the Rift

begin again

Freyja Posts: 15
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3 :: Nine years
Valentine
She tried not to think too much of home. Or rather, the place she had called home those years ago, when her life was good and things were right, simple. It was a dangerous thought path that only left her feeling sorry for herself. Although Freyja liked to think she had learned from her past, her mistakes, everything that had happened, she often found herself going down, rather than forward, sinking into the black pit of endless anxiety and subsequent depression that had eaten her whole those first few months following her lover's departure, and then again after her children left her. It was not a pretty place to be, and she tried to recognize when that darkness threatened to consume her again, so she could escape it. Many times, she managed, she always found something to distract herself.

This time round, she distracted herself with a new place to call home. This place, Helovia, it was beautiful, but strange. Taking her first steps into the threshold, she was reminded of her past life, the rows trees reaching up mightily towards the heavens, towering above her. It made her feel small, yet it was comforting, the odd sense of familiarity she got. So far she had been alone, and while normally that might bother her, she was glad for the solitude - it gave her a chance to collect her thoughts. She mostly wondered what would become of her here; there was nothing worse than waiting and wondering what would happen to her. She found her imagination to be the cruelest captor.

The fog that rolled through the trees and the frost that covered the ground gave this common ground an unnatural, otherworldly feel. The air was cool and still as she trekked through the seemingly abandoned forest, a chill running down her spine as she wandered on. Freyja found it rather unusual that she had yet to run into anyone; surely she was not the only living being roaming around this woodland. Pausing next to a particularly large oak, she swung her head around, looking behind her, wondering if she was heading in the wrong direction. Seeing no one, the mare frowned to herself.

"Hello? Is there anyone there?"

She called out, hoping there was another living, sentient being within earshot that might come to her aid. She wasn't keen on the idea of spending too long here - the sooner she could leave, the better.

i lie around and wait for a heart i used to know

Myrrine Posts: 179
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 (Orangemoon) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Watermel0nBob

Her steps were airy, full of cheer and confidence as the frost crunched beneath them. She had been here just before Frostfall had latched itself onto Helovia, when the leaves finally fell away and the ground grew hard with the cold. Those moments of transition were rare to see, and she couldn't help but feel blessed that she was one of the very few who got to witness them. Everyone seemed to be so focused in their own lives, their own thoughts, that they often missed those little moments that often held such importance. The girl often looked for the little things, seeking them out like little trinkets that she could tuck away into her collection. How she loved every moment of life she breathed, and to be able to experience anything knew was a surprise she was always delighted to find. As her stepping slowed she heard a sound ahead in the depths of the Threshold, causing black-tipped ears to flicker in that direction. Soon she saw a beautiful mare walking about, seeming to look very lost.

Myrrine wasted no time in approaching her, being kind and smooth in her movements so as not to startle her. It was when she was within speaking distance that she heard the woman speak, and the spotted gal couldn't help but smile, dipping her head politely and letting wings flutter as she responded in her chime-like tone," Hello! I'm here! My name is Myrrine, it's a pleasure to meet you miss! May I ask your name?" She was obviously older than she, so Myrrine had to show her respect; not that she didn't do that with everyone anyways. When she finally got comfortable she smiled brightly, hazel eyes full of life and cheerfulness as she tilted her head gently, asking in her soft and polite tone," Have you been to Helovia before? If not, then welcome! I certainly hope you enjoy your stay. If there are any questions you have, please don't be afraid to ask!"

OOC: Sorry it's so blegh. Welcome! If you don't want me to tag you please let me know. Any questions don't be afraid to ask :)

MYRRINE
Life's too short to live simply

semperfeisty | xxtgxxstock @dA | leeorr-stock @dA | jerry oldenettel @ flickr

@Freyja
Any force is permitted aside from death or maiming
PLEASE TAG ME IN POSTS! :3

Outcast
Valentine
One minute she was alone and then, she wasn't. In the blink of an eye, someone was there, hazel eyes and a kind smile presented in front of her. Startled, Freya took a step back, her eyes roaming over the other's figure. Freyja's surprise was clear on her face as she laid her eyes on the smaller mare; were those wings growing out of her shoulders? Her blue eyes lingered on the mare's extra appendages for longer than she cared to admit, before finally coming to rest on her face.

