the Rift

[OPEN] You're a fire, I'm the dark in need of light

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Ampere the Mother of Companions

The labyrinth seemed like the perfect place to get lost.

Ampere stood on its outskirts for a moment, and wondered, hoped, that she could accomplish just that. That insurmountable urge to flee from everything grabbed her again, sending a thrill through her body that felt like a jolt of electricity through her spine. Her feathers picked up for a moment before falling flat, and uncertainly she snorted, and then she ran. She just, ran, headlong and hard, plunging through the jungle as if her very life were carried in the swiftness of her hooves. Vines threatened to ensnare her and branches tried to block her, but she dodged, ducked, weaved, dipped, dived, and dodged her way through their obstacles with a capability she didn't think she possessed, or could control. She was going purely off instinct, a living machine powered by fire and a pounding heart.

Kygo screeched overhead, desperate to keep up with her, confused by the lack of communication from her end. Where Ampere normally wore her heart on her shoulder, today she had walled him off, the first successful attempt and she hadn't even tried. She'd sunken into some old part of herself, or was reaching for it, trying to find her way amid the mess of whoever she was now.

Oblivious to the bird, to everything, Ampere just ran. She ran until her flanks heaved and darkened in sweat. She ran until her lungs burned and her legs went numb. She ran until she forgot what she was running from, until she was lost, and then and only then, did she stop.

Blue sparks whizzed all around her, gathered like a comet's trail behind her as she blazed a path through the brush, the furious undertone of her energy pulling the raw power from the foliage to accompany her. As she stilled, so too did the electricity, and with a bright, though subdued fizzle, each one winked out and left her back in the darkness, in the heart of the maze.
Credits: Image by eagle-cry-designs @ DA

[SHRUGS AT THIS. Open for anyone~]

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
She was on her way home. Even that simple fact was enough to put her at ease. No matter how long duty forced her away, be it an hour or a day, Megaera was always thankful to set her sights towards the Dragon’s Throat again. Life wasn’t easy there, days were long, conditions harsh and the pressures of leading were never forgotten, but Meg was happier than she had ever been. She had a place, a home; she had Gwaihir and good friends; she had Einarr and their children. If the worst she must suffer was was a few hours away to maintain touch with Helovia at large, Meg gave her time and energy gladly.

The easiest way home from the labyrinth was to fly over it, so pegasus and eagle soared together over the tall maze of bamboo. “I feel like its been long enough since the last one, I should probably do it soon.” Meg spoke through her mind to the eagle, continuing their discussion. Gwaihir was getting quite practiced at their internal form of speech and was always eager for practice; a very discerning bird, he did not like to think he could not make himself perfectly understood when he needed to. “The last one did not go well.” he reminded her [quite unnecessarily]. “What current news warrants gathering everyone together? There are too many opposed personalities, it’s like throwing scorpions into a bag and shaking them up to brim them all in at once. I wouldn’t.” She sighed at this, he did have a fair point. “On the other wing, it would weed out trouble makers, you could evict those who don’t fall in line.” He said it in all seriousness, having little tolerance for shenanigans of any kind and even gave a solemn little nod that made Meg laugh. “If I kicked out everyone who had a disagreement it’d be rather small herd, no? Besides, even if I have no news it would be good to touch base, see if anyone else is having problems—”

A distinctly avian screech cut the Sunspear off short and had both on high alert. Below them something bright and blue blazed through the darkness, drawing the eyes like a magnet. Wing moved, bodies shifted, and in unison the brown pair turned and aimed themselves at the disturbance and began their pursuit.

Down, through the canopy and to the ground, Meg landed with practiced skill and transitioned to a gallop, trailing he blaze of blue sparks just ahead and winking out of sight at every turn. Above Gwaihir continued on wing, sending warning of the target’s movements back to his bonded. The mare ran, soon breaking a sweat but not relenting and at some point she thought she knew exactly who it was that she was following.

When the blaze stopped, so did she, and watched for a moment as a her Chancellor was illuminated and then left in darkness. She only breathed for a moment but then spoke gently into the night. “Ampere.”

