the Rift

No rest for the wicked [Sneak Meeting]

Iona Posts: 100
World's Edge Specter atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 11 (birdsong) HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Iver :: Osprey :: None Kiki
iona
Iona flew a relatively easy patrol over the Edge.  The wind was cold, which caused her to grind her teeth uncomfortably, but it wasn’t enough to drive her earthbound yet.  Things had been relatively quiet in Helvoia, and in the Edge, of late.  This was something she both appreciated and caused the inherently wary mare to grow anxious.  When did quiet become too quiet?  To be fair, she hadn’t timed her arrival all too well.  Alysanne had never described Helovia as chaotic and Iona had stepped across the threshold amid battles between Gods and mortals, horses stepping from portals, and lands appearing where they hadn’t been before.  Maybe Helovia was overdue for a dose of quiet.  Even still, it made her uncomfortable to know that there was likely something brewing out there, be it more magical mayhem like she’d seen before or something from one of the rival herds.  At the end of the day it didn’t matter.  She wanted it kept out of the Edge and she wanted to know what it was before it threatened her family.  

She huffed and change course sharply.  She’d grown fond of this place and many of its inhabitants. There had been more new faces since Tembovu and Elsa had been crowned.  This got the painted mare thinking.  Perhaps there were more interested in spying than had been before.  Perhaps it was prudent to have a meeting.  Was she particularly thrilled at the prospect? No, not entirely. But duty calls.  There was more to being a spy than pilfering shiny objects off unsuspecting strangers.  She couldn’t keep tabs on all of Helovia on her own. 

With her mind made up, the mare landed in the open space not so far off from the cliffs.  She walked inland while calling out for those of the spy rank to join her – hoping to get out of the wind, somewhat.  “Sleuths, don’t make me come find you!”  she called, though the jest was clear it wasn’t evident in her tone. Deadpan humor was her particular specialty

And then she waited, casually resting a hind hoof as her inky black tail swished impatiently between her hocks.  

"The question isn't who's going to let me;
it's who's going to stop me."
image credits || quote: ayn rand

For all sneaks or anyone interested in spying!
@Argen
@Hesperos
@Kiuaji

Please tag IONA in all posts.
Force and magic permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
image credit 

d'Arcy Posts: 21
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 2 years :: Tallsun HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Laine

Half a year could seem like an awful long time when that was the extent of one’s life; d’Arcy was still in that stage when a day or a week or a month was almost literally a ‘forever’ and she was beginning to be outrageously bored by it. Six months of life and she was only little shadow in the heart of the World’s Edge. A nothing, a nobody, and precisely by her own inadvertent making. The girl didn’t know a lot of people and up to this point hadn’t cared to. Talking with other only invited them to ask questions and though she had no secrets worth hiding d’Arcy had an instinctive dislike for the nosey and a distrust for the friendly. Instead of meeting she had watched, slinking around when her boisterous brother was not there to give her away and trying to learn without having to interact with anyone and she wasn’t getting very far.

Her mother would often say she would be a warrior, but the little red girl couldn’t see the appeal of it. The only person she ever felt the need to defend was her brother, and in her limited experience she’d had more success batting her eyelashes than putting her ass on the line.

She was on her own again when she heard the call for the sleuths through the trees. Her mind gave a great tug, pulling itself from listless boredom to sharp interest. Another meeting? she had watched at the herd meeting when she had been small and it had been one of the most fascinating things she had seen. The ebb and flow of who commanded attention and when, the shifts in power and position, all done through what was said and what was left to silence. It had been tantamount to an addict’s first high and the prospect of another drew d’Arcy like a moth to a flame.

Careful to keep her steps silent in the snow, the girl picked her way towards the source of the call. She saw the movement first through the press of trees and slowed, trying to keep herself out of sight and in the shadows cast by the trans that ringed the small clearing. A black and white mare stood there, waiting and d’Arcy thought she must have been the summoner. Like Iona, the red girl waited for others to arrive, all her focus keenly aimed at the pegasus.

