the Rift

[Sneaks] Deep Secrets

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

Having nothing to do with his life but despise it, the hunter has decided that at least he will throw himself into his work. Archibald tells him to steal and he steals, gifts artifacts and trinkets like the are nothing but droppings found upon the ground. Uncharacteristic? Perhaps. And so he maintains his anonymity, always. His body is masked more often than not, his identity cloaked. What good is it to tell people who he is when he doesn't even know anymore? His other half gone, his mate and child no longer in his life, all love absent and forgotten... what is that sort of being but a shadow?

Impatient, he paces in the day. His cloak of light flickers in and out until he settles on a decision of sorts, a form. He will remain as himself, if only for now, and speak to those who wish to hear his true voice. They will know no more than they need to, learn nothing close to his heart, but that will have to be enough.

He throws his black body against a tree, his dappled neck rubbing its cold trunk as if to find comfort, and lets out a long, ancient neigh. It ends in something like a cough as he inhales the Frostfall air sharply, and he frowns at the sight of snow smattered on the ground.

"Seekers of shadow, beasts of intelligence, to your lord!" The summoning sounds hollow and fake, and immediately the hunter regrets it, but it will have to be good enough. His curled mane covers his face, dangling over his scars and hiding the pained blue of his eyes. Will any even answer the call, or is this truly for naught? Isn't it all, nowadays?

KNOX and manhattan</style>
you can't look me in the eye and say you don't feel like a little destruction.</style>
image by D.R.F @ flickr.com

For all interested in sneaking, or requiring the services of sneaks. @Aeolus @Vitani @Murtagh @Imonada.

EDIT:
Adding @Cirrus for her interest. I will post again in about a week, please get replies in before then everybody.

Vitani Posts: 92
Dragon's Throat Mare atk: 3.5 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: Three Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Sarabi :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire Emily
Vitani the Reckless

"Seekers of shadow, beasts of intelligence, to your lord!" Sarabi caught the call before I did. I sigh softly. More meetings. Great, just great. Meetings aren't really my thing, specially when someone I actually give a damn about isn't there. Sarabi grumbles as I know she will be there with me. But you're different. Which was true. But the idea of being sneaky and actually having a place to belong in the herd was interesting. That is, if I even stay. You will miss antlers if you leave. I cut the hellhound a dirty look before heading off to where the call had come from.

She was right of course. But that didn't matter now. What I needed to focus on was this was a meeting and I needed both of us to be on our best behavior. After all, last thing I need is to turn both the sleuth and the warrior leads against me. Then life really will become a living hell around here and I wouldn't have a choice but to leave. We be fine. I won't react. I glance at my bonded again. I knew what she meant. The last time she had reacted had ended in a long lecture from the champion bitch and forced patrols to make me meet my new herd members.

When we arrive, I see that we are the first to arrive. "Are we in the right place?" I draw to a halt to keep space between the stallion and I, but close enough that I do not have to talk loud to be heard. After all, if this is a meeting of those who love the shadows... Well why would I want to come in and draw attention to the meeting place?

"speech here"
Sarabi Talks

short quote
Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Image by semper

Murtagh Posts: 92
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 hh :: 2.5 years
Sorellina :: Spectacled Bear :: None Sarah

It took a little pleading, which Murtagh absolutely did not consider beneath him, but finally he was allowed to answer the absolutely bizarre summons that he had heard. Now that his favourite season was back, the colt was feeling energized and wanted to meet absolutely EVERYONE that he could! He was getting big too! He didn’t feel any older, though, and wasn’t sure when that would start happening. When he was as big as his mothers? Maybe he would get as big as Archibald! It certainly seemed possible, given how little the colt knew about genetics or the general family structure. Everyone in the Falls was his family.

Which was funny, because he did not recognize the black stallion that had called them together!

Oh well, plenty of time to figure that out!

He did not so much as approach the pair as bound toward them, taking delight in the hoofprints that he left in the snow in his wake before skidding to a practiced halt nearby. He did recognize the golden haired girl - remembering her from a lazy, hot day beneath a tree - and flashed them both a smile as his lavender eyes took them in. “Hello! I’m Murtagh.” His eyes settling on the stallion, feeling pretty confident that he was the one who called, Murtagh tried to calm down enough to answer the summons. “I don’t think I’m a beast but can I sit in on the meeting anyway? I'm trying to learn about the ranks!” He had been to a warriors meeting before and was curious about what happened at the others.