“Meg's Speech”
"Meg to Gwaihir"
"Gwaihir to Meg"
image credits
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Ampere the Mother of Companions

The silence and the darkness fell around her like a dense fabric, covering her, shielding her even, smothering her eventually. The only movement was the steady heavy of her flank, the subtle thump of her pulse just beneath her skin, and the occasional blink of her eyelids. She was still, but trembling, unable to hear or see or feel her feet or feel the bird and it felt like death, or as close to it as she could imagine. That idea did not scare her though, just the dishonesty of it - because there was still that blink, that heart beat, that breath. Ampere knew whatever she had escaped from for this moment, would find her again.

"Ampere".

It called her by name. She closed her eyes, trying to retain that blanket of nothingness, unwilling to face the world again so soon, whether her own or just all of it.
She heaved an audible sigh, the sound shuddering from her windpipe as her lungs gasped for more air, a steady burning ache settling in them and her limbs as the nerves re-awakened. Sweat trickled behind her ears and above her eyes, splashing down through the black hairs of her hide. Gradually Ampere awoke, whether she wanted to or not, and bit by bit that fabric spilled off and to the side.

She opened her eyes.

The electric blue of her gaze was like it's own light as it lifted through the dark of the forest. She blinked, staring at nothing, before turning towards the sound that had called her. It had died out a while ago, but she could still sense a presence, and it was to that she turned and found "Megaera." It wasn't who she expected, and the surprise of it was there in the voice that breathed out. Now that she had the mare before her she wondered if this was good or bad. Some part of her felt a need to speak about the troubles plaguing her, but Cera was one of the first to come to her mind, not her sultana. Maybe once it could have been, when Ampere thought them similar enough, but ever since that trial meeting her feelings on the Sunspear were more reserved.

"This is a fine place to train," she offered as some form of explanation, her words breathy with exhaustion.
Credits: Image by eagle-cry-designs @ DA

@Megaera

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
Megaera breathed into the silence, trying to pull in oxygen and let it push the minor fatigue from her limbs. The sheen of sweat, the harsh edges of the air that raked her throat; both were as near to nonexistent compared to the strange silence that seemed to stretch between she and Ampere. She heard the sigh, and waited, waited waited for yew blue mare to turn. She hated silences like this; hated those moments when the unknown and unknowable space of unspoken words stretched out in front of her like a dark uncharted ocean. In the midst of action she could be reactionary, instinctive, but when the Sunspear was forced to wait was when the weight of what could be suddenly felt so crippling.

This didn’t seem like Ampere, or at least in the limited scope of what Megaera knew of her. Why didn’t the blue turn? Why didn’t she speak? What was she doing tearing through the dark jungle in the middle of the night?

Megaera might have expected to hear to thunderous crashing of a monsters in the trees, whether it might have been the chancellor’s prey of having been chasing her in a predatory pursuit, but no. To her knowledge the mare was completely alone. Just running.

Ampere turned at last and though the gloom Megaera watched the mare with weary eyes. A place to train? something in that rang false but Meg could not conjure a satisfactory reason why she felt they way. She didn’t know this mare, not in any way that really mattered and the gap was as frustrating and uncomfortable as the ended silence. For all they had in common, for all the months of their acquaintance, they had yet to find satisfactory common ground. It unsettled Megaera, those heaping piles of unknowns and  so much more because the seat of them was so close to home.

The back and forth ticked in the Sunspear’s mind, hypocritically stretching the silence she hated while she stared at the mare from under a furrowed brow. If this was to end, perhaps she had to end it, but something inter wanted to hold back for fear of pushing this indifferent acquaintance toward animosity. Suck it up, Sunspear, there’s no point in dragging feet. "Well that’s true enough, go on then!" Gwaihir interjected, intruding on his bonded’s thoughts. It was uncomortable to have this nervous frustration rolling off of her, and so he—quite cheerfully— picked up his roll as her somewhat impartial voice of reason. He had circled around and perched himself on a high branch over looking the pair.

"I don't understand you." It was blunt, it was honest, and honestly a bit rushed as she forced the words out with an exasperated sigh. "Or at least, I don't think we understand each other. You don’t seem to like me and I guess that’s fine, but I don’t like feeling I can't trust you. I have a hard time trusting what I don't know and well, I don't know you, Ampere." She had tried being careful, tried being "diplomatic" when the mare had questioned her on there last patrol but that had gotten them nowhere. Time for a do-or-die kind of moment.

“Meg's Speech”
"Meg to Gwaihir"
"Gwaihir to Meg"
image credits
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::