the Rift

[OPEN] i've tried my hand at prayer

Persephone Posts: 45
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 hh :: 6 (ages in Orangemoon)
Alecto :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams ChaoticMelodies
this old world has brought me pain
               but there's hope for me again
I wander along the coastline, chewing thoughtfully on the peppermint provided to me by the Caretaker. The sharp taste floods my mouth, providing a distraction from the fear lingering despite the herbs I consumed a short while ago. Though I never would have been able to leave the Halcyon Flats without the calming, strengthening effects of the plants that Agnodice provided me, they do not completely remove my trepidation. Now that I am more in control of myself, I recognize that I am the only one who can overcome the paralysis that has held me in its grasp since I fell through the Rift. No one else, nor any drugs, can do that for me. Perhaps a shred of anxiety is healthy; how would one ever recognize the ups of life without the downs?

I am, overall, in a much better state of mind, and I take the time to gaze at my surroundings as I move in a general westward direction. The ocean lies to my left, lapping gently at the shoreline now that I have made my way beyond the flats. Its sound is soothing, and I find myself enthralled with the gulls and pelicans hunting offshore. A pod of dolphins leaps from the waves, almost too far out to see, and I stop for a moment to take in their grace and beauty. How free they look, flinging their bodies to the skies for no reason other than to fly, if only for a moment! How effortless it appears as they dance through the waves!

A gentle breeze caresses my hide, plucking at the long, salt-encrusted strands of hair that dangle from my neck. As the dolphins disappear into the distant horizon, I again begin my trek away from the rising sun. It cleared the horizon not so very long ago, and the light from behind me casts my shadow forward, reaching, stretching, searching (much more bravely than I, I might add). To my right, there is only sand; in the distance, I see a tinge of green, though I do not know if this is grassland or forest. I am not ready to leave the consistency of the ocean, so I do not turn. Eventually, I notice rocky outcroppings in the distance, growing steadily larger as I approach. I wonder if I ought to turn away, to make my way towards the greenery that ensures life for me; and yet still I walk forward, curious in spite of myself, braver from the herbs.

Before long, I come upon the entrance to a cave that descends into the earth. I pause at its mouth, peering into the darkness. Through the easy calm that flows through my veins, I begin to tense; I wring my tail, shifting my weight from side to side, cautiously flicking my ears back and forth. A small part of me realizes that I am ready to bolt away from the hole, to run until I collapse; but I find myself anchored firmly in place, carefully surveying my surroundings.
"Persephone speaks."
Persephone
Image by Xyroca

@Freyja - I apologize for how choppy this is - I have just adopted Persephone recently, so I am still getting used to her! :)
[Image: 5626e4bc4fe1a]
pixel by Kiara <3

Please tag Persephone in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.
Persephone always goes by the alias "Cora."

Want to plot with Persephone? Visit her plot page here!

Freyja Posts: 15
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3 :: Nine years
Valentine
these lofty thoughts are killing me
preoccupied with what i could be</style>

Freyja had been feeling adventurous, and had wandered out of the Edge as dawn approached, letting her hooves guide here where they may. Helovia had new surprises around every twist and turn, something new always catching the sabino mare off-guard. She had seen a girl with butterfly wings, the largest stallion she'd ever met in her life, and learned that magic might actually be a real thing, but every day that passed, there was always more to be learned, to be seen. It was truly incredible.

This particular morning, she found herself wandering along the edge of a forest, the waves of the ocean murmuring softly as she made her way farther inland. She expected to be alone, but as she approached what she thought was just a large group of boulders, her gaze settled on the figure of another. Oh. Freyja blinked, wondering if what she was seeing was real.

This horse... she was the embodiment of a perfect sunrise, all soothing pinks and dusty purples and the purest white Freyja had ever seen. Truly breathtaking. The bay might have felt a twinge of jealousy; no one should ever be that beautiful, it was simply unfair to the rest of them. But alas, the vision of a mare stood before her, and Freyja wondered if she was open to a bit of conversation. She had never been good at making new friends, choosing to keep her distance most of the time, but this was an opportunity she could not miss. Perhaps there was more to this girl than met the eye.

She approached with a gentle, "hello," and a warm smile, her blue eyes roaming over the girl's face as she came to a stop next to her. "What do you think is down there?" She asked, peering alongside her into the gaping mouth of the cavern, wondering what kind of beasts or treasure could lay in its depths. She found herself quite curious, but like her new companion, could not seem to move herself forward, to take those first steps inside.

"I have never been in a cave before. Do you think there might be treasure inside?" A feeble attempt at small talk, really. Freyja wasn't sure what else she should be talking about as they both stared into the abyss before them. Lovely weather we're having, yes? did not seem appropriate. Chewing the inside of her lip, the bay mare turned to look into the other's face, her smile returning as she introduced herself. "My name is Freyja."

((ooc: no please excuse this pathetic post, I don't know why I had to force it out. Hopefully I'll get back into the flow next time <3))

@Persephone

Persephone Posts: 45
Outcast
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.0 hh :: 6 (ages in Orangemoon)
Alecto :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams ChaoticMelodies
this old world has brought me pain
               but there's hope for me again
The entrance to the caves yawns widely in front of me. I shift anxiously from left to right, unsure and uncomfortable. I don't have any particular urge to descend into the darkness, but somehow, I cannot bring myself to leave. If I stray from the coast line, I will be lost - and I am not ready to lose the only direction I have found to go. I do not have a destination in mind, and the pointless wandering terrifies me - at least with the sea as my guide, I was able to imagine that it would lead me somewhere. I glance to the distant forests, heart hammering in my chest. The herbs are wearing off. I must make a decision, and make it soon, or I know that I will not stray from this spot.

A voice startles me, making me jump and squeal, dancing sideways away from its source. Realizing that the newcomer had only meant to greet me, I swallowed and settled, laughing nervously, as though to send my embarrassment away with the sound. "Oh, h-hello," I stammer, attempting a smile. It works, to a degree: it is friendly, but fearful, for I don't know how to make it otherwise. "It's awfully dark in there," I point out fretfully, eyeing the black hole that is the cavern entrance. It seems to be getting darker by the minute (though it is probably my imagination, I admit). One, two, three... I begin to count, silently, as I shift my weight from side to side. By the time I reach ten, I feel much calmer.

"If there's treasure, don't you think something might be guarding it?" I can see that there is adventure in this mare, just waiting to be set free; but, unfortunately for her, she has stumbled across the wrong horse for explorations. I have no desire to go into that cave. In fact, the forest that had been so daunting a few moments ago was starting to look more and more inviting. "I am Cora," I added, accepting her introduction and returning my own alias. "It is nice to meet you, Freyja. I'm sorry to be so fretful - I have only just begun to explore this land, and it frightens me." I smile, bashful, worry gnawing at the back of my mind. She should know that I am not an explorer, not one to invite on her exciting exploits. I am perfectly happy out here, thank you very much.

Still, I almost wish that I wasn't.
"Persephone speaks."
Persephone
Image by Xyroca

@Freyja
[Image: 5626e4bc4fe1a]
pixel by Kiara <3

Please tag Persephone in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.
Persephone always goes by the alias "Cora."

Want to plot with Persephone? Visit her plot page here!