That's why a bear can rest at ease
With just the bare necessities of life

image by Kiki <3
[Image: 5626f07281a02]
pixel by Kiara <3

Jen

Well well well... look who it is.

Surely some part of the hunter recognized her before the imps, but whatever part it was couldn't face the reality. She stands before him, so innocent, the daughter of his last kill unknowingly answering the call of a murderer. His heart lurches and sinks, and it takes all of his power to not roll back his eyes, turn tail, and run. He's more coward than killer now, following Archibald's orders so he doesn't have to follow his own.

Somehow, though, Knox manages to keep his cool. His teeth grind imperceptibly and his long tail flicks behind him. It lands against his legs again with a thud, some of its strands growing into thick tangled knots as he fails to care for himself.  

"It depends on your intentions," Knox says quietly, his voice sounding rough from aggression but in reality choked with the fear of facing his past.

That's not you anymore, someone whispers.
But for so long—
Yuh must move on, his father speaks.

The shadowed stallion coughs, pulling himself away from the tree and starting a slow pace before the mare. "Tell me your name, and why you have come. Then we will see if you're in the right place," Knox says as coolly as he can, distracted already by the sounds of another. His ears tilt forward and his head snaps. Cold, blue eyes narrow at the colt that so blindly introduces himself—were Knox not waiting on the mare's reply, he would have snapped at Murtagh without discrimination.

But being a father himself, and knowing that the bouncing little creature is Ktulu's spawn, Knox holds his tongue and lowers his head invitingly. "Come on then, boy. You've much to learn, I'm sure, and the sneaks of these falls are kings of seeking knowledge," he adds with a snort in the colt's face and a wicked expression that is almost like a grin. Maybe he doesn't consort with gods as the storyteller does, but Knox has no care for the gods anymore, anyway. The secrets the shadows tell are far more interesting.

you can't look me in the eye and say you don't feel like a little destruction.</style>

Any who post after this point are considered late.
@Vitani @Murtagh.

200th post!!!

Vitani Posts: 92
Dragon's Throat Mare atk: 3.5 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: Three Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Sarabi :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire Emily
Vitani the Reckless

The silence between my words to his seemed a lifetime. Quietly, Sarabi and I waited for his answer. Had we come to the wrong place? Or was he just not going to speak until the others arrived? At long last, my wait was over. "It depends on your intentions," I started to speak, to say something sassy. But instead I kept quiet. But for so long— Confusion threatened to show upon my face, but I managed to keep it emotionless for now. No hide emotion. I have to Sarabi. To be a spy. I can't let anyone know what I am really thinking or feeling other than you. You will need to do the same.

He coughs, before speaking again, this time clearly to me. "Tell me your name, and why you have come. Then we will see if you're in the right place," My eyes narrowed. I decided not to give my name just yet. After all what if he was a spy from another herd? "I come seeking the one looking for those who seek the shadows and beasts of intelligence" I quote the call almost perfectly. I left out the fact that the one calling had claimed to be their lord. Maybe tier leader, but he was no Czar.

Another came, and of course it had to be the brat of Ktulu. I can't go anywhere without someone of her family looking over my shoulder. The more time goes on, the less I trust those of the herd. Maybe by being a spy, I could protect myself from both outsiders and my herd better. What's that saying about keeping enemies close? Ah well, it didn't matter. I'd be keeping them all close. "Come on then, boy. You've much to learn, I'm sure, and the sneaks of these falls are kings of seeking knowledge," I smile slightly. I was in the right place then. But until I knew his name, I would not give my own or that of my bonded. My mother didn't raise a fool.

"speech here"
Sarabi Talks

short quote
Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Image by semper

Azoth Posts: 10
Absent Abyss
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.1 HH :: 4
ShadowMare
Azoth

A certain call tickles him from daydreaming today, his soaring and slumbering interrupted by the voice of something almost dark. The stallion had indeed desired to further implement his skill set into the place he now called home, so either pure curiosity drove him to the sounds of another man's voice or the actual want to become of such sneaks, of such intelligence. Azoth was no brute force, but he did have a way with words, a certain playboy charm and jock confidence had gotten him this far, and he was sure that with a little training, he could be quite the thief.

