the Rift

[PRIVATE] In the dawn

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz
By the precepts of her purity

Time had come and gone and Frostfall had officially taken over from the wicked rainstorms, leaving the rust-leaking trees naked and bare in a white-ish world. But not here; not in the Dragon’s Throat, because for one: It was still too soft, this so called Frostfall, and second: There simply were no trees — But one, of course. Maren watched its silence stance from afar as the cold ocean winds, filled with the land’s dust, flushed her cheeks and pinched her skin as if telling her it was still too early to be roaming the sands. She looked at it in its sober, grayed state in the scarce morning light, but her eyes didn’t take long to sink down, in order to see the figure underneath it; a silhouette framed by solitude as it watched out over the oasis. Or maybe that was simply a reflection of herself. She didn’t know. She just knew somewhere in the back of her mind that it would be nice for them both to not stand in a lonesome pulsing of the wind any longer.

Her legs gave way for a slow trot through the mull sand in order to close the gap. At some point she became aware of it being the Sunspear. She realized it was somewhat fitting and for a moment she wondered what it was, besides the pressing gusts, what it was that made her go.

Besides having seen each other around, standing next to each other at few occasions, they had never formally met. And wasn’t that strange? For the positions they both held? As the Sunspear stood for the final protection of the herd, Maren devised a bridge between them and their God. How she had held herself on meetings had been admirable, but did she respect everything Megaera stood for? How could she, when Maren’s vision of her was so incomplete. But a bone in a bucket filled with grains, taken by the wind so easily. Only the fact that Gaucho had chosen her had Maren think she was indeed capable. Isn’t that wrong that I barely know her. It was something she took to heart and felt a bit bothered by, weirdly enough (For of course she shouldn’t have cared). Next to that, it was officially a part of Maren’s job description to give council for those who asked and she knew she would very much enjoy giving such, but both the Sultana and Sultan had never done so. She still remembered the removal of the land bridge as if it was yesterday and it made her sigh into the wind, letting a trail of mist sprout from her nose. She watched it almost instantly whiff into nothing as she moved closer in her quiet pace. Maybe they are simply too stubborn to ask my advice for anything they would do, anyway, with or without my blessing. They could simply be too stubborn and saw that asking would simply be a waste of both their precious time.

Maren chewed the insides of her cheeks. Hmmm… she pondered softly to the air while the sun rose quietly beside her. Then again, did she need to overthink this? Should she care about something they apparently didn't? Still, there was a lot to learn for not just her, for anyone; so much unknown. And, in a world like this, mistakes were so easily made and she knew that more than anyone.

But then the diviner had suddenly bypassed the distance and the winged Sunspear stood there in her luminary gleam, so she took down her pace. “Megaera,” the tiger mare greeted while slightly dropping her feathered head in respect as the golden clouds of dust settled behind her silencing movements. But she had not come here specifically to bow her head. As the wind caressed her ivory cheeks she took in the air around them and put her back hoof on a rest; subtly letting the Sultana know she might be here for a bit longer than she might expect. Or, in any case longer than it would take to transmit a report on the recent patrols, which, spoiler alert; didn't brought that much exciting of news to get up early in the morning for. So to conclude; that was not why she stood here. “Do you have time?” She questioned in a outlandish tune, her silent golden eyes in search of Megaera’s dark gaze. In search for whatever there was for her to find, perhaps the reasonw hy she did, or something that could perhaps illuminate her mind’s arbitrary tongue. Would you have time to not be alone, together?

Maren
/ image

@Megaera!
Please tag me 

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine

M E G A E R A
her fight and fury is fiery
oh but she loves
like sleep to the freezing

There was something different about the stillness of an early morning; one like this with the rising sun slinging long shadows and rosy glows but not yet high enough to chase away the chill of night that still clung to the air. Any other time, and Megaera would have thrown herself into one activity or another, hating to feel still or stagnant (between the herd and her three children she always found plenty to do), but in these early mornings she let herself be still, even if just for a few moments. Asavvi and Nizho still slept, and so too did most of the herd, when the Sultana took her place beneath the Blood Tree. From there she could see the whole of the oasis and beyond into the dunes; there she could take a minute to thank the gods and her good luck for all she had, all she loved, before setting herself to the day’s work.

The soft sounds of hooves in sand tugged Megaera from her grateful contemplation and her eager eyes swept over to find the source. She had half expected to see Einarr coming towards her—they often touched base with each other here—but it seemed he was still with the twins and instead it was the mysterious diviner that approached.

Meg didn’t know much about the mare who wore her wings so strangely. She’d seen her at meetings and across the sands many a time but the closest they’d ever come to an understanding was a silent stand, together with Ampere and Aithniel, when the Moon Goddess had brought her set of Riftians through and into Helovia. They hadn’t spoken then, but it had meant a great deal for Meg to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with her desert women. Now however, a mild guilt woke to poke at her insides at the sight of the striped mare. The Sultana had been making an effort to know her herd better but she’d yet to seek out Maren.