"Ah, yes. Hello. My name is Freyja, it's nice to meet you." She smiled in return. This girl was obviously much younger than herself - in fact, she looked to be about Schuyler's age. This horse, this Myrrine, she had the same youthful, innocent look about her that her daughter had possessed the last time Freyja saw her - before she had left her mother and brother behind to start her own life. Their eyes glistened the same way, and the older mare found herself suddenly feeling almost maternal towards this young girl. This, combined with the passing memory of her daughter caused her heart to twinge slightly. She quickly shook it away; this was no time to be thinking of the past. She had a whole new life ahead of her, a plethora of new adventures awaiting her. Those things, those memories, their place was behind her.

"I have not been here before. I just arrived, actually, not too long ago." The white-faced mare responded. "I'm just trying to find my way out of here, really. Am I heading the right way? I feel a little lost." This forest was vast, and although she had spent most of her life in a forest, she still found this one difficult to navigate. Perhaps there was some sort of magical force keeping her here - the idea sounded absurd, but with everything she had seen on her travels, she knew it was not outside the realm of possibility.

Shifting her weight about, Freyja flicked her tail against her hocks, tilting her head at Myrrine. "Are you from these parts, Myrrine? Or are you a foreigner, like myself?" She looked a bit young to have gotten here from another place, but then again, Schuyler had set off on her own when she was only a few years old. Perhaps if Myrrine knew her way around, she would be willing to help get her out of here.

@Myrrine

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

Archibald moved through the forest, a massive shadow with his companion in tow, with precision and skill. He followed the voice that seemed t call out for him, for someone, for help. He did not frequent the threshold, that was true, for when he did he never seemed to bring home a prize. Today, however, he and Loretta had been hunting. When the voice called out, Archibald moved into action instantly, knowing that despite his dislike of recruiting, his herd was in desperate need of members. Breaking the treeline, the goliath and his companion stood before the conversing mares--one young, one older. Nodding to each of them in greeting, he let his voice fill in the gaps. "I am Archibald the Dauntless, Czar of the Hidden Falls. Should you seek a home and refuge in Helovia, the Falls opens its borders to you."

Even with his heavy-handed leadership history, opening his home so easily and so freely to strangers still made bile bubble in the back of his throat. Loretta felt the same, bitter taste on her tongue and sighed. Lowering to her haunches, the canine listened as Archibald waited for a reply from the female. She did not seem like a warrior; her body was too slight and frail. She could possibly excel as a healer, crafter, or sneak--all of which the Hidden Falls needed. Straightening his posture some (as if he could straighten himself any more, make himself any larger), Archibald awaited her reply with quiet, solid eyes. He was a vigil of strength before her, with his massive scarred body and his breastplate hanging heavy on his chest. His very being called for--no, demanded respect as he stood there, hooves pressing into the snow below him.

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS
Only the dead have seen the end of the war.
image credits

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Watermel0nBob

She seemed to accidentally startle the older woman, causing her to pause briefly in order for the lady to process the situation. She understood what it was like to come across something so new and different, especially if you weren't used to the magical wonders of Helovia. When she saw how fascinated she was by her wings she smiled and gently giggled, it ringing clearly yet pleasantly upon her maw. Turning to the side to give the mare a better view she flickered them, tilting her head and sweetly speaking once more," They're something unique aren't they? I was blessed with them by the Gods when I arrived here. I used to be an equine just like you in my old world. Helovia has that affect on horses here." That smile never once faded, and as soon as she heard the woman's name she dipped her head politely, before springing back up into the cheery disposition of hers.

Upon the next question that came from Freyja the girl patiently listened, nodding in acknowledgement to her words before finally responding," The threshold is a difficult place to travel through the first time. Its walls don't let those through until they've decided where their destination is. Depending on where you want to go, I can certainly help you! There are four places to live in here." She took in a soft breath, glancing around. She was about to continue when Freyja asked yet another question, and without missing a beat she responded ever so patiently," I used to live elsewhere, and then I found myself here just like you! It was something new indeed, but now I live in the World's Edge. It's a very lovely place to be." At the mention of her beloved home she smiled, a warmth spreading throughout her spotted frame as she looked pleasantly at this kind mare. She liked her. She was certainly sweet and friendly, and all she seemed to want was to find somewhere to belong. Myrrine could certainly help her with that, just like she tried to do with every wanderer that she came across within this clearing they were standing in.

Before she could say another word yet another figure approached; one so familiar she almost jumped in glee at the sight of him... until she realized it wasn't who she thought it was. Soon he was standing; towering high above her just like Vincent did, and all she could think about was how much this man looked like him. There were still major differences; Vincent had one gold marking upon his eye that glowed whenever he was anxious, and he would never have stood so confidently as this man did here. It was almost as if he were Vincent's alter ego. The thought almost made her laugh at loud but she stopped herself, managing to just keep a polite smile as he formally introduced himself. It was when she heard the name that a recollection occurred; for this was the former King of the Edge. She blinked, trying to keep her own feelings at bay, and instead simply dipped her head towards him.

