[PRIVATE] Under a winter sky

Calder Posts: 23
Absent Abyss atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 6 (Birdsong) HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Kiki
calder
Hold back the river, so I
Can stop for a minute and be by your side
With winter’s arrival, the snow in the Basin had been constant.  Thankfully it wasn’t thick, heavy snow – but light, fluffy snow.  The wind from the mountains had a bitter chill, but it didn’t bother the large unicorn.  He’d been through worse.  The winters back on the mountain had been extreme.  All of his people were well equipped and well accustomed to handle such conditions.

It seemed that many in the Basin had learned to avoid the weather by sleeping in caves and such, safely tucked away from the elements.  The idea of sleeping in a cave made Calder uncomfortable.  Perhaps it was nothing more than claustrophobia that kept him from conforming to this norm.  But he suspected it went a little deeper than that.  He was most comfortable when he could see the stars above him.  When he could hear the wind rustling the leaves in the evergreens.  He could only find peace when the sounds of the night echoed in his ears.  That and the thought of being buried beneath the earth still weighed heavy in his mind.  He had seen the earth come alive and reclaim the land, taking his herdmates and his family with it and he wanted to be able to see the sky until the earth came to claim him too.  He didn’t want to feel buried before it was his time.  

He just couldn’t help but think, but hope, that he still had something to live for. 

The great brute let out a soft huff, his warm breath hanging in thick clouds in the cold air for a moment before dissipating into the night. The sun had long since slipped beneath the horizon and the moon hung proudly in the sky.  He found a place not too far off from the hot springs, where the snow wasn’t as thick and the tall trees and the sheer mountain face largely broke up the bitter wind.  He could see the snow swirling out in the open, and he imagined being caught out in the open would make for an uncomfortable night. 

He put his back to the wind, and with more elegance than you’d think was possible for a creature his size, the stallion folded his dark legs and settled into the snow.  The moon was bright tonight, and the light against the snow seemed to illuminate the Basin from the ground up.  It was quite a pretty picture.  He could get used to living here, he supposed. And with another soft sigh, he settled in, ready for a peaceful night’s sleep.

image credits

@Elspeth
Please tag Calder in all posts.
Force & magic are permitted but please check before inflicting severe and/or permanent damage.
Pixel by Sourful

Elspeth Posts: 40
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 7 years
Sarah
Elspeth
I had slept through my first few days in the Basin, much to my annoyance. Here I was, in a strange land - not truly knowing those I was with - and I fell asleep without so much as another blink in any of their directions. Safe against the wind, at least, I had curled up on one of the caves and let my body rest. I knew I was exhausted, but the sheer weight of the exhaustion surprised me. I woke once, in the middle of the night, due to hunger but had found my way back to the caves just as quick as I could to resume my sleep.

But as the day turned into night again, I was no longer tired enough to sleep through the cold that was seeping into my bones. The chill was incredible, even out of the wind, and it was no wonder - I woke up to find that I had slept too close to the entrance of the cave and been dusted with snow. Snorting angrily, I quickly scrambled to my feet and shook off the offending flakes. Now fully awake, there was no denying it - I was fucking cold and there was not going to be any slipping back into sleep for me. My winter coat hadn’t grown in enough for me to be prepared for this weather and I searched my brain for any information from my companions that could tell me what I should do but either they had not given me proper instructions or I had not listened when I should have at the information given.

An awful lot had happened that day.

Thinking that if I left the cave I could at least stretch my legs and work up some body heat through exercise, I braced myself and left the shelter. Although the wind was not as bitter as I expected, it was still chilling and my muscles were tense as I picked up a slow, easy gait. A trot might have warmed me up faster but I wasn’t sure I could trust my legs so much through the snow and the night especially after such a long slumber.

It was peaceful in the Basin and I would have found it beautiful too, if I were not so focused on not freezing to death. How did they stand it? I was just thinking about how I might have been better going off to the World’s Edge with Caenan, as much as he had frightened me, when ahead in the snow I spotted a familiar figure. It was hard not to notice him - Calder stood out with his sheer size and dappled skin even in the night. I watched in fascination and growing annoyance as he lowered himself into the snow, right out in the open, and looked for all the world as though he were preparing himself for a nap.

