the Rift

[OPEN] And who shall tell the amorist Oblivion is so loverless.

Rikyn the Puppeteer Posts: 549
Aurora Basin Lord atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 HP: 70 | Buff: SWIFT
Duir :: Royal Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Bunnie
The decision to remain alone for a while longer leads me here, to this grove of green bamboo and dizzying pathways.  I’d thought I would never see the end of the odd plants when at last they broke open into this clearing, edged by three entrances (including that from which I’d come) leading back into the maze.  The snow, having been light in the meadow, is almost nonexistent here, the sun having been high and full for days without a single whisper of snow, the only reminder of the season being the cold wind that whistles through and tousles the wearily green grasses.

Occasionally, it seems as if the ghost sound of wolves fills the whisper of the wind, keeping me unsettled in a way that is rather uncharacteristic of my usual cocky behavior.  That I feel this way further perturbs me, so that the fear of wolves is replaced instead with, in this instance, a taste test of the oddly still greenish grass, and in other times, full fledged anger at myself, or the jittery watchfulness of one who is sure there is something out there.

The taste test reveals that the grass is oddly greenish due the proximity of the still very green bamboo.  That the plant so tenaciously perseveres the chill is no wonder to me, the sort to see strange parallels, like that of wolves being resilient to cold, as well; that this all leads me back to the sounds I’m imagining on the wind, and the memory of a dark and horrifying Goddess befouling all she touched with her myriad of snarling hounds in tow, makes me want to beat my head into a tree.

Instead, I send one of my hooves out behind me roughly, letting the satisfying sound of the bamboo cracking under the impact chase away the ghost of the Goddess. 

@Difyr

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Oultik Posts: 18
Outcast atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 hh :: 7 Years HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Erakro :: Lion :: None TierRen
O u l t i k
On the wrong side of heaven
and the righteous side of Hell

Erakro clung unsteadily to Oultik's back. The horned man spoke through a grimace, "I am sorry." Erakro looked down at the scratches that she had made on his back and wondered why he apologized. Oultik shifted an ear back in her direction letting loose a low chuckle at the sound of the cub's confused huff.

"I did not mean to scare you," the stallion's voice went serious and lost its laughter as he remembered how Erakro had cowered away from him. He felt Erakro shift her weight uncomfortably as she realized what it was he was talking about. Oultik stopped walking and leaned against a tree whenever he felt her trying to get down. He gently pinned her leg between his body and the tree. "You are not getting down, Erakro." Oultik's deep voice was gentle but remained firm. "I have shouted--" he hated how he had lashed out before thinking. Oultik had not planned his words to Erakro prior to saying them. "And now I talk." In the labyrinth he had become separated from Erakro. He had allowed himself to become too lost in thought; too confident in her growing ability to look out for herself.

Oultik had lost his magic upon entering Helovia, only to replace it with a new sort. The sort of magic that snored alongside him at night, that snored louder than he had ever. The sort that expected him to play silly games and that pouted if he did not agree to do so. A magic that had somehow started to soften the hatred that had hardened him so. Erakro, with her toothy smile had found a part of Oultik that he himself had almost lost sight of. The cub was the magic, the blessing, of a child; something the man had thought to never experience. Whenever Oultik had thought that magic, his daughter, to be gone-- he had gone blind to everything else. And feeling her fear alongside his own? Oultik had been a desperate man.

To be so desperate; To feel his knees go weak in relief at the sight of her paws (still too big for the rest of her body) sticking out from a bush, had been overwhelming. So consumed by feelings he did not know how to handle Oultik had simply exploded. The stallion had shouted at Erakro. He had berated her for wandering off. Oultik had been harsh towards the cub, much more so than what he would have ever intentionally been.

"I did not think before I spoke." Oultik felt Erakro settle and stepped away from the tree and started walking again, "I was afraid. I let it control my tongue." Erakro sat still and listened. It was the first time she had heard of Oultik being afraid. Through their bond it was the first time she had ever felt fear from his end. It was strange, a foreign thought to the cub. Oultik was always calming her fears by pressing his own clearheadedness through their bond. "Learn from my mistakes," she swatted at this mane, the girl did not want to hear her hero figure talk in such a way. To her Oultik was unmovable. He was like a mountain; tall, strong, proud, and perfect. To hear him talk as he did now made her feel uncomfortable. Erakro wanted to be just like her father and she did not want to make more mistakes. Not after how Oultik had reacted to the one she made in getting lost. "You will hear different, Erakro, but actions do not mean more than words. Words are immediate. Words are who you are. Even if you cannot do it you can still say it." Having finished what he wanted to say Oultik allowed the cub to hop down. His back, covered in scratches, appreciated the relief.