" It's a pleasure to meet your Highness," she began respectfully, as she was always courteous to the higher ups. After a brief moment she smiled at his welcoming, and though she could feel a slight bitterness at his words she kept her mouth shut, not wanting to push her own opinions on this newcomer. She was entitled to her own decision, and her bias against the former King who decided to invade the falls and then rule it should not be brought into the conversation. And so she took a deep breath and looked at him sweetly, only asking a simple question to distract her thoughts," Do you know a man by Vincent perchance your Majesty? He's a very dear friend of mine, and I couldn't help but notice you look exactly like him!"

OOC: Woah post vomit.

MYRRINE

@Freyja

Outcast
Valentine
Freyja listened carefully to the girl's words, her expression shifting to one of surprise as she spoke. "So, you're saying I could become like you, then?" She asked, her interest suddenly piqued. As a filly, she had always dreamt of flying amongst the clouds - what foal hadn't? To do the impossible, to soar like a bird among the highest reaches of heaven, it was a frequent daydream of hers. Although the possibility of this dream coming true excited her, it also frightened her. So many things could go wrong. "Can you really fly? Or are they just for decoration?" She wanted to reach out and touch them, but that would certainly be rude to do without permission. For now, she just admired them from her little spot.

"The threshold is a difficult place to travel through the first time. Its walls don't let those through until they've decided where their destination is. Depending on where you want to go, I can certainly help you! There are four places to live in here." Myrrine said, and Freyja was a bit taken aback. Invisible walls? How was that even possible? She had never encountered that kind of... what was the proper word for it? Magic? Witchcraft? Perhaps it was just some natural force. "How does that work? How does it know when I've made up my mind? What if I don't want to live anywhere yet?" There were so many questions tumbling around inside her head, it was hard not to blurt them all out at once. She didn't want to overwhelm poor Myrrine.

Freyja was about to open her mouth and ask for more information when the sound of someone lumbering towards them caught her attention. Almost instinctively, she stepped towards Myrrine, swinging her head in the direction from which the sound originated. A few moments passed before a large, black stallion appeared through the mess of trees and underbrush, towering over the both of them with such superiority, Freyja almost felt as if she should bow to him. He introduced himself, his tone as commanding as his presence. He certainly was fit for the role of a king, she thought.

"Yes, a pleasure indeed, sir. My name is Freyja. Thank you for your kind offer. Perhaps I will take you up on it." Her gaze shifted to the large canine by his side, and she suddenly felt on edge. Wolves were common back home, and were known for being highly dangerous. This one looked nothing like a normal wolf, but the similarities were there, and she knew a predator when she saw one. "What is that?" she inquired, motioning with her nose towards the dog. She didn't mean to sound rude; it was an honest question.

@Archibald

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

He was massive, like one of the trees he stood between. He was a soldier, standing there straight and stoic and scarred. Loretta shuffled her paws some, watching as the women inspected him. You impress them. She observed carefully, a small smirk lighting her white features. First, the butterfly winged one turned to them and sputtered her questions. Loretta mused to her bonded that the child seemed familiar, and Archibald agreed. She must have been a member of the Edge when they were there, but the Dauntless took little interest in foals that did not desire to be warriors (when they were not his own) and the youth that plagued her face only made him decide that she had been a foal when he ruled the mists. Her question caught him off guard and he raised his chin some, along with his eyebrow. She knew of Vincent? His raised brow lowered and he nodded. "He is my brother." The private king looked then to the stranger, the one seeking a home in Helovia, and nodded once more.

"The Hidden Falls is a beautiful land. We have strong warriors and skilled masons, and we desire to fill in our ranks with healers and sneaks, as well as masons and warriors. Does any of that interest you?" He asked simply, his thunderous voice calm but quite emotionless. His molten eyes were hard, cold even, as well as he stood before them. The perfect soldier turned king, he was. He ruled this way, with his composition and intelligence running him and his strength and battle prowess only supporting him in getting what he and his family desired. The bay asked about Loretta and Archibald turned his head toward her. "A dog. She is my companion, bound together by our souls. Our partnership was ordained, she was a gift to me from the Earth God." He said matter of factly, tail giving a simple flick. The behemoth shifted his weight some, snow crunching beneath his hooves. "Was there companions or magic where you came from? It all runs rampant here in Helovia, it is hard to find a stranger without some sort of gift."

