the Rift

[OPEN] Crash Course

Hera Posts: 50
Outcast
Filly :: Unicorn :: 17.1 :: 3 Months
nickel
THE SUN DOES NOT ABANDON THE MOON TO DARKNESS

As time moves forward things start to get a little bit easier for the young filly. While she still misses her mother greatly she had come to accept that she was not coming back. The cause is still a mystery that she hopes one day to solve but for now she chooses to focus on the here and now. The nights had been getting colder as the season of white continues to get longer, even spraying more of the cold wet fluff from the sky at them. Where did it all come from? What was it? Would it ever go away? So many questions yet only enough brainpower to remember a handful of exciting things at once. Right now her questions were forgotten as the painted filly enjoyed playing with the slide that she had made.

It had all started off as a complete accident when she had slipped on some ice and slid down the length of the small embankment. At first she had felt stupid for not somehow seeing the invisible force before it took her down, but soon she realized that sliding was quite fun! Backing herself up a number of steps from the top she prepared herself to see how long she could manage to stay on her feet for. GO! Galloping forward with a goofy grin the filly throws herself into where she now knows the ice to be, giggling as her hooves flail madly trying to stay underneath her. Most of the time she ends up falling on her butt but one time she had made it halfway down before she had fallen!

Shaking herself off from her latest run in with the snowbank the filly picks herself back up and eagerly tries to bound back up the hill. More of the invisible slippery stuff seems to find her again sending her back down to where she had just started from. Snorting to clear the snow from her nostrils the girl sits where she had landed to regain a bit of her energy before trying this again.

WORDS: ### || TAGGED: @Tembovu
Notes go here!

[Image: hera_by_bronzehalo_d9gff4d_by_moonstone_...9ggy0h.png]
Please Tag Me In All Threads

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty
Tembovu & Mwebene
Bright blue eyes peer down the snow bank, staring from a grey face and waving ears. A trunk mindlessly wove in the air as Mbwene watched the little unicorn slide and scramble. She was like her bonded just… smaller. A lot smaller. And she seemed bright, happy, full of life, unlike the constant darkness that billowed from her big companion.

And she seemed to like this cold stuff. The air, the hard ice, and soft snow. The little elephant, though allured by the fun of the foal, kept her distance because of the chilly promise of the snow bank. But, still, she watched until the filly stopped and rested at the base of the snow bank.

Then, she looked over her shoulder, back to the oversized grouch to whom her soul was tethered. A trumpet vibrated her trunk, calling the giant over to see what her naive eyes were seeing. Tembovu’s head raised, steps slow and halting as he continued to favor his mildly festering right knee. Gaze travels the pointing trunk of Mbwene, dark eyes lightening slightly to see the filly so elated and covered in snow.

It was clear that she was enjoying herself. A low nicker of greeting rumbled down the bank, but he didn’t descend because of his infected injury. The elephant calf at his side wavered, to go down the bank? or to not go down the bank?

A tentative step over the edge suddenly turned her into a crashing snowball sounding alarmed trumpets. She gently thumped against the resting filly, bright blue eyes wide and shocked— fear and surprise resounding through the bond to the Elephant. At first, he moves to go down the bank, but stays his hooves as Mbwene reveals herself to be uninjured with throaty huff.

A rumbling laugh— so rare a sound, lately— rolls down the bankment. “Hello, Hera. This is Mbwene, my companion,” his low voice breaks between chuckles.
credit
@Hera

Please tag Tembovu.

Outcast
nickel

Of all the things that could have happened having a creature almost the size of herself come tumbling down the hill was definitely not one of them. Here she was just minding her own business when out of the blue she heard a funny sound from behind her. Naturally curious the young filly had turned her head to get a glimpse of the creature that sounded funny and before she knew it she was sitting right next to it. Surprised by the suddenness of her new company she sat staring at the greyish lump of flesh with her head and neck craned as far away as possible but unable to take her wide eyes off of the elephant.

