the Rift

[OPEN] to trust a serpent [welcoming]

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty

The Elephant could not remember the last time such tension had existed between his old friend and himself. Theirs had been such a long friendship— he had not even known it began when they met, they both had been such young colts. Aji had been so different then he and his brother— all slender legs and delicate face. Hasovir and himself were sturdier colts, curtesy of their father’s genes. And Aji had been so mischievous compared to the brawny, plain fun the brothers shared. In short, it had been an immediate and easy friendship— because of (or despite) their obvious opposites.

But today, on the long trek back from the Threshold (though what was such a trek compared to the vast plains of Dorobo?), tension radiated from the great stallion— and, being so large, it was palpable. Perhaps it was the time spent apart. Perhaps it was that he never expected to see his friend again (did he feel guilt at that?). Perhaps it was the encounter with Rexanna and Rein (that most assuredly unsettled the man).

It was likely all these things.

Regardless, the stallion still attempted to carry a conversation, asking after Dorobo, the Makutano, if mutual friends survived the Fall. This possibly was a poor topic, for it only added to the King’s tension and guilt.

Finally, upon breaching the glass-laden borders of the Edge, he paused his stride and sighed. “This is the Edge. The glass on the ground is remnants of a wall— it fell before I arrived. Though we’ve been attempting to pick them up, and replace with other defenses…” he trailed off, continuing his sweeping pace, tirelessly pushing to the cliffs.

He walked in silence now, mulling over his thoughts. He had been shocked and exuberant to see is friend, but now— now what was he doing? Breaking through the trees and halting at the awe-inspiring drop, he turned his head towards his friend (who hopefully was still alongside him, despite his quiet mood).

“I hadn’t told Rexanna of Mara— only that they died,” a confession, stark and abrupt, was quietly snatched from his lips by the cool sea breeze. “It was so easy, so quick, with her… like fate gave a second chance,” his low voice fades— he had forgotten (missed), the easy ear of his friend.
Tembovu & Kiuaji

ooc| The belated welcoming of @Kiuaji . Come enjoy the poison & sass ;]

Please tag Tembovu.

Kiuaji Posts: 40
Absent Abyss atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 9 HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Matanye :: African Crowned Eagle :: None Nova

The tension was thick, so think Kiuaji could hazard a guess he could step into thin air and be carried by it. Their opposite compositions with bridges of similarity had made for a magnificent, strong bond that had stood the test of time, from colts to young stallions and then into their own pathways of life. It had even stood the test of a crippling war, had he not stood at the left hand of Tembovu through it all? Had he not risked everything to siphon information, to ruin and divert so that the mighty warrior may have the carcass of Makutano as his trophy?

So why, for the dead and departed gods of Dorobo, had it been a mare, who had fractured what could of been the reunion that seemed destined to never happen. A pretender to Mara's legacy of love, a banshee who wore a hide that should of been in the hands of someone more deserving. The bile in his throat tastes acidic, but he is a creature who is used to such taste, afterall Dorobian politics were often measured on well you could hold your tongue and keep your stomach in check.

Long legs had carried him swift and elegantly over the long road back to the World's Edge, head held high and tail fanned like a silken trail behind him. Every ounce of him bled poise and composure, his voice no less honey on his tongue as he replied to Tembovu's stunted attempt of conversation. The survival was a sore topic, Tsavo, Ada and himself had all felt the after ripples of the storm as it's final waves had crashed against the mountain they had toppled. Kiuaji leaving Dorobo had cost him a heavy blow to his pride, but his self preservation had won out in the end. He would not deny his old friend the pleasure of his voice and the answers he sought, he was a petty serpent, but not that petty.

"A rather romantic thought, a glass wall to keep out strangers." He snorted, taking a moment to examine the shattered remnants of the wall closely. Sharp it may be, but brittle and oh so transparent. Wasn't the whole point of a wall to keep people from getting in and see what you were doing? "I'm sure you no doubt have some suitable replacements in mind, after all, you are rather seasoned at points of war."

The poisoner had lapsed into silence after that, a pace behind his best friend as he let him lead. Glittered orbs were steeled and fixated on the path ahead of him until they came to the clearing and a sharp drop. He could almost see why Tembovu had come here, and been raised to a kingly mantle. Beautiful but dangerous at every turn, if one did not look closely at the mist. In the end, he stopped beside his old friend and tilted his head enough to peer at him with both eyes. One of them was going to crack first, launch themself into a blurted fit of words and comments about the source of their tension.