Quickly deciding that if I couldn’t get a good night’s sleep, neither would he, I marched right over. Without so much as a hello, came to a stopped square in front of him - golden eyes flashing as I look down at the dappled stallion. “I don’t believe you mentioned just how fucking cold it gets here. Though I don't suppose it bothers you, since you're out here sleeping in the snow!” It wasn't really anger in my voice, but the annoyance was plain and gave an edge to her trembling voice.
give me the sun that shone
Image Credit
table by Sevin

Calder Posts: 23
Absent Abyss atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 6 (Birdsong) HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Kiki
calder
Hold back the river, so I
Can stop for a minute and be by your side
He hadn’t been expecting to see anyone else this late.  He certainly hadn’t been expecting to see her.  But there she stood all browns and creams and moonlight.  She was fierce in her stance; her words.  She was beautiful in all of her fury.  Thankfully, Calder knew better than to smile.  However, as amusing as she was in all of her fury and frustration, the big dappled stallion didn’t like seeing the little mare in distress.  Especially when he had played a role in her coming to the Basin in the first place.  He didn’t want her to be uncomfortable here, especially when it was evident that Elspeth had demons from her not too distant past.

“I’m afraid it’s bound to be cold no matter where you find yourself this time of year,” he said, with a note of apology in his rumbling voice even though he knew that the climate of the Basin was nothing he could really offer apology for.  Still, he felt something akin to guilt nonetheless.  And her certainly didn’t like seeing her unhappy.  He let out a soft sigh and beckoned her closer with a gesture of his great head.

“Ah, lass. I dinna have the power to change the weather, but I can help ye keep warm,” he managed, this time with a more encouraging note – as if trying to change the mare’s mind.  He moved aside in invitation, offering the shivering mare the spot that he had already warmed with his body head, while keeping his own body between the aforementioned available spot and the wind. He imagined that he should be nothing if not a good windbreak.  Uncertain if the mare would take him up on his offer, he continued.

“Most of the Basin-folk have taken to sleepin’ in caves and such to try to avoid the cold, but they get damn and drafty and I’m not too fond of the idea myself.  But the place I came from was far colder here, I was lucky that it wasn’t much of an adjustment.  Well, the climate at least,” he offers her a lopsided grin at his words. However he’s also given her some information about himself that he hopes might make her more comfortable.  She’s not the only outsider to this place – to these lands.  There’s no judgment in his eyes. 

“You’ll adjust, Elspeth, just gotta keep ye warm till then.”

image credits

@Elspeth
Please tag Calder in all posts.
Force & magic are permitted but please check before inflicting severe and/or permanent damage.
Pixel by Sourful

Elspeth Posts: 40
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 7 years
Sarah
Elspeth
I snort at his apologetic words about the time of the year, though I hardly keep my response there. “I damn well know that it’s winter but honestly, I didn’t realize we were going to the fucking north pole!” I had lived through winters before - but nothing like this one. And it had only just begun!

I’m caught off guard by his next words and his movements as he shifted to make room for me in the spot he had been lying in. The fury in me dies as quickly as it had flared up, finding no kindling in this gesture. I do nothing but blink at him for a moment, my golden eyes watching him steadily. I know I’m trying to find some way to turn down this offer, to find a flaw or a trap in it, but I’ve got nothing. It worked, him telling me a little bit about his home - I find some comfort in the reminder that I’m not the only one who has found themselves here, although I’m annoyed at how lucky he was about the lack of adjustment.

“Alright.” The word came quietly, a contrast to the fury I had blazed with moments ago. I may be stubborn but I also wasn’t suicidal or willing to go crawl back into the cave I had been sleeping in and nestle next to the cold rocks. I move slowly, both from the cold and out of caution - it felt like every single nerve on my body was on edge. At the slightest movement from him I would flinch but gradually, carefully, I lower myself to the ground beside him. I’m intensely aware of the lack of space between us as I curl my legs up underneath me and settle down - as though there was electricity in the slight gap, dancing between our skins. It keeps me from relaxing completely - my muscles are tense and I'm afraid that I'll need to leap up at a moment's notice. But then I start to feel the difference in temperature - whether that was because of the break in the wind or my own imagination I couldn’t say.

I hope he was right, about just needing time to adjust, although I was confused about whether I wanted to take that time. To avoid thinking about it I quickly ask another question - my voice still quiet, the trembling already less than it had been. “Was it far from here, your home?” As I ask, I turn my head so I’m looking at him - forgetting for the moment that I had interrupted sleep and the polite thing to do would be to let him rest and extending a cautious invitation to tell me more.
give me the sun that shone
Image Credit
table by Sevin

@Calder