"."
[ooc:: Woopwoop! Baby's crashin, Someone take her under your tutelage and TEACH HER YOUR SNEAKY WAYS!!! Feel free to see her, she's not actually that sneaky yet.]

d'arcy
wear your heart on your cheek
but never on your sleeve
unless you wanna taste defeat
when I tell you that i love you
don't test my love
accept my love, don't test my love
cause maybe i don't love you all that much

Raeden Posts: 188
World's Edge Specter atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 5 Years 3Months HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Tin :: Plain Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Dressy

So innocent; pure & sweet.

The light colored mare was wondering around her new home. She had not spent too much time in Edge before she left, but now she called this place her home. Teal and silver eyes flicked around the new lands as her cream mane and tail blew in the soft breeze. Tin stayed at her side walking with pride next to his bonded. Raeden lifted her head to hear the sound of someone calling for sneaks. She had been in Edge for awhile and had not really found the mare she was looking for, so she went off in that direction.

Her steps were light and soft against the ground as teal eyes looked ahead and then around her surroundings. As she grew closer she could hear the sound of something hiding in the bushes, something creeping in the dark. Her grown dipped to Tin as he camouflaged him and his bonded with the brush around them. They blended in with the small bushes and the large plants. Tins magic was spot on and he could keep them hidden in the desert grounds. As they crept up closer and closer to the thing hiding they say a small filly creeping in the dense brush. Raeden and Tin quietly moved closer and closer to the small filly blending in with the brush all around. They came to a halt next to the young girl standing there perfectly quiet. Unless someone knew that Rae had this companion or could see past tins magic, no one would really see or hear them.

Raeden dipped her head to the small deer creature and the brush disappeared to finally show Raeden and Tin standing next to the child. You must blend into your surroundings better than that if you want to sneak around. I am Raeden what is your name little one? She smiled brightly and sweetly to the young foal as her teal eyes looked over her red body. Tin stood shyly on the other side of Raeden where he was not seen. Why don't we figure out what this black and white mare needs. I am sure she is the one who called for the sneaks. Raeden motioned she sharp crowned skull towards the small clearing as she took a step out into the light. She showed her companions identity as Tin stayed behind for a bit. The small deer creature looked at the little filly with bight green eyes. He quickly scurried to Raedens side as she halted. "I heard you call for the Sneaks, you must be Iona. The elephant king told me I had to seek you out. My name is Raeden, and this is Tin. The small deer dipped his great antlered skull down the same time Raeden did. Her cream skull then turned to see if the little filly was going to come out of hiding.

speaking

@Iona

@D'Arcy

Image Credits

iona
She didn’t have to wait long.  This she could appreciate, considering the bitter wind seemed to penetrate right to her very bones.  And the faces that appeared weren’t the ones she was expected, and she can’t say she wasn’t thoroughly enjoying the surprise. 

Iona may be a creature of somewhat crass manners and rough edges, but if she had one weakness, it was children.  She wouldn’t necessarily call herself maternal, though she had been a mother, but she had always had a soft spot for children.  While protective of little ones, she wasn’t quite as overprotective as her sister sometimes had tendency to be.  Maybe some would accuse her of corrupting the youth.  She didn’t particularly mind that distinction.  Regardless of her inner monologue, she struggled to suppress a smile when she could pick out the shape of a curious little one among the branches.  Unfortunate her vivid coloring did little to hide her in the bleak and bland colors of Frostfall.

However it wasn’t the child that stepped from the trees first, it was a mare that Iona hadn’t seen around the Edge before which immediately piqued her interest.  A new recruit, it seemed.  “I am indeed.  It’s good to meet you, Raeden,” she said, offering the mare a nod.  Still unaccustomed to what best practice for greeting companions she added, “and you as well, Tin,” as her eyes flickered from the cream colored mare, to the deer, and back again.

“Well then down to business, I suppose,” she said, simply.  She then set to the task of explaining what she had planned for their little group.

“Not everything about being a sneak is about stealing. Obviously that’s a big part of what we do – but when we have to be mindful of alliances we’re limited in what and whom we can steal from.  So we have to choose carefully when we do decide to try to attempt to take someone or something.”