Turned out it was Tembovu who cracked first.

His elephantine friend explained, and he listened, ringed ears pressed forward to catch each word that fell from his dark muzzle. Fate was a questionable mistress at best, and to hear that Tembovu had seen Rexanna as some kind of boon pulled a twisted and bitter smile from the poisoner. "Bov, you know as well as I do that chasing fate is like chasing smoke, chasing ghosts of old scars that have only just faded from pink to grey. It never leads anywhere good, it never leads anywhere whole." The words are softened, hushed as he turned his head toward the sheer cliffs and the horizon. Kiuaji had never loved in an intimate sense, his heart was as fickle as the sea and twice as fleeting as the tide. However, he knew loss well, the intricate feelings that came fast and furious in it's echos and he knew the scales of fate most intimately. A hundred times he had stared into the pools of his own reflection and despaired, chased ideas and ruined what was left between his rib cage to nothing more than dust and rot.

"Though I'm no expert in the ways of the heart, I'm pretty sure if you tell any mare that she looked like your true love, it would scorn her beyond fire and fury." The joke is slipped in to help ease the tension and seriousness of the atmosphere. "I know I would be terribly hurt if you compared my beauty to another."

Another question worried his white marked lips for a second and he sighed. "That colt she had at her heel, Rein, that is a child sired by another, is it not?" If she loved you, my dear Bov, would she have carried another stallion's child? Wouldn't that child be yours? Wouldn't she be her? The lingering end of the question turns to breath on the sea breeze, best left unsaid verbally and he reached out to gently touch the muscled neck of his old, veteran friend. The poisoner hoped that the small token of contact would let him know that Kiuaji was ready to support him.

"Who is she, exactly?" What is she?

talk

Credits: Image by Littlewillow-Art @ DA
[Image: kiuajipixel_by_abbie1234_d9nzm2x_by_drea...9nzm7u.png]

"let me shatter your frame of mind, my dear"

force & magic permitted on Kiuaji at all times
with the exception of maiming and death.

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty

He is relieved to find his friend alongside him (had there really been any question?), in the face of his brooding. Though he watched the bitter smile and the profile of the poisoner closely as he spoke softly— hushed truths of chasing fates deftly swept away by salty zephyrs. In that, the Elephant could trust his friend; though his lips may weave fantastical lies and hooves may concoct delicate poisons, to the Elephant he was a shadowed sounding board. Someone to tether his lofty aspirations of ‘justice’ and enable the darker face of retribution.

So he watches and listens to the hushed words, knowing the heavy truth beneath them. He is right, chasing fate had not lead anywhere good. “But Mara…” only the deepness of his voice allowed the quiet words to be heard— and they were nothing more than an idea. Because the giant knew that, alongside his friend, the impression would be understood. Aji had known Mara as long as Tembovu had, so to face her ghost…

It had been cruel of fate.

The Elephant had not been able to help himself, or his attraction— even Aji had not been able to curtail his immediate, visceral reaction to Rexanna (though it had been one of distrust and dislike, rather than lust). A soft sight escaped his nostrils, mirroring the serpent to turn his eyes to the sea. An ear flicked sideways, catching the half-hearted joke that slipped between them.

“Worry not, your beauty cannot be compared to any other’s, Aji,” the low rumble of his voice was colored with half-hearted humor— though he appreciated the joke he slipped between the tension. No other would have been able to draw such a humored response from the Elephant King while talking of his dead Mara.

Though the humor flees in the wake of the next questions that fall like lead between them. “…that is a child sired bay another…? Who is she exactly?” The King’s ears titled back, head bowed and eyes closed in a lingering blink as a long breath escaped him. He felt the gentle, velvet pressure of Aji’s muzzle against his thick neck and he leaned into it. It was welcome, a reminder of unwavering friendship.

“She is a woman who promised herself to me while ensnared by another. This pushed me atop another mare— Nyx, the General of the Edge— which hurt her greatly. So we parted, and apparently she did not waste time ridding herself of me by having a child by another (yes, Rein is sired by another man. The priest of the Basin, I believe). But, still, I am not rid of her,” his low rumble was impassive, until it turned bitter with his last sentence. Only in the comfort of Aji’s company would he allow such acerbity to stain his tone towards another. Only with him would he allow the just facade, the politically correct mask, to fall away.

“She is a Thief, not only of men’s hearts, but for the Aurora Basin.”
Tembovu & Kiuaji

Please tag Tembovu.