Ahead of them, in the path that they walked, stood a unicorn of impressive form. Oultik approved of the desire that Erakro had to meet him, though he was still watchful over his ward.  As they approached Oultik saw the lifted hoof and forced Erakro into a halt. "Do you need company?" In the younger stallion Oultik saw a young man of the caliber that he would have wanted a son of his own to be. "I am Oultik, she is Erakro,", Oultik gave the dagger's name as it was to those other than himself. He did not bat an eye at introducing an inanimate object, not whenever it was his last tie to his home."And this is Krukero."

[Image: oultikforprofile_by_tierren-d9wxebs.png]

@Rikyn I did not proof read much of this so bear with me |: Trying to get caught up on replies tonight XD

Coding by Tamme
Art by Ysval
[Image: outlik_pixel_by_danjahmouse_d9wbjh9_by_t...9zd0je.gif] [Image: VsRNHQ7.png]

What if this whole crusade's a charade
And behind it all there's a price to be paid

The echo of cloven hooves against the green bamboo behind me is answered, surprisingly, by a male voice.

My attention pivots to him swiftly, ears lifted, lion’s tail curving upwards and about my body in an almost defensive curl (as it the useless tassel could do more than get in the way); I don’t really care for being snuck up on, and its evident in the frown that deepens on my face as my head turns to let my aureate gaze size up the male that speaks.  It’s not his fault that I didn’t hear him over the sound of my violence against vegetation or the fluttering noise of my nerves, but whatever.  He’s gonna get glared at for the time being regardless, the forward angle of my ears dropping back to the slight backward tilt of being perturbed – the only thing keeping my usual snotty attitude at bay being an irksome wonder as to why he seems so curiously familiar, but entirely strange.

So distracted with this wonder and the rushing course of aggravation at having been startled, I don’t even notice his companion until he gives her a name – so I glance up, because Erakro is obviously not riding his back as so many creatures seem to do, but there’s nothing overhead, perched on the misaligned caps of the bamboo encircling us.  The last place I decide to look, of course, is where she is – a very little thing of some feline lineage, tawny colored, her paws and head too big for the oddly proportioned parts of her predatory body.  I know from Kyst, however, that the gangly oddness of young cats shouldn’t be mistaken as anything other than youth – and Erakro is almost as big as mother’s griffon already, barely grown (it makes my thoughts try to trail off on a path of wonder as to how very large she will be when she’s done).  

Oddly, the man also introduces what seems to be his dagger, which makes my eyebrows rise up ever so slightly, my gaze returning to his face from the cub, at his hooves.

That’s a different sort of thing to introduce, but to each his own, I suppose.

"I guess I wouldn’t mind it," I answer, untruthfully, the rich tenor of my voice tethered to a slight gruffness, especially in my minor annoyance at them – I’d really like it, mostly because it’s hard to imagine shadow wolves while using your mind for conversation, but there is something so wimpy about asking for companionship to me, "I’m Rikyn."

I look again at his dagger, unable to keep from wondering why someone would name a knife unless it did something more than stab things from time to time.  Besides, I’ve heard enough of enchanted objects in stories gleaned from elders, and even seen a few – like the little daggers the Angry Snowflake had used against me.  My own father made machines that lived.  It was easy to assume that this “Krukero” was fancier than it let on.

"Does it do anything?" I ask, not caring if its rude to ask such direct questions about others belongings, or if maybe he’d rather not share the enchantment it holds – an advantage I understand entirely, the sort to withhold plenty of things from plenty of people for the greater purpose of serving myself.

[ OOC: It's okay!  I have lots of typos and I occasionally swap out words for totally wrong but related ones so I know the struggle of finger cooperation. xD ]
For the blood on which we dine
Justified in the name of the Holy and the Divine.

