. Double roll due to Aurora Basin winning Herd Champs.

Please tag Ming Yue in all threads! ♥

Milo Posts: 60
Outcast
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 2 years [Birdsong]
Jen

I watch as a crowd gathers, suddenly aware of how small I am among them. Bodies not even touching mine feel as though they are pressing, breaths condense and become an oppressive wind. I feel the heat of life, the sheer mass of helovians crowding, wanting, chattering and living so obtrusively. I want more than anything to be gone from here, to lie on the earth and cry like a child born to no mother.

I want to be born only of air, of light, of an understood absence of things. This, at least, would free me of the burden of obligation. For I am obliged, I am always obliged. I am obliged to be a son, I am obliged to be a nephew, to have love for so many that mean so little to me.

Forming connections feels like reaching to pluck fabric with needle but finding there is no thread. What is the fabric but flesh, what is the needle but the pain of affection? I look up nervously, a soft whinny choking out from my throat as shadows of others cover me. I am not comforted in this crowd, I feel only more alone.

There are incontrovertible facts of my life. The rat-creature offers a choice between the fact presented to us and the mystery beneath the cloth. This cloth is here, this cloth is visible, what is below it is not. I watch people make their choices, some more obvious than others and some with more deliberation.

I'm not certain it's my place to make a choice at all, but if the creature insists I won't deny him the pleasure of his game. But I know this, and perhaps only this: life is at it is, there are no chances to change the world. There is no secret egg. There is no easy way out. There are the things you know, the things you cannot escape, and these are all you have.

Knowing this I step forward tentatively, nudging my nose towards the visible egg. Knowing this, I am filled with pain.

Milo picks the visible egg.
No Prior Refusals.
Wishlist: http://helovia.net/showthread.php?tid=21289

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks
Tandavi
I'll light a fire in your new shoes.
Fire Dancer presses against her cousin's embrace, black eyes observant as she surveyed the scene. Copper ears stand alert, twitching to take in minute sounds; she moves softly and subtly, letting Amaris' embrace calm her, letting her brother enjoy the show despite her own conflicted thoughts.

The creature does a bit of magic, and now two eggs(?) hang in the air, one clearly visible and one hidden by a sheet. To what end? A puzzle, she supposes, like the one presented by the harpy in the maze- a challenge, a test of spirit, or simply a diversion, a trick of the light? A hybrid voices the girl's uncertainty, demanding an egg he fancied to be squirreled away. Copper child does wonder if there is some truth to his accusation, though she holds her silence a minute more. It is the innocent question of the small white mare, the doubt she voices which rings true to the girl. Where do they come, the companion eggs? Where did he get them, that he can throw them around so?

She lets her cousin voice a guess, before finally stepping forward, eyes narrowed in thought. "How do you choose?" her dark voice questions, alto tones curious, ready to judge. "What gives you the right to offer a life? And what gives us the right to take it? How do you judge our worthiness, based on a single choice?" She is a hypocrite, perhaps, bonded already herself- what right did she have to her brother's life? From his place Natraj frowns, sticking out his tongue: Maybe I chose you, he teases her, unimpressed with her philosophical conundrum. Then he grows serious, the Earth God's mark glittering on his forehead. We happy. We family. Others deserve too?

The girl glances at her scaled cousin, her only kin who has suffered so much.

Yes, she agrees, Others deserve too.

"I would see what is under the sheet."

Image Credit

Tandavi chooses what's under the sheet
Wishlist
Refusal 1
Refusal 2

Najya Posts: 90
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 7 (Tallsun) HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
A'mal :: Plain White Dragon :: Shock Breath Kiki
This was quite the contrast to the last gathering that had drawn Najya's attention in these flats.  She was quite pleased to see there was no fighting, no blood soaking the sand, no strange portals in the sky. This seemed like quite the peaceful meeting compared to the battle fought alongside the Sun God. It seemed like some had a better idea about what was happening than others.  Najya wasn't entirely sure what this was about, but found herself a willing participant nonetheless. 

The little creature seemed like quite the impatient thing – eager to put on a show for those that had gathered. Najya watched with great interest, having never seen such a spectacle before.  Once he seemed content with his crowd, he conjured an egg before each of them – identical to those that had once just resided in his little tent.

Were these the same? 
Was it an illusion?

Najya was tempted to reach out and touch the egg.   Would the shell be smooth, or would it disappear as soon as she touched it?  And as if to complicate things further, the little creature then offered them a choice.  Did you take this egg, hanging before them – or what he had hidden beneath the cloth before him?  A choice. A game. 

The others decided swiftly – some deciding to choose the egg they see, some electing to choose what the creature has hidden beneath the bit of cloth he dangles before them.  Does not know what fuels the decision of each individual, and at the end of the day the ‘whys’ are irrelevant.

The last time she had stood in this land, she hadn’t had her eyesight.  It had taught her to value her vision – to trust in what her eyes showed her, even in a land bathed in magic.
“I can only trust in what my eyes show me,” she said, in her slightly accented voice, “So I, too, choose this egg before me.” 

She knew it was a risk, especially since this creature was clearly well versed in all things magic and could very well hidden the actual egg beneath the cloth before him.  However, she had absolutely no way to be certain.