Snorting fearfully the girl couldn't seem to make her legs work so despite her best efforts her butt remained planted in the snow while her hooves slid around uselessly. Laughter was the next sound that came across the girl's ears finally peeling her eyes from the strange creature before her to find the comforting sight of Temby standing up a little ways from them. Finally managing to get herself rolled off her arse and upright she shook herself off sending snow flying in the process. "Temby!" She called joyfully forgetting momentarily about the elephant as she pranced over to the large stallion. "I thought you forgot about me." She said solemnly before turning her head to look back at the grey snow creature.

Mb..mbyy...Mbwene.. Fumbling over the name in her head the filly raised her brow in confusion. What was a companion? Where did he get it? What in the world was it?

"What's that?" She asked tilting her head to one side glancing between the two as she tried to pronounce the name again. "What is a companion? I mean Mb..we..wene?"

every loss, every mistake, was seared into her soul, creating a different kind of tattoo, one made from rage and abandonment, heart break and tears
credits

Tembovu & Mwebene
An irate squeak came from the tousled elephant as she righted herself— only to be pelted with more snow by the mini-Tembovu beside her. Reaching out her trunk to grab and stop her shaking, it closed on thin air as the filly bounded eagerly towards her bonded. Cold and irritability pulsed through their bond; the elephant calf had yet to be this chilled and she had yet to have someone she was interested in flounce away from her. Snow stuck in the small crevices between wrinkles, slowly melting to frigid water that tickled as it dripped down her sides. Small icicles clung to the whiskers around her mouth and to her long eyelashes. And the glare she aimed at Tembovu could have melted the ice bank they stood on.

Roughly shaking her head to clear the snow from behind (and within) her large ears, she stomped towards Tembovu and the spritely little foal that was sounding out her name. She slammed to a halt in front of her, ears out and trunk outstretched towards her muzzle. But she didn’t touch her, no— it was Hera’s job to greet her now, with a muzzle touch to her trunk. Blue eyes stare expectantly at the young filly.

Tembovu, thoroughly amused (which was the only redeeming quality of this entire charade, to Mbwene), frowned only softly at Hera’s words. “I hadn’t forgotten about you, Hera. I just… There were things that happened, but now all is well.” All was not well, if the swelling and festering of his right knee was any indication. But he ignored it.

“Mbwene,” he said the name more slowly this time, “is an elephant. And a companion is a creature that hatches from an egg and shares part of you mind, yourself. I found Mbwene’s egg on the other side of Helovia.” His low explanation pauses as he studies the small filly, “How was playing in the snow?”
credit

@Hera

Please tag Tembovu.

Outcast
nickel

It would have been nice to believe that everything was ok now like Temby said, but she knew deep down things really were not ok. Despite all her efforts she had not been able to find her mother and she had no one else she could turn to. She was lonely but she felt it was useless to admit how crappily she actually felt for it would not change anything in the short or long term. Things were just... she really didn't know how things were but they were anything but ok.

Looking up to discover that the grey blob now known as an elephant, had followed her she tipped her head cautiously in its direction still trying to comprehend the exact features of such a creature. So this was a companion... it came from an egg? Must have been one really big egg for this to have come out of it... most eggs she had seen were itty bitty. Mother had shown her a birds egg once and it was no where near as large as one an elephant would come from. Thinking back as far as she could remember she tried to remember if she too had come from an egg. She couldn't remember that much other than brightness and slime and mother being there, maybe she had... "Temby? Does that mean that I came from an egg too?" She asked with complete innocence only one as young as her could manage.

Preoccupied by the thought she had barely noticed Mbwene poking a long appendage towards her. Was that a nose? Why was it so long?! Did all elephants have noses like this? Bicoloured optics scanned over the alien like creature with curiousty trying to figure out what in the world she could want. Maybe she was trying to sniff her? Well that was what a nose was for... Perplexed she gently lowered her velvet soft muzzle to touch the top of Mbwene's nose huffing to take in the elephants scent in the process.