It hadn’t been a conscious decision, and if Meg would have taken the time to dig to the root of it, it would not really have been Maren than she had been wanting to avoid, but the Sun God that she represented. He had given her a quest, and it was well over a year since that day at the Heart. Seasons had shifted, Mordecai had grown, and Meg had created two new beautiful lives, but still she had not made the pilgrimage to seek her god at his volcanic shrine. How was she supposed to know that she had truly learned the lesson the Sun had been trying to impart? What if she went and he was disappointed in her progress? What if he was angry she had taken so long?

“Maren.” the Sultana retuned the greeting with a nod of her own and wondered vaguely if the Diviner would know about her quest in the first place. Even if she does that’s no good reason to avoid her. the bay told herself and forced herself to relax in spite of the nagging guilt of her unfinished task. ”Do you have time?” There was a little part of Megaera that wanted to say no, the part that eyed the mare warily for a brief second before grace and good judgement could take it’s rightful place. She had a responsibility to do the best for her herd—Meg had never taken her title lightly—and that meant putting their need above selfishness, above her own petty whims. She loved them, truly, and not a single one deserved less than her best.

When she met the golden gaze and smiled, it held a genuine warmth. She was curious about what might have prompted the diviner to seek her out, but was assured that the tiger mare would not have settled herself so if there had been an emergency. She nodded in assent, and mirrored the woman’s posture, letting her own wings rest comfortably on her back. “Of course. What is it that I can do for you?”
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz
By the precepts of her purity

The arguments in her mind fell quiet once more as the dust settled. The Sunspear did not seem to mind the company and greeted her back, yet did not seem to want to welcome her diviner with a warm, cozy hug. Not that she had expected that (or had wanted that). How could she, when the girl was probably so used to issues being made known and the tense silences that followed? Maren was happy where she stood; her rank, for silence in the higher Gardens was only a good sign. Tense? It was never. Or not for her at least. Issues? Everyone had some of those one way or another.  

After the Sultana’s approval Maren let her hoofs sink into the sand for a bit, merely gazing at the peeping Frostfall Sun, which light had been starting to cast its still glow over the herd-land, throwing blue shade behind the rocky imperfections of the desert, leaving the rolling dunes in a sea of white gold and gloom. Maren watched it as the wind soared its route around them and got reminded of something she hadn’t thought about in some time. Having felt the desert vibe, she felt like sharing, so she did it the way she liked doing so. Spontaneously. Out of the blue. “Once I was in a land where the mornings were holy, for the light of the sun polished everything with its gold.” She remembered, taking her time for turning her memories to words while watching the horizon in the east. “As the Sun rose from behind the Rim the equines hummed melodies of rebirth, prosperity and wholeness, but instead of saying the words to the song they thought of them in their heads. They believed that the light would merge more fluently within the prayers without the words. ”A river finds its destination more smoothly without the rocks”, they told me when I discovered there were in fact words to the song.” She smiled for a moment, recalled how she had thought that nonsense at the time. “They sang the hymns of their religion together until the gold of dawn washed away into the light of day, for their prayers to be taken by the rays and to be brought back to the Sun for when it sank behind the Rim again when nightfall came.”

In all the discord and misery that had befallen the lands of Helovia in the last couple of months, all of a sudden there had been no time; no time at all to tell the stories that stringed together. There had been so little time for anything, anything but the time for worrying about the chaos and destruction that had lurked in the new lands. It almost seemed like, without her knowing, it had swallowed her whole. It still swallows me whole, she reminded herself as the last words about the customs of a dying civilization of the I' Anar Lindar left her lips. Perhaps it was another one of the reasons why the diviner had been looking for the Sunspear, for if Maren’s determination was up for a boost, hers would perhaps prove to be as well. It couldn’t be easy, keeping the herd together in dark times. Yet, she wasn’t here for anything that specific, either. Or at least not this time.

She didn’t expect she would have to explain to Megaera the reason for her joining this morning stance. Deep in her soul she must've already known that they had been needing a conversation; a talk about nothing and yet something about opening themselves (herself) up about trust: Thát what she had naturally given the mare the day she became Sultana.

I came to check up on it.

Naturally, she repeated — wondered in thought, chewed on the word, but all there really was was the dust on her tongue. Because is it? Natural for me to do so? The last one she had given her loyalty and trust to had been Gaucho and that was now two years ago. Perhaps it was something others would say she would need to do more often, yet she wouldn’t. Because if she did… Then it just wouldn’t mean anything anymore at all. “You know,” she spoke in her outlandish, yet clear accent. To the wind; to the oasis, forgetting she wasn’t speaking to the sands but to the flesh and blood that was here to hold it together. Maybe it is too early after all, her mind murmured before turning her burgundy shaded eyes back to her Sultana. ”Even though we aren't that familiar with each other, you should know that... I trust you,” the Diviner confessed truthfully, simply because that was how it was. “If you ever find yourself in need of my help —”  Even if you don't know me that well. “...My thoughts are here to enlighten yours, would you ever require it.”