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS
Only the dead have seen the end of the war.
image credits

Watermel0nBob

Frejya seemed to have a lot of questions, and Myrrine was entirely okay with answering all of them, but it seemed their conversation had been cut short before she could. She listened to Archibald politely, nodding her head to acknowledge that she was listening, before her eyes went wide with realization. Vincent was related to Archibald? Why hadn't he told her sooner? She would certainly have to ask him later. She was also patient when the brute explained what they were searching for in the Falls, trying her best to remain objective though inside there was a streak of irritation. He seemed to know so much about those lands now, did that mean he cared for them more than he ever did the Edge? Were his loyalties to his Gods, or were they to the grounds in which he ruled?

Myrrine refused to make any comments though, she only smiled and turned to the bay sweetly, speaking once more in that cheerful tone of hers," Yes. The Edge is also greatly in need of members to help sustain their ranks. Everyone helps out wherever they can. It all depends on where you will feel most comfortable Miss Frejya." She paused for a moment, letting that sink in as she wanted to give her some time to think. Though they both were making it clear that she was welcome in either land, Myrrine didn't want to pressure her to choose; for there were two other options, and even if she didn't want to do that she could always decide to wander on her own.

" Should you want to explore first before moving into a herdland," she began softly while kindly looking up at her, " You're always welcome to do so. There are many neutral lands that hold great promise and wonderful horses. I met my best friend Vincent in one of them. Should you ever want a place to stay though, you're more than welcome to come with me or His Majesty." She left it at that, warm smile never fading from her inky lips as she watched Frejya pleasantly. She couldn't help but like her; they seemed to hold the same curiosity for this world and desire to learn, and perhaps if they were to become friends they could find these things out together! The thought only excited her more, her heart racing in hope that maybe, just maybe, Frejya would come home with her to the Edge where they could get to know each other more!

OOC:

MYRRINE

@Frejya

Outcast
Valentine
ever since the rain i've been living days too slow

Archibald was so forthright, part of Freyja found it refreshing, yet mostly, she thought it intimidating. Not even Dogun had been this way, so... well, callous was not the right word for it. Perhaps brash or audacious was a better fit. She was not quite sure how to respond to his question. "I-I'm not sure. We didn't have anything like that back home - masons, healers, sneaks, warriors. There was only a king and a queen, and everyone else was just.... they just were. There were no special ranks." Things were so different here. Would she be expected to learn all of these things? Her head felt as if it were going to start spinning with all this new information.

He spoke again, his thunderous voice washing over her, and Freyja shook her head in response. "N-no. No. No magic or companions. I'm not quite sure I believe in magic, really... where I am from, it was meant for children's fairy tales, nothing more. It doesn't seem real to me." She glanced at the dog, who had remained silent the entire time, shifting her weight from one side of her body to the other repeatedly. "Back there, your companion would be seen as a threat. Many would run from it - her. Sorry, I don't mean to be rude." She ducked her head, feeling embarrassed once more.

Once again, their offers were presented, and the bay felt pressured, as if she were being hastened to choose between them. It was a terribly tough decision to make. "I would like to have a place to call home, of course. I'm just not sure where I would fit best." She frowned. She didn't want to force herself to choose a home - she wanted a place where she felt she belonged. But in a place like this, she wasn't sure it was the wisest idea to remain a wanderer for long. Still, it was a hard decision to make; Myrrine had such a childlike innocence, a brightness and curiosity about her that drew Freyja in. Archibald, on the other hand, seemed stern and distant - she wasn't sure she wanted to live in a home with such an aloof king. Perhaps he would warm up later, but it was not a chance Freyja wanted to take.

"Your offers are both very kind," she began, turning her gaze on Myrrine, "I think I would like to go with you, dear. You remind me of someone I used to know, and I find it hard to say no." A gentle chuckle left her lips. Her languid smile never faltered as her attention shifted to Archibald, the imposing stallion whose very presence made her feel meek and shriveled. "I appreciate your offer as well. Perhaps we will see each other again, down the line. If not, it was a pleasure to meet you, sir." She dipped her head, the only subtle sign of respect she could force herself to perform.

So what happens now? She wondered. Was she supposed to follow Myrrine to the Edge? Would they stay and idly chat? Archibald didn't seem the type to waste away his time with pointless conversation, and in all honesty, Freyja was eager to leave. To see her new home. To find the place she belonged.

@Archibald
@Myrrine