However, there are other ways we can be useful to the Edge when we’re not actively stealing.  We’re sneaks, not thieves. Information is just as important as any shiny trinket and information can come from anyone, anywhere.  That’s what I challenge you to bring me.  Information.  Make contacts with members of other herds or outcasts that roam Helovia.  Converse with them.  Draw out details if you can.  You don’t have to be hidden to spy. You can often get what you need in plain sight in the light of day.”
  She paused for a moment, knowing there were many things she needed to clarify.

“I don’t want you to make friends just to betray them.  If you already have friends or acquaintances outside the Edge, that’s fine too – go see them.  I just want you to learn. This exchange of information is what can truly help the Edge. I don’t want us to ever be unaware of what’s going on outside the wall.”

“Do you think you could do by the time the snow melts and Birdsong comes?  I’m assigning myself the same task.  And if someone wants to come join the party,”
she said, drawing out the someone to draw the child’s attention for she’d not been forgotton.

“They could participate too – either here at home or outside the borders.  I’d even go with them if they asked…” she finished, wondering if the little one would take the bait. 

Babbly Iona babbles. Wanted to give people a chance to respond but this has been open long enough. 

YOUR MISSION, should you choose to accept it, is to go out into Helovia and talk with/meet some ponies from other herds OR outcasts and get some of the deets on their herd/life etc. Then bring that back to Iona. Also miss d'Arcy can have a private lesson here in the Edge or Iona is willing to go with her if she requires some adult supervision and wants to meet new people. ;D

@Raeden
@D'Arcy

image credit 

d'Arcy Posts: 21
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 2 years :: Tallsun HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Laine

The girl could not suppress her squeak of surprise when the pale mare appeared out of nowhere next to her. She had been hunkered down slightly and so instinctively tried to spring up and away from the spontaneous apparition but was instead shoved only into the side of the think bushes she had been trying to conceal herself among. catching her breath, her sharp little eyes darted around, trying ti discern how the woman had appeared so suddenly before focusing on the figure herself. The was gorgeous, d’Arcy thought, smiling sweetly down at her and the filly felt herself being draw in, as the was always drawn to beautiful things. Still, unsure if she was to be reprimanded for spying, she remained silent and wary for several long seconds as Raeden turned to join the meeting. The mare’s movement revealed the small deer creature and the red filly returned it’s stare with immense curiosity. When it scurried off to rejoin it’s bonded, d’Arcy felt even a little disappointed, companions had always been a fascinating concept and this one seemed immensely more magical that her Mother’s lion.

She hesitated for a moment, only following when Raeden glanced back at her. She sidled up to the meeting eyeing the mares warily but relaxing so enough as the realized neither was going to tell her off for trying to eaves drop. She listened carefully as Iona spoke, drinking in every word even though should would not have dreamed that the pegasus meant to include her in anything. She filed away names and positions into the little hierarchical chart in her mind: Iona the Spectre and Raeden the Sleuth (with Tin, the glowy-deer thing).

It took only a sliver of a moment for the sharp-witted girl to realize the full implications of the Spactre’s words when Iona indicated that she might be included in the fact-finding missions. Her eyes went wide and her while face brightened she was lifted into transports of delight. Though normally so guarded the girl was not yet practiced in hiding the rush of childish enthusiasm. She could be useful she could learn and what was more she might even get to go outside the Edge!

“OH! Can I?” It was half a shout have a squeal of delight, and burst out before she could reign it in. Her mind was already zipping about, trying to think where she should go first before remembering her manners. (Because adults liked manners, didn't they?) She took a deep breath, trying to compose herself again and mostly managing if one didn’t focus to closely on her little hooves that were still doing tiny little dances. “Sorry, I mean, please, may I help? I am d’Arcy, daughter of Nyx.” She had been instructed to introduce herself as such, and so she followed suite. “My father lives in the Aurora Basin, perhaps I could go a see him?” She asked somewhat hesitantly, not sure this was what the Specter had in mind.