Pulling away after a minute or two she wiggled her nose to clear the water that had begun to build up there from the melting snow. All this playing in the snow had gotten her quite wet, to say the least she might as well have been swimming. "It was ok..." She said at long last answering Temby's question. It was fun while it lasted but it would have been better if she had had someone else to play with.

every loss, every mistake, was seared into her soul, creating a different kind of tattoo, one made from rage and abandonment, heart break and tears
credits

Tembovu & Mwebene
"Temby? Does that mean that I came from an egg too?” An outright laugh burst from his mouth, a sound that had not passed his lips in a long while. Not since the half-hearted chuckles at Johnny, the peppermint stallion, and his curious griffin hatching at the small, icy grove. It was such a novel sound to Mbwene that the calf’s bright blue eyes swiveled towards her big, bonded man, wide with surprise. Though her gaze quickly swung back to the silvered filly before her as her soft muzzle encountered her own.

Some of the grouchiness left her small, young, wrinkled face as her trunk stroked Hera’s velveteen mouth and felt her warm, sweet foal-breaths. Hera’s was the softest muzzle she had yet touched— as (she would learn) foal muzzle were. Mbwene’s trunk slowly drifted down to hang before her, watchful gaze watching the wiggle of her nose and shiny wetness that covered her coat. The calf also saw the change from curiosity to— to a dimming of her brightness? That was the only way the young calf could understand it. Confusion and concern flowed through her bond to the Elephant King as he watched the exchange.

“No, Hera, you came from your mother. You did not need an egg, you grew inside her,” he paused, muzzle crinkling softly as he considered what more to say in answer to her innocent, yet intricate, question, “I’ll explain more when you’re older, Hera.” He finally decided that answer was the best answer, for now.

His head dropped to gently tug her foal-fuzz of a mane, “Why just ‘okay,’ dadisi*?” His low voice rumbled, concern running beneath its low timbre.

*dadisi: to be inquisitive
Tembo gave her a nickname <3

@Hera
credit

Please tag Tembovu.

Outcast
nickel

A soft groan escapes the young girl's lips at the ever so typical grown up answer. Why was it always the case of "I will tell you when your older". She was older but nobody would seem to believe that! "But I am older." she complained defiantly not really knowing what she was asking to know. Ok, so she came from mother which would explain a few things but how? "Did mama eat me?" Baffled the girl stood there trying to figure out a logical answer to her own question. Why was Temby laughing at her question anyway was it supposed to be funny? She did like the sound of laughter better though so she decided to not make a fuss about that part.

It was a hard thing to explain the strange feelings that went on in the young girls mind especially when it was something so personal. The topic of her loneliness was a big thing to her of course but in a way she didn't want to seem like a pest by complaining about it. All she needed was for someone else not to like her and then she would be all alone yet again with no home to speak of. While she still felt alone being here in The Edge it would be nothing compared to being alone alone. “Why just ‘okay,’ dadisi*?” A soft sigh escapes her lips as she tries to come up with a decent answer other than just cause. After a moment or two of silence she felt her head droop slightly as the words left her mouth. "I miss Mama... things just aren't the same without her. I have no one to play with or do things with anymore."

Standing still while Temby played around with her fuzzy mane she drew some comfort from the action as it was something her mother used to do. Thinking back to what Erthe had said about everyone a thought came to mind. Would she be turned away if she asked? Couldn't hurt though could it? Many questions pulsed through her mind before she found the words leaving her mouth. "Temby? Can I... will you be my Daddy?"

WORDS: ### || TAGGED:
Love the nickname <3

Tembovu & Mwebene
A lopsided grin crossed his muzzle at her soft complaining and further questioning about how she came to be inside her dam. “No, your mother did not eat you,’ was his simple, amused reply. Though his amusement and grin faded as she continued to answer his own question, dark blue eyes saddening as the small filly’s head drooped.

Mbwene, seeing the droop, shuffled alongside the silver-tinted filly, pressing her calf-body into the foal-fuzz comfortingly. Her trunk softly traced the patches of coat that were starting to push out the foal-fuzz. The stallion blinked, briefly watching his bonded’s trunk, before returning his attention to the disheartened filly’s face.