Having said that, she turned her eyes to the oasis once more and sighed deep. Her body sounding content about finally letting out the dusty, but still so tight air to make space for peace of mind. Perhaps it had simply been sitting there for seasons overdue. Maybe, she vaguely concluded after letting another breath fuel the winter winds. “I guess I just wished for you to know that.”

Maren
/ image

@Megaera
Please tag me 

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine

M E G A E R A
her fight and fury is fiery
oh but she loves
like sleep to the freezing

It hadn’t been fair of her to avoid the Diviner because of her own nagging embarrassment, she knew that. There were—there had always been—parts of Meg’s brain that could be logical, even analytical, but somehow in her make up those parts were never given much strength when it came to influencing the mare’s actions. She ran on emotion, noon her gut, and more than a handful of times that had led her astray. When she had first met Gaucho, her gut had told her to fight, and now he was her mentor; when she had met Einarr, her gut had abled him a stranger to be driven from her home, and now her was her husband and more was an integral part of protecting that home. Had she her gut been wrong in avoiding Maren so long?

Megaera waited for the diviner to start elucidating on some sort of problem, to give news of some rift in the herd or trouble with outsiders… There had to be something wrong, (even of the gentle tiger had only come to scold Meg for dragging her hooves). Why else would she have sought out the Sultana so early if not to complain in some fashion? But Maren did not. She stood quietly for a few moments, with an enviable serenity in the morning splendor. Meg followed the direction of her eyes, expecting to find tragedy, but being proven wrong in that too. There was only the sunrise, and she felt the tension start to ease out of her muscles. If it had been urgent, Maren would have started immediately, but she if the little wings seemed content to watch the sunrise without haste and Meg fell into the spell of that golden glow right along with her.

She heard the words when they began, let them wash over her just like the reaching rays of warm sunlight and by the end of the other mare’s recollection she was smiling too. “What a lovely thought…a song to usher in the morning.” She murmured it, still watching the slow ascent of the sun. She thought of her prayers; the ones she had spoken to the evening, and they did not seem so beautiful or simple. The last time she had stood vigil at the diviner’s fire it had been trough the dark night. “I don’t think my prayers were ever so joyous…I watch the sun rise sometimes and instead of being thankful I worry that it won’t be there the next morning.” She mumbles that thought, almost unconsciously to herself, lulled into a quiet reassurance by the sunrise and the strange woman beside her.

Maren spoke again and this time it pulled the sultana’s full attention back to her. What a strange creature. She thought, though not unkindly, taking in once again the strange tones in the tiger’s voice and the odd placement of those tiny little wings. These oddities were of course nothing to the mare’s statement.

”I trust you.”

Meg blinked, expression inscrutable, as her dark eyes met the golden gaze and held it for a moment. She had said it so simply, so utterly without guile or flattery that it took the sultana quite by surprise. Had Meg ever given anything of the kind to a near-stranger? Had she ever been given it? Perhaps once, and not in so many words when she and Cera had stood shoulder to shoulder in defiance of the wrath of Gods… But she and this mare had run no such gauntlet together and so it took Meg the space of several breaths to do anything more than stare.

Could she know the value that Meg would find in those simple words? Worth more than any riches was even the smallest vote of confidence when Meg herself had grown so used to worrying over proving herself worthy both the position she had been given. Maren turned away again to watch the sunset, and perhaps the break in eye contact let the lump forming in the Sultana’s throat begin to loosen. “Thank you, truly.” it was a quiet acknowledgment, but rang with fervent sincerity.

Black eyes turned once again to the east before they slid closed, and Meg smiled again. The sun, the ever-blessed sun, seemed to cut even through the chilled winter winds to warm her face and her heart, and she let herself stand quietly in the company of the diviner for several long moments “I am sorry about that…Sorry we haven’t been been better acquainted, I mean.” and there is was, that need to confess her faults. It always bubbled out of Megaera eventually, and in recent time it had usually been directed at Gwaihir, though the Eagle was always well enough in tune with Meg to make the confessional strictly necessary. But the mare found it helpful, airing her errors and her worries so she could move past them, even if all the feedback she received was a friendly ear. “It was more the Sun that I have been avoiding in a way, and it seems that as his Diviner I started avoiding you too.” She sighed and with the words and excess air came the weight of her uncertainties. “I don’t know if I've learned the lesson he meant for me and not sure I could bare to be a disappointment” Her smile towards the sun was a half-hearted thing pulled out with a little chuckle; self deprecative to cover the very real concern.

@Maren
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::