"."
[ooc:: yay! Let the training begin?? lol @Raeden @Iona]

d'arcy
wear your heart on your cheek
but never on your sleeve
unless you wanna taste defeat
when I tell you that i love you
don't test my love
accept my love, don't test my love
cause maybe i don't love you all that much

Raeden Posts: 188
World's Edge Specter atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 5 Years 3Months HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Tin :: Plain Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Dressy

So innocent; pure & sweet.

She chuckled lightly as she watched the filly bounce out of the shadows. Her deep red body seemed so excited to be here, and she wondered how Iona would take her. To Raeden's relief she was kind and very welcoming to the filly. Tin watched the child with a kind eye once he saw Raeden was kind to the creature. His braveness finally showed its face as he walked over to sniff the small creatures shoulder. They were about the same size making the little deer more curious. His heavy skull reached out to get close to her shoulder if she would allow. His head tilted sideways looking at her, as his soft eyes held a welcoming feel finally.

Raeden listened to the mare speak what sh had to say. She spoke about what their job really was. Raeden knew it wasn't always about stealing, she knew it was part of her job to find out information about other herds. Her eyes traced over the mare as she spoke. her head nodded with agreement as the words found heir way to her cream ears. When the mare was finally done Raeden smiled softly before she spoke.I agree with you. I have no problem accepting this task. She nodded her head with a chuckle as she watched the filly react to the news of joining them. Raeden listened to her name and memorized it with the face. Tin stood my the small girl flicking his tail with joy waiting for the girl to react to him.

She then spoke of the Basin, Raeden brightened when she heard the young girls voice. I know you said that someone can do this tack as well, and you would go with them. I was wondering if you did not want to make the hike to the Basin. Perhaps someone would like to accompany me up there. I would like to go speak to me sister Hotaru. So I would be heading that way anyways to visit with her and see how everything is in the Basin. Her teal eyes glanced over the the small filly as she looked back to the mare But that is up to D'Arcy and your self Iona.

words.
speaking

Image Credits

@Iona
@D'Arcy

iona
There’s nothing that can crack through Iona’s stony exterior quite like children, and d’Arcy is no exception.  Seeing the girl’s enthusiasm is more than enough to draw a small smile to Iona’s lips.  It wasn’t often that individuals were enthused to attend meetings and the like.  But kids? They were happy to be included in anything

Though seeing the filly appear on her own, because it was evident that she didn’t belong to Raeden by their introduction, did conjure the memory of Iona’s first meeting with Erthe.  Where was the girl’s mother?  She knew better than to ask, but it didn’t stop her from wondering…or feeling instantly protective of the girl. 

But it is Raeden her attention shifts to as the pale mare speaks.  Iona’s dark ears prick at the mare mentions her connections to the Basin. If she had to hazard a guess, she’d assume that the woman is a native-born to these lands if for no other reason than her age and her web of connections to this place.  However, it was entirely possible that she had come here with her relations like Iona had done.  Either way, she takes it as affirmation that re-establishing connections and networks outside the Edge is exactly what they need to be doing.  The fact that Raeden – and even little d’Arcy – both had connections within another herd was encouraging.  

It was certainly a good place to start.  Their network was lacking.  Eventually she wanted to have eyes and ears all over Helovia.  But for the time being, this would be more than enough.  

“Well then, it seems like a trip to the Basin is in order – for both of you,” the painted mare said with a nod to the pair of them. Her green gaze flicked contentedly between the pair, pleased with the quality of those who had come to the meeting, if not the quantity.  She shifted then, looking and speaking directly at the filly.  “d’Arcy if you’d like to go to the Basin with Raeden, that’s more than okay with me. I’d certainly feel more comfortable with the two of you traveling together. Then we’ll see about some lessons in being a good sneak when you get home and tell me what you’ve learned. Fair trade, don’t you think?”  Again, a smile crept across the mare’s usually stoic features. 

Her attention then shifted back to the pale mare, still wearing the shadow of a smile, her tone was easy – a reflection of her good mood. “I appreciate you offering to take her, Raeden.  I’ll travel to lands in the south – see what and who I find there.  Then we can meet up again sometime in birdsong after we’ve had time to make our respective journeys.”

You only have to reply if you want to finish out the meeting on your end <3
@Raeden 
@D'Arcy

image credit