Her eyes flicker between the others, wondering and quietly observing, but she says nothing else.  For the time being she is content just to be a part of something, even if it is just a game.

-- najya --

image credit || HTML by Kyra

Najya chooses the visible egg

Najya seeks a Plain Dragon
Wishlist
No prior refusals

Please tag NAJYA in all replies. 
Force & magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
Thank you!
pixel base

Mortuus Nox Posts: 187
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 3.5 | def: 10 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 :: Immortal HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Dressy
You can have your very own
Devil at the cross roads
His demonic head tilted as the thing in front of him began to speak. Gray eyes traced over the creatures body as he started to explain himself. He wanted to play a game, oh great child shit is the last thing he wanted to think of. Gray eyes rolled as he watched the others gather around closer and closer. His body felt claustrophobic as more and more started to gather. Why wont they just go the Fuck away from him. The large horns looked side to side as the crowed started to divide into two sections.

The ugly creature asked them to choose what egg they wanted to stand behind. Nox looked at each egg carefully as he head tilted again. Some went towards the visible one and others chose the one with the sheet over it. His mind flooded with the options that he could choose. He could turn around and just leave, or he could choose the obvious egg in front of him. Then gray eyes flicked to the one under the sheet, and he could not help but feel a drawl to it. So he let his cracked hooves travel towards the covered egg. He was choosing the one you can not see, he honestly did not are if he did or did not win anything. It would be nice if his choice of the unknown would pay off.

"Talk."

He Picks the covered Egg

Wish List http://helovia.net/showthread.php?tid=20004

No prior refusals, and using the extra roll from the Basin Herd champions
image credits

Please tag Mortuus Nox in all posts
magic & permanent injury is permitted excluding death.

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

Marialeth is disqualified for not posting within the 72 hours!

Congratulations to NAJYA! List, Roll.

A wide smile stretched out across the rodent's face. Would they really succumb to his trickery so quickly?

Ah..

It seemed so.

Some chose what lay before their eyes: Myrrine, Lyanna, Aisling ("Listen girl, if you're that worried about where they came from, perhaps this isn't the place for you."), Amaris, Milo, Najya

While others chose what was obscured by  mere cloth: Colt, Grimalkin, Ming Yue, Tandavi ( "Do you not get to decide how to style your hair? Yes of course you do, for it is yours to do with as you will, just as these are mine to do with as I will. And no one said that there was anything but gup inside of this shell, now did they? As for the question ... all the decisions in your life have led up to this moment. Had things been different, you might answer differently, might think differently. That your entire life has yielded this answer is quite a bit to go on. Now off with you. I don't like your tone."), Mortuus Nox.

While one decided not to play at all. The creature hissed at Ilios, and swatted towards his nose with a small paw. "You great horned boob!" He scolded grumpily. There was always one in the bunch, wasn't there? One who thought themselves so clever. "The other egg is obviously beneath the sheet, smarty pants. You lose. Go away."

I can only trust in what my eyes show me The creature's beady eyes widened, and he smiled a genuine smile and nodded. "An empiricist eh? Practical thinking. Good girl." The cloth suddenly dropped to the ground, and the egg exploded onto the hardened salty ground. Inside a whispy vapor exited from the shattered pieces smelling vaguely of sulfur.  "It is to you I trust this creature-" His eyes flickered to Tandavi for a moment, as if emphasizing that it was only just now that it was revealed that what was inside the egg was indeed a living thing, and not gaseous vapour like the other egg. "Keep your wits about you, eh?

Slowly the egg floated towards Najya. With a spark and a flash, the boothe - and the creature - disappeared in a puff of lightning.

Please post to the character record updates once the companion has hatched!

regularjane | Quote: Thomas Moore

Najya Posts: 90
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 7 (Tallsun) HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
A'mal :: Plain White Dragon :: Shock Breath Kiki
The others spoke in turn, and Najya remained quiet - observing the others and their reactions.  It was then that the little creature sprung to life again, speaking to each of them in turn.  Then it was her turn.  A little “Oh,” escaped her lips as surprise flickered across the flaxen mare’s face.  Hazel eyes widened in what she could only describe as shock.  The words of the others turned to little more than a faint hum as the little creature spoke directly to her.  It had chosen her.  Her heart races in her chest as the significance of the creature’s words sinks in. 

This was most certainly not what she had been expecting.  She knew of companions, of course.  She was quite fond of Mesec’s Lucius.  Perhaps there was a little bird of her own inside this egg?  But regardless of what was inside, she knew what having a companion meant.  She would never be alone again.  That was what warmed her heart, what caused the joy to bubble over.  Because Najya had been lonely since the moment she had set foot in Helovia, even when surrounded by so many strangers.

“Oh, thank you,” she managed, louder this time, her eyes flicking from the creature to the egg and back again.

And then the little creature and all of his tricks was gone – taking his tent and adornments with him.  But the egg remained, nestled safely at her hooves. She couldn’t help but smile down at the little thing, admiring the flawless shell.  It seemed so fitting that this place, tainted with memories soaked in blood, would now be home to happy ones.  Life and death. There is always a balance.  It was true in the stories she so loved, maybe now she could finally but her faith in those words.

This was the beginning of a new adventure.

-- najya --

image credit || HTML by Kyra

Please tag NAJYA in all replies. 
Force & magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
Thank you!
pixel base