“Birdsong is coming, and hopefully that will bring more foals to the Edge,” his great head dropped to her level, reaching out to gently ruffle her short mane, “That will give you others to play with.” He sighed softly, surprised by the sudden poignant yearning he felt at the idea of foal-season approaching. It had been so long since he had even considered being a father; his sights had been clouded by vengeance and he had been drowned in guilt and sorrow. But now…

Now, though, it seemed Hera was providing a balm to the sadness that suddenly pervaded him. He paused for a moment, looking at the small filly, before a grin crossed his broad, black muzzle, “I thought I already was.” He winked, bumping her with his nose before suddenly backing away. An unusually playful gleam in his navy eyes invited her to chase him. “Can you catch me, dadisi?”
credit

Please tag Tembovu.

Outcast
nickel

The answers that she got in return were only more puzzles for the filly to try and work through. Well if her momma didn't eat her... how in the world did she end up inside her a some point or another? Thinking as far back as possible she couldn't remember too much other than darkness and then finally opening her eyes to see her mother standing over her. Oh why didn't things make some kinda sense?

As her mood drastically changed as the painful memories of her mother took away all the happy moments her head fell towards the ground along with her eyes. The cold feeling of loneliness slowly crept over her frame until she felt warmth invade into its icy grasp. Startled by the strange feeling of something against her side her head lifted to stare back at Mwebene who had cuddled up to her all of a sudden. While it felt foreign and strange the filly did not move away as her eyes followed the patterns that the elephant traced upon her coat. Why would the elephant do something like this she wondered silently before her attention was divided by the gentle giant in front of her.

His words were likely meant to provide some kind of reassurance but to her they didn't mean too much. Even if there were more others around her age it didn't mean that they would like her. After all her own mother didn't seem to want her so how could she expect others to? Despite her own negativity towards the slight chance of friends she tried to put a positive swing on it by praying that Temby was right.

“I thought I already was.”These words were enough to bring a genuine smile to her face for the first time in awhile. Of course he was her daddy! She didn't want it to be any other way! After all he always could be her dad cause he looked similar to her in her mind, plus she had never met her own dad. Maybe, just maybe things were starting to look up.

Eyes a glow with happiness she couldn't help but giggle at the thrill of playing with her daddy. Touching her soft muzzle gently to Mbwene's trunk for a quick moment of gratitude she invited the elephant to join in the fun. "YES! Yes daddy I can!" she responded with a shrill squeal of delight. Bouncing forward after him she tried to playfully nip at his shoulder if she could reach it. " But can you catch me?"

WORDS: ### || TAGGED:
Notes go here!

Tembovu & Mwebene
Mbwene issued a brassy snort at Hera’s soft muzzle bump and invitation to join their game. Certainly not, her waving ears and shaking trunk seemed to say. Not only were her short and stumpy limbs not made for this chasing game of ‘tag,’ but her bright blue eyes also clearly exuded an innate disapproval of such springing, galavanting steps that both the filly and her large bonded took.

The Elephant, however, let out a loud and rumbling chuckle as Hera’s small milk teeth nipped at the thick hide of his shoulder— the filly was quick, for being so young! And the General wasn’t as agile as he used to be… Not that the hulking man had ever, truly, been agile, in the truest sense of the word. Just more nimble and less lumbering. But, alas, he no longer led troops in drills daily. Instead, he spent his time welcoming, leading, chastising, and (perhaps most importantly as assuredly his most favored) play with foals.

So his chuckle rumbled warmly, as his momentum shifted from backwards to forwards, heavy hooves crunching in the ice as he subtly tried to herd the silver filly away from the sharp drop of he snow drift she had been rolling down. It wouldn’t do for her to fall down that in their harmless game.

He grinned, “You’d better run, then,” his amused response to her delighted squealed rolled over the snow-covered Edge, his earlier dark despondency momentarily forgotten. Thank the gods for foals. They were pinpricks of light amid a sea of shadows for the Elephant King.
credit

@Hera I think we can fade it here? Maybe a new thread in the new season?

Please tag Tembovu.