He traveled on foot, lurking on the outer edges of the gathering until he felt his presence was finally to be made. The black stallion seemed rather off-putting, but Azoth was no stranger to distant minds, and chose to ignore the likes of this man. After all, if he did so chose to become a part of this rank, he could not dislike the very crafter of it all. The other male, Murtagh as he called himself, seemed young, obviously a newer addition to this world. Lastly, Azoth's honey eyes fell upon the mare, he wasn't quite sure what to think of her, but when he appeared from the caresses of the shadows, he offered them all a quiet dip of his head. He then let's his gaze fall upon the black man, "Azoth, new to the Hidden Falls and interested to join under your rankings. Pleased to be of company." He spoke with the ease of confidence, eager to get his hooves wet.

OCC: ew. he is so hard to get into, give me a bit <3

"Talk."
got no reason, got no shame
got no family I can blame

image credits

Jen

Perhaps the mare is too smart to fall for his simple tricks, but that doesn't mean she satisfies him with her answer. The cracked velvet on his nose wrinkles with an irritated sort of acknowledgement. Is it better that she spoke or would she have lasted longer in his graces with her silence, as the colt has proven himself to be?

Knox nods at the child, a soft gesture that perhaps comes from being a father himself. The chances of this are unlikely.

"What a very careful response," the hunter tells her with a shrug and a snort--a faint roll of his eyes. "Don't try to be too clever, no one expects you to be. Just try to not be a damned fool," Knox adds.

He swallows at the sight of her, the memories, the understanding of how he has hurt her... and she doesn't even know.

The hunter does not plan to reveal himself in any way to her or any other who come to the call, but there's a horribly guilt-ridden part of him that wants to shift before the mare and show her the face of the murderer she might recognize. But...

{Dovev:} You wouldn't dare, colt.

No, he won't.

Another thankfully stumbles in late, and Knox is able to focus his attention on that rather unfortunate display of foolishness. A name, a reason for being there--really, the stallion is asking to be used as an example.

"If I can say anything for you, mare, it is that you have not come barging in, late to a meeting and thrown out your name as if it were not a precious secret," Knox nickers in a manner that seems almost threatening. He snaps his gaze to the stallion, eyes narrowed, and goes on: "If you come to join the stealth rank of the Falls, you have indeed come to the right place, simply in the wrong manner. But you would do well to keep your assumptions in check, for these are not my ranks, I am simply a messenger serving within his clutch."

A snort, a soft sigh, a sort of delicate revelation. Thus begins the disappearance of Knox from the very existence of this world. "The sleuth of this herd is a stallion named Knox, and he did not deem it necessary to arrive in person here today. I've come to deliver instead his simple set of instructions, which is this:" Knox pauses then, smiling softly, reveling in the satisfaction of a molded lie, "If you go looking for your leader, you will not find him. If you work hard, learn all that you can, keep yourselves hidden, steal only for others and only at his orders, and have loyalty to no other factions outside of this herd, then you might succeed."

Knox looked down even at Murtagh then; the boy was too young now, but perhaps he would remember the words. "If you are willing to follow these tenets, then Knox will consider you his thieves in the night. Should you take issue with them, it would be better that you leave. Should at any point you violate them..." his voice trails and the threat is evident. Need he say more? No, better not to, lest he get carried away and reveal the true, more sinister consequence. Surely, if this were his own herd and not his brothers, he would kill them for such betrayal. Instead he simply tells them all this with a stern tone. It's true--he doesn't have time for equivocation. Knox isn't sure what the other herds are doing (due to a lack of intelligence agents working at his side, up until perhaps this very moment) but he doesn't care that they are in a time of peace. He is always, as he has been trained to his whole life, preparing for war. Knox has never forgotten how to punish and kill. There are secrets that must be kept, and should they be spilled then so will be blood.

"And you, mare," Knox says with a snort, "expect to be assigned a new name shortly, Knox will pass it to you as he desires. Should you have come up with a reply that yielded a useful response merely than just parroting what you heard, perhaps you would have been able to choose it yourself. Consider this both a reward and a punishment, and take what you've learned from it into every conversation you have from this point on--all of you."

"You boys will forever be branded as Murtagh and Azoth, but not as you were before; consider your identities switched within this circle. Consider that to be a mark of shame, why don't you?"

{Zekiah:} Aye, always pickin' on the little ones aren't ya Knox?
{Zsoka:} But brother, it's just so easy!

He lowers his head, his postures slackens, and he tries to make himself appear less intimidating to the crowd before him for a moment. "Now, do any of you have any intelligent questions for me before you are left to your devices?"