@Oultik

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Oultik Posts: 18
Outcast atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 hh :: 7 Years HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Erakro :: Lion :: None TierRen
O u l t i k
On the wrong side of heaven
and the righteous side of Hell
On Oultik a brow arched in amusement. The fellow did not go through the movements of which were normally to be expected from one just met. He did not posture to present a feeling inaccurate of what he felt. Oultik smiled wryly. "You do not allow expectations to define you. " He felt more at ease around this sort; those who did not dabble in senseless emotions that Oultik found frustratingly impossible to follow. No beating around the bush, he thought approvingly, Why stomp the bush whenever you can eat it? He could hear his mother's voice echoing just behind his own thought. Oultik was certainly his mother's son.

"You are blunt in a manner that borders being rude," Erakro looked from Oultik to Riykn with wide eyes, was Oultik going to fuss at him too? This is why we have no friends, Erakro thought sourly cutting her eyes at her father and turning to look longingly at the younger stallion. The cub missed how Oultik's frown twitched. How often he feigned seriousness whenever he inwardly chuckled.

"It does." Oultik shifted the leg that bore the weight of the dagger and all that it meant to him, both the good and the bad, "It does not allow me to forget where it is that I hail from, nor who I am." And there have been times when I considered doing both, he added silently to himself.

[Image: oultikforprofile_by_tierren-d9wxebs.png]

Coding by Tamme
Art by Ysval

@Rikyn I am the worst! I am so sorry about the wait. I am back now though. I love your writing.
[Image: outlik_pixel_by_danjahmouse_d9wbjh9_by_t...9zd0je.gif] [Image: VsRNHQ7.png]

What if this whole crusade's a charade
And behind it all there's a price to be paid

The amusement rolls over my head, in the sort of way a lot of things do. I’m not sure what I’ve said or done to merit such a response, other than badger with questions, speak at him as if he is a gnat humming about my ears. His words make my ears fall back ever so slightly, a deep breath sucked in through my nostrils as I try to process what he could mean by that grin, those words.

Expectations? And what did the world expect of me? I had never been given anything like a list to live by, except for, maybe, mother’s nagging.

“Stand straighter, Rikyn,” or “go wash your face, you look homeless.”

My turn to smile is now, my dark lips tilting upwards in memory of how horrified she’d been to see my mane in tangles, sticks protruding, leaves lingering; I was my father’s son, not hers.

Blessedly, the familiar stranger explains, this Oultik rumbling out that I am blunt, almost rude. He would be the first one to put almost in front of that word before he used it. Ashamin hadn’t used it at all – rather, he’d thrown down a gauntlet, and we’d danced in the snow, words tossed aside for the more obvious meanings of blows.

The stare of the cat is unnoticed as it passes between us, because my eyes are holding this man’s face and searching them for a hint of sarcasm, a hidden barb. That I don’t find one likely means nothing – the genes for knowing people’s thoughts by the motions of their face didn’t pass through mother to me.

"What of it?" I finally decide, after almost saying nothing. Part of me thinks that he finds it a good thing, to be direct, like I do – but part of me worries that there is a woman hidden beneath all those muscles, that I’ll get fussed at for not knowing all the rules in their mystical, ultimately secret, book of regulations. While friendship was easy as a child, each of our minds open, trusting, eager to reach out and embrace, tangle with those around them, I’d realized that it grew harder the older you got; they started seeing you as a threat, a challenge, an obstacle, just another guy unworthy of their breath, not as a person, with a heart, beating. Not as someone who feels very much like an island adrift in the sea.

The stallion presents the dagger proudly, as proudly explaining that it does nothing but tie him to the place of its creation.

I snort, a rough laugh hidden poorly behind exhalation.

Laaaaaaaaame.

I’d never forgotten who I was, where I was from. Xynia heard every story I had of the mountains, of my Princedom, of my friends. I wore a scar from Xynia’s horn on my shoulder now, a memory I carried with me, though it was fading.

I’m too young to understand that a head gets too full of memories to remember them all, as time meanders on. I don’t understand the purpose of a totem, symbolizing home, because my young heart hasn’t had time to forget it yet. Even now, out here in the wilderness, the Basin was still home, though I’d not returned again as I probably should have. They’d take me back. If they didn’t, I’d just kick some ass to make it so.

"Can’t say I understand that much," I answer, smiling, trying my best to move forward with this thick wall of misunderstanding built between us, the bricks slapping onto the mortar, "but it’s a nice dagger. Where are you from that it’s so easy to forget, anyway?"
For the blood on which we dine
Justified in the name of the Holy and the Divine.

@Oultik

Wishlist - Plots