Omg this got really long for some weird reason and also is like the longest Knox post in a while so yay? Post in whatever order you feel comfortable in, Emily is currently on absent due to family issues and I wouldn't want her to feel like we are waiting on her, I tried to write in a way that she can skip this round if need be and ask questions later when Vitani gets her name. If you want a rank change, say so in your post and I'll take care of it. If you want a thread with Knox privately, I'll set those up as I have time if you let me know.

@Azoth @Murtagh @Vitani .

Azoth Posts: 10
Absent Abyss
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.1 HH :: 4
ShadowMare
Azoth

The man speaks with clipped, harsh words. Azoth's brow rose as the black stallion continued on with his musings, Azoth would be sure to keep wary of the mysterious man. He didn't seem like one that the pegasus would want in line with his enemies. It didn't deter him though, he stood strong, steadfast and expectant of nothing. That was how he had made it through the wilds, never expecting a miracle and never setting the bar too high, for if nothing is expected and nothing is out of reach, everything is always won. Azoth wasn't witless, he knew the facades of others, knew how to read those hellbent on hiding, nothing slid easily by the golden boy. He kept his radar on high, analyzing, formulating, thinking in the shadows of his mind as the meeting went on. Azoth would be made new here in the Hidden Falls, and he would be made stronger

This, Knox, intrigued him. He wasn't sure as to why, but Azoth was always one that wanted to crack the code of others, wanted to know their secrets, their weaknesses, their strengths and loves. It seemed Knox was just someone that had piqued his desire to do that. Nevertheless, the golden flighted would watch this Knox.

He waited, patiently standing until Knox had quieted. He took upon replying first, allowing the young foal some time as well as the mare who had just been completely stripped bare. Azoth wanted to contest for them, but it was not his place and they could handle themselves. "Well forgive me for assuming that the man you are representing wasn't present in his own body. Please do tell him I will prove my worth for my interest in his rankings is true, but I will not be called no other than Azoth. He can call me what he wishes, but that cost is not my loyalty." He spoke with a tone that would not be wavered. They were mere strangers, and Azoth would not be bossed around by someone who he owed nothing too. He respected Knox, or whoever the black stallion was, but Azoth would stand up for what he felt necessary, and his name, HIS name was not negotiable. It was the sleuth's choice, for Azoth is an adaptable man, he can find other things to do. He wanted Knox to put aside his stick-up-his-ass attitude and accept his request, this was what Azoth wanted, and he knew that he would easily fit into the workings of Knox's night thieves. All that was waiting was a name correction and an acceptance. 

OCC: 

"Talk."
got no reason, got no shame
got no family I can blame

image credits

Murtagh Posts: 92
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 hh :: 2.5 years
Sorellina :: Spectacled Bear :: None Sarah

Well, Murtagh had just been there to observe, right? He loved the idea of being a spy! It sounded so exciting! Until he found out who he would be working with. The lead of the division didn’t even bother to show up to this meeting! And whoever this guy was, well, he didn’t seem all that concerned in actually giving out information. Instead they were playing name games. As the lecture started, Murtagh started to deflate - his interest in pursuing this branch shrivelling up as the strange black stallion continued to talk. This was worse than when Mammina decided to tell him about the herbs she knew!

The blue roan colt’s attention started to wander somewhere around the part where the black stallion didn’t introduce himself and stated that Knox, the sleuth, wasn’t interested in meeting his new recruits. Ktulu didn’t hold her meetings this way. He thought that the sneaks would be more exciting like how the warrior meeting had been!

And then things got even stranger.

For some reason, they were being assigned names. As a punishment? It sounded like a very fun game to Murtagh and his eyes lit up as the black stallion dealt out the information - a bright, cheerful laugh escaping him. The concept that he was supposed to feel shame for introducing himself was entirely lost on him - it just sounded like they were going to be playing a game! Like he did with his friends when they were doing make-believe. He liked the idea of being Azoth, if only because of the wings.

But Azoth didn’t like the idea, and Murtagh wondered if he wasn’t supposed to either. “No questions! My moms don’t like me hanging out with strangers though, so I gotta go.” Which was true. He didn’t think either of them would be too happy if he came back and was like ‘so this weird guy held a meeting today and wouldn’t tell us who he was’. “Bye Vitani, bye Azoth!” Murtagh trilled to the others before turning and trotting away to find a better way to spend his time.

Murtagh

~Murtagh out~
[Image: 5626f07281a02]
pixel by Kiara <3